PDA

View Full Version : Change in Philosophy?

russ99
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Kenny purposely didn't add veteran players to the roster this offseason in the hopes that some of the rookies and younger players would fill in the gaps.

Other than Getz (and the jury's still out on him), that plan was a abject failure. Owens and Anderson are gone, Fields and/or Wise could be next and Lillibridge is seemingly banished to Charlotte.

I wonder if Kenny's philosophy towards younger players (with the obvious exception of Beckham) may change, or revert to previous years of trading any and all prospects for veterans to help the club now, since he got so badly burned going young this spring...

Or would the depth of talent now in the Sox system put on the brakes a bit?

TomBradley72
07-28-2009, 04:49 PM
I hope Beckham, Getz, Richard, Poreda, Flowers, Viciedo, Jordan Danks, etc. + this year's draft picks would build some credibility around shifting some of our strategy to player development.

35th and Shields
07-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Kenny purposely didn't add veteran players to the roster this offseason in the hopes that some of the rookies and younger players would fill in the gaps.

Other than Getz (and the jury's still out on him), that plan was a abject failure. Owens and Anderson are gone, Fields and/or Wise could be next and Lillibridge is seemingly banished to Charlotte.

I wonder if Kenny's philosophy towards younger players (with the obvious exception of Beckham) may change, or revert to previous years of trading any and all prospects for veterans to help the club now, since he got so badly burned going young this spring...

I think this philosophy was more of a must then something Kenny wanted to do.

Sure he wants to have a good system, everyone does, but I think when the economy started to falter, having to lower payroll because of the economy, I don't think there was another option if this team was going to remain competitive.

I think keeping talent flowing in the system will remain a high priority and when a player gets too expensive, keep the line rolling.

DSpivack
07-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Owens, Anderson, Fields, Wise and Lillibridge are all pretty much garbage.

Beckham, Getz, Alexei, Floyd, Danks, Richard, Poreda and TCQ are all young.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't think his philosophy will change. KW will want to integrate some young players onto the 25-man roster every year. The odds are, many will not make it. So you evaluate, test, and adjust as you get more information, moving some out and others in.

In the middle of the season, when you're in a pennant race, you have to bring in some vets for the last several months unless someone in the minors is really, really ready today. That is not the case presently for any position players.

But I think the overall trend is to get younger and faster. It will take several more years, however, to accomplish that. The Sox have some nice talent in the minors today, much better than a year ago and certainly two years ago, and some will eventually pan out.

BleacherBandit
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't know if it was much of a philosophy.

It's pretty much a reality that you need younger, faster players to supplement those old, powerful guys. Most every team slaps it self every few years and restocks itself in this manner

Tragg
07-28-2009, 06:47 PM

I certainly hope not.

I don't ever remember him doing that anyway.
People BEGGED him to do it in 2005, and thank goodness he didn't. Many are begging him to do that now.

SoxSpeed22
07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Kenny set out to add more overall talent that he could this year. That is not something that gets fixed within a few months. He had to see what he had with the current crop of minor leaguers before he made any more big decisions. So far, Richard and Getz are the only ones left, even though they have had their ups and downs. I think that the management will take a good look at all of the young guys after the season.
Half of our lineup (AJ, Thome, Paulie, Pods and JD) probably will not be here in two years (which btw, is 74 of our 119 home runs and 245 RBIs). KW understands this and is trying to add more guys to build a consistent winner. Kenny will still work to build more overall talent in the Sox in the majors and the minors.

balke
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
The philosophy to me is that the economy is falling, and the Sox are getting older. We've known for years that this team was built to fall apart around this time. Kenny has veterans that need to be kept or weeded out.

I think he did what he should do this offseason.

1) Test Ramirez at SS
2) Move on from Joe Crede and his bad back
3) Don't pay Uribe 5 million
4) Don't overpay for starting pitching in the offseason when you can address that issue at the deadline if needed.

Gutting the team's parts and starting over completely was not an option, and would've landed them next to nothing player wise in return.

He's got a young 3Bman right now who's playing fantastic baseball. I doubt he wanted him up this early, but there he is. Jerry Owens was the test for CF, but there wasn't much out there this offseason IIRC.

Swisher needed to go, he played horribly last year, and really isn't that good anyways if this is all he can be. Sure 25+ hr's is great, and .400 OBP is great, but he's defensively a corner outfielder, and the Sox have 2 better than he is. He was overpaid super utility that would've ultimately played CF and cost Buehrle his perfect game with his mediocre jumps and range.

Kenny did what he had to do from my standpoint. What were you honestly hoping for? There was small hope he could've gotten Figgins... the Angels didn't seem that interested.

I overall think the young look to this team is great. Its not too many young guys, just enough to add speed hope and excitement.

Right now the only position I'm still not comfortable with is CF, but I wouldn't want to trade another starting position player (unless it is Pods and yes he has been great so I'm okay with him for now) or pitcher for an upgrade. I honestly could just deal for now with what the Sox have, and hope for Jordan Danks or Mitchell to develop. If they could trade for Rios with prospects or a reliever I might like that too.

russ99
07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Kenny set out to add more overall talent that he could this year. That is not something that gets fixed within a few months. He had to see what he had with the current crop of minor leaguers before he made any more big decisions. So far, Richard and Getz are the only ones left, even though they have had their ups and downs. I think that the management will take a good look at all of the young guys after the season.
Half of our lineup (AJ, Thome, Paulie, Pods and JD) probably will not be here in two years (which btw, is 74 of our 119 home runs and 245 RBIs). KW understands this and is trying to add more guys to build a consistent winner. Kenny will still work to build more overall talent in the Sox in the majors and the minors.

Well, that's kind of my point. Seeing that older players will be leaving the Sox in the coming years, would KW trust unproven rookies and youngsters to primarily fill holes or not? And this season is fairly moot, since we do have Beckham, Richard and Getz contributing. I'm much more wondering how that impacts the coming offseason.

I just don't see him abandoning his "Trader Kenny" ways, especially since both times he went the reloading route (2007 and this year) things haven't gone as expected.

I also wonder if the starting infield will undergo some changes in the offseason, since with Thome and/or Dye potentially leaving, 3B would be a logical place to put a power bat to replace one of them.

balke
07-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, that's kind of my point. Seeing that older players will be leaving the Sox in the coming years, would KW trust unproven rookies and youngsters to primarily fill holes or not? And this season is fairly moot, since we do have Beckham, Richard and Getz contributing. I'm much more wondering how that impacts the coming offseason.

I just don't see him abandoning his "Trader Kenny" ways, especially since both times he went the reloading route (2007 and this year) things haven't gone as expected.

I also wonder if the starting infield will undergo some changes in the offseason, since with Thome and/or Dye potentially leaving, 3B would be a logical place to put a power bat to replace one of them.

I would say he will do what he does best, which is buy good talent low and hope they perform. Dye, Pods, Floyd, Quentin. He's always looking for the talent. Age is only factor if they are near dinosaur I think. If they are young enough to give 3 years, he'll buy if the price is right.

tsoxman
07-28-2009, 08:58 PM

Why should his philosophy change? The players that we had drafted in recent years are not very good. Everybody pretty much knew that. That's why they fired Duane Schaefer!. We have gotten much better recently in drafts with the Danks, Beckam, etc, but other than Gordon, these guys are not ready yet.

If you make a stew with lousy ingedients you end up with a bad stew.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Russ:

You're assuming this past off season was Kenny's call in the first place.

I think it probably was but I'm not 100% sure based on the owners comments in March. (regarding potential advertising revenue losses for 2010)

Either Kenny blew it big time again (shades of the 07 bullpen) by having all this 'faith' in his young untested players or he was under orders to do something he didn't really want to do.

Either option is not good is it?

It's clear many of the players on the roster at the start of the season had no business being on it (both journeyman castoff's and kids) and many of the "kids" simply haven't done very well (with the notable exception of Beckum)

Lip