PDA

View Full Version : Why Your Stadium Sucks: Miller Park

WhiteSoxFTW
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
I've been reading the articles about each stadium and the one about Miller Park is, by far, the best. The stories at the end of the article are hilarious. Check it out....

http://deadspin.com/5322107/why-your-stadium-sucks-miller-park?skyline=true&s=x

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I've been reading the articles about each stadium and the one about Miller Park is, by far, the best. The stories at the end of the article are hilarious. Check it out....

http://deadspin.com/5322107/why-your-stadium-sucks-miller-park?skyline=true&s=x

Uh oh, US Cellular is up next :o: :tongue:

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM

I can't wait to hear all the remarks about how ghetto the surrounding neighborhood is.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-28-2009, 03:56 PM

I didn't even see that. He did bash Wrigley pretty good though, too.

Marqhead
07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Hilarious, and spot on.

Thanks for posting this. The stories were gold.

TDog
07-28-2009, 04:00 PM

U.S. Cellular is a much better place to watch a baseball game than Miller Park -- unless it's raining.

But people can tell you horror stories about any park if you dig deep enough.

BleacherBandit
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
The funniest one yet has been the Oakland-Alameda Collesium.

Who knew there was so much dope smoked there.

TomBradley72
07-28-2009, 05:57 PM
U.S. Cellular is a much better place to watch a baseball game than Miller Park -- unless it's raining.

But people can tell you horror stories about any park if you dig deep enough.

I don't understand the hate for Miller Park....I've had a blast at every game I've attended, the food is great (much better than the Cell), wide selection of beverages to choose from (more than the Cell), it's cleaner with better customer service and better tailgating facilities. Mezzanine level seats are great...interesting perspective/angle for seeing a game. The only thing I don't like is some of the visibility/sight lines during sunny/day games...with the windows, etc...that can be distracting.

As far as a lot of drunk fans (referenced in the article)...I've seen a fight at every WSox game I've attended in the past few years. Very rare at Miller Park.

Marqhead
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't understand the hate for Miller Park....I've had a blast at every game I've attended, the food is great (much better than the Cell), wide selection of beverages to choose from (more than the Cell), it's cleaner with better customer service and better tailgating facilities. Mezzanine level seats are great...interesting perspective/angle for seeing a game. The only thing I don't like is some of the visibility/sight lines during sunny/day games...with the windows, etc...that can be distracting.

As far as a lot of drunk fans (referenced in the article)...I've seen a fight at every WSox game I've attended in the past few years. Very rare at Miller Park.

I think most of the hatred directed towards Miller Park has to do with the fans. I'm a big fan of the park, and I've been to several games there over the last few years. The majority of Brewers fans I know are educated, but the ones that show up for the game seem to be more anti-cub than pro-Brewer. For the most part I haven't had any problems with Brewers fans at games mostly because they assume I hate the Cubs as much as they do when I'm wearing Sox gear.

I think the food is better at the Cell, but the drink selection is much better at Miller Park. Tailgating is a whole different experience up in Milwaukee, it's equivalent to a football game and is a ton of fun for a weekend game.

As far as seating is concerned I haven't ever had a bad seat when I've gone. My seats for the Brewers-Sox series this year had a few sight line problems with right field, but it wasn't anything to be overly concerned about. Generally, I find the park to be a bit cavernous roof open or closed, but overall I've enjoyed almost every section I've sat it.

Fights and drunkenness happen at every baseball game, and I've seen full out brawls at Miller Park. I guess it depends on which games you go to.

Overall I love going to games at Miller Park, because I love going to baseball games in general. I'm pretty easily pleased when it comes to sporting events, and the little things about a park or fanbase don't really get under my skin. I would recommend a yearly trip to a Brewers game to almost anyone, as I have had some very enjoyable experiences up there.

twentywontowin
07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm tempted to send in my story at The Cell where one of the deans at UofC tossed a full beer on me because the people coming into the seats dribbled a couple drops of beer on her.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I can't wait to hear all the remarks about how ghetto the surrounding neighborhood is.
I bet it will be plastered with photos of the Ligues.

TDog
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM

One of the reason there is so much hate (I would characterize it as disappointment) for Miller Park is that many people go there expected it to be a better place to watch a baseball game. There are many more bad seats there than there are at many other parks. Locally, there was tremendous disappointment because Brewers fans found the food wasn't as good as it was at County Stadium. When I was a Brewers season ticket holder, I often gave away tickets on weekends so I could drive down to Chicago if the Sox were at home. I never found Miller Park to be cleaner -- more removed from the game and more sterile perhaps, but sterility is supposed to be a flaw at the Cell. With the roof closed, Miller Park can be a gloomy place with horrid acoustics.

But I don't drink beer at baseball games, and I would never consider good tailgating to be an attribute of a good ballpark.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2009, 07:07 PM
The two games I went to in 2007, I sat in seats that both had some sort of obstructed view. The first game was a night game against the DBacks, and I sat in the Field Bleachers in right field. I couldn't see the slide their mascot used when the Brewers hit home runs or the entire outfield jumbotron, because the Lodge Bleachers were blocking my view. The second game was on a weekend afternoon, and our Terrace Box seats had a view that couldn't see the RF foul pole or part of RF and the 1st base line. We just went off of the fan reactions to know what went on in that area. And, even though we were sitting in the upper deck, I still felt like things were pretty dark in there.

rowand33
07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
This is hilarious:

It's bad enough that most of the fans couldn't name more than five players that play for the team (unless, of course, '**** the Cubs' is the name of a new utility infielder), but they don't even understand basic baseball stategy (e.g., booing a one-out bunt by the pitcher with runners at the corners). Oh, well. **** the Cubs anyway.

BleacherBandit
07-29-2009, 12:21 AM
This is hilarious:

It's bad enough that most of the fans couldn't name more than five players that play for the team (unless, of course, '**** the Cubs' is the name of a new utility infielder), but they don't even understand basic baseball stategy (e.g., booing a one-out bunt by the pitcher with runners at the corners). Oh, well. **** the Cubs anyway.

Like the Twins tonight when they booed the call on a 0-2 strike from Nathan?

AnkleSox
07-31-2009, 05:16 PM
The one for the Cell is now up...there's maybe one or two worth reading, the rest are exactly what you'd expect. I have to say I'm pretty sure most aren't true, which makes me hesitant to believe stories about the other parks.

twentywontowin
07-31-2009, 05:30 PM
The one for the Cell is now up...there's maybe one or two worth reading, the rest are exactly what you'd expect. I have to say I'm pretty sure most aren't true, which makes me hesitant to believe stories about the other parks.

My story about the UofC dean made the article surprisingly. I actually have witnesses to attest to it.

Dan the Man
07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
The reason I'm not bugged by the article is that these are bad experiences, not reviews on the ballpark. The only negative review of the park itself is of course the upper deck climb.

mzh
07-31-2009, 05:54 PM
My story about the UofC dean made the article surprisingly. I actually have witnesses to attest to it.

So did you get her tickets to a later game in the end?

twentywontowin
07-31-2009, 05:56 PM
So did you get her tickets to a later game in the end?

I never asked for them. I still have the ticket though, I should have scanned it and sent it to Deadspin.

doublem23
08-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Another huge pitch for WSI and George's interview with Phil Bess from... god that was a long time ago.

:cool:

BleacherBandit
08-02-2009, 02:26 AM

I agree with the review, and I wish that we could have gotten Armour Park. However, I believe that with the renovations, the Cell is a great place to catch a game. It wasn't so for a long time. I never really liked seeing games there, especially since we used to get seats in the upper deck during the 90s. Now me and my father splurge on lower box seats more often.

However, some of the comments, or "views from the stands" are down-right stupid. I've been reading these stadium reviews, and most of the bad things said about them just seem to be about the drunkenness of the fans combined to the stereotypes of those fan bases. To which there are two responses:

1. Some fans at a sport event are going to be drunk, it doesn't matter where you go.

2. When you comment about a stereotype of a fan base, it's prone to be wrong. Case in point, the guy who trashed our fans by saying quote, "Leave your suburb SUV's at home and pull up in your IROC-Z or Fiero and you'll be just fine. You may get a fist bump or a shout out by one of the guys from youtube's 'My New Haircut.' See also: William Ligue Jr."

This guy obviously doesn't understand that "My New Haircut" was making fun of the New Jersey/Long Island clubbing scene. You'd be more prone to see that stereotype at a Mets game.

But I do appreciate that this review was less harsh than the Miller Park review and less harsh on the fans than the Busch Stadium review.

AnkleSox
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I agree with the review, and I wish that we could have gotten Armour Park. However, I believe that with the renovations, the Cell is a great place to catch a game. It wasn't so for a long time. I never really liked seeing games there, especially since we used to get seats in the upper deck during the 90s. Now me and my father splurge on lower box seats more often.

However, some of the comments, or "views from the stands" are down-right stupid. I've been reading these stadium reviews, and most of the bad things said about them just seem to be about the drunkenness of the fans combined to the stereotypes of those fan bases. To which there are two responses:

1. Some fans at a sport event are going to be drunk, it doesn't matter where you go.

2. When you comment about a stereotype of a fan base, it's prone to be wrong. Case in point, the guy who trashed our fans by saying quote, "Leave your suburb SUV's at home and pull up in your IROC-Z or Fiero and you'll be just fine. You may get a fist bump or a shout out by one of the guys from youtube's 'My New Haircut.' See also: William Ligue Jr."

This guy obviously doesn't understand that "My New Haircut" was making fun of the New Jersey/Long Island clubbing scene. You'd be more prone to see that stereotype at a Mets game.

But I do appreciate that this review was less harsh than the Miller Park review and less harsh on the fans than the Busch Stadium review.

These are pretty much my feelings on it. Man, Armour Park would have been a dream....

The renovations in the past few years however have made it a much more pleasant place to watch a game. Luckily I've avoided the bleachers and upper deck the past few seasons but I definitely have had a few bad experiences with people in the past. Unfortunately if a non-fan sees one fight they immediately play the white trash/trailer trash card.

KenBerryGrab
08-04-2009, 03:51 PM
The upper deck is so much nicer since the renovation. The roof makes it feel a lot like the old park.

The park's hidden treats are the first ten rows of upper deck seats in the infield, especially if you don't like people walking between you and the game.

OldRomanPizza
08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
To be honest, I thought the insults were a little weak sauce and was disappointed they couldn't do better. :D:

Foulke You
08-06-2009, 06:58 PM
To be honest, I thought the insults were a little weak sauce and was disappointed they couldn't do better. :D:
I agree. I was expecting far worse. It was just the standard "First Base Coach Attackers" and "Oh my goodness is the upper deck high!" stuff that always gets trotted out. The Miller Park review was far more vicious.