PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: trade rumors impact on jobs

thedudeabides
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Bob Nightengale, who in my opinion is the best national baseball writer, explores how out of control trade rumors have gotten, and how they affect the players, agents, and front offices. It's a good read.

Nightengale (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2009-07-27-base-trades_N.htm)

jabrch
07-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Great article - thanks!

downstairs
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Very good article.

Yeah, its amazing how standards have lowered. I do blame the media first though. Sure, the Internet breeds all sorts of crazy rumors 24/7, but these guys now fight to be the first to "break" a rumor! Not the truth, but the rumor itself has become golden.

At one time the standard was "we've learned first hand that so-and-so is being shopped for so-and-so". Now its breaking news that "people are saying that so-and-so is being shopped..."

If I post here that The Sox and The Yankees are in talks to trade Alex Rodriguez, a sportscaster can go on the air, and perfectly truthfully say that "people are talking about a possible Rodriguez trade!"

Because its true- people are talking about it.

Oblong
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I do like the points about the lack of concern among people about being wrong. They'll cloak it in "sources say" or attribute it to someone else, taking themselves off the hook.

At the same time, maybe these GM's need to do a better job among themselves of not leaking things, that way when we 'hear' something as fans or bloggers, we'll know it's not from a good source since they don't leak that info.

Madvora
07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
It is nuts. I've seen crap dreamed up right here on WSI that ended up being talked about on the radio shortly after. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was a post by someone just pulling up a "what if" thing and within days it was on the Score or ESPN1000.