PDA

View Full Version : Weird/great catch in Giants-Pirates game

Jjav829
07-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Randy Winn hits a line drive to right field. Garrett Jones (who had just misplayed a ball in right) comes running in, attempts to catch the ball, but has it go off the heel of his glove. It falls and he kicks the ball, without it having touched the ground, right to Pirates 2B Delwyn Young, who was running out on the play, and Young barehands it on a dive. The umps blew it and said the ball touched the ground, so the runner from 3rd scored, though Randy Winn, who must have been confused as hell as to what happened, was tagged out while trying to advance to second.

Weird play. Worth catching the highlight because, well, how many times have you ever seen that?

BleacherBandit
07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
The umps gave Murphy that stupid toss to first base a few weeks ago. They should have give Jones/Young this one.

JermaineDye05
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
The umps gave Murphy that stupid toss to first base a few weeks ago. They should have give Jones/Young this one.

The play was bang bang, it could have gone either way.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Pretty crazy catch. Here is a link to the official game recap and the replay.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090727&content_id=6092398&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

downstairs
07-29-2009, 12:38 PM

They shouldn't ever "give" anyone anything. They need to make the right call.

Now, I knew the call was wrong going into seeing the video- but a trained ump should have seen it hit his foot. Heck- the fact that it sailed that far off his foot sorta proves it didn't hit the ground. It was clear to me based off that alone.

Oh well, its not the biggest deal- and it was a wild play!

VeeckAsInWreck
07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
You couldn't recreate this if you tried. :o: Good reflexes all around on that play.

BleacherBandit
07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
At least the out was made on that play. That's all I can say. I officially count that catch as being made. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2009, 02:03 PM
At least the missed call wasn't the difference between a win and loss, but, that's some extremely shoddy umpiring!