PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-27 Stupid Dome Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Whatever. Another TwinkieDome game off the schedule.

Pear-Zin-Ski
Gift-wrapped in the 2nd inning...someone has to start hitting the ball other than PK and Beckham....

ndgt10
Only one game away from complete mediocrity!

And by the way Jenks, that's how you close a game. I'd much rather have Nathan than out of shape Jenks.

Red Barchetta
07-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Emotional roller coaster this season. In almost every game but not coming out on top. Hopefully get the next two...:(:

WhiteSox1989
The place sucks, we know, but we got to stop blaming loosing on that place.

Sox LOST, because they didn't have clutch hitting.

CanBuehrleWait
Ugggh 3 more errors tonight. This team has got to clean it up on that front

Noneck
Can't give away runs there.

Gavin

And by the way Jenks, that's how you close a game. I'd much rather have Nathan than out of shape Jenks.

What are you talking about? Jenks didn't never do no wrong, it's the offense's fault.

GoGoCrede
I bet the Alexei/AJ exchanging of words will be blown out of proportion in the media.

thomas35forever

Give it a ****ing rest already. Only when Jenks sucks do people say he's out of shape. At least he gets the job done. Would you rather have Mike MacDougal closing games?

Blueprint1

:dtroll:It's one game. Why are you calling out Jenks?

ChicagoHoosier
07-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Three of the last four losses could have been wins. All were losses.

Need to turn some of these close losses into Ws or we'll end up 2nd or 3rd this year.

:angry:

LoveYourSuit
Whenever the Sox decide they want to wake up and take this division will be fine with me.

You can't expect to play 163 games again.

WhiteSox5187
Defense wins ball games. You gotta catch the ****ing ball.

WhiteSox1989

Here we go.

ms620
Terrible 2nd inning. This is the 2nd game in a row that AJ has been careless behind he plate. The defense needs to tighten up. It would be nice for the Sox to steal a game vs the Twins or the Tigers. We cannot touch their closers.

stacksedwards
The place sucks, we know, but we got to stop blaming loosing on that place.

Sox LOST, because they didn't have clutch hitting.
No we lost because we had 3 errors. Two of which cost us runs

Sockinchisox
What are you talking about? Jenks didn't never do no wrong, it's the offense's fault.

Don't feed the trolls.

SoxGirl4Life
I love the Dome. I love the Twins. They are amazing. I'm in awe of their greatness. Too bad they ever have to lose a game. They're so fundamentally sound, they deserve to win every game. We are humbled by them. They are the best.

WhiteSox1989
Defense wins ball games. You gotta catch the ****ing ball.
This too.

whitesoxfan
07-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Should be 4 out of 5 on this trip.

The offense has to ****ing wake up and score more runs when we're leading. You can't expect your pitching staff to hold one-run leads for the duration of the ballgame. Our offense after the third inning was laughable at best.

At least TCQ was making very solid contact tonight and Danks was great besides the homer by Cuddyer.

GoGoCrede
Here we go.

Original, eh?

LoveYourSuit
the place sucks, we know, but we got to stop blaming loosing on that place.

potw

GlassSox
Errors not the dome cost us this game.:angry:

BleacherBandit
I don't know. I hate infield singles. Twins seem to get too many of them in this ****hole.

They'll burn next year.

gobears1987
well the Twins had a 5 out inning thanks to the defense.

WhiteSox1989
Yep.

ChicagoHoosier
Go Rangers.

WhiteSox1989
07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Original, eh?
It's get to be too much..

guillensdisciple
First off, I think the Sox will win the series. Yes, I am stupid blah blah blah.

The offense has been the downfall of this team in the past 5 games. The bullpen had something to do it, but we have lost 3 games by 1 run. What does that mean, that the offense is putting pressure on the bullpen to keep the game close. It is a dual effort by the offense and bullpen, and the White Sox should not be getting shut out by pitchers with era's over 4 or 5. The only pitcher that deserved a win against the Sox was Verlander. There should never be an excuse for an offense doing just enough to win.

Pear-Zin-Ski

If the offense isn't producing (like so....) then its the defense's job to back us up...its not like we had to play stellar ****ing D tonight...in fact far from it! One less dropped ball and we would've won...just one less error!!!!

kittle42
Offense is again HR or nothing generally. Defense has been generally bad. Pitching has had to be perfect. That's tough.

LoveYourSuit
I bet the Alexei/AJ exchanging of words will be blown out of proportion in the media.

Que Paso?

WhiteSox1989
I love the Dome. I love the Twins. They are amazing. I'm in awe of their greatness. Too bad they ever have to lose a game. They're so fundamentally sound, they deserve to win every game. We are humbled by them. They are the best.

That's the spirit--HAWK???:cool:

Jurr
Dear Sox:
At some point you need to get over your mental issue with playing the Twins in the Metrodome. You CANNOT keep giving games away. Might I add that this half of the schedule features a great number of games against very tough opponents. If you keep tripping over your own feet, you will find yourselves out of contention in the blink of an eye. Stop blowing saves, commuting stupid errors, and playing with an overall lack of focus. Thanks.

ChicagoHoosier
Ok, need a ruling here. Looked to ME like that Span catch was a ball going over the wall on a line. Would it have been out had he been a little more shallow, or just off the wall?

Boondock Saint
The negatives:

The errors in the 2nd hurt us, and too much swinging for the fences instead of for base hits hurt us.

The Positives:

Danks looked good, Linebrink looked good, and Carlos is looking like he's starting to come around. We can still win this series.

Tragg
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Sloppy defense and corpseball. I don't know what the verdict is on Alexei at short, etc.

Starting pitching remains the STRENGTH of this team.

ms620

But the thing is, games like this are going to happen. That is why you need to make sure you do not give away games from the closer position. Offense is struggling, defense isnt playijng too well, but if Jenks did his job, they would have 2 more wins right now. So Jenks blowing those games effects a lot more than just those 2 games. It makes the margin of error much much less.

Jollyroger2
Errors, weak hitting....what else is new? Calling this team mediocre would be generous. Yawn.

WhiteSox1989
Que Paso?
Oh, you missed that? Good times. I expect Ozzie to blow up very soon.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Go Rangers.

Why are you cheering for a bunch of Chris Rongey s?

GoGoCrede
Que Paso?

They were jawing at each other after that bad inning, and according to Cowley (I know, I know :rolleyes:), one of them was restrained by Dye.

Team ice cream trip again, LYS.

Pear-Zin-Ski
Sloppy defense and corpseball. I don't know what the verdict is on Alexei at short, etc.

Starting pitching remains the STRENGTH of this team.

Every time Alexei threw to first it seemed that Paulie had to shift to make the pick...I don't know what's going on with TCM....

WhiteSox1989
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
They were jawing at each other after that bad inning, and according to Cowley (I know, I know :rolleyes:), one of them was restrained by Dye.

Alexei was held back by Dye, SUPPOSEDLY.

I mean, could they even understand each other?

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok, need a ruling here. Looked to ME like that Span catch was a ball going over the wall on a line. Would it have been out had he been a little more shallow, or just off the wall?

Not going out.

A Double at best.

Gavin
07-27-2009, 09:35 PM
alexei was held back by dye, supposedly.

I mean, could they even understand each other?

bubble gum.

strewn.

on the field.

SoxGirl4Life
Sox gave this game away.

guillensdisciple

How did A.J. understand what Alexei was saying, and why were they jawing at each other?

I missed the bad inning-what happened?

mccoydp
07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Sox handed the Twinkies this game on a silver platter.

Sigh.

Get them tomorrow.

SOXPHILE
07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Another 4-3 game. The sixth since the All Star break. Maybe they should, oh, score more than 3 or 4 runs in a game.

soltrain21
07-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm far more tired of people blaming the dome than losing to the Twins over and over again.

SoxGirl4Life
:welcome: Hi 58 guests

WhiteSox1989
In other news..I am happy we have Paulie and Beckham.:D:

GoGoCrede
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
How did A.J. understand what Alexei was saying, and why were they jawing at each other?

I missed the bad inning-what happened?

No idea if they understood each other, but they were definitely both yelling. The bad inning involved several costly errors. It was ugly.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
i'm far more tired of people blaming the dome than losing to the twins over and over again.

potw (#2)

Soxman219
07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Looks like Buehrle will have to throw a perfect game tomorrow.

Jurr
The funny thing about this team is the fact that adding a guy like Halladay would probably not help a damn thing. If this team could produce consistent offense and field the baseball, the starting pitching would be more than enough on almost every night. Every starter on this team deserves an apology.

GoGoCrede

They're all Sox fans coming to commiserate about the loss, of course. Welcome! :cool:

SoxGirl4Life
Detroit lost

SoxGirl4Life
07-27-2009, 09:40 PM
They're all Sox fans coming to commiserate about the loss, of course. Welcome! :cool:

They're 70 of them now! lol..

Tragg
Sox gave this game away.
We have a game to Detroit too.
Enough of this.

whitesoxfan
Detroit lost

Thankfully.

guillensdisciple
07-27-2009, 09:42 PM

I am going to enjoy the next two games when we beat them. All of a sudden our message board will sink to 1 guest.

Also, were they jawing at each other because the errors were Alexei's fault?

Woofer
I was one of the 58 guests. I really don't have anything to say, other than that I am really disappointed in the performance of this team. I do not like taunted by the Cub fans. This team is not a playoff team. I guess that's it.

LoveYourSuit
The funny thing about this team is the fact that adding a guy like Halladay would probably not help a damn thing. If this team could produce consistent offense and field the baseball, the starting pitching would be more than enough on almost every night. Every starter on this team deserves an apology.

I agree on that.

At times, the offense and the bullpen makes you feel that adding that 1 stud starter will make you an instant WS contender.

Then it all falls apart and they play like ****.

It's a team with a ton of flaws.

I am starting to feel better if we do nothing by this deadline and save all our bullets (prospects) for the future.

SoxGirl4Life
07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
I am going to enjoy the next two games when we beat them. All of a sudden our message board will sink to 1 guest.

I don't ever go on another team's board to watch their misery when the Sox beat them. I have better things to do and I'm more than satisfied when my team wins

SoxBears34
07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I was one of the 58 guests. I really don't have anything to say, other than that I am really disappointed in the performance of this team. I do not like taunted by the Cub fans. This team is not a playoff team. I guess that's it.

Make me #2 OF 71

We have to be one of the streakiest offensive teams ever!!

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't ever go on another team's board to watch their misery when the Sox beat them. I have better things to do and I'm more than satisfied when my team wins

Do other teams have boards to the size and magnitude of this one?

PhillipsBubba
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I wonder if the Sox ever feel embarrassed when they play like that???

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2009, 09:46 PM
It is getting really old to say **** the dome, but damn do we play like **** there.

3 runs 3 errors, you are going to lose 9/10 times.

SoxGirl4Life

Cub fans have their own problems. What do you care?

Dick Allen
I'm not going to be real analytical here, but I'm getting real tired of this crap. These are professionals and they need to man up and start playing like it in that turd box. They're giving away way too many games, and they're just not good enough to be able to afford doing that. It's time they started to find a way to win these close games instead of finding ways to lose them. Or maybe I should resign myself to the fact they really do suck.

GoGoCrede
I wonder if the Sox ever feel embarrassed when they play like that???

Ozzie looked pissed. Apparently he threw gum wrappers all over the ground, but I missed that.

SoxGirl4Life
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Do other teams have boards to the size and magnitude of this one?

I have no idea

thomas35forever
It's not like they have much room to talk. The NL Central has the most ridiculous standings I've ever seen. Even if they win the division, they'll enjoy a quick first-round exit in the playoffs.

kittle42
It's not like they have much room to talk. The NL Central has the most ridiculous standings I've ever seen. Even if they win the division, they'll enjoy a quick first-round exit in the playoffs.

That's how I felt about the Sox last season.

SoxBears34
07-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm not going to be real analytical here, but I'm getting real tired of this crap. These are professionals and they need to man up and start playing like it in that turd box. They're giving away way too many games, and they're just not good enough to be able to afford doing that. It's time they started to find a way to win these close games instead of finding ways to lose them. Or maybe I should resign myself to the fact they really do suck.

I think you have to. the only way to prove that you don't suck is to stop doing so. They have not been able to do that.
It's not the first time and it won't be the last. I've gotten pretty used to it over the years. Hey, you could be a Pirates fan

OmahaSoxFan
07-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Tough loss tonight... Go get them tomorrow Sox! And like others have said, on the bright side there are now just 5 games left in that hell hole.

Also bright spots tonight - Beckham and PK both going yard for the second night in a row. Gordon is really impressing me at the plate, I can't get over how well he is hitting the ball as a rookie.

And also the Tiggers lost, so their lead remains at 2 games... could be worse!

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
That's how I felt about the Sox last season.

So did I.

I am starting to get the same feeling about this team too, if we even get in to post season with a .500 record.

Now if we add 1 more stud SP, then we can make some real noise in October.

cws05champ

AJ said something to Alexei for short arming the throw down to 2nd and letting it go to CF. AJ kept jawing and walked away...then Alexei tried to go after him and was restrained by Dye. Nothing after that...

I know you can't blame everything on the dome...and you have to make plays, but this same **** keeps happening. The Gomez broken bat right at Beckham to make it 1 & 2nd set up that inning after the passed ball.

Just :angry::angry::angry:

Jurr

Ahhh...so enthusiastic. So willing, ready, and able to be hurt again.

I'm a sucker, too, I suppose. From Keith Foulke's blow save to Freddy losing a no-no to a solo shot (that won the game) to the sweep last year, I figure I would stop being upset about this team in this situation. Bums like Lew Ford, Denard Span, Nick Punto, Corey Koskie, Matt Lawton, Joe Mays, and Boof Bonser have made millions based on their performances against talented Sox teams.

If it's not Span robbing a homer, it is Hunter. If it's not Joe Mauer hitting an 0-2 fastball with perfect location for a game winning gork shot it's Cristian Guzman. If Manos Valentin doesn't get the yips and commit the timely error it will be Alexei. **** me for watching this!

Oh well. Let's get 'em tomorrow.

Viva Medias B's
Why are you cheering for a bunch of Chris Rongey s?

Speaking of the Ranger, you can watch him here (http://www.670thescore.com/24-Hour-Live-Webcast/4817790) right now. I just got back from work and missed the game; what happened between Alexei and A.J.?

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Positive thinking...Positive thinking!!!

There are only five more games left to be played by our Sox in that dump.
Mark Buehrle is pitching tomorrow.

soxfanreggie
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
It's not worth stressing over to sit here and think about this loss right now; I'll just say that the city could make a lot of money by selling raffle tickets to Sox fans to push the plunger on the explosives.

Edit: I will now follow with Heather's thinking...Burls is pitching tomorrow, therefore I am excited!

Dick Allen
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM

You do know how Buehrle pitched there last time, right? Tomorrow's another day, but .....

WhiteSox1989
07-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Best statements. ever.

TDog
07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Do Twins fans blame their team winning only four out of 17 games at the Cell in the last two years on the dump the White Sox play in?

The Twins had less offense than the White Sox tonight. It looks like they forced at least a couple of the errors in the bad inning. But if Danks doesn't give up the home run, the White Sox probably win.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 10:04 PM

I hate to overlook those 5 games at the dome. Odds are the winner of this division might only win it by 2-3 games. We need to stop counting down and try to win some of those games there. Every game counts.

As for Buehrle pitching tomorrow, I still have the tape on his performance at the Dome the Sunday before the All Star Break. Let's hope we get the Buehrle closer to the one who pitched vs TB the other day :cool:

Patrick134
07-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Jenks has a ring, Nathan doesn't, nuff said.

kevingrt
07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
When the Helldome gets blown up will the Sox horrors in Minnesota go away?

I pray nightly that they will.

WhiteSox1989

Yeah, and that ring is getting pretty old.

I want to win NOW.

Jurr
You do know how Buehrle pitched there last time, right? Tomorrow's another day, but .....

Mark will pitch his ass off and give up a run in the first. We will tie it on a solo shot by Dye in the third. We take the lead on a Thome solo shot in the sixth. Cuddyer will hit a gork shot double in the eighth followed by a walk. That runner will then move up with Cuddyer on a passed ball. An 0-2 single will get the lead. Thousands of middle aged men with 80's wardrobes and facial hair will high five their equally drab spouses. Joe Nathan will give up a single to give us hope. A timely double play will follow. Paulie flies out and slings his bat (as if he expected any other outcome) to a jovial Carlos Gomez. Call me Wizzo, for I can see the future!

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM

What the hell does a ring have to do with who's a better pitcher?:scratch:

So is Timo Perez better than Ichiro because of "his ring"?

Woofer
07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Cub fans have their own problems. What do you care?

Like I said, I do not like being taunted by them. How many times did you hear that the Cubs are in first place today? I heard it too many, and it gets old.

GoGoCrede
07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Like I said, I do not like being taunted by them. How many times did you hear that the Cubs are in first place today? I heard it too many, and it gets old.

Perfect game trumps 1st place. :smile:

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
When the Helldome gets blown up will the Sox horrors in Minnesota go away?

I pray nightly that they will.

Yes the same dome we went 6-3 in 2005.

The same dome where Thomas hit his first career HR and and his 500th.

The same dome where we clinched the 2000 Division Title.

Noneck

2008 in Hump Dome
0-2 5.25era

2009 in Hump Dome
0-1 21.60era

ode to veeck
Do Twins fans blame their team winning only four out of 17 games at the Cell in the last two years on the dump the White Sox play in?

The Twins had less offense than the White Sox tonight. It looks like they forced at least a couple of the errors in the bad inning. But if Danks doesn't give up the home run, the White Sox probably win.

the shoddy defense put more runs on for the pirhanas than the long ball did

TDog
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM

If Jenks had saved the game while giving up the drive that Quentin hit off Nathan in the ninth inning for an out, the postgame thread still would have been about how Jenks was lucky and how he scares people to death.

But Saturday, Jenks shattered a bat for a soft hit that moved the tying run to third base with one out.

Jenks closed out 163, though. All Nathan could do was whine about having to play the game in Chicago.

TDog
07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
the shoddy defense put more runs on for the pirhanas than the long ball did

The defense gave up two and the home run scored two. But the Sox had the lead when Danks gave up the home run. And that was the difference in the game.

SBSoxFan
07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, that was an atypical loss.

chisoxfanatic
It's not worth stressing over to sit here and think about this loss right now; I'll just say that the city could make a lot of money by selling raffle tickets to Sox fans to push the plunger on the explosives.

Edit: I will now follow with Heather's thinking...Burls is pitching tomorrow, therefore I am excited!
Where would the Wipings play?

Brian26
The same dome where we clinched the 2000 Division Title.

Not a great example since we lost that game.

Patrick134
The defense gave up two and the home run scored two. But the Sox had the lead when Danks gave up the home run. And that was the difference in the game.

Since they needed all those runs to win, it's kind of a moot point.

Rikirk
07-27-2009, 10:21 PM
What is it with that dome and our team...

Are we Psychosomatically setup to fail in that place?

I bet theres an indian burial ground under there.

Patrick134
07-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Not a great example since we lost that game.

Maybe the errors were caused by the ball being slippery from old champagne spills.

TDog
07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Since they needed all those runs to win, it's kind of a moot point.

Except they recovered from the errors that put them behind and were in a position to win the game in spite of them.

Patrick134
07-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Except they recovered from the errors that put them behind and were in a position to win the game in spite of them.

True, but to the question of which lost the game, errors or that homer, the correct answer is all of the above.

whitesoxfan
07-27-2009, 10:29 PM
What is it with that dome and our team...

Are we Psychosomatically setup to fail in that place?

I bet theres an indian burial ground under there.

Well just look at this thread. About 90% of the posters in it all have complained about the dome. Look at the end of the game thread. Someone celebrated that there is only five games left in the Dome.

I'm all for hating the dump, but it's no wonder why we suck there. Our fans, our players, our coaching staff...everyone believes the Dome is our kryptonite. If you get that shoved down your throat enough times, you're going to start believing that crap.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Another typical House of Horrors performance.

They couldn't rough up Perkins, Minnesota's worst pitcher...very disappointing.

However this mediocre season turns out Ozzie was right about one thing, everytime you're ready to believe in this team they break your heart.

Whitesoxfan:

Joe Cowley had a story in the newspaper today that seems to confirm my belief that it's now mental. He quoted Jermaine Dye as basically conceding that the Sox don't play well there and that's the way it is.

Lip

Patrick134
07-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Well just look at this thread. About 90% of the posters in it all have complained about the dome. Look at the postgame thread. Someone celebrated that there is only five games left in the Dome.

I'm all for hating the dump, but it's no wonder why we suck there. Our fans, our players, our coaching staff...everyone believes the Dome is our kryptonite. If you get that shoved down your throat enough times, you're going to start believing that crap.

The Twins team seems to be tailored to win in the dome, and lose on the road, and their record reflects that.

Gavin
07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
blaming the dome is like blaming a goat

blame the players

whitesoxfan
The Twins team seems to be tailored to win in the dome, and lose on the road, and their record reflects that.

Which brings up a good point. The Tigers are abysmal on the road this year as well.

Whoever performs the best on the road between the three teams in the division will win the Central this year. That's all there is to it.

whitesoxfan

blame the players

I'll quote that for some much needed emphasis.

35th and Shields
07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm so sick of Paulie having to dig every other ball Alexei throws out of the dirt.

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Cowley is on with Ranger and basically said Ozzie was upset that A.J. got on Alexei. The premise is that Ozzie gets on the players and not other players.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Another typical House of Horrors performance.

They couldn't rough up Perkins, Minnesota's worst pitcher...very disappointing.

However this mediocre season turns out Ozzie was right about one thing, everytime you're ready to believe in this team they break your heart.

Whitesoxfan:

Joe Cowley had a story in the newspaper today that seems to confirm my belief that it's now mental. He quoted Jermaine Dye as basically conceding that the Sox don't play well there and that's the way it is.

Lip

That pisses me off. Seriously, grow the **** up guys. Very dissapointed a guy (one of my favorites) like Dye would pamper to this crap.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 10:43 PM

blame the players

As Murph would say:

"You're the Brown's Chicken caller of the show."

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
They'll become the KC Royals next year! :D:

Patrick134
07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
That pisses me off. Seriously, grow the **** up guys. Very dissapointed a guy (one of my favorites) like Dye would pamper to this crap.

Conceding they don't play well there is pampering to this crap ? He'd look insane if he said the Sox have played well there.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Conceding they don't play well there is pampering to this crap ? He'd look insane if he said the Sox have played well there.

How about "there is no excuse why we play bad here, we should be ashamed to use this as an excuse."

Lip Man 1
07-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Love:

I agree with that thought. Comments like that (and from other players over the years) play into the mental issue in my opinion.

I wonder what the "excuse" was for Oakland and what is the "excuse" for Toronto?

Lip

tsoxman
07-27-2009, 10:49 PM

blame the players

Exactly. I can't get over how many fans are in denial about this whole dome thing....it's not the dome, it's that we are a slow team that plays crappy defense. The Twins are a fast team with great defense. That difference is magnified even further on artificial surface. Notice that we havent won a game at the Rogers Center in three years? Where is the contempt for that place?

The more I read what Sox fans think, the more I realize there is little difference between Cub fans and us.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Give it a ****ing rest already. Only when Jenks sucks do people say he's out of shape. At least he gets the job done. Would you rather have Mike MacDougal closing games?

Are you surprised to come here and see a hissyfit when we lose? I'm not. Hell - people throw babyish little hissyfits when we win these days.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Are you surprised to come here and see a hissyfit when we lose? I'm not. Hell - people throw babyish little hissyfits when we win these days.

Did you watch the game today?

How do you not expect to get "hissyfits" after that performance.

Honestly.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Which loss post-allstar break has not been worthy of a bitchfest?

WhiteSox1989
07-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Cowley is on with Ranger and basically said Ozzie was upset that A.J. got on Alexei. The premise is that Ozzie gets on the players and not other players.
Alexei has been playing like horse ****. I don't want them fighting, but someone needs to call him out.

hi im skot
07-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Alexei has been playing like horse ****. I don't want them fighting, but someone needs to call him out.

Except Ramirez didn't really do anything wrong that inning.

WhiteSox1989
07-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Except Ramirez didn't really do anything wrong that inning.
I'd have to rewatch the play again. But should Ramirez have caught that?

hi im skot
07-27-2009, 11:08 PM

It was a terrible throw by AJ.

ode to veeck
07-27-2009, 11:12 PM

Alexi was not there in time at all to try to make a play. Aj was right to be pissed.

twinsuck
07-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Only 5 more! Get those bastards tomorrow.

WhiteSox1989
07-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Alexi was not there in time at all to try to make a play. Aj was right to be pissed.

That's what I remember of the play. It wasn't a perfect throw by AJ. I don't know. I'd have to go back and re-watch.

Gavin
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Holy ****. AJ nutmegged the baserunner! The ball went through his legs a full foot away from the bag. I can see how he went from 5 for 5 to 6 for 6. *****.

tstrike2000
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Same bull****, different year.

doublem23
07-27-2009, 11:40 PM

Not a great throw by A.J., but Alexei gave about as much effort as Dorn on that play.

Whatever, we're choking big time right now and still somehow only 2 games out of first place. What a division.

JB98
07-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Three errors leading to two unearned runs. Given that the Sox lost this game by one run, I'd say that's statistically significant. Yet another winnable game ends up in the 'L' column.

The Sox have had the lead in four of the five games on this trip, but that hasn't stopped them from managing a lousy 1-4 record. In the first five games of this trip, the Sox offense has scored ZERO runs from the sixth inning on.

It took about three posts in this thread for some self-loathing Sox "fan" to rip on Jenks and kiss Joe Nathan's ass, but the reality is every closer in baseball has had tremendous success against Sox hitters this year. We're 100 games into the season, and the Sox have only one eighth-inning comeback (Opening Day) and no ninth-inning comebacks this season.

Not impressive at all.

Sox
07-28-2009, 01:09 AM

Shouldn't that sentence be in teal?:scratch:

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2009, 01:12 AM
It took about three posts in this thread for some self-loathing Sox "fan" to rip on Jenks and kiss Joe Nathan's ass, but the reality is every closer in baseball has had tremendous success against Sox hitters this year. We're 100 games into the season, and the Sox have only one eighth-inning comeback (Opening Day) and no ninth-inning comebacks this season.
Don't you remember a certain Saturday afternoon game against the Cubs where we trailed by a run going into the bottom of the 8th, tied it in the 8th, and won it on Bacon's walk-off hit in the 9th? That's two comebacks trailing 8th inning or later. :cool:

hawkjt
07-28-2009, 01:16 AM
If you break down the errors in that fateful inning...Nix's throw should not have been made but no doubt that Gomez's speed caused the error. I can live with that one. But the throw by Danks to PK at first was inexcusable..on two fronts....A. Danks had plenty of time, I think he was pissed and threw it extra hard when he did not have to
B. while it was a low throw, I think PK should have caught it. PK did not catch anything today and in the dome those are perfect hops.
That danks-pk play cost us the game,imo, along with the gopher ball to cuddy.
Our offense should have been able to damage perkins who has struggled.
Pods looked bad vs the lefty as did AJ. Should not have gone with leftys tonite vs perkins, I guess.
Alexei,Pods,Josh, and Carlos were black holes tonite...altho Carlos hit the ball well.
When the two leadoff guys have an 0fer...and by chance lead off three innings...fatal.
Beckham got screwed on that last pitch by nathan...I think he will get that call in the future as umps come to recognize he has about the best eye on the team at the plate. Kid continues to amaze. Too bad he is having to carry the load for many vets.

Go get'em tomorrow...sick of saying that. Twins are not good,just the like tigers. Both teams come into a series totally limping,and get well vs the sox...go figure.

JB98
07-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Don't you remember a certain Saturday afternoon game against the Cubs where we trailed by a run going into the bottom of the 8th, tied it in the 8th, and won it on Bacon's walk-off hit in the 9th? That's two comebacks trailing 8th inning or later. :cool:

Obviously not. But my point remains the same. This offense hasn't generated a damn thing in the late innings this entire road trip.

guillensdisciple
07-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Just to bring up the vibe in this place- check out Jarred Mitchell and Dayan Viciedo in the minors. Not bad numbers for young guys.

Especially impressed by Mitchell. He could be the lead off guy to replace Pods in a few years.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=LF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502200

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=493364

ms620
07-28-2009, 05:51 AM

Are you serious? AJ has a ring and Mauer doesnt. So does that mean that you would rather have AJ than Mauer. Why does it matter if Jenks has a ring? Is his ring from 2005 going to help him close games? If you want to defend Jenks thats fine. While I think his negative effect on the Sox this season is more substantial that most people believe, I also never said I think Jenks is finished as a reliable closer. But right now his performance is subpar. Stop bringing his past in to the discussions.

WSox597
07-28-2009, 06:39 AM

Is that you, Hawk?

:D:

Don't forget, Ron Gardenhire is the 'best' manager Hawk has EVER SEEN.

ChicagoHoosier
07-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Whatever, we're choking big time right now and still somehow only 2 games out of first place. What a division.

Seems so much like last season.

Law11
07-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I know these guys are pros but Ive heard in other situations players say "once we get down we were like here we go again" you gotta think that creeps into their heads when they play in that place. Cmon a lot of us here played ball well into our college years you know how easy it can become as mental as anything else. It just digs at you. You play a team or in a place you know you have no luck at and when little mental issues pop up it just makes things worse. It makes it look like you arent trying when in fact you are thinking TOO much instead of just playing YOUR game.

We all knew this was going to be the toughest stretch of the year and they are at a crossroads right now. Either they get their heads in a good place or these next two weeks will be the undoing of the team for an 09 run.

SoxGirl4Life
07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Shouldn't that sentence be in teal?:scratch:

You needed teal for that? You could cut the sarcasm with a knife.

SoxGirl4Life
07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Is that you, Hawk?

:D:

Don't forget, Ron Gardenhire is the 'best' manager Hawk has EVER SEEN.

oh yeah, I forgot that one! Maybe if we're good little boys and girls, we might have Gardy as our manager one day.

kellykid
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Last night was just a disappointment. I don't mind a loss when they've played they're best, and last night was certainly no example of that! I don't blame the dome, that's just an excuse. As a die hard fan it's very hard to remain objective at all. The offense was lackluster and the defense was garbage, errors will kill you everytime and they know it. Nobody on the team can or should be satisfied and I'm sure they're not. I will keep the faith in my team, knowing that this too shall pass. I'm not saying they're a "great" team, but they are certainly better than they have been playing lately. As for the AJ/Ramirez argument, I can only imagine that AJ has learned a few key words in spanish :wink: Maybe a game like last nights will light a fire under them and I know I"ll be watching Buehrle pitch:smile:

ms620
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
If Jenks had saved the game while giving up the drive that Quentin hit off Nathan in the ninth inning for an out, the postgame thread still would have been about how Jenks was lucky and how he scares people to death.

But Saturday, Jenks shattered a bat for a soft hit that moved the tying run to third base with one out.

Jenks closed out 163, though. All Nathan could do was whine about having to play the game in Chicago.

Jenks being a shaky closer has been going on for a while. Not trying to pat myself on the back, but here are posts i made from April. He hadnt even blown a save yet but I commented on his inability to miss bats. You are not a bad fan if you watch the games and you voice a concern over what you are looking at. It was very easy to see that Jenks was not going to have a great season. This has been a long time coming. Hopefully Jenks can turn it around. The thing is this, if TCQ's ball dropped for a double, there is a much greater chance right now that Nathan would have gotten out of the inning than Jenks. Nathan does not walk anyone. He gets ahead of the hitters. He strikes a ton of guys out. Jenks is not getting the job done right now. This game would not hurt nearly as bad if he converted the saves.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2201381&postcount=298

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2192723&postcount=315

slavko
07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Jenks being a shaky closer has been going on for a while. Not trying to pat myself on the back, but here are posts i made from April. He hadnt even blown a save yet but I commented on his inability to miss bats. You are not a bad fan if you watch the games and you voice a concern over what you are looking at. It was very easy to see that Jenks was not going to have a great season. This has been a long time coming. Hopefully Jenks can turn it around. The thing is this, if TCQ's ball dropped for a double, there is a much greater chance right now that Nathan would have gotten out of the inning than Jenks. Nathan does not walk anyone. He gets ahead of the hitters. He strikes a ton of guys out. Jenks is not getting the job done right now. This game would not hurt nearly as bad if he converted the saves.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2201381&postcount=298

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2192723&postcount=315

I'll give you a pat on the back. Look at the K stats. The one thing that has remained strong is that he doesn't give up the long ball much, but even that is trending negative over the years.

KMcMahon817
07-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Three errors leading to two unearned runs. Given that the Sox lost this game by one run, I'd say that's statistically significant. Yet another winnable game ends up in the 'L' column.

The Sox have had the lead in four of the five games on this trip, but that hasn't stopped them from managing a lousy 1-4 record. In the first five games of this trip, the Sox offense has scored ZERO runs from the sixth inning on.

Not impressive at all.

Sorry to break it to you, but I think you're missing a few, chief.

Harry Chappas
07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Mark will pitch his ass off and give up a run in the first. We will tie it on a solo shot by Dye in the third. We take the lead on a Thome solo shot in the sixth. Cuddyer will hit a gork shot double in the eighth followed by a walk. That runner will then move up with Cuddyer on a passed ball. An 0-2 single will get the lead. Thousands of middle aged men with 80's wardrobes and facial hair will high five their equally drab spouses. Joe Nathan will give up a single to give us hope. A timely double play will follow. Paulie flies out and slings his bat (as if he expected any other outcome) to a jovial Carlos Gomez. Call me Wizzo, for I can see the future!

This is great. I'm emailing to my friends and pretending I wrote it.

TomBradley72
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm a huge Jenks fan...and thought alot of people were over reacting...but looking at the AL closer stats...only Kerry Wood has a higher ERA...and very few even have an ERA > 3.00. As far as Nathan goes, he's in a class by himself...comparing him and Jenks since Jenks was called up...Nathan has a 1.88 ERA in that span...combined with Guerrier in the 8th this year...that's a powerful combination.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
McMahon:

Here's the entire list.

4/6 Sox rallied to take lead and win game in 8th inning on Thome's 2 run home run. 4-2

5/30 Sox rallied to take the lead in the 7th inning and get the win vs. Kansas City. 5-3

6/27 Sox rallied to tie the game in the 8th inning and won on Beckham's single. 8-7

7/22 Sox rallied in the 7th inning to take the lead thanks to a big error. 4-3

That's it...only four games this season where the Sox trailing going into the 7th inning or later and won.

Conversley the Sox have blown and lost six games where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later including three times in the 9th inning.

JB's point in my opinion is still valid.

Lip

jabrch
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
McMahon:

Here's the entire list.

4/6 Sox rallied to take lead and win game in 8th inning on Thome's 2 run home run. 4-2

5/30 Sox rallied to take the lead in the 7th inning and get the win vs. Kansas City. 5-3

6/27 Sox rallied to tie the game in the 8th inning and won on Beckham's single. 8-7

7/22 Sox rallied in the 7th inning to take the lead thanks to a big error. 4-3

That's it...only four games this season where the Sox trailing going into the 7th inning or later and won.

Conversley the Sox have blown and lost six games where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later including three times in the 9th inning.

JB's point in my opinion is still valid.

Lip

4 vs 6.... doesn't seem statistically significant to me in the context of the season being 90 games in...

Red Barchetta
07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
So far this season we're 10-12 vs. the Tigers and Twins. We must do better than that the last 11 games if we expect to win this division. Regardless of how we win (or lose).

KMcMahon817
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm a huge Jenks fan...and thought alot of people were over reacting...but looking at the AL closer stats...only Kerry Wood has a higher ERA...and very few even have an ERA > 3.00. As far as Nathan goes, he's in a class by himself...comparing him and Jenks since Jenks was called up...Nathan has a 1.88 ERA in that span...combined with Guerrier in the 8th this year...that's a powerful combination.

Yes, Nathan and Guerrier have been a solid in the 8th and 9th for the Twinks, but you have to remember, the rest of their bullpen has been god awful all year. The sox pen is much, much stronger.

Lip,

I appreciate the quick and accurate response. You never fail to impress me with your posts. However, I am going to have to agree with jabrich, the difference 4 and 6 really is not all that significant through 100 games. I was telling jb that he missed a few, and he did.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2009, 12:10 PM
McMahon:

Well keep in mind JB was talking about in the 8th inning or later. My numbers were from the 7th inning on. (I've always felt that when you take a lead into the last third of the game, you win the game...period but that's just me...)

If you take stock in JB's original comment that basically when the Sox trail late, they're done, then his number drops down to two games where they rallied to win in the 8th inning.

Under those guidelines again the Sox have blown and lost five games where they had the lead in the 8th inning on.

Now you're talking about 2 vs. 5. To me that's relevant, considering this division may be won or lost by two or three games.

Let's put it this way, if the Sox win those five games that they should have and lose the two games they should have (under JB's parameters) the Sox record is : 54-46, eight games over as opposed to 51-49, two games over, if my math is right...that IS a big difference.

Also it was brought up earlier how Minnesota does in Chicago vs. how the Sox do in Minnesota.

For the decade (2000 through 2008) the Twins are 37-45 in Chicago a percentage of .451. The Sox are 33-48 in Minnesota, a percentage of .407.

I conclude from that, that the Twins are more adaptable and capable of winning under different conditions than the Sox who are basically a one dimensional, home run or nothing team for this decade.

Lip

JB98
07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes, Nathan and Guerrier have been a solid in the 8th and 9th for the Twinks, but you have to remember, the rest of their bullpen has been god awful all year. The sox pen is much, much stronger.

Lip,

I appreciate the quick and accurate response. You never fail to impress me with your posts. However, I am going to have to agree with jabrich, the difference 4 and 6 really is not all that significant through 100 games. I was telling jb that he missed a few, and he did.

No, I missed one. The game against the Cubs, and that's it.

This team typically doesn't even threaten while trailing in the late innings. As soon as Cuddyer's ball left the park last night, I knew the game was over.

JB98
07-28-2009, 12:20 PM
McMahon:

Well keep in mind JB was talking about in the 8th inning or later. My numbers were from the 7th inning on. (I've always felt that when you take a lead into the last third of the game, you win the game...period but that's just me...)

If you take stock in JB's original comment that basically when the Sox trail late, they're done, then his number drops down to two games where they rallied to win in the 8th inning.

Under those guidelines again the Sox have blown and lost five games where they had the lead in the 8th inning on.

Now you're talking about 2 vs. 5. To me that's relevant, considering this division may be won or lost by two or three games.

Let's put it this way, if the Sox win those five games that they should have and lose the two games they should have (under JB's parameters) the Sox record is : 54-46, eight games over as opposed to 51-49, two games over, if my math is right...that IS a big difference.

Also it was brought up earlier how Minnesota does in Chicago vs. how the Sox do in Minnesota.

For the decade (2000 through 2008) the Twins are 37-45 in Chicago a percentage of .451. The Sox are 33-48 in Minnesota, a percentage of .407.

I conclude from that, that the Twins are more adaptable and capable of winning under different conditions than the Sox who are basically a one dimensional, home run or nothing team for this decade.

Lip

Forgetting about the season-long trends for a moment, the point I really wanted to emphasize was the fact that the Sox have not scored a single run in the sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth innings yet on this trip.

The last two games, they were done scoring after the third inning.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
oh yeah, I forgot that one! Maybe if we're good little boys and girls, we might have Gardy as our manager one day.
Don't forget this one...If we're really nice to the Twins fans who invade our ballpark every year, Kenny Williams will be fortunate to convince Carlos Gomez to patrol CF for our Sox, and that will take care of our attendance issue, because we all know how everyone would pay to see him live. :cool:

SoxGirl4Life
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Don't forget this one...If we're really nice to the Twins fans who invade our ballpark every year, Kenny Williams will be fortunate to convince Carlos Gomez to patrol CF for our Sox, and that will take care of our attendance issue, because we all know how everyone would pay to see him live. :cool:

We are not worthy!

doublem23
07-28-2009, 12:53 PM
This team typically doesn't even threaten while trailing in the late innings. As soon as Cuddyer's ball left the park last night, I knew the game was over.

That's just because you're a :whiteflag:

TomBradley72
07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd like to see Beckham move to the #2 slot...it's time to make some changes on offense.

khan
07-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd like to see an infield that can catch and throw and do all the defensive stuff...

...That is, if they're not going to bother to score more than 3 runs in a game.

LoveYourSuit
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I'd like to see Beckham move to the #2 slot...it's time to make some changes on offense.

I would prefer he goes to the #3 hole. Dye is slumping and no one else on this team is worthy of the 3 hole. Konerko needs to be where he is at.

Or maybe he's not ready for the 3 hole the same way he wasn't ready to make the jump to the Majors:dunno:

Konerko05
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM

2008:

so/9- 5.5

whip- 1.103

era- 2.63

2009:

so/9- 9.4

whip- 1.330

era- 4.33

Boondock Saint
07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
2008:

so/9- 5.5

whip- 1.103

era- 2.63

2009:

so/9- 9.4

whip- 1.330

era- 4.33

I think, that in order for some people to understand your point, you'd have to etch that into a stone tablet and beat them into a near-catatonic state with it.

35th and Shields
07-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I think, that in order for some people to understand your point, you'd have to etch that into a stone tablet and beat them into a near-catatonic state with it.

I hate to get into an argument like this but you can understand why people are worried about Jenks, right?

I still have a ton of faith for Bobby to comeback and finish with another good season but, at the same time, I can see where these people are coming from. His era is pretty high, whip is continuing to rise....I think if the trend continues for the rest of the season, we may have to consider turning to other options in the future.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I hate to get into an argument like this but you can understand why people are worried about Jenks, right?

I still have a ton of faith for Bobby to comeback and finish with another good season but, at the same time, I can see where these people are coming from. His era is pretty high, whip is continuing to rise....I think if the trend continues for the rest of the season, we may have to consider turning to other options in the future.

I do. But the point was that the concern shouldn't lie in his velocity or his strikeouts.

ms620
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
2008:

so/9- 5.5

whip- 1.103

era- 2.63

2009:

so/9- 9.4

whip- 1.330

era- 4.33

HAH that must be a joke. So b/c Jenks was at an absolutely horrendous level of 5.5 SO/9 last year, and he has improved in that category, it makes his 2009 number good? Those comments I made were from April, which was after his Bob Wickman/Todd Jonesish 2008 (dont get me wrong, I would take that again, but having that low of SO numbers is a recipe for disaster)...and up to tha point this season, he had 3 SO in 4 innings. But the SO/9 number can be very misleading. So far in July, Jenks has a 11 SO/9 ratio...which is good. However, in the 7.1 IP so far, he has allowed 17 baserunners. So now, he has recorded 22 outs, allowed 17 baserunners. The SO/K ratio is not as good as statistics descriibng how often you miss bats. Jenks is not missing many bats even though he has recorded strikeouts.

Railsplitter
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Can't give away runs there.Or anyplace else, for that matter.

JB98
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
That's just because you're a :whiteflag:

I take my cues from the team. It doesn't take much for them to surrender inside the Dump Dome.

Konerko05
07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
HAH that must be a joke. So b/c Jenks was at an absolutely horrendous level of 5.5 SO/9 last year, and he has improved in that category, it makes his 2009 number good? Those comments I made were from April, which was after his Bob Wickman/Todd Jonesish 2008 (dont get me wrong, I would take that again, but having that low of SO numbers is a recipe for disaster)...and up to tha point this season, he had 3 SO in 4 innings. But the SO/9 number can be very misleading. So far in July, Jenks has a 11 SO/9 ratio...which is good. However, in the 7.1 IP so far, he has allowed 17 baserunners. So now, he has recorded 22 outs, allowed 17 baserunners. The SO/K ratio is not as good as statistics descriibng how often you miss bats. Jenks is not missing many bats even though he has recorded strikeouts.

Is what a joke? Your post is barely coherent. I never said his 2009 numbers are good. I think you missed the point of my post.

Your first link specifically said you were concerned about Jenks' strikeout numbers. I showed he had a better season last year while striking out 5.5/9 than this year while striking out 9.4/9.

His problem is control/command and executing pitches in tough situations. His stuff is still there. He still has the ability to strike hitters out. He just doesn't have great command of his fastball or curveball right now. He is missing spots in critical situations.

Boondock, I guess you were correct about the stone tablet beating.