PDA

View Full Version : Article On Foulke As A Starter

kevingrt
06-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Kieth Foulke as a Starter? (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20020604&content_id=42897&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

This was a great article by Jimmy Greendfield, WhiteSox beat reporter on MLB.com. He says that,"It didn't escape Keith Foulke that the White Sox selected San Diego State closer Royce Ring in the first round of Tuesday's First-Year Player Draft.
But instead of feeling threatened, Foulke sure seemed like he wouldn't mind seeing Ring join the Sox right away. That could give Fouke a chance to get back to how he started his big league career, which was as a starter. "

This is really good to see from Foulke that he would like to step up to the starter position. I think he would be great if he could have a curveball in his repitore.

"That's one thing I don't put out of my mind," Foulke said. "This is probably going to get me in trouble, too, but I enjoyed starting when I was starting. Obviously, I got a little quick stint when I was in the big leagues. I've learned a lot since then. I think I can start in the big leagues."

Who caraes it you get in trouble what our the Sox going to do?

"The closer's job has made him a millionaire, but he admitted that he would risk a pay cut to take a stab at becoming a starter. "

A Pay Cut YIPPY!

"Foulke has a 1-4 record and 6.99 ERA in eight Major League starts, all with the Giants in 1997."

Thats not good but look at this...

"We faced Keith Foulke in '97 when I was with the Florida Marlins and he was with San Francisco and he was a starter," Manuel said. "He went six innings that night and performed very well. Guys were coming back to the bench kicking and fussing thinking they should have hit this and hit that. "

"Making the salary that I do, or will in the next couple years, there's probably a real good chance I'll be gone out of here," Foulke said. "A lot of the times I joke with (Manuel) that the only way I'll stay in Chicago is if I'm a starter. That's about as far as that conversation goes."

Now with him leaving would that be a good or bad thing?

"It's not out of the realm of possibility for Keith Foulke but we'd need somebody to take that particular spot," Manuel said.

Perhaps somebody like Royce "The Choice" Ring?

Moses_Scurry
06-05-2002, 01:42 PM
If starters only had to pitch one inning, I'd be all for it.

raul12
06-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

This is really good to see from Foulke that he would like to step up to the starter position. I think he would be great if he could have a curveball in his repitore.
Perhaps somebody like Royce "The Choice" Ring?

1. a pitcher can't just "pick up" a major league curveball and throw it consistenly. it takes a while.

2. i wish we would quit treating ring as jesus. he's a college-level closer. maybe he will make it to the big leagues, but let's quit holding this guy's jock strap until at least he's done something in AAA.

34 Inch Stick
06-05-2002, 01:54 PM
How many of our first round picks from the last ten years actually made the team. The baseball draft is a complete crap shoot. I would not count on any draft pick being here.

Paulwny
06-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
How many of our first round picks from the last ten years actually made the team. The baseball draft is a complete crap shoot. I would not count on any draft pick being here.

Many are signed, many are duds.

Randar68
06-05-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Actually, most of ours from the last 15 years have "MADE" the big leagues, but for almost all of them....staying was the problem...LOL

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
If starters only had to pitch one inning, I'd be all for it.

Yeah, and even with that you'd have to feel nervous--the guy always seems to have bad things happen in a tie game--what would 0-0 do to him?

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Actually, most of ours from the last 15 years have "MADE" the big leagues, but for almost all of them....staying was the problem...LOL

AHHHHHHH! no more memories of scott ruffcorn. please.

Tragg
06-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Frankly, I think selecting a college reliever in the first round is insane.

Be that as it may, why not start Foulke?

Foulke You
06-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Frankly, I think selecting a college reliever in the first round is insane.

Be that as it may, why not start Foulke?

I'm a huge Foulke fan but I'm not sure he's cut out to be a starter. If he had one other pitch to consistently throw for strikes he could do it.

Of course, Glover isn't a starter either and Manuel keeps trotting him out there to get clobbered so perhaps Foulke starting isn't a pipedream.

:jerry
"We just need to keep stretching Glover's arm out. He'll be fine."

MattSharp
06-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Of course, Glover isn't a starter either and Manuel keeps trotting him out there to get clobbered so perhaps Foulke starting isn't a pipedream.

I agree. Glover is not a starter at all.

As for Foulke, if he could imprive his pitches a bit I think he could be real good as a starter. But maybe I am thinking with my heart instead of my head.....

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

:jerry
"We just need to keep stretching Glover's arm out. He'll be fine."

:nardi
"That's right, Jerry. Gary just needs to put his labrum into it."

:)