PDA

View Full Version : Financial Concerns may be forcing Indians to trade Victor Martinez AND Cliff Lee...

jabrch
07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
They must be thrilled to have given Kerry Wood 2 years and 20mm.

Tragg
07-27-2009, 02:11 PM
How about that Mark Shapiro - executive of the year.

jdm2662
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
How about that Mark Shapiro - executive of the year.

Did he win it in 2005 and 2007??

dakotasox
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Did he win it in 2005 and 2007??

Yeah, what a joke.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey - if Wood finishes 55 games, his 3rd year vests at 10mm....sweet deal! His 5+ ERA and 1.4+ WHIP will be great for a closer! Wouldn't surprise me if they waive him at the deadline or force someone to take him along with Lee/Martinez.

soxfanreggie
07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
If it gets them out of the AL Central, I'm not opposed to it.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
If it gets them out of the AL Central, I'm not opposed to it.

I'd rather see them stuck with those guys and no salary flexibility than getting Kershaw/Billingsley and Loney and cutting payroll.

I can't wait to see more teams start to struggle financially. The Tigers are the one I am looking forward to. The economy in Detoilet is terrible. The city smells - badly. I can't wait for that franchise to start to crumble under their own spending.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd rather see them stuck with those guys and no salary flexibility than getting Kershaw/Billingsley and Loney and cutting payroll.

I can't wait to see more teams start to struggle financially. The Tigers are the one I am looking forward to. The economy in Detoilet is terrible. The city smells - badly. I can't wait for that franchise to start to crumble under their own spending.
I don't possess the same hate for the Royals and Tigers than I do the Indians and Twins. The only Detroit team I wish would truly crumble is the team I hate the most in all of sports--the Red Wings.

I hope unloading those horrible contracts will be extremely difficult for the Tribe, and that they are able to get junk in return if they do get rid of those contracts.

hawkjt
07-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I hope they do not move them,simply cus the Tigers and Twins play them a lot more than the sox the rest of the way.
This week the Tigers get Texas(tough) and Cleveland while the sox have twins and yanks.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM

The Tigers keep packing them in at Comerica.

They must be doing something right over there.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 04:16 PM

And the Wings and Pistons aren't doing poorly at the gate either. Sports pretty much is the only entertainment over there, though, isn't it?

areilly
07-27-2009, 04:20 PM

I think we just witnessed their secret this weekend.

bestkosher
07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Maybe the stadiums are the only safe places to go in Detroit.

BleacherBandit
07-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Maybe the stadiums are the only safe places to go in Detroit.

No, I'm pretty sure people are robbed of their money just getting into the stadiums.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't possess the same hate for the Royals and Tigers than I do the Indians and Twins. The only Detroit team I wish would truly crumble is the team I hate the most in all of sports--the Red Wings.

I hope unloading those horrible contracts will be extremely difficult for the Tribe, and that they are able to get junk in return if they do get rid of those contracts.

The Lee/Martinez contracts aren't bad at all. Both expire after next year and both are reasonable. This is nothing like Rios/Wells in Toronto.

Foulke You
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM

I think the Tigers are riding a bit of the same World Series attendance bump the Sox got in the 3 years following 2005. The Tigers got a huge boost after 2006 and made a big payroll commitment to the team despite a disappointing season. I'm sure they sold quite a few ticket packages during this time period despite a disappointing 2008.

I agree with a previous poster though. I don't share the same hatred for the Tigers and their fans that I do for the Twins or Indians. If they end up winning the division, I'll wish them well. I've lurked on motownsports before though and it seems like many Tiger fans hate us quite a bit though. It probably is because we've taken it to the Tigers pretty good the last few years. Losing to a team repeatedly builds up the hate.

infohawk
07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
They must be thrilled to have given Kerry Wood 2 years and 20mm.
"It's about the Roosevelt's baby!":D:

jdm2662
07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I've lurked on motownsports before though and it seems like many Tiger fans hate us quite a bit though. It probably is because we've taken it to the Tigers pretty good the last few years. Losing to a team repeatedly builds up the hate.

Florida Tigers has mentioned this fact here before. Hell, even in 2007 when the Sox were pure ****, they still went 11-7 against the Tigers. While some people here think the Twins have had our number over the years, overall, it's been pretty even since 2003. We just only remember the bad games... It's not the case with the Tigers and the White Sox. The tide has turned a bit this year. Hopefully, it won't continue...