PDA

View Full Version : Mets fire assistant GM Tony Bernazard...

jabrch
07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
It's OK, he's still on our payroll, right?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/07/22/2009-07-22_sources_mets_vp_for_player_development_tony_ber nazard_challenges_binghamton_mets.html

TDog
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
It's OK, he's still on our payroll, right? ...

I don't understand what your reference. Tony Bernazard was traded at the June 15 trade deadline in 1983 for Julio Cruz when the Sox were going nowhere under Tony LaRussa. Fans were saying Rollie Hemond got rid of the wrong Tony.

The Sox then went on a tear, winning the division by 20 games before the season ended on a blustery Saturday afternoon. Because free agent Cruz seemed to be the spark the offense needed and people believed they couldn't win without him, the Sox re-signed him to a generous contract, which, some have claimed for years, is paying him into perpetuity, even though he was out of baseball only a few year after the 1983 season. I'm not sure if the Cruz thing is true, but I don't know if the Sox have had anything to do with Bernazard since they traded his contract to the Mariners.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't understand what your reference. Tony Bernazard was traded at the June 15 trade deadline in 1983 for Julio Cruz when the Sox were going nowhere under Tony LaRussa. Fans were saying Rollie Hemond got rid of the wrong Tony.

The Sox then went on a tear, winning the division by 20 games before the season ended on a blustery Saturday afternoon. Because free agent Cruz seemed to be the spark the offense needed and people believed they couldn't win without him, the Sox re-signed him to a generous contract, which, some have claimed for years, is paying him into perpetuity, even though he was out of baseball only a few year after the 1983 season. I'm not sure if the Cruz thing is true, but I don't know if the Sox have had anything to do with Bernazard since they traded his contract to the Mariners.

Brain cramp...it was Cruz who we paid for a long time...thanks

tstrike2000
07-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Took off his shirt and challanged guys to a fight? Whatever his motivation was for that and the other things listed in the article, sounds like he needs anger management counseling.

havelj
07-27-2009, 03:48 PM

January 9, 1984
White Sox Sign Cruz for 6 Years

AP
Julio Cruz, the free-agent second baseman who last year helped the Chicago White Sox win the American League West Division, has signed a six-year contract with the White Sox, the team's owners said today.

The club owners, Eddie Einhorn and Jerry Reinsdorf, made the announcement at a news conference after arriving from Seattle, where the negotiations were conducted. Cruz remained at his home in Bellevue, a Seattle suburb. His agent, Brian David, was present at the news conference but declined to discuss terms of the pact, as did the White Sox executives.

Estimates put the total package at between $3.6 million and $4.8 million.

and then you has this:
March 23, 1987: Released by the Chicago White Sox.

slavko
07-28-2009, 09:44 AM

The payout may have been over 20 years, not the 6 years he was bound to play for us under the contract. So the humorous reference was deserved but misdirected.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-29-2009, 10:22 AM

I have a signed Julio Cruz game bat from the 1983 season. Well, it's my dad's but I have it.