PDA

View Full Version : Compred to other ML park wheres comiskey?

TheBigHurt
06-05-2002, 11:42 AM
How would you rate Comiskey Park on a scale of 1-10 compared to other ball parks in the Major League? (honestly)

Iwritecode
06-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
How would you rate Comiskey Park on a scale of 1-10 compared to other ball parks in the Major League? (honestly)

I would say a 10 but the only other park I've been to is Wrigley, so it's really not much of a comparison. I've been to minor league parks that I like better than Wrigley...

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt

The lower deck is the best in baseball, period. The upper-deck is hardly worse than any other terraced stadium built the last 40 years. Compared to older ballparks' upper-decks, baseball's newer ballparks all suffer here.

With the recent renovations designed to make the place feel less like a shopping mall, I would say the IFSA and the Sox have largely eliminated the aesthetic issues most fans had with the ballpark.

If I have any beef, it is with pedestrian traffic flow problems the architect failed to foresee. Specifically, fan access to the bullpen bar and picnic area in right field are needlessly screwed up. Had the architect (and client) done their job properly, this issue could easily have been avoided. After all, the ballpark is only 12 years old.

It's a damned good ballpark. It doesn't deserve most of the criticism it receives. I gave it an "8".

HawkDJ
06-05-2002, 12:25 PM
I love it there, especially where I sit in the club level. (they serve you and the view is great, plus new padded seats this year) The atmosphere is very good and there is plenty to do even if for some reason you don't feel like watching the game. The center field area is great now with the new batters eye and the fairly new bullpens.

Everybody dismisses it as crap because of the steep upperdeck, ok maybe not everybody but all the flubby fans in my school. I ask them, have you been there? They say no of course. People should just go there open-minded and I'm sure they will enjoy.

I've only been to two other parks, Wrigley Field and Miller Park. I hate Wrigley and I'm an outcast for that where I come from. I just hate the organ and the old feeling and everything about Wrigley. Miller Park however I like much better than Comiskey. I'll give Comiskey a 7.

Moses_Scurry
06-05-2002, 12:35 PM
I give it a '10' for the baseball watching aspect, which is the most important part. The only "bad" seats in the entire stadium are behind the foul poles which would be the case in any stadium. Even if you happen to make one of the few sold out games and get stuck in the top seats of the upperdeck corners, you can see everything going on.

Food and other amenities are also '10's including the concourse activities, bullpen bar and stuff like that.

My only problem is with moving around when not watching the game. I hate the ramps for the exit. It feels like forever when you're in the UD and have to go all the way down. I also don't like waiting in long lines for the bathroom.

Given that that is only a minor discomfort, I give the stadium on whole a '9' on the Bart Simpson scale of 1-10!

raul12
06-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
I give it a '10' for the baseball watching aspect, which is the most important part. The only "bad" seats in the entire stadium are behind the foul poles which would be the case in any stadium. Even if you happen to make one of the few sold out games and get stuck in the top seats of the upperdeck corners, you can see everything going on.

Food and other amenities are also '10's including the concourse activities, bullpen bar and stuff like that.

My only problem is with moving around when not watching the game. I hate the ramps for the exit. It feels like forever when you're in the UD and have to go all the way down. I also don't like waiting in long lines for the bathroom.

Given that that is only a minor discomfort, I give the stadium on whole a '9' on the Bart Simpson scale of 1-10!

i gave it a 3 for the simple reason of "what could have been". i must admit, that due to my work load, i have not been able to make it to a game this year, so i have not seen first hand the renovations. (i've seen pictures, but they never do justice to what it's actually like.)

from reading an earlier article on WSI re: the other stadium proposal, the built comiskey park is second rate.

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 01:42 PM
Hey BigHurt, when I first read your poll question my inner-smart aleck wanted to answer "In Chicago, on the South Side" :)

Seriously, I give the renovated Comiskey an "8". Sight lines are the best I've ever seen in a ballpark (angle of seats to field, lack of obstructions--oh, I've been to Wrigley, County Stadium, Miller Park, old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, Candlestick, Oakland Coliseum) the lower level is great and as someone else mentioned, I'm a big fan of the Club Level, especially now since the renovations (mmmmm, padded seats). Even the first 12-15 rows of the upper deck are fine. I like the wide concourses under the stands and particularly in the outfield. Food is the best by far, especially compared to the dump on the North Side.

My major beef with the park would be two: 1.) Location--I wish it had been built out in the western 'burbs so it would have been closer to the main Sox fan base (and closer to me!); and, 2.) A related item, the problem of exiting the parking lots after a game that has any kind of decent attendance (20,000+)--emptying out into the Ryan is like trying to pour a pint of water into a quart jug that's only got room for another ounce.

doublem23
06-05-2002, 02:47 PM
Comiskey Park is great. I gave it a 9... If it had green seats, I would have given it a 10 (Nellie is going to rip me apart :smile: ).

voodoochile
06-05-2002, 02:57 PM
I gave it an 8 because it has good sightlines and is kept clean. I only wish two things -

1) That the upper deck wasn't so far back. I don't mind the height, but the seats are so far back from the field. Of course if they build it forward, they have to put in support posts among the lower deck seats, and that is what they were trying to avoid.

2) That it got better publicity...

Kilroy
06-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Miller Park however I like much better than Comiskey. I'll give Comiskey a 7.

I have to disagree with this. Miller Park from the outside was hideous to look at. Inside was nice, but no nicer than Comiskey, IMO. I actually hated being inside for a baseball game (roof was closed). I will try and go back for an outdoor experience to see if I like it better.

The only thing that MP has on Comiskey is footlong brats. It's worth the drive up there just for that.

Comiskey, I give an 8. You won't find many places that are better for watching a game, especailly from Club Level down...

Foulke You
06-05-2002, 03:26 PM
I gave renovated Comiskey a 9 out of 10. I've been to Miller Park, Busch Stadium, Old Comiskey, Wrigley, and Fenway Park and it has by far, the best sight lines. There really isn't a bad seat in the house. The upper deck issue is a joke because Miller Park and Busch Stadium easily have UDs just as high.

Another great thing about Comiskey is that it is also the best for tracking the ball in the air. A lot of other parks because of lighter backgrounds or seats make it more difficult to track line drives or pop ups. I especially noticed this at Miller Park.

Comiskey has the best food of any park I've been to and also has the best and most informative scoreboard. The out of town scoreboard is also big and easy to read as compared to many other parks that try to go for "quaintness" over practical.

My favorite feature of Comiskey Park has to be the roomy lower deck concourse. It is one of the few parks that allows you to completely walk around the ballpark 360 degrees and see the field from every angle. No separate bleacher entrances. No walking downstairs or underground away from the action to get food or drinks.

The park would've gotten a 10 if they had a better tribute to the retired numbers. Put those numbers nice and big on the outfield gridwork above the billboards or put them on the outfield wall like Old Comiskey. Nobody sees the small names & numbers where they are now in small letters between the club level and lower deck.
:dinger
Best scoreboard in baseball. Period.

Foulke You
06-05-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I have to disagree with this. Miller Park from the outside was hideous to look at. Inside was nice, but no nicer than Comiskey, IMO. I actually hated being inside for a baseball game (roof was closed). I will try and go back for an outdoor experience to see if I like it better.

The only thing that MP has on Comiskey is footlong brats. It's worth the drive up there just for that.

Comiskey, I give an 8. You won't find many places that are better for watching a game, especailly from Club Level down...

Having been to both an indoor and outdoor Miller Park game I can tell you that I enjoyed it much better with the roof open. There is something not quite right with indoor baseball. Not to mention the place is a launching pad with the roof closed. That said, I enjoyed Miller Park but I still like Comiskey better.

ISUSoxfan
06-05-2002, 04:37 PM
I gave Comiskey a 2. It was a 1 before the renovations.

PaleHoseGeorge said the lower deck is the best in baseball. I bet his seats are between 1st and 3rd. Those are all great seats, but once you get down the line, the sightlines are terrible. You better hope a very short person is in the seat 1 row in front of you and 3 seats toward homeplate, or you will be constantly leaning and moving your head to see. There are no poles in the way, just lots of people because it's not steep enough.

HawkDJ2K2 likes the club level. So do I, but I can't afford those seats except when I get them free from season ticket holders. The club level is a great place to watch the game from, but so was the upper deck at the Old Comiskey, and those were the cheap seats there. The front rows of the upper deck at the old park were actually closer to the field than the new club level because it overhung the lower deck.

No one has said they like the upper deck, but Moses_Scurry said you can see everything going on from up there. The problem is that you are not a part of the game, and anything you yell will not reach the field. You might as well watch the game on TV and get a better view of what's going on.

The bleachers are not bad, but $18 is too high a price for seats that are more than 400 feet away from home plate. Half price nights usually conflict with other obligations in life, which is why more fans go to games on the weekends, especially the fans who live hours away.

No park will ever measure up to the Old Comiskey, but the New Comiskey doesn't even match the other parks I've been to (Kaufmann Stadium, County Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Jack Murphy, Anaheim, Busch, and Wrigley). Yes, even Wrigley is a better place to watch a game :gulp: , but I get several threats of bodily harm every time I go there and harass the Cub players and fans. Occasionally they throw things at me, but they're Cub fans, so they miss.

Streets
06-05-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

My major beef with the park would be two: 1.) Location--I wish it had been built out in the western 'burbs so it would have been closer to the main Sox fan base (and closer to me!); and, 2.) A related item, the problem of exiting the parking lots after a game that has any kind of decent attendance (20,000+)--emptying out into the Ryan is like trying to pour a pint of water into a quart jug that's only got room for another ounce.

I, for one, would be pissed if they built outside the city limits. Chicago baseball is just that, in the city of chicago. Nobody wants to drive out to the western burbs or the southern burbs or even a nothern burb, being in the city brings the people to the city. Citites are there for a reason, to bring people to it, it's a common place for people to go. If anything, they should have built Comiskey facing the other way, imagine sitting behind homeplate or anywhere besides the outfield and looking up and seeing the greatest skyline in the world. That is probably one of the biggest mistakes the made building "new Comiskey." I give it a 9, from the quality of play to the atmosphere, best park I've been to.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
I gave Comiskey a 2. It was a 1 before the renovations....

....No park will ever measure up to the Old Comiskey, but the New Comiskey doesn't even match the other parks I've been to (Kaufmann Stadium, County Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Jack Murphy, Anaheim, Busch, and Wrigley). Yes, even Wrigley is a better place to watch a game :gulp: , but I get several threats of bodily harm every time I go there and harass the Cub players and fans. Occasionally they throw things at me, but they're Cub fans, so they miss.

Well, I've never been to Kauffman, but by all accounts the seating angles are similar. I haven't been to the west coast stadiums so I won't comment about them either. But the rest of these? I strongly disagree.

County Stadium was fine if you didn't mind smacking your knees against the seat in front of you for 3 hours. Busch's upper deck is every bit as high as New Comiskey's. As for Wrigley, the less said the better. THAT'S the ballpark you hope a midget is seated in front of you.

Here's what makes the lower deck at Comiskey the best: you can circle the playing field and never be outside the view of the action. The quality and variety of food is second to none, too. The concourse is wide and accessible to everyone in the park, unless 35,000+ are in the house. That probably explains why even bleacher seats are relatively expensive. You don't get the same accoutrements sitting in the upper tank.

For the record, I rarely get seats in the infield. Last time I was there I was in row 2 down near the right field fair pole and the only time my view was obstructed was when somebody stood up or a beer vendor came by.

Sometimes you have to weigh the costs and benefits. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Streets
I, for one, would be pissed if they built outside the city limits. Chicago baseball is just that, in the city of chicago. Nobody wants to drive out to the western burbs or the southern burbs or even a nothern burb, being in the city brings the people to the city. Citites are there for a reason, to bring people to it, it's a common place for people to go. If anything, they should have built Comiskey facing the other way, imagine sitting behind homeplate or anywhere besides the outfield and looking up and seeing the greatest skyline in the world. That is probably one of the biggest mistakes the made building "new Comiskey." I give it a 9, from the quality of play to the atmosphere, best park I've been to.

This is an interesting point. Had the Sox built a new park in Addison, they would have been closer to the center of metro Chicago, and the vast majority of fans who actually attend games. Reinsdorf has noted this with his comment last year about New Comiskey being too close to too many fish (Lake Michigan).

Still, if the team left 35th and Shields it loses 100 years of history at that location. It would also lose office workers from the Loop attending games after work. However, it appears Wrigley gets most of these casual fans, not Comiskey. Chicago tourists coming to Comiskey? Forget it.

We can't compete with the national baseball shrine on the other side of town. New Comiskey suffers in the comparison.

It's a mixed bag, at best.

doublem23
06-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I love it there, especially where I sit in the club level.

The club level is nice, but it's WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY out of my price range, and I like the left field bleachers more, anyways. Half-price Mondays in left field is the greatest thing God ever invented... LOL.

Maggliosfan09
06-05-2002, 06:30 PM
a 2? have you ever been to other parks? Like others are saying you don't have to leave the action to get food or use the restroom like other parks i have been to. I've been to a lot of games since i was little and i never had trouble seeing over the person in front of me unless they stood up or someone walked in front of me. The only bad things are the high upper deck (how often are you really going to get tickets for up there?) and the location. The location isn't that bad though. If they did move then they will loose all their history there as someone has already said. Like Doublem said Half Price Mondays and now Pepsi Half Price Tuesdays are the best days ever!!!!

ISUSoxfan
06-05-2002, 09:31 PM
I like the location, but not the Stevenson. It's a worthwhile drive though. I wouldn't want my team playing anywhere but the South Side.

Sightlines: If you sit in the lower deck down either foul line and are not by an isle or in the first few rows, the person three seats over and 1 row down is in your way of homeplate. This might be the case in other parks too, but I know for sure it is a problem at the New Comiskey.

Security is another problem. They are way to strick on pointless rules, such as crossing the outfield concourse on fireworks nights, not letting fans who can't afford good seats move into vacant ones after the 3rd inning when the rich people who own the tickets had something better to do than sit behind the dugout. Also that fat guy who runs the gate to get on the warning track in the Sports Bar is a lazy bum who doesn't give 2 craps about the fans unless he knows them. There are times when there has been a line waiting to get out there, but it's "too full," until people he knows show up and get right out there.

doublem23
06-05-2002, 10:44 PM
Security is another problem. They are way to strick on pointless rules, such as crossing the outfield concourse on fireworks nights

So this way, when some guy gets nailed in the head with one and sues the Sox, no one will point the finger at the Sox.

voodoochile
06-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
...Half-price Mondays in left field is the greatest thing God ever invented... LOL.

Dude, you really need to get laid...

:D:

doublem23
06-05-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Dude, you really need to get laid...

Ouch... point taken...

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Comiskey Park is great. I gave it a 9... If it had green seats, I would have given it a 10 (Nellie is going to rip me apart :smile: ). Nah, dub, if you're only taking away 1 point for seat color I'll give you a pass. I've been told that the blue makes the empty seats look emptier. I guess I can buy that; otherwise I don't give a tinker's damn what color the seats are.

No park will ever measure up to the Old ComiskeyYou complain because of not steep enough seats beyond the bases causing you to not be able to see over the spectators around you, but say Old Comiskey was the best? Unless I got Golden Box tickets at the old park, it seemed like a 50-50 proposition whether I'd get my view obstructed by a pillar or by being so far up under the upper deck that I couldn't see the scoreboard. They had to pipe daylight to some of the lower deck seats. I usually had to sit sideways because my knees wouldn't fit in behind the seat in front of me.

There are no bad seats in the lower deck of the new park (yes, I've sat down the line almost into the corners,) but there were a lot of upper deck seats that were better than a lot of lower deck seats at the old place.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2002, 03:22 AM
I must say that I'd have to give Comiskey a Perfect 10. I've sat EVERYWHERE in the stadium....I love the food, the camraderie, and all that goes along with The Event. The greatest thing about the park is seeing the game, but a close second is eating at the Stadium Club Restaurant. I've eaten there many times and no food on earth matches it! It also has the most awesome view of the field. What a panoramic view does it yeild!

The upper deck really isn't that bad, if you're not into heckling. I don't think it's steep at all (I've been to the Chicago Auditorium to see many of Chicago's finest operas and symphonies and the 3rd and 2nd balconies are waaaaaaaay steeper). And I still can see what's going on in the game. I don't feel secluded up there.

The Bleachers are awesome, esp the LF bleachers (Carlos Lee terretory), because you can see the game "head on" as well as catch the home run balls.

I've sat nearly behind home plate several times, and nothing beats that, though. Especially when the Get Up Guy's there "Let's Gooooooooo White Sooooooooxxxxx!"

I've never had problems with any of the security guards or any of the vendors. The greatest vendor has to be the "Miller liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!....Genunie Draaaaaaaaaft!" guy by Section 136! He amuses me.

Heather the Redbird

ISUSoxfan
06-06-2002, 04:09 AM
[i]You complain because of not steep enough seats beyond the bases causing you to not be able to see over the spectators around you, but say Old Comiskey was the best? Unless I got Golden Box tickets at the old park, it seemed like a 50-50 proposition whether I'd get my view obstructed by a pillar or by being so far up under the upper deck that I couldn't see the scoreboard. They had to pipe daylight to some of the lower deck seats. I usually had to sit sideways because my knees wouldn't fit in behind the seat in front of me.

There are no bad seats in the lower deck of the new park (yes, I've sat down the line almost into the corners,) but there were a lot of upper deck seats that were better than a lot of lower deck seats at the old place. [/B]

Pillars are stationary, meaning you can move your head and see around them. People are mobile, meaning when you move your head to see around them, they can move their head to see around the people blocking their view, and then you have to move your head again. And who cares if you can see the scoreboard. The important stats are on the side scoreboards and the big scoreboard at the new park is all commercials and private group messages anyway.

I keep hearing comments about food. If you are going to the game with a fat chick that you don't want bugging you all the time, send her to the food lines. Otherwise what does the quality of the food have to do with watching a baseball game? The broke fans like me eat before the game to avoid paying ballpark prices, and even when I do have extra money to spend on food, I'd rather spend it on getting a better seat or a beer.

Another comment was about being able to see the game while walking around the lower deck concourse. Tours of the park can be taken before or after the game, and the only other reasons to walk are for concessions and bathrooms. The only way to see the game while in line for concessions is on the TV screen, like you can see at home, and I have never been able to see a single pitch from the bathroom.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2002, 08:09 AM

Pillars are stationary, meaning you can move your head and see around them. People are mobile, meaning when you move your head to see around them, they can move their head to see around the people blocking their view, and then you have to move your head again. And who cares if you can see the scoreboard. The important stats are on the side scoreboards and the big scoreboard at the new park is all commercials and private group messages anyway.

I keep hearing comments about food. If you are going to the game with a fat chick that you don't want bugging you all the time, send her to the food lines. Otherwise what does the quality of the food have to do with watching a baseball game? The broke fans like me eat before the game to avoid paying ballpark prices, and even when I do have extra money to spend on food, I'd rather spend it on getting a better seat or a beer.

Another comment was about being able to see the game while walking around the lower deck concourse. Tours of the park can be taken before or after the game, and the only other reasons to walk are for concessions and bathrooms. The only way to see the game while in line for concessions is on the TV screen, like you can see at home, and I have never been able to see a single pitch from the bathroom.

Have you ever eaten a hot dog at Wrigley?

Have you ever walked the cellar-like concourse inside the Urinal?

Have you ever felt yourself about to wretch from stepping in pee while smelling the stench after eating a hot dog while walking the concourse at Wrigley Field?

Well, I guess we all have our own idea of favorite memories from attending a ballgame. :smile:

Surely it wasn't the action on the field that put Wrigley ahead of Comiskey in your book--and you've already admitted its not the scoreboard you liked either. Strange... strange, indeed.

BTW, the rake of the seating is far shallower at Wrigley than New Comiskey. The rake was far shallower at Old Comiskey compared to New Comiskey, too. You think your view is/was less obstructed at these old ballparks? I think your memory is failing you.

DrWatson27
06-06-2002, 08:13 AM
I gave it a 7 for a lot of the same reason others have mentioned (upper deck, ect) but I haven't gone to a game since the revisions (I live in Michigan so don't kill me). I have gone to Sox-Tigers games at Comerica and that is a great ballpark to bad the talent on Detroit's team is so bad, I only go when the Sox are in town. But as long as they have the exploding scoreboard Comiskey should never be below a 7, that's one of the greatest things any sports facitity has. I may have to change my vote after I go to a game this year at Comiskey. One of the worst ballparks I ever went to was Toronto's. You could see the field from just about every seat but you are so far from the field, even worse than the UD of Comiskey.

bjmarte
06-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Also that fat guy who runs the gate to get on the warning track in the Sports Bar is a lazy bum who doesn't give 2 craps about the fans unless he knows them. There are times when there has been a line waiting to get out there, but it's "too full," until people he knows show up and get right out there.

I think you just misunderstand how it works. There are only so many seats in that area. You are not allowed to stand in that are during the game (so you don't block the view from inside) so they only allow in as many people as there are seats. Everyone allowed in is given a sticker to indicate they have a seat outside. You are then allowed to go back and forth from the the inside to the out, to go to the bathroom and buy beer and stuff like that. The only thing you can't do is leave the bar itself. If you do that you have to give up your seat outside. What you thought were that guys friends were probably people coming back from the bathroom.

DrWatson27
06-06-2002, 08:50 AM

The only way to see the game while in line for concessions is on the TV screen, like you can see at home, and I have never been able to see a single pitch from the bathroom.

Why don't ballparks install tv sets in the bathrooms?

foulkesfan11
06-06-2002, 09:03 AM
Comiskey is awesome, but after seeing 15 other ball parks, I would have to say that the Ballpark in Arlington was the nicest as far as seating goes & things to do there. Comiskey still has the best food though!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Pillars are stationary, meaning you can move your head and see around them. People are mobile, meaning when you move your head to see around them, they can move their head to see around the people blocking their view, and then you have to move your head again. And who cares if you can see the scoreboard. The important stats are on the side scoreboards and the big scoreboard at the new park is all commercials and private group messages anyway....

I'm sorry to seem like I'm piling on. I didn't address this in my other reply.

Of course pillars are stationary, and only a few dozen seats were directly behind a pillar making it impossible to see any of the action. However obstructed views was the #1 reason Sox Fans complained about Old Comiskey, and the Sox went to great pains to eliminate every single obstructed view seat with the new ballpark--save the fair poles.

Consider this. I have 5 year-old daughter. Generally speaking, I shoo her away from the TV set when I'm watching the game, even though clearly she's incapable of blocking the entire screen--and mine is only a 26" tube. I dare say most of us placed in the same situation would do the same thing.

As for complaining about advertising and scoreboards, the genius of Comiskey Park is the sheer quantity of space devoted to advertising in the outfield. They simply use scoreboards--of every description--to get your eye up there viewing everything. There are THREE ENORMOUS scoreboards at Comiskey: left, center, and right field. Any one of these would be more than adequate for giving you the basics of the game. In fact, most ballparks would get by with only one of equal size--including that stupid one perched atop Wrigley Field that forces you to add up the score yourself.

So what if there is advertising out there? I've got a pitch speed display, the entire line up for both teams, a message board with the player's stats, the inning-by-inning line score, the pitch count, an official scorer's tote, and every score from every game--VISIBLE NON-STOP--the entire game. The jumbotron TV is almost an after-thought, LOL!!!

What more do I need? If the Sox have room left over for advertising after all this, more power to them!

Oh yeah, and the scoreboard blows up and shoots fireworks--mimicked by practically every ballpark built the last 40 years--not that fans enjoy that very much.

I mean, really...

steff
06-06-2002, 10:31 AM
I've sat everywhere in the park as well, even behind the foul pole, and been to 14 other parks as well. The bowl is the best in baseball - and been given that title even by some northsiders I know. I sat in the upper deck (row 31) against Toronto in the playoffs along with 20K other folks and I never heard a complaint once. And we sit there every year for the Cubs series too since it's the only place we can get 11 seats together. Not once have I ever heard "oh my gawd.. it's too steep" OR seen anyone with a nosebleed!! It confuses me why the upper deck is even an issue right now. Obviously there aren't enough fans going to the game to FILL the bowl, so what's the reason for not going? If you can get a lower seat, they you wont have to sit there.. what's to bitch about? "Well, IF there were 40K people here we might have to sit up there...".

Someone also made a comment about the bathroom "problem". Is there a bathroom problem? Our seats are in section 107 right above the bar and the bathrooms right behind us are NEVER crowded. I think the issue with the bathrooms might be laziness and not wanting to walk 50 feet in either direction to go to the next one. This argument was on the AOL boards a while back and someone actually counted and said there were 11 sets of bathrooms on the 100 level alone. I haven't been in the men's room... but there's probably 30 stalls in the ladies room and the line moves at a steady pace. Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

By the way, I gave the park an 8. Arlington is the only park I would give a 10 to. It's absolutely positively the BEST place to watch a ball game.

ISUSoxfan
06-06-2002, 03:52 PM
To recap, most people like the new park more than I do.

I was really attached to the Old Comiskey, and I was dumb to expect Reinsdork to build anything near that calibur, but when I made my first visit to the new park in 1991, I felt like I was in a shopping mall.

What I liked so much about Old Comiskey was the atmosphere. Walking up the stairwell from the caverns and seeing the green field for the first time each season was breathtaking. The whole park was enclosed except for center field, so the noise stayed in and you could sit anywhere in the park and be a part of the game. People were always banging on the seats and fence behind the seats during rallies. Watching homeruns disappear into the upper deck was priceless, and they were actually good seats because they overhung the lower deck and there were not 3 stories of luxury boxes in between. You actually felt like you were at the same game as everyone else in the stadium.

In 2000 I went to 28 games at the New Comiskey (I lived closer and was able to get the Pizza Hut coupons). I sat in every area of the ball park. I didn't notice how crappy the park is when I had a good seat, but there are a lot of bad seats, mainly because they are so far away from the field. Comiskey is my favorite park to go to because of the team, but as a ball park, I still hate it.