PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Cubs make up game on September 3

Dan H
07-27-2009, 07:45 AM
The Sox-Cubs games are intense for obvious reasons, but I think this game will be interesting. September games don't mean more than any other games but they seem more important just because of the time of year. Both teams will contending for their divisions so this game will mean more than just bragging rights. Each team will need the win. If this Sox-Cubs game has a "playoff atmosphere," at least there will be a good reason for it. And if both teams are contending like they should, this is what the cross-town competition should be about.

hawkjt
07-27-2009, 09:18 AM
I sure would have preferred to get this game in back in June when the Cubs were playing poorly and the Sox were bashing the national league around...should have won both games in Wrigley(the start of the real decline of Liney to blow one game) and likely would have taken a third.

Now, Cubs playing better, Aramis Ramirez is back. Not sure who I would want the Sox to get as an opposing pitcher...maybe Dempster...Big Z is pitching better now, Wells has been tough, Harden is hot suddenly, and Lilly/Hart not bad.

It comes at the end of a brutal road trip to NY and Boston for the Sox..could be a very rough scenario that day for the Sox. But it is more than a month off and too early to lose sleep over that game now. Go get the twins.

kevingrt
07-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I have four tickets in section 422. First day of classes next semester I will tell each teacher I will not be attending class on Thursday due to a prior commitment. Hope they understand. It is my last semester though.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I sure would have preferred to get this game in back in June when the Cubs were playing poorly and the Sox were bashing the national league around...should have won both games in Wrigley(the start of the real decline of Liney to blow one game) and likely would have taken a third.

Now, Cubs playing better, Aramis Ramirez is back. Not sure who I would want the Sox to get as an opposing pitcher...maybe Dempster...Big Z is pitching better now, Wells has been tough, Harden is hot suddenly, and Lilly/Hart not bad.

What does that have to do with how they are playing over a month from now? They have every chance of cooling off as Bobby Jenks has of getting his act together. A quick glance at the schedule has them playing the Mets and Houston surrounding the make-up game. It also is "get away" day for the Cubs.

Law11
07-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I see the point though. This game will have less rivalry feel to it and more pennant drive feel to it. No reason to think we wont be right there come sept 3

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-27-2009, 01:17 PM
If there is "playoff atmosphere," at least we know the Cubs will choke.

oeo
07-27-2009, 01:20 PM

First off, the Cubs are not playing "better", they're playing weaker competition. Second, this is over a month away. What both teams look like right now has absolutely no bearing on how well they will look in September.

doublem23
07-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Happy Birthday to me. :D:

areilly
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
First off, the Cubs are not playing "better", they're playing weaker competition. Second, this is over a month away. What both teams look like right now has absolutely no bearing on how well they will look in September.

I know some folks who need to be reminded of this. Some are friends of mine. Others work for major sports media outlets.

hawkjt
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
No cubs fan here,just stating the obvious..cubs have won 10 of last 13 and they all count. Ramirez is back and he is a proven run producer. No way of knowing how they will be playing then,but I suspect they will be better than the abysmal cub team in june.

It is baseball, the cream,ie. highest payrolls do tend to rise over the long haul. Factually speaking,the cubs have the highest payroll in the NL Central by far and second maybe to only the Mets in the NL...if they are not in the thick of it, I would be surprised.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
No cubs fan here,just stating the obvious..cubs have won 10 of last 13 and they all count. Ramirez is back and he is a proven run producer. No way of knowing how they will be playing then,but I suspect they will be better than the abysmal cub team in june.

It is baseball, the cream,ie. highest payrolls do tend to rise over the long haul. Factually speaking,the cubs have the highest payroll in the NL Central by far and second maybe to only the Mets in the NL...if they are not in the thick of it, I would be surprised.
7 of those 13 were against the Nationals and Reds! Whoop ti freaking do! We don't have a single team in the AL that comes even close to the level of suckage the Nationals possess.