07-26-2009, 10:49 PM
How 'bout Clayton! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

johnnyg83
07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Nice outing CR, that's two in a row.

MeteorsSox4367
07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Richard was big when the Sox needed him. Way to go, kid.

Got him some run support and he pitched well.

Let's go kick some Piranha ass!

hi im skot
07-26-2009, 10:51 PM
This losing streak is OVAH.

Great game by Clayton. The offense still leaves a bit to be desired, but a win is a win is a win.

guillensdisciple
07-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I love it when the White Sox win!:D::D::D::D:

GoGoCrede
07-26-2009, 10:52 PM
That was very enjoyable. Nice to see our team do well on national television, Clayton digging for gold withstanding.

SoxFan1979
07-26-2009, 10:52 PM
:smile: We needed that. Thanks to CR, Paulie, and Bacon.

FielderJones
07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I think the title should have been Clayton Richard Picks a Winner. :D:

Soxman219
Should have won this series 3-1. Nice outing by Clayton! Time to go back to the Helldump.

JB98
As I've indicated on numerous occasions, Richard will develop into a solid back-of-the-rotation pitcher if people stay patient with him.

I would like to see him remain in the rotation, although I think the Sox will move him to the bullpen soon.

kevingrt
How can he lose the fifth starter role now?

WhiteSox1989
07-26-2009, 10:56 PM
What an effort by Clayton.

Tragg
07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Who is the "expendable" Richard and who is the "elite" Porcello?

WHIP: 1.47; ERA: 4.65

WHIP: 1.48; ERA: 4.62

Another great game, Clayton.

(the first numbers are Richard's)

SOXfnNlansing
07-26-2009, 11:00 PM
I knew if I didn't watch the game they'd win! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
Nice win. Get a big lead early and coast to the finish.

Whoever takes over the 5th starter slot it strengthens the team by adding another live arm to the bullpen. I assume it's Colon who will start that makes Richard available to be the long reliever or even a loogy and that frees up Thornton to take over the setup duties.

This series obviously could have been better, but it could have been worse too...

:soxwin:

:)

Noneck
These last 2 games must have really increased his value. But the question is: trade value or to this years success.

ChiSox89
07-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Big win for the sox. great outing by clayton.

jabrch
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Pitcher A
4.62 ERA, 1.48 WHIP

Pitcher B
4.65 ERA, 1.47 WHIP

Now - I know there is a lot more detail/data...but I'm wondering how much a difference there are between these guys, with the exception of wealth.

johnnyg83
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM

And headed in opposite directions recently

cheezheadsoxfan
07-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Thank you Clayton. Big difference between 2 out and 4 out.:smile:

soxnut1018
07-26-2009, 11:08 PM

Although, Porcello is 5 years younger.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 11:09 PM
He better get another start over Tub O Goo!

Way to go, Clayton!

DrCrawdad
07-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Great win! Not what I wanted, but much better to leave Detroit down by 2 games instead of 4.

NDSox12
07-26-2009, 11:10 PM
This series obviously could have been better, but it could have been worse too...

Agreed. Winning 1 of 4 is never a good thing, but at least tonight kept the series from being an utter disaster. Detroit has been very tough at home. Hopefully they'll take a beating this week on the road.

It will be very interesting to see how the pitching staff shakes out this next week.

soltrain21
07-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Pitcher A
4.62 ERA, 1.48 WHIP

Pitcher B
4.65 ERA, 1.47 WHIP

Now - I know there is a lot more detail/data...but I'm wondering how much a difference there are between these guys, with the exception of wealth.

Um. One is 20 years old.

jabrch
07-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I know GMs don't make evaluations based on one game...but his last 2 at least should have GMs thinking somewhat highly of Clayton relative to what they would have seen in his few previous starts.

kitekrazy
07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Great win! Not what I wanted, but much better to leave Detroit down by 2 games instead of 4.

Detroit has only lost 16 games at home.

Patrick134
07-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Detroit has only lost 16 games at home.

Amen. Realistically, i was hoping for a split of the 4 game series, and they came very close.

jabrch
07-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Um. One is 20 years old.

No doubt - Porcello had more fanfare and greater expectations. He's younger... But right now, he's no lock. And Clayton is no lock either.

Sure - Porcello is more likely to make it big, more likely to be a #1, more likely to be great.... But he's also more likely to be a waste of money since Clayton hardly cost the Sox anything - short of his $78K signing bonus.

twinsuck
07-26-2009, 11:19 PM
I like Clayton and he pitched a hell of a game. All that talk about Bartolo replacing him sucks. Clayton earned that spot.

GoGoCrede
07-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Did anyone else hear one of the announcers (forgot which one) call the Dump Dome a "Chamber of Horrors?" Cracked me up big time.

ode to veeck
07-26-2009, 11:21 PM
As I've indicated on numerous occasions, Richard will develop into a solid back-of-the-rotation pitcher if people stay patient with him.

I would like to see him remain in the rotation, although I think the Sox will move him to the bullpen soon.

I'd like to see him stay in the rotation, he did well in his very 1st starts and the last two are more than impressive. You're not going to get Jose or Barto to go that deep in the game, which really helps out your bullpen.

Cuck the Fubs
07-26-2009, 11:22 PM
We shoulda split....thanks to Richards we salvaged a game.

Now let's lay the wood to the Twins and that ****hole they play in!

siugrad25
07-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Mark Gonzales says in his gamer on the Tribune Web site that Richard will be heading back to the bullpen with Colon heading into the rotation. If this is the case, I'm pretty confident this won't be the last we see of Richard as a starter this season. :)

Lip Man 1
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I never thought I'd say this but thank God for Clayton Richard.

He made his last start a good one.

Man, to get yesterday's game back and go to the House of Horrors tied for first...oh well.

Lip

GlassSox
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Did anyone else hear one of the announcers (forgot which one) call the Dump Dome a "Chamber of Horrors?" Cracked me up big time.

Heard that and it was funny to me too :rolling:

ChicagoHoosier
07-26-2009, 11:31 PM
That was very enjoyable. Nice to see our team do well on national television, Clayton digging for gold withstanding.
And Thome!

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Yep, they said that in their closing thoughts. We aren't the only ones who call that place a House of Horrors or something like that.
Mark Gonzales says in his gamer on the Tribune Web site that Richard will be heading back to the bullpen with Colon heading into the rotation. If this is the case, I'm pretty confident this won't be the last we see of Richard as a starter this season. :)
Well, that's just great...I guess this means the bullpen gets stronger now! I'd say Richard should take Carrasco's spot as the first guy to come out in long relief.

Sox
07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Great to see the SOX win this one and to see Clayton have such a great outing. I really liked Orel Hersheisers take on Clayton. That was Clayton had a great example in Buerhle as a way that a pitcher is supposed to attack the plate with his pitches. Buerhle's example made the difference in Claytons game I feel anyway of how a big league pitcher is or should be successful.

ChicagoHoosier
07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I'd like to see him stay in the rotation, he did well in his very 1st starts and the last two are more than impressive. You're not going to get Jose or Barto to go that deep in the game, which really helps out your bullpen.

Need another solid lefty in our bullpen, maybe one who can eat some innings, and we already got two lefties in our starting rotation. I'm okay with this move and he can always step back in if Colon should falter.

Woofer
07-26-2009, 11:39 PM
This was one of the biggest wins of the season. It would have been great to at least split this series, but we all went over all of that yesterday. At least we have some momentum going into the Dome, and whatever happens in the next series, we only have 6 more to play there. Two games out is not the worst place to be, there is alot of ball yet to play.

voodoochile
07-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Great to see the SOX win this one and to see Clayton have such a great outing. I really liked Orel Hersheisers take on Clayton. That was Clayton had a great example in Buerhle as a way that a pitcher is supposed to attack the plate with his pitches. Buerhle's example made the difference in Claytons game I feel anyway of how a big league pitcher is or should be successful.

The biggest difference I've noticed is his ability to spot the change off the plate up or down to RHH. It's a drastic improvement to what he was doing when he was getting knocked all over the park and yes, it's something Buehrle does as well as any pitcher I can think of. Looks like a fat center cut change or hanging slider when it leaves the hand, but then it just stays outside either up or down it doesn't much matter, the batters have been flailing at it the last two games.

Also that 13 MPH difference between the fastball and change is big enough to keep batters guessing.

RadioheadRocks
07-26-2009, 11:44 PM
thank
u
:bandance:
What else is there to say???

cnw8052
07-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Yep. Jon Miller said it. :tongue:

slavko
07-27-2009, 12:11 AM
The biggest difference I've noticed is his ability to spot the change off the plate up or down to RHH. It's a drastic improvement to what he was doing when he was getting knocked all over the park and yes, it's something Buehrle does as well as any pitcher I can think of. Looks like a fat center cut change or hanging slider when it leaves the hand, but then it just stays outside either up or down it doesn't much matter, the batters have been flailing at it the last two games.

Also that 13 MPH difference between the fastball and change is big enough to keep batters guessing.

You don't want too much more of a difference than that. Hitters can spot it and have time to adjust. Foulke was a 2 pitch guy with the change ~10 MPH slower.

Richard looks like a clone of our other LH starters. Buerhle's a coach too. I wouldn't mind Clayton staying in the rotation with Colon as a backup closer. We have to have some fallback plan, don't we?

SBSoxFan
07-27-2009, 12:17 AM
You don't want too much more of a difference than that. Hitters can spot it and have time to adjust. Foulke was a 2 pitch guy with the change ~10 MPH slower.

Richard looks like a clone of our other LH starters. Buerhle's a coach too. I wouldn't mind Clayton staying in the rotation with Colon as a backup closer. We have to have some fallback plan, don't we?

Hawk told a story earlier this season on how Tom Seaver and a second pitcher decided they would determine what the "optimal" speed difference was bteween the fast ball and off speed pitch. If I recall correctly, they determined the answer was 13 mph. Anyone else remember that?

OmahaSoxFan
07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Nice W by Clayton tonight, that was a huge win for the Sox, 2 games back after this series wasn't what we wanted, but it could have been a whole lot worse.

Nice homers tonight from PK and Bacon, I was getting worried that Bacon was starting to slump a little, but that line-drive bomb was nice! :cool:

Go get those Twins, at least there's only 6 games left in that dump!

GoGoCrede
07-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Nice W by Clayton tonight, that was a huge win for the Sox, 2 games back after this series wasn't what we wanted, but it could have been a whole lot worse.

Nice homers tonight from PK and Bacon, I was getting worried that Bacon was starting to slump a little, but that line-drive bomb was nice! :cool:

Go get those Twins, at least there's only 6 games left in that dump!

I keep saying this, but there are no more games in that dump after September 2nd. Party's at my house!

Whitesoxfan23
07-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Well this was a great win by Richard and by the Sox. We desperately needed this game and Richard came through for us. This was a rough series, but at least we salvaged one game. They need to go into Minnesota and take care of business for a change. Get that mental block out of your head about Minnesota, Sox. We need this.

ode to veeck
07-27-2009, 12:41 AM
I never thought I'd say this but thank God for Clayton Richard.

He made his last start a good one.

Man, to get yesterday's game back and go to the House of Horrors tied for first...oh well.

Lip

His last 2 starts have been gems.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Havent been on WSI since Thursday, how bad was last night's game thread? The difference between 4 games and 2 heading into Minnesota is astronomical. If only this version of Clayton attacking the strike zone from pitch one to one hundred showed up every day.

Paulie now has two more rbis than last year.

Gordon Beckham has the rookie of the year all wrapped up already.

Tony Pena's slider looked filthy tonight.

It is great seeing Carlos making tough plays and not showing any signs of the foot bothering him. Hopefully the bat comes around soon.

Detroit's rotation after Verlander and Jackson is very shaky.

hawkjt
07-27-2009, 02:20 AM
I would like to see the Sox go with Danks,Buehrle,and Colon vs the Twins, then Gavin,Jose,Richard and Danks vs the yanks..then Buehrle,Colon,Gavin vs the Angels....go with a 6 man rotation til after the Angles series. It is a luxury that other teams do not have. Keep them fresh.

Way to go Clay, keep this kid in the rotation.

guillensdisciple
07-27-2009, 02:27 AM
I would like to see the Sox go with Danks,Buehrle,and Colon vs the Twins, then Gavin,Jose,Richard and Danks vs the yanks..then Buehrle,Colon,Gavin vs the Angels....go with a 6 man rotation til after the Angles series. It is a luxury that other teams do not have. Keep them fresh.

Way to go Clay, keep this kid in the rotation.

I like that idea, and what is even better is the fact that all those pitchers have the capacity to pitch well and win the games assigned to them. That is why I believe the White Sox are prime for a good run- their pitching staff is really strong.

guillensdisciple
07-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Havent been on WSI since Thursday, how bad was last night's game thread? The difference between 4 games and 2 heading into Minnesota is astronomical. If only this version of Clayton attacking the strike zone from pitch one to one hundred showed up every day.

Paulie now has two more rbis than last year.

Gordon Beckham has the rookie of the year all wrapped up already.

Tony Pena's slider looked filthy tonight.

It is great seeing Carlos making tough plays and not showing any signs of the foot bothering him. Hopefully the bat comes around soon.

Detroit's rotation after Verlander and Jackson is very shaky.

Agree with the Beckham observation. I was checking through his statistics, and not only has he already vaulted himself into the top rookie category of baseball in only 45 games, but his on base percentage is absolutely ridiculous. Prior to today his on base percentage was .359 and with the 3 for 4 on base performance that number will go up a little more. The kid is the complete package and it is scary how good he will be once he has gained experience and acclimates to the league.

By my calculations he is on pace to average 14 home runs, 94 rbis, 79 runs, and 14 stolen bases in a full season of play. That is only in his first year. Imagine how great he will be when he figure out pitchers and how to hit in the majors. Game, set, and match. What a steal for our organization.

delben91
07-27-2009, 07:19 AM
These guys still suck.

hawkjt
07-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Since the allstar break the Tigers have played 10 home games...and gone 4-6...they are awesome at home until that stretch.
Sox have played 11 games and gone 6-5...picking up 1.5 games on the Tigers even while knocking 4 games at Detroit off the schedule and finishing play with the defending AL Champ Rays.

Despite all the doom and gloom, it has been a good 10 days for the Sox.
Next ten games vs twins,yanks and angels...I would take 6-4 right now.
Tigers go to Texas this week...Rangers are playing well, and it will be 100 degrees in Arlington...go Rangers.

TomBradley72
07-27-2009, 09:47 AM
with Colon as a backup closer.

:scratch:

October26
07-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Enjoyed watching last night's game and Sox performance tremendously. What a fun game! I love it when the Sox score early in a game; I also love the energy that this team has with the youngsters (Beckham, Getz, Richard, Danks, Floyd) as well as the veterans (Podsednik, Konerko, Thome, Dye, Pierzynski, Buehrle, Contreras). Not sure which category to classify Alexei in - youngster or veteran?

When they play as a team and execute, they look fantastic! Now it's onto the House of Horrors. Go Sox!

ode to veeck
07-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Enjoyed watching last night's game and Sox performance tremendously. What a fun game! I love it when the Sox score early in a game; I also love the energy that this team has with the youngsters (Beckham, Getz, Richard, Danks, Floyd) as well as the veterans (Podsednik, Konerko, Thome, Dye, Pierzynski, Buehrle, Contreras). Not sure which category to classify Alexei in - youngster or veteran?

When they play as a team and execute, they look fantastic! Now it's onto the House of Horrors. Go Sox!

last year alexi was a youngster acting like a seasoned vet, this year he's like a seasoned vet acting like a newbie

cws05champ
07-27-2009, 10:11 AM

I don't know why, but I have a really good feeling about this series in Minny this time around. I usually don't but with Danks, Buehrle going in the first two I feel very confident we'll take at least 2 of 3.

gobears1987
07-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I have a good feeling about going to the house of horrors because the Twins have been tanking.

Chez
07-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but I think another reason Richard moves to the bullpen is that Thornton's wife is due to deliver their first child this week. Matt is likely to miss at least a couple of games and we need a lefthander in the pen (Richard) -- especially in Minnesota.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but I think another reason Richard moves to the bullpen is that Thornton's wife is due to deliver their first child this week. Matt is likely to miss at least a couple of games and we need a lefthander in the pen (Richard) -- especially in Minnesota.

Don't know if Richard would be available to pitch in MN after going 8 yesterday.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Don't know if Richard would be available to pitch in MN after going 8 yesterday.

The earliest we'd see him is Wednesday - right? And even that might be pushing it.

fram40
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Hawk told a story earlier this season on how Tom Seaver and a second pitcher decided they would determine what the "optimal" speed difference was bteween the fast ball and off speed pitch. If I recall correctly, they determined the answer was 13 mph. Anyone else remember that?

Hawk's been telling that story for years. I believe Seaver (and Koosman?) determined the optimal speed differential was 11 mph

Tragg
07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I think the story here, long term (and I know many don't care about that) is that the Sox are developing a real rotation behind Buehrle, Danks and Floyd: Richard and maybe Torres. That's a pretty solid rotation.

Right now we also have 2 veterans, perhaps 3 if Freddie does well to help us push through this year.

Oblong
07-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Any WSI'ers at teh game?

I was there. Near the end of the game, Beckham was up, after the game was pretty much conceded by Tiger fans, and a guy yells out "Fields is better!" and a Sox fan next to me says "You can have him."

Sox fans were well behaved, other than one lady that I took a picture of and uploaded to facebook. But her antics were balanced out by a Tiger fan next to me that I had to set straight as a nice family of 5 Sox fans were in front of us.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Did you also see that Buehrle was messing around with Richard in the dugout during the home half of some innings? That was just great! :smile:

Jollyroger2
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Since the allstar break the Tigers have played 10 home games...and gone 4-6...they are awesome at home until that stretch.
Sox have played 11 games and gone 6-5...picking up 1.5 games on the Tigers even while knocking 4 games at Detroit off the schedule and finishing play with the defending AL Champ Rays.

Despite all the doom and gloom, it has been a good 10 days for the Sox.
Next ten games vs twins,yanks and angels...I would take 6-4 right now.
Tigers go to Texas this week...Rangers are playing well, and it will be 100 degrees in Arlington...go Rangers.

I dunno, maybe I'm not as contend with mediocrity as most. I mean even with the win last night, how can any fan not be disappointed with the Tigers series? At worst, I wanted them to split, at best, take three of four, which they should have done.

I've said it before, were it not for their 7-game win streak over lousy teams, the Sox would be a below .500 club. Since that win streak ended on 7/3, they've gone an underwhelming 9-10. I can't see how people are statisfied with that, especially in the manner that the team has lost several of those games.

Now in the upcoming ten games vs. Minn, NY and Anaheim, if they do well, then great, I'll feel better...but this team has been annoyingly mediocre all season.

october23sp
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Alright well I am off to a weeks worth of football camp where there will be a bunch of Twins fans and then me. Hopefully the Sox can make me proud so I don't get ridiculed for a whole week. Talk to WSI on Friday night when I get home. Go Sox!

Foulke You
07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I was there. Near the end of the game, Beckham was up, after the game was pretty much conceded by Tiger fans, and a guy yells out "Fields is better!" and a Sox fan next to me says "You can have him."
Fields for Granderson straight up! :redneck

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Alright well I am off to a weeks worth of football camp where there will be a bunch of Twins fans and then me. Hopefully the Sox can make me proud so I don't get ridiculed for a whole week. Talk to WSI on Friday night when I get home. Go Sox!
You need to move that football camp to Chicago, sonny. They are .667 when you're in town.

Waysouthsider
07-27-2009, 02:07 PM
C.R. sure has me thinking about him in the rotation and Jose coming out of the pen!

Great job!

:cool:

jabrch
07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm not as contend with mediocrity as most.

I "dunno" either. Not sure how "contend" you are.

TomBradley72
07-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I've said it before, were it not for their 7-game win streak over lousy teams, the Sox would be a below .500 club. Since that win streak ended on 7/3, they've gone an underwhelming 9-10. I can't see how people are statisfied with that, especially in the manner that the team has lost several of those games.

Take a look at most team's records....if you back out their record against the bottom teams in the league...most teams drift back to .500 or slightly below.

We're only 3 games above .500...so by definition we're not a great team...I don't think very many people are "satisfied" with how we're currently doing. But I do think most are much more optimisitic now than they were 2 months ago (before Contreras bounced back, Beckham was called up, TCQ came back, etc.). Personally, I view this season as a rebuilding year, transitioning to a younger group of players, which I am OK with because it sets us up better for the long run, and we needed to give some prospects a chance to prove themselves before we burned millions of dollars on the high priced/veteran alternatives. If we can eek out a Division championship this year...I'll be happy.

I also think we have the chance to really gel and make a real run deep into the post season if we get a few breaks.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Take a look at most team's records....if you back out their record against the bottom teams in the league...most teams drift back to .500 or slightly below.

The other side of that coin is that if you back out 7 losses we had, we'd be well over .500.

This is a decent baseball team that has a chance to win and a chance to lose every day, against every opponent. If you aren't carrying a 150-200mm payroll, this is not a bad thing. Let's see what the trade deadline and then waiver trades brings us.

hawkjt
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I think the foundation of my ''contendment'' with this team is the emergence of the following young players the last two years

Danks,Floyd,Quentin,Alexei,Beckham and Getz.

Quentin was not a rookie last year but close to it or he would have won Rookie of the Year.
Alexei finished second in Rookie of Year voting.
Danks and Floyd had big breakthru years in their 2nd years.
Beckham should be rookie of the year this year.
Getz could be top 5 in rookie of year if he keeps hitting.

I cannot remember back to back years where the sox had 6 guys of this quality emerge basically from nowhere to be potential stars...

This makes me feel good about this team. We have added much needed speed and power pitchers...and high average hitters without trading away our farm system or valued vets.

It reminds me a little bit of the 83 team that was showing signs of playing well the first half but stalled by various obstacles, then it clicked and they took off. Not saying this team can take off like that, but you do just sense that if Carlos came back to form, Richard/Colon keeps pitching well,the bullpen comes back to norm and they stay healthy....they could take off. If they win the division with all the new guys...happy camper..what were we picked pre-season? Third or 4th? 72-90? We can do better.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
what were we picked pre-season? Third or 4th? 72-90? We can do better.

I know it is too early to pop the champagne, but I wonder what the excuses will be for such terrible predictions from the experts?

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I know it is too early to pop the champagne, but I wonder what the excuses will be for such terrible predictions from the experts?
Consider that there have been some roster changes (especially the addition of Podsednik and bringing up Bacon) that have significantly helped this team out. I'm not so sure this team would be anywhere near where they are right now without those two especially. These roster changes weren't figured into the pre-season predictions.

Tragg
07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I think the foundation of my ''contendment'' with this team is the emergence of the following young players the last two years

Danks,Floyd,Quentin,Alexei,Beckham and Getz.

I agree with you. We're developing talent AND contending at the same time. And it really looks like we have 3 players in the minors who will be joining that crowd in 10 and 11.
Contending every year is a good thing.

jabrch
07-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Consider that there have been some roster changes (especially the addition of Podsednik and bringing up Bacon) that have significantly helped this team out. I'm not so sure this team would be anywhere near where they are right now without those two especially. These roster changes weren't figured into the pre-season predictions.

So you mean to tell me that it is entirely possible that things change from January until October and that predictions like this are completely stupid because the odds are good that players will develop or regress, be healthy or fail, get traded or called up that will impact that in a manner that no expert could accurately predict?

Well I'll be damned...I would have never thought that.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
So you mean to tell me that it is entirely possible that things change from January until October and that predictions like this are completely stupid because the odds are good that players will develop or regress, be healthy or fail, get traded or called up that will impact that in a manner that no expert could accurately predict?

Well I'll be damned...I would have never thought that.
You missed my entire point. My point was that those predictions were not things to laugh at, because the team before the additions of Podsednik and Bacon had so many holes in it that the predictions weren't too far off from the reasonable expectations of the club. Pods and Bacon have REALLY ignited this ball club!

TomBradley72
07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
You missed my entire point. My point was that those predictions were not things to laugh at, because the team before the additions of Podsednik and Bacon had so many holes in it that the predictions weren't too far off from the reasonable expectations of the club. Pods and Bacon have REALLY ignited this ball club!

It goes both ways...they also assumed we'd have TCQ as our everyday LF...which we have not.