PDA

View Full Version : comiskey park name

raul12
06-05-2002, 10:52 AM
whatever happened with the funding for the park renovations? did it eventually come from inside, or did we get a sponsor? i was just thinking about this after i read the article about the park "formerly known as Enron Field". it's now "minute maid park". what an awful name....i was hoping we could avoid the same travesty.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 11:24 AM
The funding for the newest Comiskey renovations came the Sox and IFSA without additional outside sources. The new Soldier Field funding legislation included some money set aside for Comiskey renovations. I'm not sure, but I believe this was rolled into the budget for the current changes.

As for the naming rights, all corporate negotations failed. The Sox announced early this spring they were no longer pursuing it because no agreement could be struck. The final phase of renovations, including the proposed new upper-deck roof, have been put on hold indefinitely.

Comiskey will look about the same as it does now for the 2003 all-star game--assuming it even gets played. :(:

WinninUgly
06-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Dunno...but I'm still peeved they named that Concrete Jungle after the old park. They should've thought that one out some more, much like the whole freakin design in the first place. I was always keen on "Veeck Field" or something for the old guy - but I know Reinsdorf hated his guts.

As for a sponsor, I hope Krispy Kreme makes a bid - the team is playing like they're a##es are loaded down with them!

Whatever! :gulp:

raul12
06-05-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The funding for the newest Comiskey renovations came the Sox and IFSA without additional outside sources. The new Soldier Field funding legislation included some money set aside for Comiskey renovations. I'm not sure, but I believe this was rolled into the budget for the current changes.

As for the naming rights, all corporate negotations failed. The Sox announced early this spring they were no longer pursuing it because no agreement could be struck. The final phase of renovations, including the proposed new upper-deck roof, have been put on hold indefinitely.

Comiskey will look about the same as it does now for the 2003 all-star game--assuming it even gets played. :(:

i knew the motorola thing fell through, but wasn't sure if they had been successful with someone else. well, i think it's for the better....

MarqSox
06-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by raul12

i knew the motorola thing fell through, but wasn't sure if they had been successful with someone else. well, i think it's for the better....

Well, sure, if you think "better" means not having Phase 3 of the renovation. Comiskey could go from nice to awesome with that renovation, but we'll have to settle with what we have. If having a nicer park meant having to call it by some ridiculous corporate name, then so be it. It's just a name.

KingXerxes
06-05-2002, 02:27 PM
:reinsy

"Let's hold on a second there guys. You may have given up hope on cashing out for some naming rights - but I haven't. Hell I've got my best man working on it right now."

:hawk

"Okay Jerry......here's the Chicago Tribune's latest proposal. They'll pay $10 million if we call the park 'The Unfriendly Confines Where the Cubs Don't Play Park'."

"Are you kidding me? Call it that for only $10 million? Forget it....tell them $12.5 million and we've got a deal. What do you think Farmio"

:farmer

"Twelve and a half million, that's a lot of dollars....not doll hairs - twelve and a half million of those wouldn't do too much good.....except maybe on bobble head doll hair day....."

"I'll take that as a yes. Get going Hawk - cinch it up, hunker down, hang wiffem and all that other stuff you say....but don't come back at a penny less than $12.5 million."

:hawk

"Mercy......bobble head doll hair day.....You know I was just thinking about the time when the Washington Senators had a Frank Howard bobble head doll hair day, and wouldn't you know it, nobody told Ol' Frank. Well the day of the game he went out and got a fresh haircut, back in those days you had to have a flat-top of you just weren't going to make a major league club.................."

Spiff
06-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

lmao

voodoochile
06-05-2002, 02:31 PM

*****!!!

doublem23
06-05-2002, 02:40 PM
*****!

raul12
06-05-2002, 03:36 PM

*****! you write some of the funniest stuff on this board!

Paulwny
06-05-2002, 07:26 PM
The King rules.