PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers and Indians discussing Lee/Martinez

JermaineDye05
07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal the return for BOTH would be James Loney and either Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley along with prospects.

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/dodgers-indians-in-serious-discussions-about-lee-martinez.html)

MarkZ35
07-26-2009, 05:27 PM
A lot would have to go right for that trade to be worked out but that would have to make Dodgers the favorite in the NL and possibly all of MLB. It would have to be Loney, Kershaw, and a few other quality prospects.

Rockabilly
07-26-2009, 05:31 PM
great trade for Clev if it goes through

MarkZ35
07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Kershaw is only going to get better and Loney isn't Martinez but he is still a very good hitter. Add in a few good prospects and it is a very good trade for the Injuns. I just can't see Lee to continue to pitch like he did last year and at points this year. The bad part for the Indians is that Martinez siad he would like to always be an Indian.

GoGoCrede
07-26-2009, 05:43 PM

Yep. Billingsley is a stud. My Dodger fan friend loves him.

Sockinchisox
07-26-2009, 05:49 PM
The story has been updated with top officials from both teams strongly denying it.

soxfanreggie
07-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, but they would deny anything until it's final.

Huisj
07-26-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't see how this helps LA really. Kershaw is a stud already, and is very young. Billingsley was an all star. Lee is good but last year very well could have been his peak. Why give up a young very good starter for a veteran very good starter (one is just 2 years removed from a complete disaster of a season in what should have been his prime)?

Martinez over Loney is somewhat of an upgrade I guess because Loney's power hasn't really developed, but again, that's a 30 year old who was bad last year vs. a 25 year old. How big of an upgrade is that?

If I was LA I'd say no, and if I was Cleveland I'd jump on that. That to me says it's not happening.

Eddo144
07-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't see how this helps LA really. Kershaw is a stud already, and is very young. Billingsley was an all star. Lee is good but last year very well could have been his peak. Why give up a young very good starter for a veteran very good starter (one is just 2 years removed from a complete disaster of a season in what should have been his prime)?

Martinez over Loney is somewhat of an upgrade I guess because Loney's power hasn't really developed, but again, that's a 30 year old who was bad last year vs. a 25 year old. How big of an upgrade is that?

If I was LA I'd say no, and if I was Cleveland I'd jump on that. That to me says it's not happening.
Agreed. The Dogers would be giving up:
- A pitcher that is already pitching well at the major league level, and is very young
- A young first baseman, who is not likely to turn into a star, but is still a reliable contributor to a first place team

They would receive:
- A pitcher that is pitching well at the major league level, but is older and not cost-controlled
- A catcher/first baseman who is an upgrade, but older and with an injury history

The Dodgers are already the best team in baseball, and I don't see how Martinez and Lee are a big enough upgrade to give up two young guys, one of whom (either pitcher) has the makings of becoming a true stud.

dickallen15
07-26-2009, 09:50 PM
The Dodgers are saying the report is false.

Dick Allen
07-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, somehow I can't see the Dodgers doing this.