PDA

View Full Version : Jinxing a Perfect Game

Rohan
07-26-2009, 03:22 PM
So it's come to my attention lately just how superstitious baseball players are. Konerko with his batting gloves, Jenk's who's been wearing the same hat since 2005 (I think). - I even remember hearing about one player who ate fried chicken after every win :scratch:.

I can understand why players would be superstitious because they're actually in the situation. You don't want to change what you associate with success - That mentality makes sense to me.

But it's just hard for me to buy the idea that the fans should follow these superstitions as well. It's not like me mentioning that Buehrle is 7 outs from a perfect game when I'm at my measly home in Deerfield, Illinois is really going to have any baring on the situation at Cell. For me to think otherwise would be quite unfortunate and rather dimwitted.

What's your take on jynxing a perfect game/no hitter, and what other funny superstitious things have you heard of?

Huisj
07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
If fans sitting at home could not affect the outcome of a game, then I would never yell at the TV for certain things to happen or when things happen.

GoGoCrede
07-26-2009, 03:32 PM
I remember Ozzie not changing his pants for about a week last season when we were on a winning streak.

I think Swisher wore Toby Hall's pants for a while too, when he was on a hitting streak. Or something.

I know me sitting in front of the TV probably has no effect on the outcome, but I'm still one of those who won't say "no hitter" out loud when a Sox player has one going.

Actually, that reminds me of the blackout game. The guy next to me whispered, "Johnny's got a no-hitter going." Literally 15 seconds after, one of the Twins got a hit. The guy looked sheepish. "Me and my big mouth!"

DumpJerry
07-26-2009, 03:32 PM
So it's come to my attention lately just how superstitious baseball players are.
Lately? By "lately," do you mean since 1900?

soltrain21
07-26-2009, 03:34 PM
My brother buys into that not saying anything about it stuff. I don't. If a no hitter gets ruined it's because a pitcher missed his location, not because I said something to my dad.

What's next? A goat causes you to not win a World Series?

Rohan
07-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Lately? By "lately," do you mean since 1900?

Well I haven't been around for 110 years. I know they've always been superstitious, and I've always known that. But the magnitude of superstition has just "lately" come to my attention :D:.

Clembasbal
07-26-2009, 03:50 PM
So it's come to my attention lately just how superstitious baseball players are. Konerko with his batting gloves, Jenk's who's been wearing the same hat since 2005 (I think). - I even remember hearing about one player who ate fried chicken after every win :scratch:.

Wade Boggs ate Chicken before every game. I'm pretty sure it worked too

BleacherBandit
07-26-2009, 05:31 PM
What irritated me was somebody on Baseball Tonight tried to spin Buehrle's lack of supersticion regarding no-hitters as a supersticion itself. They said he talks about the fact he has a no-hitter going with everybody in the dugout to help himself actually achieve it. :rolleyes:

GoGoCrede
07-26-2009, 05:34 PM
What irritated me was somebody on Baseball Tonight tried to spin Buehrle's lack of supersticion regarding no-hitters as a supersticion itself. They said he talks about the fact he has a no-hitter going with everybody in the dugout to help himself actually achieve it. :rolleyes:

You can always count on intelligence from those guys, huh? :cool: I loved that Buehrle wasn't nervous and tight. He was enjoying it.

TDog
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Wade Boggs ate Chicken before every game. I'm pretty sure it worked too

I read where the first player to hit four home runs in a game (pre-1900, I've forgotten his name) had a big chicken dinner beforehand (although the game was played in the afternoon) and developed the chicken-eating superstition. The story goes that did so poorly after that that he eventually gave up eating chicken altogether.

I have heard a couple of reports about Mark Buehrle's attitude between innings during his perfect game. Many fans and announcers talk about jinxing a no-hitter as if it's all about them.

Often the reason people lose no-hitters shortly after people menion the possibility is that people notice as the game goes deeper, generally as the pitcher is facing hitters for the third time.

If talking about a no-hitter, especially from some remote place, jinxed no-hitters, there never would be any no-hitters. Of course, the Associated Press sends out worldwide advisories ever time a major league pitcher has no-hitter through six. They aren't all quickly followed by a never-mind advisory.

gobears1987
07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
I was talking about it in the game thread because I knew Buehrle would be talking about it in the dugout. Everyone yelled at me for jinxing it, but I knew damn well Buehrle doesn't believe in such jinxes so why should I concern myself with them?

mzh
07-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I think Swisher wore Toby Hall's pants for a while too, when he was on a hitting streak. Or something.

The way he's been hitting, Swisher ought to borrow A-Rod's golden thong! Unless Giambi took it to Oakland with him :tongue:

Thatguyoverthere
07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
If talking about it really ruined it, then there would be no-hitters because you know for damn sure the fans of the opposing team would be talking it up like crazy to jinx it.

GoGoCrede
07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
The way he's been hitting, Swisher ought to borrow A-Rod's golden thong! Unless Giambi took it to Oakland with him :tongue:

Now there's a visual I didn't need. :redneck

voodoochile
07-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Go read the game thread here on WSI. It's loaded with talk about the perfect game all the way through. People were counting down outs for cripes sake...

october23sp
07-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Go read the game thread here on WSI. It's loaded with talk about the perfect game all the way through. People were counting down outs for cripes sake...

In the 7th inning I mentioned something about keeping my TV to not jinx it because I hadn't watched until then. And someone said this may be your only opportunity to witness history, watch it. In the 7th inning.

BadBobbyJenks
07-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Once it was down to 9 away, I was in the crowd yelling 8 more! and so on. I think my favorite quirk about any baseball player is the fact that Buehrle jokes about it in the dugout. I just love that.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Once it was down to 9 away, I was in the crowd yelling 8 more! and so on. I think my favorite quirk about any baseball player is the fact that Buehrle jokes about it in the dugout. I just love that.
Not only was he in the dugout joking around, but there are reports from AJ Pierzynski himself that he and AJ were doing a ton of goofing off in the clubhouse mid-game. I guess since Castro was catching, AJ had to have some sort of role in the game! :D:

TornLabrum
07-27-2009, 06:43 AM

I was doing the same thing you were starting at exactly the same time (top of the 7th). I don't think I said "perfect game," but the guy sitting next to me did, and I joked (and he could tell because of my facial expression), "If he blows it now, I'm holding you personally responsible." He pointed out that he heard a guy behind him mention a no-hitter in the fourth.

Part of my conversation also dealt with the fact that I'd never seen a major league no-hitter in person, and that the only one I've ever seen was a Jackhammers game a few years ago. And I did use the term no-hitter. Superstition is BS.

However, I can see where players would be loath to mention it, just for fear of putting too much pressure on the pitcher.

Irishsoxfan
07-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I like to think I am not superstitious but I was trying to persuade my 'not interested in baseball' son (8) to watch it so I told him in the seventh that "he could see something not many people have ever done but I can't tell you what just yet." I guess I am a bit so ...

gobears1987
07-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I can definitely see how players wouldn't mention it as it would possibly add to the pressure. I think Buehrle's attitude towards it is part of the reason he has two no-hitters now. He is having fun. I think he was the loosest person in that stadium when he threw that perfect game. I'd bet the fans and his teammates were feeling far more tension than him.

mzh
07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm afraid to say (no pun intended) that I was one of those in the crowd that would have nothing to with the words perfect game. My Mother arrived at the game just after the sox half of the 6th, and at the top of the 8th looked at the scoreboard, and exclaimed "Oh, he's got a no-hitter!" She immediately received glares from 1/2 of the section (147), and I just hid my face in my hands. I was in the front row almost right at the spot where Pat Burrell's line drive knocked Laz Diaz off his feet, and I am ashamed to say I was prepared to ask my Mother to leave the premises immidately.

Law11
07-27-2009, 02:10 PM
In H.S (Fr year) we had a guy throwing a No-No and I swear to you I didnt know the unwritten rule. I told our guy as we took the field for the last inning "come on man just 3 more out for the no-no". 1st batter ripped a triple into the gap. Oops.:redface:

Man did I hear it..