PDA

View Full Version : Offense Concerns Anyone?

TomBradley72
07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Considering the number of folks willing to throw Jenks overboard for having a bad stretch, and a blown save built off a soft flare and broken bat texas leaguer...let's make sure we understand the offense that has produced our 5-5 start to the 2nd half:

Paul Konerko: .154
Jermaine Dye: .162
Dewayne Wise: .167
Alexei Ramirez: .227
Carlos Quentin: .238
Jim Thome: .241
Sure we need Jenks to get back on track....but when 2/3's of your line up and your big guys in the middle are hitting the way we're hitting...we're going to struggle.

GregO23
07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
But our team would have been 7-3 if it were not for Bobby Jenks.:scratch:

EDIT: Unless you are saying that we need to score more runs so we do not have to see Bobby Jenks.

voodoochile
07-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Paulie is really struggling. He's 1/22 with 2 walks in the last 7 games. You can always tell when he is thinking too much because he starts to adjust his batting gloves all the time.

Stop thinking so much, PK...

voodoochile
07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
But our team would have been 7-3 if it were not for Bobby Jenks.:scratch:

EDIT: Unless you are saying that we need to score more runs so we do not have to see Bobby Jenks.

Yes that's exactly what he's saying. Also if you continue to hand your closer 1 run leads you have no safety margin at all for when he's struggling. Which adds more pressure and causes more stress when a man or two reaches base.

Of course there are 20 threads you can talk about the bullpen woes currently active, so it would be nice if this one didn't get hijacked to talk about that stuff too...

Rohan
07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
You didn't take into account the pitchers that we've been facing as of late.

MarkZ35
07-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Our offense has been better than the other teams for the 1st 8 innings of most of our games lately. Could they be better? Yes, but we've been facing above average pitching lately.

russ99
07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
My only offensive concern is that Quentin is now a singles hitter. I've seen nothing that let's me believe that the foot is't affecting his swing.

Getz has looked good enough at the plate to not mess with the IF until the offseason.

We could use another decent hitting OF in general, with Nix IMO the guy to be sent down.

TomBradley72
07-26-2009, 03:18 PM
You didn't take into account the pitchers that we've been facing as of late.

Maybe...but if you're truly a contending/Division champion type team...you can't fall that far off against good pitching.

Tampa is #3 in runs scored in the AL...I don't see anyone using that as an excuse for Jenks' struggles in that series.

TomBradley72
07-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes that's exactly what he's saying. Also if you continue to hand your closer 1 run leads you have no safety margin at all for when he's struggling. Which adds more pressure and causes more stress when a man or two reaches base.

Of course there are 20 threads you can talk about the bullpen woes currently active, so it would be nice if this one didn't get hijacked to talk about that stuff too...

And it effects the whole bullpen, not just Jenks...if you're offense is producing a little bit more...you can leave the starter in longer, not go to Thornton early in the game, not bring Jenks in for the 8th, etc.

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Good teams win 1 run games.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I had to do a double take when I was looking over PK's and JD's stats for the past week or so...with Pods, AJ and Beckham spraying the ball all over the place I guess I got a little off track....

Sure would be nice to see the boys run on all cylinders....

MarkZ35
07-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Exactly.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM

Problem is we've classified ourselves as mediocre....

Daver
07-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Problem is we've classified ourselves as mediocre....

This is a mediocre team.

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2009, 03:44 PM
This is a mediocre team.

But, we're in a mediocre division.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-26-2009, 03:48 PM
I have no idea where this is going haha....

thomas35forever
07-26-2009, 04:05 PM
But, we're in a mediocre division.
...in a mediocre...oh wait, it's not. I shouldn't even try.

Seriously though, if our offense is going into a funk (and I think it is), they sure picked a helluva time to do it. I don't want to be in third place by the end of the Twins series.

DumpJerry
07-26-2009, 04:44 PM
My concerns are mildly irritating. Nobody has told me that my concerns are offensive. So, no, I don't have any offensive concerns.......

hawkjt
07-26-2009, 05:38 PM
It is mildly surprising that the Sox were even in position to go 7-3 over that stretch considering those averages. And Beckham was cold the last 4-5 games cept for yesterdays double also. Yet if they just execute with men on third with less than two out they could still win with these averages since the starters have been pretty solid. A clutch hit here and there and they are maybe 8-2.

Still, both the offense and bullpen bear the responsibility for a tough stretch.

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I still say that the offense has been good enough to get or regain the lead. The BP hasn't been able to hold it.

TDog
07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
This is a mediocre team.

Fortunately they're in a mediocre division in a mediocre league.

Daver
07-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Fortunately they're in a mediocre division in a mediocre league.

Considering the fact that the AL has dominated the NL the past few seasons, I fail to see what you are trying to imply with this post.

hawkjt
07-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Considering the fact that the AL has dominated the NL the past few seasons, I fail to see what you are trying to imply with this post.

Both leagues are mediocre. The World Series Champ should give back their rings..now the Japanese leagues...they are stellar:D:

ode to veeck
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
offensively, with Quentin back they actually have a pretty solid lineup all the way through with the current starters, more balanced as well with speed throughout around the slow footed big guys in the middle

two games with the kittens are meaningless in the big picture of a long season---keep the starter healthy will keep the Sox offense in good shape in general

Jurr
07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
The offense has been more versatile and has done enough in the last 30-40 games. If the bullpen does its job in the last week and a half, the Sox would be 4, maybe 5 games up in first.

kitekrazy
07-26-2009, 09:28 PM

I think he's implying the NL is bad...really bad.

jabrch
07-26-2009, 09:43 PM
This team is good enough to make it to the post season. It's good enough to win it all. It is also bad enough to miss the post season. It's good enough to win 8 of 10 and it is bad enough to go .500 or even slightly worse for a stretch of games. It's good enough to beat the best of the best in a series. It's bad enough to lose to the worst of the worst.

Am I concerned about the offense? No more than the pitching...and much less than the defense.

slavko
07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Un-un-fire Greg Walker.