PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis-Star Tribune likes Sox for Division Title

07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/51623202.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqCP:iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU LPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Says that they still like us despite losing the first three in Detroit. Thoughts?

Rohan
07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Sounds like they just wanted to stir the pot a little. All such thing as bad press in the media business.

I call the Sox to win the division too. But this division is wayy too close to call right now.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-26-2009, 11:03 AM
In all honesty its going to be a race of turtles the next couple of months...I really have a feeling that the next team to put a nice winning streak together is going to win the division...lets hope the Sox can be that team....

soxyess
07-26-2009, 11:09 AM
My concern is the schedule difficulty from here on out. the Sox have a slew of games with the Yankees, Sawks, Angels, Twins at Minn. While the Tigers are playing Clev and Balt.

LITTLE NELL
07-26-2009, 11:12 AM
My concern is the schedule difficulty from here on out. the Sox have a slew of games with the Yankees, Sawks, Angels, Twins at Minn. While the Tigers are playing Clev and Balt.
I have the same concerns.

Noneck
07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
In all honesty its going to be a race of turtles the next couple of months...I really have a feeling that the next team to put a nice winning streak together is going to win the division...lets hope the Sox can be that team....
Looking at the schedule, I don't see much of an opportunity of a Sox winning streak. Maybe in mid Aug with KC and Balt at home.

ChiSox81
07-26-2009, 11:57 AM
They are right. The Tigers insist on having Verlander and Jackson throw 110+ pitches per start because they are trying to win the division in July :rolleyes: they are going to be on the DL by the time September rolls around. The twins don't have the pitching to match us.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
The Tigers still have games left with Texas, Tampa, Boston, LA, Seattle, Toronto, and @ Oakland. Plus, we still have 7 games left with them. The schedule isn't as easy as you think.

SOXSINCE'70
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/51623202.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqCP:iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU LPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Says that they still like us despite losing the first three in Detroit. Thoughts?

Winning a series in the Dump Dome would help.:angry:

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I like our chances too, as long as everyone gets their act together. With 63 games left, pissing away games needs to stop, immediately!

thomas35forever
07-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I see that one commenter failed to notice we have one more game in our Detroit series.

As I said in the postgame thread two nights ago, it's getting to the point of the season where people start to say there's a lot of baseball left. I know that's a cliche, but it's true. The Sox have a lot of time to overtake Detroit and hold off Minnesota. I think we'll learn more about this team during the trade deadline and a lot more over the month of August.

central44
07-26-2009, 04:22 PM
On paper, the Sox have as deep a lineup as anyone. There aren't any major weaknesses from the starting players. They just took 3 of 4 from a very good AL East team, who happen to be defending AL champions.

I would hope that the poor offense is just a hangover from the perfect game. The bats had been lighting it up. A 5th starter would be nice to add, but when 1-4 are going strong, its hardly a major concern. And the bullpen was a major strength a few weeks ago. I don't know whats happened to it, but whether or not it manages to come back is probably going to be what decides the division.

I firmly believe that on paper, the Sox are by far the best team in the AL Central and one of the elite in the American League. If our players start doing what they're capable of, there's no reason this team shouldn't be able to win this division comfortably.

malbert346
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
I firmly believe that on paper, the Sox are by far the best team in the AL Central and one of the elite in the American League. If our players start doing what they're capable of, there's no reason this team shouldn't be able to win this division comfortably.

One of the elite? While they're capable of winning the division, I don't think you can call this team "elite" because they wouldn't even be in the race right now in the AL East. Paper is theoretical but performance is reality. While I understand they don't play in that division, I think being "elite" implies that you are in the top echelon of a league. If you're in the top echelon, then theoretically you'd be able to compete in ALL of the divisions.

ChicagoHoosier
07-26-2009, 10:29 PM
In all honesty its going to be a race of turtles the next couple of months...
Never heard that comment before, but it's AWESOME! Isn't this just the same as last year? Get up, get down. It's ours to win. We just blew it. So many opportunities. Wait - the other team we're racing with just lost one too.

One of the elite? While they're capable of winning the division, I don't think you can call this team "elite" because they wouldn't even be in the race right now in the AL East. Paper is theoretical but performance is reality. While I understand they don't play in that division, I think being "elite" implies that you are in the top echelon of a league. If you're in the top echelon, then theoretically you'd be able to compete in ALL of the divisions.

Until the last three games (prior to tonight), maybe a better comment would be we have one of the elite offenses and possibly starting rotation. Bullpen, which I thought was strong, is turning out to be a weak point right now.

malbert346
07-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Don't forget about the defense, too. We have every reason to be enamored of Wise's catch, but the defense hasn't exactly been stellar for the entire season. I do think it's significantly better than where it used to be at the start of the year. Let's hope it improves even more.

Sox
07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
In order for the SOX to get into the PO and win this division there going to have to produce more runs. I believe that I heard tonight on the national telecast that the SOX are only averaging 4.5 runs a game. I don't know for sure if that was for this series with the Tigers or if that is a season average. Whatever the case the SOX are definitely going to need to manufacture more runs as well as keep our starters and our bullpen healthy...obviously.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 10:55 PM
In order for the SOX to get into the PO and win this division there going to have to produce more runs. I believe that I heard tonight on the national telecast that the SOX are only averaging 4.5 runs a game. I don't know for sure if that was for this series with the Tigers or if that is a season average. Whatever the case the SOX are definitely going to need to manufacture more runs as well as keep our starters and our bullpen healthy...obviously.
4.5 runs a game is their season average.

Sam Spade
07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd like to see how many runs a game they scored in July before saying they need to score more runs. I would guess it to be higher than the season average.

TDog
07-26-2009, 11:42 PM

The Sox were playing the Rays while the Twins were playing the last place A's. That worked out for the Sox -- not as well as the Twins finishing up last season against the Royals, of course.

The Indians and Orioles can be competitive teams. The Indians, like the White Sox won their season series against the Rays, and the Orioles beat Roy Halladay.

The White Sox face a challenge, but it isn't like the Tigers don't.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 11:57 PM
I'd like to see how many runs a game they scored in July before saying they need to score more runs. I would guess it to be higher than the season average.
Our runs per game average is 4.95 for the month of July.