PDA

View Full Version : Perfect game question

LITTLE NELL
07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
With Marks perfect game I was thinking if a batter pops up in foul territory and say the 3B drops the ball on a easy play and is charged with an error, then the batter is retired, pitcher goes on and retires everybody else for 27 up and 27 down, is it still a perfect game?

Brian26
07-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Nobody reached base, so yes.

manders_01
07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
With Marks perfect game I was thinking if a batter pops up in foul territory and say the 3B drops the ball on a easy play and is charged with an error, then the batter is retired, pitcher goes on and retires everybody else for 27 up and 27 down, is it still a perfect game?

Why would the third baseman get an error? I thought a foul ball is considered a "not guaranteed" play and therefore cannot be considered an error?

Lip Man 1
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
The official scorer has the digression to charge an error on a foul ball that in their opinion should have been caught. Just because it was in foul territory doesn't mean you can't get an error if you drop an easy play.

Lip

manders_01
07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
The official scorer has the digression to charge an error on a foul ball that in their opinion should have been caught. Just because it was in foul territory doesn't mean you can't get an error if you drop an easy play.

Lip

Ah - thank you.

DumpJerry
07-26-2009, 01:42 PM

Lip
Keep in mind that under rule 34.2.5(a)(ii), the Official Scorer's home address and phone number is published in the newspaper of the pitcher's team's hometown if he scores it an error.

LITTLE NELL
07-26-2009, 02:00 PM

Lip
It could also affect the pitchers ERA if no error was charged since he got the batter to pop up. I have and I'm sure Lip has seen quite a few errors called on foul balls down through the years.

voodoochile
07-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Keep in mind that under rule 34.2.5(a)(ii), the Official Scorer's home address and phone number is published in the newspaper of the pitcher's team's hometown if he scores it an error.

Just saw Ichiro get called for one the other night. Actually thought it was a tough call, long run, but the ball did bounce off his mitt.

Noneck
07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
The most traumatic foul ball error I saw, was in 1970. The Sox were playing the Orioles, I think. A high pop up was hit in foul territory just outside of 3rd base. Melton camped under it and either lost it in the lights or took his eye off of it. It hit him square on the beak. Busted it and it was one messy scene. I think he missed about a week. E-5

waldo_the_wolf
07-26-2009, 07:32 PM

Someone asked Baseball Digest this same question years ago, they said it would not be a perfect game.

MarySwiss
07-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Someone asked Baseball Digest this same question years ago, they said it would not be a perfect game.

Well, seems to me that, with all due respect to Baseball Digest, if the definition of a perfect game is that nobody reached, then if nobody reached, it must be a perfect game. :?:

LITTLE NELL
07-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, seems to me that, with all due respect to Baseball Digest, if the definition of a perfect game is that nobody reached, then if nobody reached, it must be a perfect game. :?:
Wikipedia quoting baseball rules agrees with you Mary, in fact it addesses the issue that I started in this thread.

TommyJohn
07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
I recall the same question and they said it would be a perfect game.