PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs. Orioles 8/22/09

stevied23
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
So my gf surprised me with a trip to Chicago for my 30th birthday to see the Sox play the Orioles in a few weeks. This will be my first trip to Chicago. Needless to say, I'm very very pumped to see the Sox play at US Cellular. I've seen them play the Twins several times in the Metrodump but nothing can compare with this. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to go for a cocktail or two before the game? Also, if anyone from here is interested in meeting for a drink or two before the game, please let me know. I would love to chat about the Sox with some fellow fans from here. Thanks!

WhiteSox1989
07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
How cool. I haven't been to many places by the ballpark, but Buffalo, Wings, and Rings is right on Halsted, very close to the ballpark. They have good food too!

have fun!

DumpJerry
07-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Bullpen Sports Bar beneath the Right Field seats. Good drinks, good food.

Enter the park at Gate 2.

IrishElvis
07-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Schallers 37th and Halsted Free parking and good food too.

Closest thing to McCuddys a true Sox "Joint!"

Revolutn
07-26-2009, 11:15 AM
First; Congrats - keep that girl she sounds like a genuine winner.

http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/3681852/chicago_il/jimbo_s.html

Sometimes the SCORE will do pregame radio broadcast from JIMBO's but not all the time.

I also can second the recommendation to hit the BullPen bar.

Sometimes they do a broadcast from the Bullpen bar too, although more frequently it's the post-game show, and again not all the time.

Grandstand is also a pretty popular place to pickup memorabilia outside of the park that's right in the neighborhood, but it's just that a place to buy stuff not a bar or restaurant.

Not sure what else you might want to do while in town but leaving the Comiskey area you are just a few min drive from the lakefront where there's all kinds of things to see and do. The Museums, Millennium Park, Navy Pier etc. as admittedly there's not much in the immediate surrounding park area to do touristy wise.

Good luck & get us all a winner.

stevied23
07-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far. We will definitely check out a few of those spots. I'm just afraid that once I get to Chicago, I'm never going to want to leave.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Sometimes the SCORE will do pregame radio broadcast from JIMBO's but not all the time.

I also can second the recommendation to hit the BullPen bar.
Jimbo's is no longer. Its space is vacant.

The Bullpen Bar can be a nice place to go before the game, but they can sometimes shoo you out of there very quickly after the game.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far. We will definitely check out a few of those spots. I'm just afraid that once I get to Chicago, I'm never going to want to leave.
Yea, that's probably gonna happen. You'll definitely want to come back again.

stevied23
07-26-2009, 02:54 PM

The Bullpen Bar can be a nice place to go before the game, but they can sometimes shoo you out of there very quickly after the game.

Yea, that's probably gonna happen. You'll definitely want to come back again.
Well unfortunately I'm not a Bears fan but I'm a die-hard Bulls and Sox fan which is more than enough reason to visit there as much as I can. Pair that with an awesome city, restaurants, museums, the lake front, what more could I ask for. I think that trip alone might make me start looking for jobs in the area.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Well unfortunately I'm not a Bears fan but I'm a die-hard Bulls and Sox fan which is more than enough reason to visit there as much as I can. Pair that with an awesome city, restaurants, museums, the lake front, what more could I ask for. I think that trip alone might make me start looking for jobs in the area.
Do you like hockey at all? I'd highly recommend checking out a Blackhawks' game. :smile:

stevied23
07-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Do you like hockey at all? I'd highly recommend checking out a Blackhawks' game. :smile:
I'm not a huge hockey fan but I like to go to games, not so much watching it on tv. Hockey is huge around here though, some of the best college hockey in the country about an hour north of here. I'm glad to see the Blackhawks having some success again.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not a huge hockey fan but I like to go to games, not so much watching it on tv. Hockey is huge around here though, some of the best college hockey in the country about an hour north of here. I'm glad to see the Blackhawks having some success again.
Well, I notice your location puts you in (the team formerly known as) Fighting Sioux territory. You should get to a Blackhawks game to see former Sioux Jonathan Toews. :smile:

Just make sure you get your tickets ahead of time. It's very rare that you can get anything at the door.

soxfanreggie
07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Enjoy the trip and keep that girl!

skobabe8
07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Where are you staying? This might influence your decision on where to grab a drink before or after the game.

Revolutn
07-29-2009, 07:07 PM

Holy shnike, that's a lot of egg on my face. Talk about embarrassed, lol. Yikes.

Thanks for correcting me so our out of town guest wasn't looking for a non existent place.

stevied23
08-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Where are you staying? This might influence your decision on where to grab a drink before or after the game.
I believe I'll be at the Hyatt which is supposed to be about 3 or 4 miles from the ballpark. I don't have a lot of the specifics since I didn't plan it so I'm just going off of what she's saying.

kittle42
08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
I'll be a typical north sider and say drink up downtown, then get the red line south.

na_na_na_na
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Around the ballpark for diner at a true bridgeport place i suggest Gio's on Lowe not a bar but sort of a cool flavor of the neighborhood. It's byob. After the Game the bullpen bar is the best place to catch 1-2 drinks. Then head back to the loop, if you don't mind expensive drinks Roof is the most popular bar in the city right now and offers an amazing 16th floor rooftop view of chicago.

If your staying at the hyatt you will be right downtown so have plenty of entertainment options.