PDA

View Full Version : Golf carts and relievers

eastchicagosoxfan
07-25-2009, 06:48 PM
When did teams start and eventually stop using golf carts to bring in relief pitchers? Were they used is it just a figment of my imagination? Why did it stop? (assumes it existed)

Daver
07-25-2009, 07:09 PM
It was a seventies fad that lasted a few years and disappeared, I think the Mets started it, but I'm not positive on that, Mark will probably know.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
IIRC the Sox used golf carts in the 60's.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Here you go folks:

June 7, 1951 - Chicago area native Marv Rotblatt becomes the first pitcher to enter a game while being driven in from the center field bullpen. Rotblatt relieved starter Harry Dorish in the Sox 5 - 0 win over Washington. In the 1960's, Sox pitchers were brought into the game in golf carts and in 1966, a converted snowmobile (sponsored by Nickey Chevrolet) that was fitted with special skies so as to not harm the grass, performed the task.

Lip

eastchicagosoxfan
07-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Here you go folks:

June 7, 1951 - Chicago area native Marv Rotblatt becomes the first pitcher to enter a game while being driven in from the center field bullpen. Rotblatt relieved starter Harry Dorish in the Sox 5 - 0 win over Washington. In the 1960's, Sox pitchers were brought into the game in golf carts and in 1966, a converted snowmobile (sponsored by Nickey Chevrolet) that was fitted with special skies so as to not harm the grass, performed the task.

Lip
Thanks Lip.

aryzner
07-25-2009, 10:11 PM
As a 25 year old, the only thing I can remember with pitchers coming in on golf carts is from when you see it in the old NES game Bases Loaded.

Viva Medias B's
07-25-2009, 10:42 PM
The last golf cart I think most of us saw was the one former Indians catcher Jake Taylor used to pursue his then former and now current again wife, Lynn Taylor.:D:

Railsplitter
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
The last golf cart I think most of us saw was the one former Indians catcher Jake Taylor used to pursue his then former and now current again wife, Lynn Taylor.:D:

And I think they'd been out of fashion even when the movie cames out. Note that in climactic game Rick "The Wild Thing" Vaughn walked from the pen.

I wonder if TV pressure discontinued the golf cart use. They can squeeze in another commercial while a pitcher walks rather than rides in from the pen.

twentywontowin
07-26-2009, 07:05 PM
All I know is that if I was a reliever, I would come out to the Ultimate Warrior entrance music and run full sprint to the mound.

soxfanreggie
07-26-2009, 07:28 PM
And Twenty might become the first reliever to go on the DL from his venture in from the pen with a pulled hammy...:D:

Shoeless_Jeff
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
All I know is that if I was a reliever, I would come out to the Ultimate Warrior entrance music and run full sprint to the mound.

Are you a Todd Coffey fan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_yOYxKxyU

He always runs out of the bullpen at full speed.

InKennyWeTrust
07-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I remember when Jonathan Papelbon first came up, he used that as his music for at least one game.

doublem23
07-28-2009, 01:10 AM
I would come out to Final Countdown, and appear only after the bullpen doors opened and a couple of balls of smoke were released.

1VwQIt7CwPI

ViPeRx007
07-28-2009, 02:28 AM
As a 25 year old, the only thing I can remember with pitchers coming in on golf carts is from when you see it in the old NES game Bases Loaded.

lol. I'm the same age and that's the first picture that came into my mind as well.

skobabe8
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
And I think they'd been out of fashion even when the movie cames out. Note that in climactic game Rick "The Wild Thing" Vaughn walked from the pen.

I wonder if TV pressure discontinued the golf cart use. They can squeeze in another commercial while a pitcher walks rather than rides in from the pen.

I would think its just too embarrassing to the pitcher coming in to have to ride in a cart.