PDA

View Full Version : Whats it going to take?

soxyess
07-25-2009, 12:41 PM
What's it realistically going to take for us to seriously challange for the WS? I think we need another quality starter, another BP arm, and another bat. In order to get through the Yankees, Sawks, or Angels, pitching is paramount. However, having to rely on Fields and or Wise for long periods of time isn't going to help us against quality pitching.Any thoughts?

Lip Man 1
07-25-2009, 01:27 PM
They are going to have to significantly improve the back end of the starting rotation (two slots next year), improve the bench dramatically, get a legit leadoff hitter, (Podsednik with respect is not the long term solution) and / or solve the center field position (Chone Figgins?) plus depending on the Dye situation, they may need another power bat, corner outfielder.

They are also going to have to figure out how to do all this with a number of advertising deals that are expiring and may not be renewed according to ownership plus with a fan base that is taking a more sober look at how many games they want to attend due to the economy, the Sox continually raising ticket prices and inconsistent play on the field.

It's a very tall order.

Lip

Noneck
07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
They are also going to have to figure out how to do all this with a number of advertising deals that are expiring and may not be renewed according to ownership plus with a fan base that is taking a more sober look at how many games they want to attend due to the economy, the Sox continually raising ticket prices and inconsistent play on the field.

It's a very tall order.

Lip

Lip,

Im curious, Is this a local phenomenon or is this also happening with other clubs?

Lip Man 1
07-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Noneck:

Can't answer that one... good question. I'd assume because you have 30 clubs and hundreds of deals that the law of averages says that other clubs probably have some expiring as well.

I don't think the Sox somehow "deliberately" timed it so a half dozen or so would expire after 2009. It just happened.

This is a question for Brooks Boyer, e-mail him.

Lip

soxyess
07-25-2009, 01:43 PM
They are going to have to significantly improve the back end of the starting rotation (two slots next year), improve the bench dramatically, get a legit leadoff hitter, (Podsednik with respect is not the long term solution) and / or solve the center field position (Chone Figgins?) plus depending on the Dye situation, they may need another power bat, corner outfielder.

It's a very tall order.

Lip

I know thats a fair long term assessment. Im talking more about this season. What do we need to get us there, and any realistic player suggestions

Noneck
07-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Noneck:

Can't answer that one... good question. I'd assume because you have 30 clubs and hundreds of deals that the law of averages says that other clubs probably have some expiring as well.

I don't think the Sox somehow "deliberately" timed it so a half dozen or so would expire after 2009. It just happened.

This is a question for Brooks Boyer, e-mail him.

Lip

I am sure if Brooks Boyer knew if this was also happening with other clubs (and the law of probability says it is) He sure wouldn't tell me. But thanks anyway, I think my question was answered.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Soxyes:

I think the needs of the team are so great to get to the situation that you specifically described in the opening comment, that I do not think it is possible for Kenny to accomplish it in the next week.

I think you hope the Sox can win out a mediocre division, have a winning record and hope for the best in the post season.

Lip

SCCWS
07-25-2009, 02:18 PM
JD Drew is really struggling as well as the Red Sox offense and they have lost 5+ games to Yankees in last few weeks. Red Sox have liked JD in past. How about trading Dye + good prospect for Baldelli and Buchholz.

Noneck
07-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Soxyes:

I think the needs of the team are so great to get to the situation that you specifically described in the opening comment, that I do not think it is possible for Kenny to accomplish it in the next week.

I think you hope the Sox can win out a mediocre division, have a winning record and hope for the best in the post season.

Lip

Lip,

I agree but a move or two now may help this team compete better in this mediocre divsion. I understand this is the time of year a team over pays, but that shows appreciation to a fan base than may have been overcharged.

russ99
07-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Sorry but I'm calling shenanigans on that "Oh no! Our advertisers may not be back..." mentality by the Sox. Then get new advertisers. They have a good sales team, what's the problem here?

Truth is that Jerry cut payroll, and I don't see him raising it anytime soon, unless we can get a real impact player. Anything else said to the contrary is just B.S. by management, IMO.

If the Sox don't add a starter and/or a backup outfielder who can hit, then they're not serious about winning this year. But maybe they weren't to begin with.

soxyess
07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Soxyes:

Lip

Your probably right lip I dont see KW putting together a team that can get through Boston, Yanks, or Angels this year.

russ99
07-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Your probably right lip I dont see KW putting together a team that can get through Boston, Yanks, or Angels this year.

I don't buy that either. Strange things happen in the playoffs. The key is to get in, and I don't see us getting in with the currrent roster.

Though I'm hopeful. It's been real quiet the last week about the Sox and trades. Usually when that happens, Kenny's up to something...

soxyess
07-25-2009, 02:32 PM
In order to have a realistic shot this year KW would have to add a Haren/Halladay type starter, a somewhat quality outfielder/bat, and probably another bullpen arm. This is your only realistic chance to get deep in the playoffs.

KMcMahon817
07-25-2009, 04:00 PM
In order to have a realistic shot this year KW would have to add a Haren/Halladay type starter, a somewhat quality outfielder/bat, and probably another bullpen arm. This is your only realistic chance to get deep in the playoffs.

That's ridiculous. While I would not be opposed to a Haren/Halladay type acquisition, those players are only going to make a difference in 8-10 games if all goes as planned/ A quality outfield bat? And where exactly do you see this quality outfield bat playing? Acquiring a solid 4th outfielder who can spell Quentin AND Pods in center a couple times a week would be a much more realistic option. And, another bullpen arm would definitely help. But, the Sox definitely do not NEED all 3 of those things in order to have a chance in the playoffs. See, Rockies, Colorado, year 2007 and or Cardinals, St. Louis, year 2006, for recent examples of teams that went deep into the playoffs without a ridiculously stacked team and a slightly above average regular season.

soxfanreggie
07-25-2009, 04:11 PM
A CF or 2B who can leadoff, as I'm willing to keep Pods aboard but not as the long-term leadoff solution and another solid starter, someone we're comfortable giving the ball to in game 2 of a playoff series. I doubt we'd acquire the type of pitcher who would supplant Burls in game 1, as it would shock me if we signed another pitcher besides Burls to that type of contract.

Once Thome goes, we can always experiment with the PK or Dye to DH, with occasionally using TCQ there for some rest for him, and then using 1B as a way to keep Fields on the roster. Fields could then be a back-up 3B if that's where we're going to keep Bacon.

I wonder if Pods stays because he is signed to a 1-year deal and could potentially now get a bigger multiple-year deal elsewhere. Some small-market team could offer him a 2 year, $5 to 6 million deal, do the Sox match that or do we have plans to bring in someone else next year?

khan
07-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I think the rotation is sufficient to get to the playoffs. Once there, the question will be: Are Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, and Fill-In-The-Blank enough to win the WS?

Strangely enough, I think that the rotation is sufficient, assuming that it stays healthy.

The bullpen, on the other hand, seems to be a bit shorthanded at this point. I'd feel more comfortable if there were a few more solid arms there.

I don't really like the bench of Fields/Nix/Wise/Castro. I just don't get the sense that these guys could deliver the goods when they will be needed. I'd REALLY like a better-hitting 4th OF, so as to be able to spell Quentin, Dye, and Podsednik.