PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cowley on Score this morning

getonbckthr
07-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Did anyone hear it? I know Cowley isn't the most reliable source but according to my dad Cowley said don't be surprised to see Floyd and prospects to Arizona for Haren and that Dotel told him his agent heard rumblings of a 3 way deal where Dotel wold be traded somewhere, Cliff Lee comes here and many many other pieces obviously would have to be moved. I just have ask... WHAT!?

UofCSoxFan
07-25-2009, 11:15 AM
A staff of Buerhle, Harren, Lee, Danks, and Contreras. Count me in. I won't be holding my breath.

GoGoCrede
07-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Did anyone hear it? I know Cowley isn't the most reliable source but according to my dad Cowley said don't be surprised to see Floyd and prospects to Arizona for Haren and that Dotel told him his agent heard rumblings of a 3 way deal where Dotel wold be traded somewhere, Cliff Lee comes here and many many other pieces obviously would have to be moved. I just have ask... WHAT!?

:o::o::o::o: I'd like some of what Cowley is smoking. When has he ever been right when it comes to this stuff?

The Immigrant
07-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Joe Cowley is getting very good at promoting Joe Cowley.

soxyess
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
What would Ariz reason be for unloading Haren?

CHISOXFAN13
07-25-2009, 11:33 AM
What would Ariz reason be for unloading Haren?

Haren makes about 8 million more annually than Floyd.

soxyess
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Haren makes about 8 million more annually than Floyd.

Makes sense

Taliesinrk
07-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Cowley said it... Won't happen

Domeshot17
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
The Indians are not dumb enough to deal Lee within the division

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3902443

hawkjt
07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
I heard the interview and I am not convinced that Kenny will move Floyd for anyone. He is 6-0 in his last six decisions, and signed to a reasonable contract. He has argubly been our best pitcher the last month and a half.
Danks would be more likely to be moved,imo.

Haren would be good to get, but Lee is more realistic. If they can add someone without touching big three(MB,Gavin,Danks) or Beckham/Alexei...do it.

soxyess
07-25-2009, 11:42 AM
How does Haren compare to Floyd?

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I heard the interview and I am not convinced that Kenny will move Floyd for anyone. He is 6-0 in his last six decisions, and signed to a reasonable contract. He has argubly been our best pitcher the last month and a half.
Danks would be more likely to be moved,imo.

Haren would be good to get, but Lee is more realistic. If they can add someone without touching big three(MB,Gavin,Danks) or Beckham/Alexei...do it.
How would Lee be more realistic? The Indians aren't dealing him within the division.

http://tinyurl.com/lm9j9l

thedudeabides
07-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Joe Cowley is getting very good at promoting Joe Cowley.

:yup:
How would Lee be more realistic? The Indians aren't dealing him within the division.

http://tinyurl.com/lm9j9l

:rolling:

Noneck
07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Haren
4 years/$44.75M (2009-12), plus 2013 club option$15.5M ($3.5M buyout)

Floyd

4 years/$15.5M (2009-12), plus 2013 club option $9.5M

soxyess
07-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Haren
4 years/$44.75M (2009-12), plus 2013 club option$15.5M ($3.5M buyout)

Floyd

4 years/$15.5M (2009-12), plus 2013 club option $9.5M

What about stuff? I dont watch national league baseball. What does Haren throw? Is he a ground ball pitcher?

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2009, 12:48 PM
What about stuff? I dont watch national league baseball. What does Haren throw? Is he a ground ball pitcher?
Do you have the internet?

Plus Haren got his name pitching in the AL.

GoGoCrede
07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I still remember last December's Homer Bailey fiasco. On his Twitter, Cowley wrote something to the effect of, "Homer Bailey is coming to the South side." Then five minutes later he wrote, "Don't order your Bailey jerseys just yet."

Noneck
07-25-2009, 01:33 PM

I am sure what I told you is all that matters.

soxyess
07-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I am sure what I told you is all that matters.

True it is all about $$$$$$

hawkjt
07-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Heard Danks today say he is fine,did a sidetoss today and will start Monday vs Twins...yea.

Also heard Cowley later and he said really, not a whole lot of chance the sox will make any starting pitching trades. They feel that with

Burls,Danks,Gavin,Jose,Clayton,Bart,Torres and Freddy...they can get by.
8 starters enter....will 5 leave?

Bottom line, Sox need to get it done with what they have.

GoGoCrede
07-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Heard Danks today say he is fine,did a sidetoss today and will start Monday vs Twins...yea.

Also heard Cowley later and he said really, not a whole lot of chance the sox will make any starting pitching trades. They feel that with

Burls,Danks,Gavin,Jose,Clayton,Bart,Torres and Freddy...they can get by.
8 starters enter....will 5 leave?

Bottom line, Sox need to get it done with what they have.

Cowley gives me whiplash. Pick a story and stick with it.

WhiteSox1989
07-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Cowley gives me whiplash. Pick a story and stick with it.
Seriously.

Truthfully, I'm not expecting a starting pitcher, but at the same time I WILL be disappointed if they decide to stick with Colon/Richard/Garcia (???)--that's way to inconsistent. And leaves any game one of those guys pitches questionable. In a tight division race, Sox need to win those games.

soxyess
07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I know there have been examples of mediocre teams getting deep into the playoffs, but as presently constructed this team has been breaking hearts all season. You put a nice series together against a real good Rays team, and you look bad against a mediocre Tigers team. This type of team is hard pressed to go deep as situated. Id like to see a bat and a bullpen arm just to help.

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, this rumor is sounding Eklund-like!

LoveYourSuit
07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Haren >>>>>>>>>>>>> Gavin.

I would make the move in a heart beat.

Tragg
07-25-2009, 06:39 PM
How many wins does Haren give us over Floyd?
2 maybe for the rest of the year?

This endless sojurn for that "number one starter" doesn't seem like a wise use of our top prospects to me.

And find another trading partner, please.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2009, 06:44 PM
How many wins does Haren give us over Floyd?
2 maybe for the rest of the year?

This endless sojurn for that "number one starter" doesn't seem like a wise use of our top prospects to me.

And find another trading partner, please.
1. I don't know. It's not just about this year. Judging a trade by the final 10 starts in a pretty mediocre season seems pretty short-sighted, no?
2. Why put "number one starter" in quotes? Is Haren not good enough for you? He bests our entire staff, that's for sure.
3. Why not trade with AZ? Have they fleeced us at any point (other than Richar for Cunningham)? We got the best of them in the Vazquez deal, the Quentin deal, and I'll bet we'll break even on the Allen deal.

Chicago5oooh
07-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Moving above-average cheap pitchers for slightly better much more expensive pitchers does not seem like the greatest approach to running a team. I'm just sayin'. I would rather spend that extra money on the 'pen and a bat than 1 player every 5 days that gives you 2-4 more wins a year.

Tragg
07-25-2009, 07:08 PM
1. I don't know. It's not just about this year. Judging a trade by the final 10 starts in a pretty mediocre season seems pretty short-sighted, no?
No I don't, because deadline trades involve a premium in terms of prospect talent, in return for the immediate help toward a playoff appearance/WS. So you should get extra help for this season.

2. Why put "number one starter" in quotes? Is Haren not good enough for you? He bests our entire staff, that's for sure.

I put it in quotes because the idea that having a "number one starter" immediately brings great things is questionable; it had nothing to do with Haren's status as one.

3. Why not trade with AZ? Have they fleeced us at any point (other than Richar for Cunningham)? We got the best of them in the Vazquez deal, the Quentin deal, and I'll bet we'll break even on the Allen deal.
I've never had the feeling that Allen would be a great player....but my gauge isn't watching the player or looking at stats - it's the way the Sox have handled the player makes me think that they didn't see him as a major leaguer. (for the same reason, I was never on the Gio bandwagon - but I could be wrong).
More important than whether Allen is any good or not is what we got..and so far, not good. And if Pena could pitch decently, we sure could use it.
That said, if break even is our best-case 2 weeks after a deal, it's not a good deal.

TheOldRoman
07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
I would trade Gavin straight up for Haren in a heartbeat. If we have to throw in anything more than mediocre prospects, that deal doesn't really help us. Now, trading for Haren and a decent fifth starter? Yes please.

Konerko05
07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I would trade Gavin straight up for Haren in a heartbeat. If we have to throw in anything more than mediocre prospects, that deal doesn't really help us. Now, trading for Haren and a decent fifth starter? Yes please.

There is no way the D'Backs will trade Haren straight up for Gavin. I don't even think the D'Backs are considering trading Haren since he has one of the best contracts in baseball. The package would have to be insane.

Big D
07-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't get why the D-Backs would even trade Haren. He's still relatively young, and he has a great contract. Yeah, Arizona sucks this year, but they do have some nice young players like Justin Upton. It's possible that they could be contenders again in a year or two. It's not like they're screwed for the next five years, like Toronto is in the AL East.

Frater Perdurabo
07-25-2009, 08:08 PM
What about Floyd and prospects for both Haren and Garland? Maybe you get a lower price overall by taking on Garland's contract? And Garland would be fine as the #5 starter.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
What about Floyd and prospects for both Haren and Garland? Maybe you get a lower price overall by taking on Garland's contract? And Garland would be fine as the #5 starter.
Eh. No thanks. Garland sucks and would be inadequate.

No I don't, because deadline trades involve a premium in terms of prospect talent, in return for the immediate help toward a playoff appearance/WS. So you should get extra help for this season.

I put it in quotes because the idea that having a "number one starter" immediately brings great things is questionable; it had nothing to do with Haren's status as one.

I've never had the feeling that Allen would be a great player....but my gauge isn't watching the player or looking at stats - it's the way the Sox have handled the player makes me think that they didn't see him as a major leaguer. (for the same reason, I was never on the Gio bandwagon - but I could be wrong).
More important than whether Allen is any good or not is what we got..and so far, not good. And if Pena could pitch decently, we sure could use it.
That said, if break even is our best-case 2 weeks after a deal, it's not a good deal.
That's stupid. You can deal from a surplus and give up equal talent to receive something you have a dearth of. Other than Jon Link, how many MLB ready relief pitchers do we have? Now, do/did we have room for Allen? I doubt he could replicate Thome's production.

Frater Perdurabo
07-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Eh. No thanks. Garland sucks and would be inadequate.

He eats innings and knows how to pitch at the Cell. He would be an upgrade over Richard/Colon.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2009, 08:18 PM
He eats innings and knows how to pitch at the Cell. He would be an upgrade over Richard/Colon.
Fair enough. I don't agree with any of that.

Tragg
07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
That's stupid. You can deal from a surplus and give up equal talent to receive something you have a dearth of. Other than Jon Link, how many MLB ready relief pitchers do we have? Now, do/did we have room for Allen? I doubt he could replicate Thome's production.

Speaking of stupid, you're ASSUMING we're getting quality relief help out of the deal. Have you seen it yet?

Who do you have in mind to replace Thome's production? Because we're going to lose it mighty soon.

gosox41
07-25-2009, 09:49 PM

Here we go......

areilly
07-26-2009, 11:59 AM
PCP is one hell of drug, man. Hell of a drug.

hawkjt
07-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Rogers noted that Garland has 5 straight quality outings today in his column...now, I happen to think that Colon/Richard/Freddy/Torres are going to be as good as Garland,probably,but I would not squawk if Kenny picked up one of my favorites in Garland. His starts have been in the NL tho,so I am not sure how much it means.

MB,Jose,Freddy and Garland back as starters??...as MB said the other day..never say never in baseball. Look at Pods.