PDA

View Full Version : Who are your other favorite baseball team(s)?

Whitesoxfan23
07-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Besides our White Sox of course. Mine is Cardinals all the way. I also like the Braves quite a bit too. Nothing compares to the Sox of course, but the Cardinals are a very respectable team that I have been a fan of for awhile now. What is not to like about the Cardinals? Anyway, who are your favorite baseball team(s) other than our Sox?

VenturaFan23
07-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Mine are the Rays. Mainly because I have a man crush on Longoria ever since we went down to Montgomery, AL back in '07 when he was playing AA ball. Got his autograph and my fiance chatted with him a bit. Another big reason is that they are now competition for the Boston/NY evil empires, so how could you not root for them every year unless you work for espn? I just like the makeup of their team and they way they play.
Also, showing a lot class after Buehrle's game cemented for me why the are my other favorite team. The only problem is that **** for a stadium they play in.

SOXSINCE'70
07-25-2009, 06:54 AM
My favorite N.L. team is the Phillies.
I'm still mad at Charlie Manuel for pitching Junkball
Jamie Moyer against the club that drafted him on Wednesday.

The only time I can't root for the Phils is when they
play the White Sox.

doublem23
07-25-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm a huge Reds fan.

Until Monday.

Madscout
07-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm looking for a national league team, but to be honest, by following the White Sox, I can't really get into the NL style of play. The pitching is just not up to par, with many NL pitchers working around hitters most of the time, where our guys attack the zone and to mess around.

Viva Medias B's
07-25-2009, 07:19 AM
The St. Louis Cardinals are my main secondary team. I also like the Florida Marlins because our family used to have a home in South Florida. Ironically, there have been three occasions where a White Sox-Cardinals World Series just missed happening: 1964 (we fell short of AL Pennant), 1967 (see 1964), and 2005 (Cards lose NLCS to Astros).

Chez
07-25-2009, 07:24 AM
The other team I cheer for is whoever is playing the Cubs. Someone had to say it!

eastchicagosoxfan
07-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Cardinals, Phillies, and now that Bonds is finally gone, the Giants again.

WSox597
07-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Cardinals, no contest.

If the White Sox would have left town back when it was threatened, I would have rooted for the Cardinals.

The "other team" is not an option.

white sox bill
07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Brew Crew is my first choice.

When I lived in So Cal. I followed the Angels, as they were the equivalent of the Sox in the LA market

palehozenychicty
07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
I know that I have to choose between the Mets and Phillies, but can't right now. They always have interesting players. :tongue:

TornLabrum
07-25-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't pay much attention to any team other than the Sox and whomever they are playing today. However, since I've been a Kane County Cougars fan since the beginning, I devote a little more time to following the A's than other teams, and since I've known Dave Willls that long, I pay a little attention to the Rays, especially to check out Dave's broadcasts. But root for them? Nope.

soxpride724
07-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Cards
Brewers
Nationals (Don't ask)
Dodgers

As the Sox are my #1 team, I don't pull for any other American League team.

LongLiveFisk
07-25-2009, 09:55 AM
There are a couple of NL teams I like: Cards & Phillies mainly and the Braves a little as well.

For AL, I sort of like the Orioles because I always did like Cal Ripken growing up. Don't hate me for this either but at one time I was a Red Sox fan. But the whole thing with the Cubs fans gravitating towards them has really tarnished it for me a bit, along with the fact that a lot of WSI'ers despise them. I have a great Red Sox Fisk #27 jersey I would like to wear sometimes but the above stops me. I really don't want to be mistaken for a misguided Cubs fan or get harrassed by White Sox fans who don't actually know me and know that I am a White Sox fan first and foremost. :redface:

SOXfnNlansing
07-25-2009, 10:29 AM
I've always liked 4 other teams: Cardinals, Tigers, Royals, and the A's. For me, it's more of the history that I like. I guess I can say 'historically speaking' that I respect the original 16 teams. Even the team to the north deserves some sort of respect from me because of baseball history. That being said though, I only like watching Sox and Cardinal games on tv or in person. I have no desire to watch a Royal game, Tigers game, or an A's game on tv, but I grew up with those teams being my favorites.

07-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Padres and Giants. I picked up the local teams where I have lived.

GoGoCrede
07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I really enjoy the Diamondbacks, though I don't follow them as closely as I should. My best friend's dad got married wearing a full Diamondbacks uniform. :D::gulp:

soltrain21
07-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I was 9 when the Marlins first came into the league and I really liked their logo - so I've followed them since.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Cardinals, Phillies, and now that Bonds is finally gone, the Giants again.

I definitely agree with you there. I have family in the bay area and those teams have always been my second favorite (i.e. Giants and 49ers). The Giants have a great stadium, too. I also tend to root for the Rays because I like Maddon and I really like how they have been competing against the Yankees/Red Sox. But, when they play the Sox, I want them to choke, of course!

Edit: I also enjoy rooting for the Cardinals, but only because they are the Cubs rivals.

MarkZ35
07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Brewers because they are close enough for me to make it up there for a few games a year. They've also been exciting to watch the last few years.

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Cardinals and whomever the Cubs are playing

manders_01
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Rockies. If the Sox aren't on TV, my typical set up is to have them on the computer with the sound on and the Rockies on TV on mute. If the Sox are on TV, I check the Rockies score during commercials until the Sox game ends. I usually get pretty lucky with the Sox having earlier start times. Granted, that's if I'm not at the game. I love baseball, I like the Rockies and they make going to the ballpark affordable so I try to go once a home stand. It helps that I live half a mile from the park and walk there. :thumbsup:

october23sp
07-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Phillies
Giants
Pirates

soxnut1018
07-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Cardinals
Diamondbacks
Rays
Giants (Since they acquired Rowand and Uribe)

Rockabilly
07-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Yankees because I loved their tradition as a kid.. Also a huge fan of Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Joey D, and Billy Martin

russ99
07-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Astros are my #2, since 1979.

I also like San Francisco, Philly and Oakland when they don't play the Sox.

Most Hated Teams:
Yankees
Mets
Twins
Cubs

Red Sox have been edging their way on this list, more due to their idiotic fans, than the good, well-run team they are.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Marlins
Rays(despite B.J. Upton)

MARTINMVP
07-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I laughed out loud at the comment above to the person liking the Marlins logo.... I loved the St. Louis red color and their logo (the STL font) growing up, even when I used to like the Cubs.

The White Sox are my team as an adult, but I do like the Cards now, and I do like the Yankees, basically based off their tradition.

BleacherBandit
07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I only have one favorite baseball team.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2009, 01:36 AM
When I went to school in New York I got turned onto the Mets by some of my friends who are Mets fans. Since then I've always thought there was a natural connection between Mets fans and Sox fans.

SoxNation05
07-26-2009, 02:27 AM
1. Dogders
2. Brewers
3. Cards
4. Phillies
5. D-backs

I like a lot of teams over there.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Phillies, Jays, Rays and Astros

chisox616
07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Cardinals. I've almost officially lived in Missouri longer than I have in Illinois (from 5th grade till Junior year in college). Every other part of our family lives in Chicago, so I maintain links to the Sox and see the occasional game, but being around the Cards for so long and their success tends to rub off on you. Once my dad started pulling for them, I knew I would too.

I've definitely been to more Cards games this year than Sox games and they're a ton of fun. It's annoying how they have to play some boring teams quite often though. Their games are on where I work and I can actually watch every single game--I'm lucky to see 2 or 3 Sox games a week due to a crappy internet connection.

Sox are still #1 but the Cardinals aren't as distant of a #2 as they used to be. I'm not too surprised to see so many people are choosing the Cardinals, but is it just because they're the Cubs main rival?

Also, Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum are my favorite non-Sox/Cards players, hands down.

Railsplitter
07-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Brewers

I want Mags back
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
What is not to like about the Cardinals?
Their arrogant fans.

samurai_sox
07-26-2009, 02:04 PM
My adopted NL team are the LA Dodgers, but I'm only a casual fan of theirs at the most. Another team that I've always liked are The Seattle Mariners.

MARTINMVP
07-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Watching the Cards game on TBS now... my goodness I never realized how annoying Chip Carray is, I guess because I had gotten so used to him... or maybe Steve Stone made him tolerable.

Huisj
07-26-2009, 02:19 PM
I kind of have an odd interest in the Tigers. I kind of want them to lose as division rivals, but at the same time, having lived in Michigan for my whole life, it's nice when they do well because it brings the interest level for baseball way up among a lot of my friends, and that's fun.

I also sort of find myself following the Blue Jays some as some of their prospects who pass through the Lansing Lugnuts gradually make their way to the big leagues. I watched a lot of games here the summer that Travis Snider played here, so I'm interested to see how he progresses.

TommyJohn
07-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Their arrogant fans.

Seconded. Their treatment of Don Denkinger's family alone makes me want to throw up.

sullythered
07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Marlins and Phillies. I would like to cheer for the Cardinals, but their fan base is a little too creepy.

Whappeh
07-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Marilins, due to location. Can't root for another AL team.

Whitesoxfan23
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Their arrogant fans.

How are we "arrogant"?

Red Barchetta
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
The St. Louis Cardinals are my main secondary team. I also like the Florida Marlins because our family used to have a home in South Florida. Ironically, there have been three occasions where a White Sox-Cardinals World Series just missed happening: 1964 (we fell short of AL Pennant), 1967 (see 1964), and 2005 (Cards lose NLCS to Astros).

I was hoping for the Cards as well in 2005. They are the Yankees of the National League in terms of World Series Championships as they are second overall. Also, the sheer agony of a Sox-Cardinals World Series on Cubs fans would be pure joy!

Red Barchetta
07-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Cardinals. I've almost officially lived in Missouri longer than I have in Illinois (from 5th grade till Junior year in college). Every other part of our family lives in Chicago, so I maintain links to the Sox and see the occasional game, but being around the Cards for so long and their success tends to rub off on you. Once my dad started pulling for them, I knew I would too.

I've definitely been to more Cards games this year than Sox games and they're a ton of fun. It's annoying how they have to play some boring teams quite often though. Their games are on where I work and I can actually watch every single game--I'm lucky to see 2 or 3 Sox games a week due to a crappy internet connection.

Sox are still #1 but the Cardinals aren't as distant of a #2 as they used to be. I'm not too surprised to see so many people are choosing the Cardinals, but is it just because they're the Cubs main rival?

Also, Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum are my favorite non-Sox/Cards players, hands down.

I like the current Cardinals, however I did not like their early 80s style of play when they had Herzog managing and guys like Vince Coleman playing. I remember they used to chop the ball down on the astroturf at old Busch stadium for hits. I like small ball as much as the next guy, but I hated those "turf hits".

illini81887
07-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Either Dodgers or Brewers

MeteorsSox4367
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
My favorite teams on a daily basis are those playing the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox. I actually used to like Boston before ESPN force-fed them to us.

National League:

Pirates: Why? Maybe because I like hitting myself in the head with a shovel. Always liked them when I was a kid, PNC is beautiful, I root for all teams Pittsburgh.

Nationals: Again, why? Like Zimmerman, liked the Expos, like their tribute to the Senators with the curly 'W' caps.

Cardinals: Tradition, like the city, love when they beat the Cubs.

Brewers: Always have, always will. Loved County Stadium, enjoy Miller Park.

Padres, Giants: Something about California teams. San Diego is gorgeous and I have to get to San Francisco someday.

Reds: First NL team I saw at Wrigley (Big Red Machine in 1975).

American League:

Royals: I know they were the Sox' rival in the old AL West, but George Brett was arguably my favorite non-Sox player as a kid.

Orioles: Huge Ripken fan, cousin who rooted for them in the early 70s helped me like the O's, Camden Yards is gorgeous.

Angels: Like the Padres and Giants, just something about California teams.

Rays: Nice young talent, Dave Wills is a really good guy.

Jays: Just wish they would get the color blue back into their unis.

TDog
07-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I really only care about the White Sox. When I was living in the spring training home of the Padres, I became a Padres fan, which was easy because they play in a different league and because I got to attend a World Series game after they beat the Cubs in the 1984 NLCS. It doesn't seem like a quarter of a century ago. I like the Giants, but I rarely go to Giants games when they aren't playing the White Sox.

Mostly it isn't a matter of teams I like. It's about teams I hate. I hate the A's most of all, as probably anyone who followed the Sox in the old AL West days probably does. I hate the Yankees on principle, although I don't remember the pre-1965 basis for the rivalry many here have. The Red Sox once were the anti-Yankees, but that has changed.

I really hate the Twins, of course. I really hate the Rays. I hate the Tigers and Indians almost as much. I even hate the Royals. After living 900 miles north of Seattle I don't hate the Mariners as used to. They were so bad in those years, when the only baseball I could get on the radio was the Sunday afternoon Mariners game. It seemed cruel to hate them -- until the local morning DJ on the radio station I used to listen to by default would discuss his joy with the White Sox losing. I still don't hate them as much as the Angels or Rangers.

I dislike the Blue Jays and Orioles. No, I probably hate them, too.

If something happened and there were no White Sox, I would become a Giants fan and hate the American League, and maybe even the DH.

soxjim
07-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Cardinals and Brewers.

TomBradley72
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Brewers: Lived in Milwaukee for a few years, actually live 1 mile closer to Miller Park than The Cell.

Giants: Lived in San Francisco for a few years, including 2002 World Series, favorite ballpark, great fans.

gobears1987
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Brewers

monkeypants
07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Pirates

Expos

I sure know how to pick them don't I?

SoxFan1979
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
El Paso Diablos :smile: - My second home!

New York Yankees - I'm a fan of the history and Jeter.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-27-2009, 07:33 AM
I actually used to like Boston before ESPN force-fed them to us.

Same here about Boston. Also since they won it their fans have been Cub level obnoxious.

I like the Brewers, fun to watch and Miller Park is great tho I'd still rather watch a game at the Cell. Some weird sightlines up there. Most of the Brewer fans I've met are pretty knowledgeable as well.

I always root for the Dodgers because I idolized Sandy Koufax as a kid.

I like the Mets because I remember their early years and the first time they won. They are the NY equivalent of the Sox.

I've always had a soft spot for Baltimore because of Brooks Robinson.

SephClone89
05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Can't really like another AL team (though the Mariners and Royals don't offend me), but in the NL I like the Giants and Brewers. Pirates aren't awful, either.

Bruizer
05-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I grew up in Seattle, so I was a Mariner's fan from day 1 in 1977. Even rooted for them against the White Sox in 2000. Since 2001, I've favored the Sox over the Mariners (and loved the sweep two weeks ago!) If the Sox aren't going anywhere, I'll still go to their games and root for them, but I'll be scoreboard watching the Mariners.

ernie14
05-20-2010, 07:02 PM
New York Mets ! Love them!

I will only root against them if they meet us in the W.S.

:rolleyes:

harwar
05-20-2010, 07:17 PM
whenever the White Sox totally fall out of contention, i usually pick a team to follow the rest of the year .. i continue to watch every Sox game but but i know they won't make the post season .. right now i'm leaning toward the Giants or maybe the Padres

PKalltheway
05-20-2010, 07:17 PM
For me, it would be the Reds since I live in Cincinnati. I also don't mind the Pirates or the Blue Jays.

asindc
05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
The Washington Nationals.

GoGoCrede
05-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Dodgers and Diamondbacks.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Rays
Cardinals