PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle: 2nd most impressive perfect game ever

BlackHat91
07-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Per the Wall Street Journal. Based on opposing team OBP.

Pitcher/Team/Year Opponent/Oppenent OBP
Charlie Robertson/CWS/1922 DET/.373
Mark Buehrle/CWS/2009 TBR/.350
Randy Johnson/ARZ/2004 ATL/.343
Don Larsen/NYY/1956 BRO/.342

That make's yesterdays game all the more impressive! Loving the fact that two CWS pitchers are on top of that list!

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Good to see the top two are White Sox performances.

Get this: Chicago White Sox--When we throw perfect games, they're the most impressive

TornLabrum
07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Somehow I find throwing a perfect game in the World Series against a Dodgers team that included the likes of Snider, Furillo, Campanella, Hodges, and Robinson a little more impressive than the stats show.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Also taking in to account:

- This current era in baseball which still has offensive numbers off the charts
- The #1 hitters' park in the AL
- Defending AL Champs
- Team with the second highest OPS in the AL
- A guy who doesn't top 89 mph.
- The mediocre gloves playing behind him

Unreal.

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Somehow I find throwing a perfect game in the World Series against a Dodgers team that included the likes of Snider, Furillo, Campanella, Hodges, and Robinson a little more impressive than the stats show.

And he was a journeyman pitcher. I don't know if that makes it any more impressive, given your talent probably shouldn't become a factor, but I still find it amazing. One in a million.

LongLiveFisk
07-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Get this: Chicago White Sox--When we throw perfect games, they're the most impressive

Or this: White Sox baseball: If we're not perfect, then NOBODY is. :cool:

ode to veeck
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
someone on espn last night said it was the most potent offense to get perfected on in terms of run producing, e.g. the Rays were 3rd in MLB in that dept at the time.

That said the WS perfecto still has to stand out in many regards.

ode to veeck
07-24-2009, 11:16 PM
funny thing about Robertson's it was like only his 4th start in a very nondescript career, only 49 Ws total as he suffered arm problems after the perfecto

no one pitched another in the majors until Don Larson's WS gem 34 years later

4 points
07-25-2009, 04:32 AM

I Concur.:gulp:

Paulwny
07-25-2009, 11:10 AM

And he was a journeyman pitcher. I don't know if that makes it any more impressive, given your talent probably shouldn't become a factor, but I still find it amazing. One in a million.

... and possibly having a hang-over from the night before.

TDog
07-25-2009, 11:33 AM

I thought the same thing.

I read an account once of Robertson's six strikeout perfect game, though, and it gave me more respect for what he accomplished. The Tigers lineup featured future Hall of Famers Ty Cobb and Harry Heilmann (one of the reason the on-base percentage for the lineup was so high), and the fans in Detroit were ugly.

Off-topic, but Ken Harrelson would have had fun with the 1922 White Sox, even though they weren't a very good team. Their leadoff hitter was named Mulligan.

4 points
07-27-2009, 05:06 AM

I`d say a lot more impressive, I love Mark, but c`mon.:scratch:

Boondock Saint
07-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Also taking in to account:

- This current era in baseball which still has offensive numbers off the charts
- The #1 hitters' park in the AL
- Defending AL Champs
- Team with the second highest OPS in the AL
- A guy who doesn't top 89 mph.
- The mediocre gloves playing behind him

Unreal.

Exactly. Buehrle had just about everything working against him that day, and he still got it done, and in impressive fashion. Also, other than the Wise catch in the 9th, there wasn't really a single other ball hit into play that made you think, "Ah crap, there it went."

But on the other hand, a perfect game is a perfect game, and it's a bit silly to compare them. In my opinion, no one perfect game is more impressive or dominant than any other, and any pitcher that throws one is on the same level as every other pitcher that has thrown one for that day. You can't have less people reach base, you know?

ode to veeck
07-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Also, other than the Wise catch in the 9th, there wasn't really a single other ball hit into play that made you think, "Ah crap, there it went."

there was the ripper down the line past Gordon that was inches foul; good thing blue was right on top of the play to make the call

soxfanreggie
07-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for sharing, great to see that we're the best at being perfect! :D:

jabrch
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM
I think this is the definition of splitting hairs...

BeeBeeRichard
07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
... and the fans in Detroit were ugly.

Some things never change

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2005/kid_rock_050619_ae_275.jpg

jdm2662
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM
I think this is the definition of splitting hairs...

Leave it to the media do it. A perfect game is a perfect game. They are all just as impressive. I was rather pissed off that Mark is being compared to Greg Maddux. Comparing anyone to Greg Maddux is an insult to Greg Maddux. Hell, they don't even throw with the same arm. I also got annoyed by Wood's 20 K game. They were both impressive performances. Why can't people just leave it at that?

A no-hitter can be a different story. Most people, including his own team, joked that Joe Cowley's no-hitter wasn't quite impressive. He walked like seven guys and threw 50% of his pitches for balls. No wonder why he gave up no hits. He didn't throw many strikes. :redneck

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
The Wall Street Journal?? Are subscriptions that low they started a sports section or were they numbers crunching to numbers crunch?

OmarLittle
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
i had an argument with an idiot at work today who told me its harder to throw a perfect game than it is to strike out 20 batters in one game.

07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
i had an argument with an idiot at work today who told me its harder to throw a perfect game than it is to strike out 20 batters in one game.

There's your first mistake.

SoxFan1979
07-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Without a doubt. I mean it's the freaking WS!

slavko
07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
funny thing about Robertson's it was like only his 4th start in a very nondescript career, only 49 Ws total as he suffered arm problems after the perfecto

no one pitched another in the majors until Don Larson's WS gem 34 years later

That's what impresses me the most about all this. The 34 year gap. Anyone guess why? I can't. I think there was a game considered a perfect game at one time, but later decertified. Babe Ruth was the SP for Boston, walked the first batter, was ejected for arguing and his replacement pitched a 26 batter game with the base runner caught stealing. Don't even know the guy's name.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
It is when the guy throwing the perfect game was facing one of the best offenses in baseball while the 20 K guy is facing one of the worst offenses in baseball.

vinny
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
That's what impresses me the most about all this. The 34 year gap. Anyone guess why? I can't. I think there was a game considered a perfect game at one time, but later decertified. Babe Ruth was the SP for Boston, walked the first batter, was ejected for arguing and his replacement pitched a 26 batter game with the base runner caught stealing. Don't even know the guy's name.Ernie Shore. But the game was in 1917, before Robertson's perfecto.

There was Harvey Haddix's 12-inning perfecto for the Pirates against the Milwaukee Braves in 1959. And he just had two pitches. And Milwaukee had stolen the signs. The Pirates had twelve hits but couldn't manage to score a run. Sounds like the Sox earlier this season.

BTW, Billy Pierce had a perfecto going for the Sox in 1958 against the Senators but lost it on the 27th batter.

DSpivack
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
That's what impresses me the most about all this. The 34 year gap. Anyone guess why? I can't. I think there was a game considered a perfect game at one time, but later decertified. Babe Ruth was the SP for Boston, walked the first batter, was ejected for arguing and his replacement pitched a 26 batter game with the base runner caught stealing. Don't even know the guy's name.

Well, the 30s did see the most offense-laden era in the history of baseball. Other than that, nothing else comes to my mind.

ode to veeck
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM

that would be a no hitter

Burhle actually faced the minimum in his no hitter as well

TornLabrum
07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
BTW, Billy Pierce had a perfecto going for the Sox in 1958 against the Senators but lost it on the 27th batter.

I'll never forgive Ed FitzGerald for that.

doublem23
07-28-2009, 12:00 AM

If you think baseball is an offensive game now, you need to go back and look at some stats from the 1920s and 1930s, it is eye-popping how out of control things got.

Plus, more teams = more games, plus the season is slightly longer. In 2009, there will be 2,460 games played. Until the expansion in 1962, there were only 1,232 games each season.

johnnyg83
07-28-2009, 12:31 AM
If you think baseball is an offensive game now, you need to go back and look at some stats from the 1920s and 1930s, it is eye-popping how out of control things got.

Plus, more teams = more games, plus the season is slightly longer. In 2009, there will be 2,460 games played. Until the expansion in 1962, there were only 1,232 games each season.

Interesting. How so? Average/Runs scored wise?

TDog
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Interesting. How so? Average/Runs scored wise?

Hitting peaked in the 1930s, perhaps not coincidentally during the Great Depression, when some teams nearly went out of business. In 1930, the National League hit .303 as a league. The Phillies finished 50 games below .500 with a team batting average of .315. In games played at their home park, the Phillies and their opponents combined for a batting average of .351. Overall batting averages in four of the eight parks exceeded .300.

That year, NL rightfielders averaged .347. The only positions to hit for an average less than .290 were pinch-hitters at .278 and pitchers at .214. This was about the time that a National League owner was trying to institute the designated hitter in baseball, but the idea died when American League owners were cold to it.

Before 1920, when the regulation baseball wasn't wound as tightly and games were often played with one ball no matter how dirty (throw the ball back, kid; we've got a game to play), the emphasis was on speed and defense. Generally, if you couldn't play a position, it didn't matter how well you could hit. After 1920, teams started finding room for men who could hit and do little else. Better hitters were coming into the league and weaker defenses weren't holding them back.

Hitters also concentrated on making contact. In the NL in 1930, no one struck out 100 times, of course they only played 154 games. Hack Wilson hit 54 home runs, a long-standing NL record, but he only struck out 84 times, a dozen more times than anyone else. In the American League, Jimmy Foxx, who hit 37 home runs, was tied for the league lead in strikeouts with 66.

Nowadays you have leadoff hitters striking out 120 times.