PDA

View Full Version : Alleged Bad PR Again

Viva Magglio
06-05-2002, 07:47 AM
Overnight, someone claiming to be a disgrunted White Sox fan called up Tommy Williams. Mark from Naperville claimed that while he and his buddies were listening to "Rain Delay Theater," Dave Wills or someone at about 8:00 encouraged fans to come out to the ballpark. These people said they got to the ballpark from Naperville at about 9:00 and were turned away. The caller claimed the ticket office had closed for the night. He went on to describe having a hard time getting the $13 parking fee back after being turned away and went on to renounce his White Sox faith.

I don't know if this is true or something made up as part of a smear campaign, but this is yet another PR embarrassment that will be exploited. It would be treated as if 40,000 people tried to get into the ballpark and were turned away. In fact, Cub fan Mike Murphy at this time is doing that that (with Sox fan Fred Huebner presumable ready to strangle Murph, even though he agrees that the Sox probalby erred).

duke of dorwood
06-05-2002, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure I believe this one. People were probably leaving the whole rain delay-cant believe the actual people that take the $ at the lot entrances were still out there 2 hours late

steff
06-05-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Overnight, someone claiming to be a disgrunted White Sox fan called up Tommy Williams. Mark from Naperville claimed that while he and his buddies were listening to "Rain Delay Theater," Dave Wills or someone at about 8:00 encouraged fans to come out to the ballpark. These people said they got to the ballpark from Naperville at about 9:00 and were turned away. The caller claimed the ticket office had closed for the night. He went on to describe having a hard time getting the $13 parking fee back after being turned away and went on to renounce his White Sox faith.

I don't know if this is true or something made up as part of a smear campaign, but this is yet another PR embarrassment that will be exploited. It would be treated as if 40,000 people tried to get into the ballpark and were turned away. In fact, Cub fan Mike Murphy at this time is doing that that (with Sox fan Fred Huebner presumable ready to strangle Murph, even though he agrees that the Sox probalby erred).

This is complete BS... We were in the bar until 8:45. Before we went to our seats we asked if we could run to the car to get the umbrella and they let us. All the windows that were opened when we got there at 6 were still open and cars were still coming into the lot. Even at 9:30 people were still coming to seats around ours.

steff
06-05-2002, 08:48 AM
And another thing.. the parking people were in the bar drinking at 8pm laughing that they weren't standing out in that rain... There were probably many who didn't pay at all last night.

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 10:36 AM

I was having a caffeine-induced insomnia bout last night and I heard the call live. From the irritation in the guy's voice and the detail given I am 100% convinced he was telling the truth. As I remember it he said they got there about 9:10 or 9:15 and was told by the parking lot guy that the box office had stayed open late. When they finally got there none were open and he was told that they had closed at 9. Then the whole brou-ha-ha with the parking began and they eventually left short their $13 as well.

The other posts that cite people coming to their seats and whatnot on a rainy night and whatever--so what? People hang around the concourse and putz around even when the weather is good so why that wouldn't occur on a rainy night I don't know.

Probably the thing that amazes me about this instance--and like I said, I believe the guy was legit and recounting his experience--is the Gallas-esque flavor of the whole matter. Given the situation--rainy night, big rain delay, small crowd, closedd box office--you might think the gracious thing would be just to say "Aw, what the hey, c'mon in" or have some person in a supervisory role authorize tickets or somesuch. Just no sense of customer relations here--a little bit of kindness carries a long way.

As for the immediate credence that is given by some folks of a far-flung conspiracy that has insidious Cubbie-blue agents calling up radio stations at 1:30 in the morning to cook up stories that defame Comiskey Park......seen any black helicopters lately?

Spiff
06-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

I was having a caffeine-induced insomnia bout last night and I heard the call live. From the irritation in the guy's voice and the detail given I am 100% convinced he was telling the truth. As I remember it he said they got there about 9:10 or 9:15 and was told by the parking lot guy that the box office had stayed open late. When they finally got there none were open and he was told that they had closed at 9. Then the whole brou-ha-ha with the parking began and they eventually left short their $13 as well.

The other posts that cite people coming to their seats and whatnot on a rainy night and whatever--so what? People hang around the concourse and putz around even when the weather is good so why that wouldn't occur on a rainy night I don't know.

Probably the thing that amazes me about this instance--and like I said, I believe the guy was legit and recounting his experience--is the Gallas-esque flavor of the whole matter. Given the situation--rainy night, big rain delay, small crowd, closedd box office--you might think the gracious thing would be just to say "Aw, what the hey, c'mon in" or have some person in a supervisory role authorize tickets or somesuch. Just no sense of customer relations here--a little bit of kindness carries a long way.

As for the immediate credence that is given by some folks of a far-flung conspiracy that has insidious Cubbie-blue agents calling up radio stations at 1:30 in the morning to cook up stories that defame Comiskey Park......seen any black helicopters lately?

It was you wasn't it! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/scared.gif

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Spiff

It was you wasn't it! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/scared.gif

No, it wasn't me calling in...but if you mean the black helicopters....expect men in black sedans at your door within the hour!!

ChiSoxBobette
06-05-2002, 10:56 AM
I personally think TW (another sCrub lover on whore radio)
puts his faithful sCrub fans up to this crap - I also heard the re-play of what supposedly happened last night, were those idiots wearing their sCrub jerseys, what kinda of idiot would drive 40 miles from Naperville down to Sox park knowing that there is a possiblity that for one thing the game could be rained out and another to drive that far that late and have to drive back - No Way did that yuppie scum sound like he would be doing that - when I heard Wills telling everyone to come on down to the park it was approx. 7:00/7:30pm Wills also said that they might keep the ticket windows open later due to the game starting so late he never said that the Sox organaztion had told him that and another thing the bonehead who was all pissed off said they made it down to the park at 9:20pm 20 minutes later that he told Ole TW he heard the ticket windows would be open until , My wife & I have weekend season tickets and I have bought tickets for this year to weekday games also and I have never had any problems with the people working the parking lots, ticket windows, concession stands as a matter of fact last year when I tryed to by a seven game ticket plan the person I was dealing with through the White Sox ticket office in all probability forgot to send out my order form I ended up buying single game tickets through the White Sox site the day they went on sale I then e-mailed the White Sox front office and advised them what happened and they e-mailed back apologizing and then they sent me 4 lower box seat ticket passes which my wife and I used for 2 different games. It always seems that good ole TW gets these disgruntled (supposed)White Sox fans who call in to him complaining about everything the Sox people do. Like I said it was probably a bogus call or TW trying to score points with the wgn jr. management somewhat like his buddy during the day , whats his name flappy, tappy, wappy, whatever :gulp: :gulp: , Like I said before about the whore radio station they have a sports talk person thats a sCrub fan and another thats supposed to be a White Sox fan well the guy who was on this morning I forget his name the supposed White Sox fan did'nt even watch the game he was watching the sCrub game & soccer yeah great Sox fan!
Go White Sox
ps listen to McNeil , Yurko & Harry
at the very least maybe McNeil will beat the piss out of that sCrub fan Harry

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 10:57 AM

You know, it's just this kind of stuff that embarrasses me as a Sox Fan. Lord knows I rip on idiotic Cubs fans for fitting the stereotype of clueless anti-fans. But when I read about stuff like this, I'm afraid we're guilty of fitting the whiney stereotype others accuse us of, too.

Obviously the fans should have been allowed in the park. Calling a radio show to swear off the team is another matter.

Can't the radio call-in shows use some sort of "moron filter" before letting these people through? Of course that might eliminate 90 percent of the callers. :smile:

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

You know, it's just this kind of stuff that embarrasses me as a Sox Fan. Lord knows I rip on idiotic Cubs fans for fitting the stereotype of clueless anti-fans. But when I read about stuff like this, I'm afraid we're guilty of fitting the whiney stereotype others accuse us of, too.

Obviously the fans should have been allowed in the park. Calling a radio show to swear off the team is another matter.

Can't the radio call-in shows use some sort of "moron filter" before letting these people through? Of course that might eliminate 90 percent of the callers. :smile:

I don't know as this guy was really swearing off the Sox for good--he was obviously real frustrated and I wouldn't blame him after something like that to not be real keen on giving money to JR and KW for a while.

As to the moron filter...heck, how would the Score fill up its time slots?? :)

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 11:10 AM

As to the moron filter...heck, how would the Score fill up its time slots?? :)

I think we both know the answer to that question! :smile:

:ass
"Plenty more moronic opinions available here!"

Viva Magglio
06-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Mark from Naperville called North with his story. Predictably, North went into another anti-Sox rant. He said our PR staff should take come cues from the North Side, among other things.

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I think we both know the answer to that question! :smile:

:ass
"Plenty more moronic opinions available here!"

Yeah, an anti-moron filter would automatically shut off the mikes of most Score hosts as soon as they open their mouths :)

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Mark from Naperville called North with his story. Predictably, North went into another anti-Sox rant. He said our PR staff should take come cues from the North Side, among other things.

Sounds like "Mark from Naperville" is maybe becoming a little too mindful of his "celebrity status."

Nonetheless, despite North's goofy ravings, Sox PR would probably be well-advised to take a few tips from the Cubs on this particular thing (Please, please, don't let our baseball side of management do any studies of that outfit! Come to think of it--that would explain a lot over the last few years...). Whatever you wanna say about idiot Cub fans and the turista element that populates their cesspool of a ballpark, you don't hear the same litany of consumer abuse coming from the Cubs fans that has plagued the Sox for years.

steff
06-05-2002, 01:31 PM

I said that.. and the reason I know they JUST got there was because two of them tried to sit in OUR season seats (we have 4 and were obviously only using 2) and Jim said to them that they were ours. They then proceeded to strike up a conversation with Jim about how there was a traffic jam on the Dan Ryan and they just barely made it to the window to get a ticket because the guy at the wondow was closing up. This was at the start of the third inning. It was well after 9:30.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2002, 01:53 PM
Just out of curiousity, what have the Cubs done to improve their public relations over the past few seasons? I don't pay much attention to them, so I wouldn't know.

If that man was telling the truth, I hope someone in the Sox organization gives him free tickets or some other form of comphensation. One would think that with attendance low at Comiskey, fans showing up late would be welcome. It's not worth it to drive to the ballpark and be turned away, especially after "paying through the nose" just to get a parking space.

duke of dorwood
06-05-2002, 01:56 PM
I was told by a relative that frequents WSI that this guy called the mid day show on 670 again with the same story, and received the typical sympathy. I am more suspicious of this story than ever.

Kilroy
06-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Nonetheless, despite North's goofy ravings, Sox PR would probably be well-advised to take a few tips from the Cubs on this particular thing ...

Well, I could agree with that but not yet. At this point, we're only hearing one side of the story, and that's this boob from Naperville's side. How do we know what he said is entirely true?

For example, he could be leaving out the part about him being belligerent and drunk when he complained that the box office was closed. I know one thing, you don't get many favors in this town when you present yourself like an ass.

In any case, just more bad press for the Sox...

Foulke You
06-05-2002, 05:51 PM
While I can't confirm or deny what happened to that guy from Naperville. I can say that the Score always takes the ball and runs with these Sox calls. Where are the callers who have homes on Waveland ave. that are having their gardens hosed down with urine after the Cubs game? Do you think they're happy with the Cubs? How about a call from Wrigley neighbors who bitch about the new port o potties they put up in the neighborhood? These port-a-johns were tipped over by Wrigley drunks a couple weeks ago! :D:

The Score will never field these calls...my suspicious Sox-fan-o-meter has the needle buried in red...