PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-24 Bats flaccid; Sox walk in go-ahead run, lose Game 2 to Tigers

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Yuck.

soltrain21
07-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I think I enjoyed yesterday a tad bit more than I've enjoyed today.

WhiteSox1989
This sucks. I was basically ecstatic all day. Sox were tied for first.

And now this just put a damn damper on it.

**** poor offense tonight, boys.

JB98
Ehh....we're married to mediocrity this year.

SoxSpeed22
Testicles. That is all.

Domeshot17
We don't deserve to be in 1st place after tonight, that is just the truth. The offense pissed its pants to Verlander in game 1, then **** the bed in big spots in game 2, The bullpen was terrible as usual.

We knew we had this huge 4 game set coming up, we didn't prepare for it. What can you do, when Bartolo Colon is the 1 bright spot for a double header, you know you aren't leaving the day in first place.

october23sp
Fun while it lasted, but our offense is now dead. Our bullpen sucks, and we are wasting quality starts from our starters. How fun was it when everything clicked?

Thatguyoverthere
****ing pathetic! I know Linebrink sucked, but Thornton was brought in to get out of the jam, and he ****ing sucked too. Pathetic.

LoveYourSuit
Contreras and Colon pulled more than their weight in each of the games.

Offense is sleep walking again. :angry:

Shoeless_Jeff
In my opinion, that sucked.

#%@$ you, Linebrink!

Blueprint1
What a bunch of bums. I thought this crap was over with. I can't stand watching this type of baseball. Sting some hits together. Score some runs late in the games. Now were two games back again.

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 08:39 PM
When you have RISP and fail to drive them in or your name is Scott Linebrink and you pitch in a close game, this is bound to be the result.

GoGoCrede
I think I'll go watch the last out of Buehrle's game and pretend today didn't happen.

Chicken Dinner
Linebrink, Thorton, and Jenks use to be solid. Lately they suck!

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Meh..

Harry Potter
Well the mood (and team performance) sure did a 180 from yesterday.

Thanks offense. 4 runs in 18 innings? Pathetic. Bartolo deserved better.

Honorable mention to Ozzie for running a hit and run with Wise and trotting Linebrink out there for the 8th. What are you thinking?

Noneck
This makes tomorrow and Floyd a very big game.

hi im skot
Yesterday was awesome!!!!!!!11

guillensdisciple
I posted this earlier in the game day thread, but here it is for discussion.

The Tigers remind me so much of us from last year. They sucked the year before (ala us in 2007) and have a mediocre team that plays well at home and bad on the road (ala us last year). I am scared that the Tigers might follow in our footsteps, because that is what it has seemed like. Everything goes right for them at home, and they were reeling against the Mariners before this. The White Sox had this series in the bag. Now we have to pray that we can salvage it with a tie.

This series has Sox against Twins at the dome written all over it. We have enough to win, but we don't. We have to split this series to show that we are serious contenders in the central. If we get swept or lose another one, it will just show how mediocre of a team the Sox are.

If the Sox get swept, Kenny has to make a move. If we continue to struggle during this road trip Kenny has to make a move. This is all on Kenny, because we have the tools to win, but we might need a bigger one to go the whole way.

**** today has been such a downer after such a high.

ViPeRx007
The perfect game seemed like a year ago after this craptacular day.

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Frustrating is an understatement.

This ****ing sucks. We better show up tomorrow afternoon but if we're struggling to hit some guy named Bonine, good luck hitting Edwin Jackson.

LoveYourSuit
I think I'll go watch the last out of Buehrle's game and pretend today didn't happen.

I feel like it's going to be hard for this team to eclipse that moment this year. So yes, save that tape.

Unless we play far far into October.

SoxGirl4Life
I posted this earlier in the game day thread, but here it is for discussion.

The Tigers remind me so much of us from last year. They sucked the year before (ala us in 2007) and have a mediocre team that plays well at home and bad on the road (ala us last year). I am scared that the Tigers might follow in our footsteps, because that is what it has seemed like. Everything goes right for them at home, and they were reeling against the Mariners before this. The White Sox had this series in the bag. Now we have to pray that we can salvage it with a tie.

This series has Sox against Twins at the dome written all over it. We have enough to win, but we don't. We have to split this series to show that we are serious contenders in the central. If we get swept or lose another one, it will just show how mediocre of a team the Sox are.

If the Sox get swept, Kenny has to make a move. If we continue to struggle during this road trip Kenny has to make a move. This is all on Kenny, because we have the tools to win, but we might need a bigger one to go the whole way.

**** today has been such a downer after such a high.

I thought you had taken a vow to only be positive

october23sp
We need one 1 of 2 at the very least.

GoGoCrede

I have faith in #34. He usually owns the Tigers. Make it happen, Gavin!

JB98
07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Contreras and Colon pulled more than their weight in each of the games.

Offense is sleep walking again. :angry:

And those were the guys I was worried about most. They did OK.

hi im skot
I have faith in #34. He usually owns the Tigers. Make it happen, Gavin!

Can he hit, too?

Viva Medias B's
Right back where we started from.

guillensdisciple
Fun while it lasted, but our offense is now dead. Our bullpen sucks, and we are wasting quality starts from our starters. How fun was it when everything clicked?

Dude, it was one day of bad baseball. Calm down, the season is not over yet and I am sure a lot of it had to do with some late night drinking and over exhilaration from Mark's game. If the Sox spew the same crap the next two days, then I will be very worried.

Frater Perdurabo

Floyd usually pitches well against Detroit, right? Then again, both Contreras and Colon pitched well, too.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 08:43 PM
I feel like it's going to be hard for this team to eclipse that moment this year. So yes, save that tape.

Unless we play far far into October.

I don't know about you, man, but I'm sick of taking the players out for ice cream. Let's ditch 'em.

Can he hit, too?

Yes, and you should see him walk on water. :D:

edit - to answer another post, I believe Gavin is 6-0 against the Tigers this year.

guillensdisciple
07-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought you had taken a vow to only be positive

But but I didn't say we would lose, I was just saying that this series has an eerie feeling about it. Trust me, I am no where near crying over a loss, just a little disappointment.

Thanks for remembering though:D:.

07-24-2009, 08:45 PM

I have to agree. With a series for first place on the line, the question: Is this team going to finally step up? They have already provided me with the answer: No. Not hitting with RISP, bullpen not pitching well late in games, Oz making boneheaded moves; this team has not answered the bell. And until they do, don't expect to win the division this year.

Great pitching by Colon though. He came back with something to prove. Added velocity, improved accuracy, and using that curveball well too. He just has to follow through on the 0-2 pitches and not twist his whole body away and he'll put more hitters away.

SoxGirl4Life
But but I didn't say we would lose, I was just saying that this series has an eerie feeling about it. Trust me, I am no where near crying over a loss, just a little disappointment.

Thanks for remembering though:D:.

You earned off my ignore list. That doesn't happen that often!

LoveYourSuit
****ing pathetic! I know Linebrink sucked, but Thornton was brought in to get out of the jam, and he ****ing sucked too. Pathetic.

That's a bit over the top don't you think?

You expect him to come in and clean up Linebrinks **** piles all the time?

It's about time Linebrink's deceiving ERA takes a hit. He sucks.

Chicken Dinner
Floyd usually pitches well against Detroit, right? Then again, both Contreras and Colon pitched well, too.

Unfortunately not as well as their guys.

Viva Medias B's
07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Granted, I am not exactly the epitome of baseball intelligence, but can someone please explain to me why we keep sending Scott Linebrink out there?

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I liked it better when we owned the Tigers.

guillensdisciple
07-24-2009, 08:47 PM
You earned off my ignore list. That doesn't happen that often!

I had a feeling you were talking about me when you guys were referring to the ignore option.

Glad to hear that I have become a little more normal since then, and more glad to hear that you are willing to hear my opinion without me rubbing off as a whiny idiot.

JB98
I have to agree. With a series for first place on the line, the question: Is this team going to finally step up? They have already provided me with the answer: No. Not hitting with RISP, bullpen not pitching well late in games, Oz making boneheaded moves; this team has not answered the bell. And until they do, don't expect to win the division this year.

Great pitching by Colon though. He came back with something to prove. Added velocity, improved accuracy, and using that curveball well too. He just has to follow through on the 0-2 pitches and not twist his whole body away and he'll put more hitters away.

Probably not with consistency. A critical road trip is off to a very poor start. Now, they have to go into salvage mode. I was hoping 5-2 or 4-3. Now, I'm hoping for 3-4.

rdwj
That sucked

Frater Perdurabo
Granted, I am not exactly the epitome of baseball intelligence, but can someone please explain to me why we keep sending Scott Linebrink out there?

Because, as the Ozzpologists say, Ozzie can do no wrong.

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Cause we pay him big bucks to perform, and he's not!

JB98
07-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Got a better option? They are all struggling.

07-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Dude, it was one day of bad baseball. Calm down, the season is not over yet and I am sure a lot of it had to do with some late night drinking and over exhilaration from Mark's game. If the Sox spew the same crap the next two days, then I will be very worried.

If the Sox don't win one of the next two, the season will be over. With the schedule the rest of the way, this team cannot afford to be 4 GB heading into the DeathDome. Again, this team needs to step up and start winning these 1-2 division matchups. When was the last time the Sox did well in a series when first place was on the line post-ASG? 2000?

Frater Perdurabo

Hopefully that George Sherrill rumor is more than just a rumor.

SoxGirl4Life
I'm going to watch the Angels beat the Twins. That will make me feel a little better.

Mohoney
07-24-2009, 08:50 PM

I'll take Thornton as the 8th inning guy from now on, if Ozzie can finally pull the trigger.

I think Thornton with a fresh frame seems to be a better option at this point.

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm going to watch the Angels beat the Twins. That will make me feel a little better.

You go girl!

Jollyroger2
07-24-2009, 08:51 PM

That's what I said the other day, each time this team give me a reason to get excited, then they don't show up..classic .500 team BS. Very mediocre.

TomParrish79
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
we'll be fine keep the faith people

JB98
Hopefully that George Sherrill rumor is more than just a rumor.

I would be real surprised. The Sox already have a lot of money tied up in the bullpen. All these guys have gotten it done in the past.

I know people get pissed at me when I say keep running Linebrink out there. But he has to get it right for this team to win the division. So does Jenks. So does Thornton.

Actually, I think Thornton has been OK lately. Not up to his capabilities, but OK. We need him to step up a little bit, whereas Linebrink and Bobby need to step up a lot.

Thatguyoverthere
That's a bit over the top don't you think?

You expect him to come in and clean up Linebrinks **** piles all the time?

It's about time Linebrink's deceiving ERA takes a hit. He sucks.No I don't, but walking in the go-ahead run with the bases loaded is inexcusable, especially when it's Clete ****ing Thomas. You throw strikes and give up a hit, fine, but to walk him... :angry:

october23sp
Just depressing the day after the perfect game. Bullpen and Hitting need to get it together.

Probably not with consistency. A critical road trip is off to a very poor start. Now, they have to go into salvage mode. I was hoping 5-2 or 4-3. Now, I'm hoping for 3-4.

Exactly. But with #34 on the mound tomorrow, I like our chances. Problem is, I liked our chances in tonight's game too. I'm worried that the offense has reverted back to mid-May mode. Not the time to do that. I better see the full offense in the lineup tomorrow. That means no Wise and no Castro.

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
we'll be fine keep the faith people

Are you new here? :welcome:

07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
i'll take thornton as the 8th inning guy from now on, if ozzie can finally pull the trigger.

I think thornton with a fresh frame seems to be a better option at this point.

+1

JB98
07-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I'll take Thornton as the 8th inning guy from now on, if Ozzie can finally pull the trigger.

I think Thornton with a fresh frame seems to be a better option at this point.

Fair point.

To do that, though, I think they better add another lefty to the bullpen -- someone who can come in and retire a key left-handed hitter in the sixth or seventh.

Thornton's wife is due to have a baby July 31. He'll have to leave the team for a couple days, and we'll be left with no lefties.

Craig Grebeck
I sure am glad Ozzie chose to waste Octavio on a low-leverage situation in game one, assuring that we'd have to use either Linebrink or Pena as a RH set-up in game two.

Also still pumped Liney's here two more years!

Frater Perdurabo
I would be real surprised. The Sox already have a lot of money tied up in the bullpen. All these guys have gotten it done in the past.

I know people get pissed at me when I say keep running Linebrink out there. But he has to get it right for this team to win the division. So does Jenks. So does Thornton.

Actually, I think Thornton has been OK lately. Not up to his capabilities, but OK. We need him to step up a little bit, whereas Linebrink and Bobby need to step up a lot.

I agree on all counts. It's unlikely that the Sox would acquire another reliever, but it would be nice to upgrade the pen. You can never have too much good pitching.

JB98
Exactly. But with #34 on the mound tomorrow, I like our chances. Problem is, I liked our chances in tonight's game too. I'm worried that the offense has reverted back to mid-May mode. Not the time to do that. I better see the full offense in the lineup tomorrow. That means no Wise and no Castro.

I think you'll see Quentin and AJ both in there tomorrow. No Wise and no Castro.

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Well if we win the next two, we're right back where we started at noon today. That's one way of looking at it.

I think we'll win one of the next two but winning two is going to be very tough. Either way, the bats need to get with the program tomorrow.

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
If the Sox don't win one of the next two, the season will be over. With the schedule the rest of the way, this team cannot afford to be 4 GB heading into the DeathDome. Again, this team needs to step up and start winning these 1-2 division matchups. When was the last time the Sox did well in a series when first place was on the line post-ASG? 2000?
Really? I didn't know the regular season ended on July 31. Seriously, are you suggesting that if the Sox get swept in Detroit, they go into seller mode? You should know full well that's not going to happen. It's that time of year where people start to say there's a lot of baseball to be played. Yes, our upcoming schedule is though and that should be a concern, but no need to jump off a cliff yet. It'll take an 0-7 road trip for me to share your concerns. As far as the deadline in the 'pen goes, one more arm should be critical for us down the stretch.

Noneck
07-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Well if we win the next two, we're right back where we started at noon today. That's one way of looking at it.

I think we'll win one of the next two but winning two is going to be very tough. Either way, the bats need to get with the program tomorrow.

I will take one and be very happy with it at this point.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Just focus on tomorrow, win the game, and then go for the split on Sunday. A split would get us back into the virtual tie for first.

JB98
07-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I will take one and be very happy with it at this point.

Floyd will step up tomorrow.

Will the hitters?

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Just focus on tomorrow, win the game, and then go for the split on Sunday. A split would get us back into the virtual tie for first.

That's the attitude I'm taking right now.

07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Really? I didn't know the regular season ended on July 31. Seriously, are you suggesting that if the Sox get swept in Detroit, they go into seller mode? You should know full well that's not going to happen. It's that time of year where people start to say there's a lot of baseball to be played. Yes, our upcoming schedule is though and that should be a concern, but no need to jump off a cliff yet. It'll take an 0-7 road trip for me to share your concerns. As far as the deadline in the 'pen goes, one more arm should be critical for us down the stretch.

If the Sox get swept in Detroit, they will go 0-7 on this roadtrip. I do not see them winning the series in the Metrodome and 0-3 there would be extremely likely if we head in there with terrible momentum.

I don't want to see the Sox go into seller mode and I don't think they should. I'm just saying they have to get their act together and find a way to win 1 of the next 2 games or else this will spiral the team into a funk that they will never recover from.

SCCWS
Who wanted Linebrink and Thornton to close instead of Jenks.

ChicagoHoosier
Let's take our lumps, split the next two, and go into Minny with SOME momentum. We had our chances in both games, much moreso in the 2nd game. We had our big chance with guys on 2nd and 3rd and couldn't get it done. They had their chance and pushed a run in.

Speaking of which, hard to say what Thornton should have done once he got to 3-2. Wish he hadn't put himself in that spot, but once it's 3-2 and bases loaded, you can't throw TOO good of a pitch, can you? Otherwise, it's a base hit or double and you're done 2 or 3 instead of just 1. I never know what I expect our guy to do. Hopefully not get to three balls in the first place.

Mohoney
Fair point.

To do that, though, I think they better add another lefty to the bullpen -- someone who can come in and retire a key left-handed hitter in the sixth or seventh.

Thornton's wife is due to have a baby July 31. He'll have to leave the team for a couple days, and we'll be left with no lefties.

Maybe Poreda can start getting those chances when he gets back up, because right now, I would ideally like to limit Linebrink to 1 or 2 batter stints in the 6th and 7th innings until he can get some control back.

Like you said, we need Linebrink to get right, or at the very least contribute, in order to win this division. However, I don't think we can continue to use the 8th inning for his chances to turn it around. It might cost us too many games in a close division race.

tsoxman
But hey! How about that perfect game?

I think you'll see Quentin and AJ both in there tomorrow. No Wise and no Castro.

We better. Jackson is tough.

Domeshot17
07-24-2009, 09:03 PM
We dealt for our a big arm in the bullpen. We dealt a top 10 spec for Tony freaking Pena. He has to work out.

Linebrink HAS TO WORK OUT, he has a lot of years and money left on that deal.

Team needs a hitter big time, a starter most importantly, and the guys we have HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT. We aren't in a good spot to add another arm.

You want a situational lefty, you have a great one in Richard. Go get a starting pitcher, move Richard to the role he should be in, things can work themselves out

ChicagoHoosier
07-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe Poreda can start getting those chances when he gets back up, because right now, I would ideally like to limit Linebrink to 1 or 2 batter stints in the 6th and 7th innings until he can get some control back.

Last I saw, Poreda was all over the place in a key situation. I love Poreda, but let's not think he's the answer to our bullpen funk we're in. It's possible, but I think a lot of posters think of him as the backup QB - the most popular guy in town (until this year for the Bears).

JB98
07-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Let's take our lumps, split the next two, and go into Minny with SOME momentum. We had our chances in both games, much moreso in the 2nd game. We had our big chance with guys on 2nd and 3rd and couldn't get it done. They had their chance and pushed a run in.

Speaking of which, hard to say what Thornton should have done once he got to 3-2. Wish he hadn't put himself in that spot, but once it's 3-2 and bases loaded, you can't throw TOO good of a pitch, can you? Otherwise, it's a base hit or double and you're done 2 or 3 instead of just 1. I never know what I expect our guy to do. Hopefully not get to three balls in the first place.

My philosophy is to get after the hitter and take your chance.

Go back to Wednesday night's game. Thornton on the mound, bottom 9, 4-3 Sox lead, runners at the corners, two outs, Longoria at the plate, 2-0 count.

Thornton challenged with a heater and got Longoria to pop up.

Even the best hitters don't come through 100 percent of the time. You gotta make 'em swing the bat and beat you. Don't beat yourself. That's my two cents.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Let's hope that happens.

This was just another classic case of the Sox inability to hit off of pitchers they've never seen before.

tsoxman
07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
The fact that we do not have a better bench grates the hell out of me...With Quentin hobbled, Wise, Castro Fields, and Nix not very good, our options are even fewer. This is one are Kenny could have improved over the offseason but didnt.

ChicagoHoosier
07-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Team needs a hitter big time, a starter most importantly, and the guys we have HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT. We aren't in a good spot to add another arm.

Where is that thread questioning whether this is the best offensive lineup this decade for the Sox? Do we really need another bat in this lineup? What position?

southsideirish71
07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
This game was lost when we had man on 2nd and 3rd in the 7th, and we had consecutive strikeouts with pitches out of the zone. If they make contact and the guy makes a play sure tip your cap. When you fish for stuff out of the zone and K you basically waste the entire point of bunting to get the guys in position in the first place.

:angry:

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Where is that thread questioning whether this is the best offensive lineup this decade for the Sox? Do we really need another bat in this lineup? What position?

Second base is really the only position I'd consider making a move for.

There's going to be a couple of good 2B available too. Freddy Sanchez is out there and Brandon Phillips will more than likely be available too. I'd like either of those guys over Getz.

I'd still like to add a good arm in the rotation to help solidify our starting five. That's the most important thing to me.

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Also to expand on the trade for a 2B possibility, you could probably land Sanchez for next to nothing. The Pirates appear to just be giving away their players for scraps so as long as we would take on his contract, we could get him without giving anything substantial.

That being said, KW loves Getz so I don't see a move being made for a starting 2B.

JB98
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Second base is really the only position I'd consider making a move for.

There's going to be a couple of good 2B available too. Freddy Sanchez is out there and Brandon Phillips will more than likely be available too. I'd like either of those guys over Getz.

I'd still like to add a good arm in the rotation to help solidify our starting five. That's the most important thing to me.

Yeah, pitching help would be welcome. I'm actually cool with riding it out with Getz. I don't think Sanchez and Phillips are enough of an upgrade to merit trading top prospects.

Offensively, these guys just need to get back to hitting with RISP and picking up the easy RBIs.

tstrike2000
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Sox have a tough stretch here and this is not a good start.

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah, pitching help would be welcome. I'm actually cool with riding it out with Getz. I don't think Sanchez and Phillips are enough of an upgrade to merit trading top prospects.

Offensively, these guys just need to get back to hitting with RISP and picking up the easy RBIs.

I don't really have a problem with Getz either but that's really the only position on offense that I can see us making a move for. We're pretty set everywhere else.

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't really have a problem with Getz either but that's really the only position on offense that I can see us making a move for. We're pretty set everywhere else.
Getz is starting to come around offensively. His defense still needs work though. A more experienced second basemen could do wonders for us in the field and I'm sure Sanchez could bring that to the table.

Mohoney
07-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Last I saw, Poreda was all over the place in a key situation. I love Poreda, but let's not think he's the answer to our bullpen funk we're in. It's possible, but I think a lot of posters think of him as the backup QB - the most popular guy in town (until this year for the Bears).

I'm not willing to guarantee that Poreda would be the answer to the bullpen problems, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving him the situational lefty work for a little while to see if he can handle it.

I see it as less of a risk than the risk in keeping Linebrink as the 8th inning guy.

PhillipsBubba
07-24-2009, 09:19 PM
I guess this is where we are supposed to say something uplifting...encourage our heroes to play better...remind them how much we love them...

...since honest criticism is frowned upon in many quarters these days...:scratch:

JB98
07-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Getz is starting to come around offensively. His defense still needs work though. A more experienced second basemen could do wonders for us in the field and I'm sure Sanchez could bring that to the table.

But it's not that much of an upgrade, though. We'd have to be getting him for nothing or next to nothing to make it worth it. I'm not sure what kind of contract Sanchez has either.

Our pitching staff is a bigger need, IMO. If Quentin finds a groove, it will help the offense significantly.

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
But it's not that much of an upgrade, though. We'd have to be getting him for nothing or next to nothing to make it worth it. I'm not sure what kind of contract Sanchez has either.

Our pitching staff is a bigger need, IMO. If Quentin finds a groove, it will help the offense significantly.
We could easily get Sanchez for nothing or next to nothing. The Pirates are practically giving away their most touted players. However, I see your point about it not being much of an upgrade. If we were all about defense, who knows who would be playing third base right now. Fields couldn't do it and Beckham is just learning the position. If Getz plays out the season at his position however, I'll be fine with it.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Now you know why I dislike double headers. I was concerned over the pitching matchup's tonight (Contreras / Colon vs. an unknown mediocrity whom the Sox have never seen before) and if Danks is skipped and Richard is in Sunday night, I'll be even more concerned.

Mark yesterday warned about what happened the last time he threw a no hitter maybe he should get a lottery ticket.

Awful performance.

Lip

Mohoney
07-24-2009, 09:28 PM

At the deadline, Sanchez would be owed $2 million more for this season, and the Pirates have an $8 million club option for 2010 with a $600K buyout. However, that club option vests automatically if he reaches 635 plate appearances in 2009.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
This is from Cowley, so take it for what it's worth. His Twitter says Richard is starting on Sunday. He also says this could be Richard's last start before bullpen time. We'll see.

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 09:30 PM
This is from Cowley, so take it for what it's worth. His Twitter says Richard is starting on Sunday. He also says this could be Richard's last start before bullpen time. We'll see.
I figured. Clearly, Danks isn't ready to go yet and it's definitely a waste to send someone back to the minors for a few days.

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
At the deadline, Sanchez would be owed $2 million more for this season, and the Pirates have an $8 million club option for 2010 with a $600K buyout. However, that club option vests automatically if he reaches 635 plate appearances in 2009.

Interesting. I'd definitely be interested in that.

JB98
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Interesting. I'd definitely be interested in that.

For me, that club option is way too rich.

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Yeah, the chances are pretty high that his option would vest. Still he's a .300 hitter who gets on base and has a pretty good glove.

slavko
07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Tough schedule coming down the road. You always worry about a letdown after something big. Psychology is powerful stuff. We'll see what we're made of the next 2 games. Couple losses make all the warts show up, don't they? All and I mean all the bullpen guys scare me. Oh, and Fire Greg Walker.

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
:shakehead::facepalm::gah:
These can sum up how i'm sure many Sox fans feel.

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Floyd will step up tomorrow.

Will the hitters?

As John Lennon once wrote,
"Tomorrow Never Knows".

After watching these 2 snoozefests,
"Turn off your mind,relax and float downstream"
sounds pretty good to me.

whitesoxfan
07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
:shakehead::facepalm::gah:
These can sum up how i'm sure many Sox fans feel.

Meh, I'm over it. Realistically, all we need to do is win 1 of 4 to stay within easy striking distance of the Tigers.

I do feel confident about tomorrow afternoon, for whatever reason, as well.

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
The only "bad" part of MB pitching that perfect game yesterday was the fact that we had a doubleheader today. They took a later flight, got less rest, and weren't able to concentrate as well, probably. It doesn't matter if Floyd can go out there and dominate IMO. It's all up to the offense.

Noneck
07-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Too bad only a half a dollar was available before season or no need to talk about this because Hudson could be here.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the chances are pretty high that his option would vest. Still he's a .300 hitter who gets on base and has a pretty good glove.

With Richard going Sunday, Saturday becomes a "must win."

Man, all of a sudden I feel very thin with our pitching.

Woofer
07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
As John Lennon once wrote,
"Tomorrow Never Knows".

After watching these 2 snoozefests,
"Turn off your mind,relax and float downstream"
sounds pretty good to me.

Kind of reminds me of Hawks saying, what is it? "Sit down, relax and strap it down."

"It is not dying":smile:

JB98
07-24-2009, 10:19 PM

But if the Sox have $8 million lying around somewhere, I'd rather use it to upgrade the starting rotation than 2B.

We're crossing our fingers and hoping every time Contreras, Colon and Richard take the mound.

tony1972
07-24-2009, 10:30 PM
But if the Sox have $8 million lying around somewhere, I'd rather use it to upgrade the starting rotation than 2B.

We're crossing our fingers and hoping every time Contreras, Colon and Richard take the mound.

I personally had a bad feeling with Contreras and Colon starting today...but it was more on our offense and the lack of clutch hits...I've noticed that maybe the Sox offense press a little too hard when they start because they feel the need to put more runs on the board? :scratch:

Lip Man 1
07-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Just doing a quick check and this may be inaccurate...the Sox are 1-4-4 in their last nine doubleheaders dating back to 2007.

YIKES!

Lip

JB98
07-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I personally had a bad feeling with Contreras and Colon starting today...but it was more on our offense and the lack of clutch hits...I've noticed that maybe the Sox offense press a little too hard when they start because they feel the need to put more runs on the board? :scratch:

Ditto. But both Contreras and Colon turned in decent performances, and we still lost.

Nevertheless, you can't count on those guys to get you deep in a ballgame the way you can Buehrle, Floyd and Danks.

tony1972
07-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Ditto. But both Contreras and Colon turned in decent performances, and we still lost.

Nevertheless, you can't count on those guys to get you deep in a ballgame the way you can Buehrle, Floyd and Danks.

I just notice how the Sox line-up seems to press harder when they pitch..almost a mentatlity 'oh..we have to score 7 or 8 runs today'....it seems they are more patient and relaxed when it's Buerhle, Floyd or Danks starting..less pressure..but this results in better offensive output.

whitesox_09
07-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Meh, I'm over it. Realistically, all we need to do is win 1 of 4 to stay within easy striking distance of the Tigers.

Obviously, everyone would love a sweep but realistically, all we need is 1/4. We should have won the second game but it is over. Staying within 2 does not kill this team. Everyone, chill out.

whitesox_09
07-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Even the best hitters don't come through 100 percent of the time. You gotta make 'em swing the bat and beat you. Don't beat yourself. That's my two cents.

The "best" hitters in the game get hits 30% of the time.

07-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Just doing a quick check and this may be inaccurate...the Sox are 1-4-4 in their last nine doubleheaders dating back to 2007.

YIKES!

Lip

What was the one they won?

kitekrazy
07-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Baseball is a game of streaks. It might be that time they run into a losing streak.

DrCrawdad
07-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Maybe the Sox were all a bit hungover yesterday.

SOXSINCE'70
07-25-2009, 06:48 AM

YIKES!

Lip

As they chanted at Woodstock 40 years ago,
"No rain!No rain!"

SOXSINCE'70
07-25-2009, 06:50 AM

Gavin Floyd pitching helps.

But as mentioned earlier in this thread,
will the hitters show up??:scratch:

doublem23
07-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Now you know why I dislike double headers. I was concerned over the pitching matchup's tonight (Contreras / Colon vs. an unknown mediocrity whom the Sox have never seen before) and if Danks is skipped and Richard is in Sunday night, I'll be even more concerned.

Mark yesterday warned about what happened the last time he threw a no hitter maybe he should get a lottery ticket.

Awful performance.

Lip

Nobody on the Sox has ever seen or heard of this Justin Verlander fellow. What a no-name.

dakotasox
07-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Honestly what do you expect when Wise starts both games, leading off in one of them? Cue the Wise is only one batter comebacks. I don't care. You sub Wise for Pods and this is what you get. You sub Wise for Quentin and this is what you get.

Also, is there any splits for batters against a certain speed pitch? It seems like Thome can't catch up to big time heat anymore. He had no chance against Verlander. And he used to hit Justin well, which is why its so disturbing that he can't hit him now.

Colon was a plus for sure though. Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd are set in the rotation. Contreras too probably. Torres will go back to AAA for a while even though he pitched well. What happens with Colon vs. Richard now? We'll see.

Floyd goes today. He wins for sure. :gulp:

WhiteSoxFTW
07-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Yeah, I just watched the MLB compilation of all 27 outs again. It made me feel much better. Oh, and it brought a tear to my eye...again.

Domeshot17
07-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Obviously, everyone would love a sweep but realistically, all we need is 1/4. We should have won the second game but it is over. Staying within 2 does not kill this team. Everyone, chill out.

It matters because the W/L head to head will decide home field for a tie breaker. That was huge last year that we got lucky on the coinflip. It is no sure thing that we have a tie breaker by any means, but when things are this close, maybe you should just take care of business vs the tigers inlue of relying on someone else to beat them while we beat someone else to make up ground.

hawkjt
07-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Sox hit enough to win both games...but no clutch hitting means losses.
So, I am not ready to say the offense is in a funk yet...yesterday, Beckham did not hit, and he has been red hot. If he had a couple of hits yesterday..we win both games.

Take one of two and we are two games back..right there.
Minny is in a funk, so maybe we go up there and win a couple this time.
Just keep plugging away,Sox. Like last year, I suspect we take this to the final series of the year...hard on the fans,but interesting.

Bart and Jose were ok...but keep in mind that the tigers offense has been horrible since the all star break. Guillen coming back for for the first time since May 4...bad break. He hits us.

Red Barchetta
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Sox hit enough to win both games...but no clutch hitting means losses.
So, I am not ready to say the offense is in a funk yet...yesterday, Beckham did not hit, and he has been red hot. If he had a couple of hits yesterday..we win both games.

Take one of two and we are two games back..right there.
Minny is in a funk, so maybe we go up there and win a couple this time.
Just keep plugging away,Sox. Like last year, I suspect we take this to the final series of the year...hard on the fans,but interesting.

Bart and Jose were ok...but keep in mind that the tigers offense has been horrible since the all star break. Guillen coming back for for the first time since May 4...bad break. He hits us.

I agree. Let's take the next two and split the (extended) series and take some momentum into Minnesota. I didn't expect a series sweep in Detroit and was hoping for a split so it doesn't matter how we do it. Let's get em' today boys!

Mark's perfect game was awesome, however I think we had a little bit of a hangover on Friday. You know Detroit would be up for us and you know the Twins are going to be up for Buehrls as well next week!

Lip Man 1
07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Double:

You know very well I was talking about the stiff Detroit brought back up from the minors to start game #2....the guy with an ERA of over seven...who promptly gave the Sox three runs (all on home runs by the way...)

:?:

1989:

The took two from Detroit last September in a Sunday day - night at U.S. Cellular.

Lip

whitesox_09
07-25-2009, 01:43 PM
It matters because the W/L head to head will decide home field for a tie breaker. That was huge last year that we got lucky on the coinflip. It is no sure thing that we have a tie breaker by any means, but when things are this close, maybe you should just take care of business vs the tigers inlue of relying on someone else to beat them while we beat someone else to make up ground.

I never really considered that aspect...good point. Hopefully we can take the next two. Today's game is must win.