PDA

View Full Version : Mark Kotsay

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-24-2009, 07:15 PM
He's been DFA by the Red Sox. He might be better than Fields for 1B and can play the OF too. What does everyone think?

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 07:24 PM
This would be a good improvement over Fields. Go get him, KW.

LITTLE NELL
07-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Has'nt done much the last few years, I'm not ready to give up on Fields.

jamokes
07-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I agree, Kotsay has seen his better years behind him. There is a reason a good team like the Red Sox let him go. No.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
I agree, Kotsay has seen his better years behind him. There is a reason a good team like the Red Sox let him go. No.

The question is this: Is he better than your current 25th player?

Domeshot17
07-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Hows Kotsays CF defense? Is it still top notch. I would take him over Wise, not Fields. Fields gives us power off the bench.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Hows Kotsays CF defense? Is it still top notch. I would take him over Wise, not Fields. Fields gives us power off the bench.

Kotsay can play all three OF positions and first base. He's also hitting 60 points higher than Wise and is hitting decently against RHP. This would make Fields expendable in a possible trade with the Orioles for Sherrill, as has been rumored elsewhere.

mzh
07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Kotsay can play all three OF positions and first base. He's also hitting 60 points higher than Wise and is hitting decently against RHP. This would make Fields expendable in a possible trade with the Orioles for Sherrill, as has been rumored elsewhere.

Should we combine this with the thread about scouting the O's/Bosox?

Domeshot17
07-24-2009, 10:31 PM

There has not been a Fields for Sherrill rumor. And Getting Kotsay does not make Fields expendable. You are talking about losing 2 position players and adding a pitcher. You would have to follow this move with dropping a pitcher and adding another hitter.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2009, 10:35 PM
There has not been a Fields for Sherrill rumor. And Getting Kotsay does not make Fields expendable. You are talking about losing 2 position players and adding a pitcher. You would have to follow this move with dropping a pitcher and adding another hitter.

There has been a Sherrill rumor. I'm speculating on the Fields part, based solely on the rumor of the Orioles' having interest in him a few years ago.

mzh
07-24-2009, 10:39 PM

Which is why we have BA sitting down in the minors. A pitcher could theoretically be part of a deal for Kotsay, which would in effect be dropping a pitcher. I would think that getting Kotsay would make either Fields, Wise, or for that matter, BA expendable. With BA requesting a trade, he could be the one moving here if this were to happen.

Domeshot17
07-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Which is why we have BA sitting down in the minors. A pitcher could theoretically be part of a deal for Kotsay, which would in effect be dropping a pitcher. I would think that getting Kotsay would make either Fields, Wise, or for that matter, BA expendable. With BA requesting a trade, he could be the one moving here if this were to happen.

They have been trying to trade BA for a while no one wants him.

The problem is, Kotsay would effectively replace Fields, not Wise. If the Sox already choose Wise over Anderson once, why would they not do it again after picking up Kotsay.

The truth is Wise is one of Ozzie's boys. Ozzie loves him likes hes a star, and he isn't going anywhere. Kotsay replacing him 1-1 makes a lot of sense, replacing Fields makes less sense.

mzh
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM
They have been trying to trade BA for a while no one wants him.

The problem is, Kotsay would effectively replace Fields, not Wise. If the Sox already choose Wise over Anderson once, why would they not do it again after picking up Kotsay.

Obviously somebody did want him, and Mark Kotsay was the man. So I guess they would take Kotsay over Anderson.

Congrats CWSpalehoseCWS on getting it right!

spawn
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Well, kotsay is now a member of the Sox, so this thread is done.