PDA

View Full Version : 7/24 Games

KyWhiSoxFan
07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Charlotte 2, Rochester 1 in 10 innings
Anderson, 2-4, hits HR in bottom of 9th with 2 out to tie game 1-1
Kroeger singles home winner in bottom of 10th
Zaleski in AAA debut, 6IP 3H, ER, BB, 7K
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_24_rocaaa_chraaa_1)

Birmingham 3, Montgomery 0
Hudson (W, 5-0), 8IP, 2H, BB, 7K, threw 82 pitches, 2.03
Hernandez (S, 19), IP, H, K, 1.78
Viciedo, 1-3, HR (7)
Danks, 2-3, SB (5), R, RBI
Retherford, 1-4, 2B, RBI (57)
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_24_monaax_biraax_1)

Myrtle Beach 10, Winston-Salem 1
Morel, 2-4, RBI (59), SB (19), E (6)
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_24_myrafa_wswafa_1)

Kannapolis 8, Augusta 7
Leesman, 5IP, 9H, 7ER, 2BB, 3K
Mitchell, 1-4, 3B, RBI, R, E (1, fielding)
Short, 3-4, 2 HRs, 2RBI
Phegley, 1-4, HR in 2nd cons. game after long slump
Black, 1-2, HR, 2RBI
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_24_augafx_kanafx_1)

Great Falls 12, Helena 1
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_24_grfrok_helrok_1)

Pulaski 6, Bristol 5
Shoemaker, 1-3, 2B, 2BB
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_24_brirok_pulrok_1)

A. Cavatica
07-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Hudson with 7 shutout innings so far.

DirtySox
07-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Nice. He sure hasn't thrown many pitches. Looks like a complete game will be in line if I didn't just jinx it.

mzh
07-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Why trade for Roy Halladay when we got Dan Hudson?

35th and Shields
07-24-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm not going to lie, I'm getting pretty excited about him.

DirtySox
07-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Too bad they didn't let Huddy go for the CG. :(:

Konerko05
07-24-2009, 11:05 PM
BA with a game tying homerun in the 9th.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-24-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm anxiously waiting for the trade deadline to come and go and without the Sox doing anything. I don't want KW trading Hudson.

JB98
07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
How does Hudson project? I hadn't heard much about him until this year.

DirtySox
07-24-2009, 11:45 PM

His ceiling is higher this year due to his velocity increase and his improved change. I've read a few people say he could be a #3 starter.

07-24-2009, 11:45 PM

Ceiling of a #2 or #3 starter. Hudson was a 5th round selection out of Old Dominion last summer.

California Sox
07-25-2009, 11:09 AM
The "so-and-so has a ceiling of a number 3 starter" stuff is pretty inexact. No one was predicting Webb or Haren as number ones when they were in the minors, for instance. And guys like Halladay and Curt Schilling were huge disappointments before they weren't. I'd say we should hold on to Hudson because he is a four-pitch guy with solid control in a system where only he, Torres, Ely, and Carter are anywhere close to be able to start in the majors from the right side. I can't imagine the 2010 team is going to get a lot of innings out of Contreras, Colon, and/or Garcia.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-25-2009, 04:56 PM
The "so-and-so has a ceiling of a number 3 starter" stuff is pretty inexact. No one was predicting Webb or Haren as number ones when they were in the minors, for instance. And guys like Halladay and Curt Schilling were huge disappointments before they weren't. I'd say we should hold on to Hudson because he is a four-pitch guy with solid control in a system where only he, Torres, Ely, and Carter are anywhere close to be able to start in the majors from the right side. I can't imagine the 2010 team is going to get a lot of innings out of Contreras, Colon, and/or Garcia.

I agree. Players develop at different rates and you hold on to the guys who are really showing great progress and potential.

If everyone stayed with the same relative ability to all the other players, the guys who dominated in Little League would be dominating in the majors.

Hudson is the best prospect in the Sox system as far as I'm concerned. His potential as a starter exceeds Poreda because he has more pitches to and has greater potential to go longer into a game. Poreda needs to develop another good pitch.

At this stage, I really think Hudson will be in the Sox rotation next year.

Tragg
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm anxiously waiting for the trade deadline to come and go and without the Sox doing anything. I don't want KW trading Hudson.
Agree on both counts.
Goldstein, the BP minor league guy, said that Hudson may be the breakout pitcher of the year in all of the minors, and is a consensus major leaguer among the scouts.

07-27-2009, 03:46 PM

In that case, I'll clarify. He projects somewhere between Cy Young and Arnie Munoz.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Agree on both counts.
Goldstein, the BP minor league guy, said that Hudson may be the breakout pitcher of the year in all of the minors, and is a consensus major leaguer among the scouts.

That's good to hear. He's really rocketing up the charts.

I can see the rotation next year being Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Richard, and Hudson.

California Sox
07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
In that case, I'll clarify. He projects somewhere between Cy Young and Arnie Munoz.

I wasn't taking a shot at you. It's just that #1 starter tends to be code for "throws 97 mph" when success in the majors depends on a lot of non-radar-gun-related abilities like command.

Tragg
07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I wasn't taking a shot at you. It's just that #1 starter tends to be code for "throws 97 mph" when success in the majors depends on a lot of non-radar-gun-related abilities like command.

Now the sabre-boys say that to be an elite pitcher you have to strike out a lot of batters; but to do so, you don't have to be a flamethrower. Now, I'm not sure I buy that Ks are that indicative of pitcher quality, but there is somewhat a correlation.

rdivaldi
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Now the sabre-boys say that to be an elite pitcher you have to strike out a lot of batters; but to do so, you don't have to be a flamethrower. Now, I'm not sure I buy that Ks are that indicative of pitcher quality, but there is somewhat a correlation.

I'm a bigger fan of looking at K:BB and WHIP. K/9 isn't the greatest indicator IMO.