PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Perfection Hangover Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Get 'em tonight, boys. They're throwing a youngster.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Vent here.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I said it in the gamethread and I'll say it now, that first pitch strike to Beckham was BS. Not even close, it changes the whole bat around.

35th and Shields
07-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Oh well

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I said it in the gamethread and I'll say it now, that first pitch strike to Beckham was BS. Not even close, it changes the whole bat around.
Hawk, is that you?

Zakath

At least 8 inches off the plate and probably letters high when it crossed...:angry:

Jurr
Looks like the celebration was intense last night. Ugh.
Come back and get them tonight. You have to get at least a split with these clowns. AT LEAST.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Hawk, is that you?

No, but you have to admit that ball was a good foot off the plate. I'm not saying we were gonna win that game but I hate to see calls like that when a team is trying to rally and fight back.

VeeckAsInWreck
I blame Buehrle for throwing the perfect game yesterday. If the team would've just had a boring old win, they would've gotten some sleep last night!

Seriously, it'll be ok. It's just one game. Let's take tonight's game.

voodoochile
Ducksnorted to death while Verlander was simply smoking...

Get 'em tonight...

Baron
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
So Colon is pitching the night game.....hopefully he is alright and can keep the hits minimal

ChicagoHoosier
07-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Sox had some chances. Couldn't do it. Get em tonite.

whitesoxfan
Verlander's going to have his share of arm problems before it's all said and done. I don't understand why Leyland left him in there when he already had well over 100 pitches in the 9th. I guess he wasn't taking any chances with his bullpen screwing anything up.

Oh well, games like these happen. I'll be happy if we win 2 of 4 in this series, so let's just do our job tonight and take the split.

Rohan
arghhhh I forgot it was a double header!

We better get em tonight!

Jurr
07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
So Colon is pitching the night game.....hopefully he is alright and can keep the hits minimal
When I saw that we were throwing a Contreras/Colon combo at them, I immediately became worried. Let's hope the bats come alive tonight.

PeteWard
07-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Trying to find a positive (Call me "Awayfish") today and I think Leyland must have been napping in order to be fresh for the nightcap. Either that or he was channeling Dusty Baker. 127 pitches today may haunt them in September,

I know it's a reach but that's the only positive I can find.

And god, the defense is a worry.

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
We'll get em tonight!

voodoochile
Trying to find a positive (Call me "Awayfish") today and I think Leyland must have been napping in order to be fresh for the nightcap. Either that or he was channeling Dusty Baker. 127 pitches today may haunt them in September,

I know it's a reach but that's the only positive I can find.

And god, the defense is a worry.

Verlander regularly goes to 120. This isn't far outside his normal routine. He's a horse.

dakotasox
I caught 3-4 innings of the game. The strike zone was pretty trashy but consistent, I think. The ump was calling the outside pitch all day.

Computerized strike zone.

PeteWard
07-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Verlander regularly goes to 120. This isn't far outside his normal routine. He's a horse.

Who else does that these days?

voodoochile
07-24-2009, 03:54 PM
I caught 3-4 innings of the game. The strike zone was pretty trashy but consistent, I think. The ump was calling the outside pitch all day.

Computerized strike zone.

It was a HUGE plate all day up down and side to side. Anything close was getting called. That's to be expected in the first half of a DH.

Blueprint1
07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I was frustrating game in general. I just want to win tonight so we stay tied.

Rohan

Daisuke can... But he kinda sucks now.

whitesoxfan

He's a horse up until he blows out his arm because of that.

October26
Time to look ahead to game 2. Go Sox!

TDog
On a positive note, there is no way Verlander will pitch the night game after throwing 127 pitches in the day game.

The White Sox had a couple of chances, but Verlander has matured into the kind of pitcher Nolan Ryan says he wants to develop. This is the second time in two months that Verlander has pitched a complete game against the Sox, going over 120 pitches in each.

The Sox used to own him when he ran out of gas after five or six innings. Today, in Wise's last at bat, Gameday said he hit 100 and 101 mph when he was already over 120 pitches. When he started getting his breaking stuff over after the third inning, he became tougher to hit. The bullpen might have been up because the Sox had the tying run up. If Beckham had reached, the Sox might have faced Rodney, who would have been fresh, but not throwing as hard. Dwelling on tough losses is counterproductive.

The pitch count enthusiasts may argue that pitching him so deep into games will shorten the effectiveness he has later in the season or perhaps in some future season. I hope they are right that Verlander ceases to be effective, but I doubt that it is going to happen.

Whenever the Sox lose, people here complain that the Sox lost. But today they shouldn't ignore the fact that Verlander flat out beat them.

There is no way the pitching tonight will be as good. I hope that works to the advantage of the Sox.

SoxSpeed22
07-24-2009, 03:56 PM
We just didn't have it for this one. Let's win tonight.

voodoochile
07-24-2009, 03:57 PM

No one that I can think of honestly.

Here's a link to his game log. You'll notice he's been over 100 in every start save 2 (both blowouts) dating back to his 4/17 start. He's had 13 starts in that time with pitch counts 110+ and 9 at 115+.

Edit: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=6341

Rohan
07-24-2009, 03:57 PM
On a positive note, there is no way Verlander will pitch the night game after throwing 127 pitches in the day game.

The White Sox had a couple of chances, but Verlander has matured into the kind of pitcher Nolan Ryan says he wants to develop. This is the second time in two months that Verlander has pitched a complete game against the Sox, going over 120 pitches in each.

The Sox used to own him when he ran out of gas after five or six innings. Today, in Wise's last at bat, Gameday said he hit 100 and 101 mph when he was already over 120 pitches. When he started getting his breaking stuff over after the third inning, he became tougher to hit. The bullpen might have been up because the Sox had the tying run up. If Beckham had reached, the Sox might have faced Rodney, who would have been fresh, but not throwing as hard. Dwelling on tough losses is counterproductive.

The pitch count enthusiasts may argue that pitching him so deep into games will shorten the effectiveness he has later in the season or perhaps in some future season. I hope they are right that Verlander ceases to be effective, but I doubt that it is going to happen.

Whenever the Sox lose, people here complain that the Sox lost. But today they shouldn't ignore the fact that Verlander flat out beat them.

There is no way the pitching tonight will be as good. I hope that works to the advantage of the Sox.

We need more of that around here.

Huisj
07-24-2009, 04:01 PM

The other thing about his 100 mph after 100+ pitches is that his mechanics still seem pretty effortless. He's got a smooth delivery for such velocity.

JB98
07-24-2009, 04:01 PM
When I saw that we were throwing a Contreras/Colon combo at them, I immediately became worried. Let's hope the bats come alive tonight.

Yeah, the pitching matchups today definitely had me a little nervous this morning. I'm basically president of the WSI Clayton Richard Fan Club these days, because I have no faith in Fatolo and would prefer to see Richard keep his spot in the rotation. Hopefully, the large one comes through tonight.

I knew we'd be at a disadvantage this afternoon with Contreras going against Verlander. Verlander was outstanding. At least Jose pitched into the eighth and gave the Sox a chance. With the possible exception of Dotel, our whole bullpen should be ready for tonight.

WisSoxFan
07-24-2009, 04:03 PM

I generally enjoy reading your posts TDog. This one is no different. We had a couple fo chances early and then again in the 9th and couldn't get the big hit. It happens against good pitchers. Let's hope Colon can get through 6 tonight, the offense can get a few runs and the bullpen takes care of the rest.

I know they are professionals, but it has to be tough to feel the euphoria of yesterday, get on a plane and have to play another afternoon game and then have to face a guy like Verlander. That's a tough task.

TDog
07-24-2009, 04:23 PM

I know they are professionals, but it has to be tough to feel the euphoria of yesterday, get on a plane and have to play another afternoon game and then have to face a guy like Verlander. That's a tough task.

The idea some had that yesterday's perfect game would inspire the Sox to even greater things was wishful thinking. As I noted yesterday, the Sox went on one of their worst couple of weeks in the last 20 years after the Alvarez no-hitter, and the Cubs' 1969 collapse began the day after Holtman's first career no-hitter.

At the same time, I don't think the euphoria following Thursday's game should be blamed for the loss. Everyone was aware of the challenge Verlander and the Tigers posed, even if many fans weren't.

WisSoxFan
07-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm not trying to blame the euphoria. I just think it's part of the equation. If Buehrle throws a three-hit shutout yesterday with the first hit coming in the first inning I don't think that changes the outcome today, but I do think it would have been easier to prepare mentally for today's game.

Great points about the Alvarez no-no. If I recall that was a Saturday game and the Sox were playing the O's on Sunday night baseball the next day with a chance to move into first had they won. They took a one-run lead into the 9th and Thigpen gave up a homer. I don't recall if that lost the game (a 2-run shot) or if they got beat in extra innings, but they never seemed to recover from that weekend.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Best thing going is that the bullpen is very rested with these last two starts.

A very good job by Contreras today.

TheVulture
07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
It is amazing that the 'acceptable" number of pitches to expect a pitcher to throw without compromising his future just happens to be the perfectly round 100. 110? 90? Not round enough. Those extra 10 pitches totally throws off the symmetry, practically inviting disaster.

Foulke You
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Contreras did a pretty good job keeping us in the game. We just couldn't get that big hit with the bags loaded a couple times. Double headers tend to always end in splits. I have a good feeling that tonight will go well as long as Fatolo keeps us in the game.

I liked Justin Verlander better when he sucked against us. He really is having a fantastic bounceback year and just might be the Tigers MVP this season.

Metalthrasher442
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I hate when people look passed the fact that we just got aced today. Can't really do much about it.

Do you think people on the Rays forum were moaning about Buehrle throwing a perfect game against them? Man he must have only thrown it against them because the strike zone was bad :rolleyes:

salty99
07-24-2009, 05:09 PM
No one that I can think of honestly.

The only ones I can think of are Halladay and Zambrano.

russ99
07-24-2009, 05:23 PM

When I saw that, the first thing that came to mind is that Kenny needs to work the phones and get us a starter.

But Contreras had an Ok game. Lets hope Bartolo has one too.

thedudeabides
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I hate when people look passed the fact that we just got aced today. Can't really do much about it.

Do you think people on the Rays forum were moaning about Buehrle throwing a perfect game against them? Man he must have only thrown it against them because the strike zone was bad :rolleyes:

When Verlander is on, he has arguably the best stuff in baseball. It sounds like he was on today. I've watched him pitch a couple of times this year, outside of him pitching against the Sox, and after a couple of innings you knew the opponent had no chance.

Go get 'em tonight. :gulp:

Metalthrasher442
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
When I saw that, the first thing that came to mind is that Kenny needs to work the phones and get us a starter.

But Contreras had an Ok game. Lets hope Bartolo has one too.

Agreed I think if Bartolo can have a decent game.. we should be in good shape to win. I wonder who's sitting today.

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
They're throwing a youngster.

Time to break the trend of making young
pitchers look like Koufax or Drysdale. :angry:

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Going into one of the biggest series of the season with Contreras, Colon, Floyd, and Richard as our starters is undoubtedly the reason why this team is only 4 games above .500. We obviously have a starting pitching issue. Those guys are not going to propel us into the playoffs. And Sweaty Freddie isn't going to be the savior. We need a quality stater Kenny.

southsideirish71
07-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Going into one of the biggest series of the season with Contreras, Colon, Floyd, and Richard as our starters is undoubtedly the reason why this team is only 4 games above .500. We obviously have a starting pitching issue. Those guys are not going to propel us into the playoffs. And Sweaty Freddie isn't going to be the savior. We need a quality stater Kenny.

We are 3rd in the American League in starting pitching.

thedudeabides
07-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Contreras has been pretty damn solid since his return. I'm as comfortable with our 1-4 as any of the AL contenders. Certainly more comfortable than any team in the central.

hawkjt
07-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Floyd is 6-0 in his last 6 decisions and undefeated vs the Tigers in his career...thats one.
Jose pitched well today, with one late walk only, and a bunch of ducksnorts in almost 8 innngs. I just wish we had Colon going this afternoon and Jose tonite.
Get the split, no biggie.

Verlander gave the Sox 4 chances in the 2nd,3rd,4th and 9th.
He had great stuff but the Sox did a good job of putting themselves in position to win, just could not get the big hit..Gordo stranded 6 at least.
Hey, the kid has earned a bad couple of days at the plate. I will look for a comeback for him tonite vs Bonine..unless Ozzie decides to rest him. Hope not.

The tigers offense has been bad..but they just faced the yanks and mariners, two good pitching staffs. Today they pecked away enough to do just enough damage to beat the sox.

Gordo did get a rookie call on that last strike but he struggled anyway..who knows.

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
If you asked me, Contreras deserved to win this game. He pitched very well and I think it was just the fact that the offense might have been stretched out because they didn't get a full days rest. If I was Ozzie, I would have put Contreras out tonight, because it gives the offense some time to recouperate and gets Contreras a win in this situation since a tired offense doesn't have to bat against Justin Verlander.

7K, 9H, 4ER is a decent line.