PDA

View Full Version : Calling Sox Army

voodoochile
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
ChicagoNow blogs have posted a poll in the Kaps Corner blog asking which performance was more impressive,

Kerry Wood's 20K 1 H 0BB

or

BurlyMon's perfect game

So far the flubbie faithful have Wood out in front. I think we can change that after all, so far they only have 125 votes...

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/2009/07/kerry-woods-20-strikeout-game-vs-mark-buehrles-perfect-game-which-was-more-impressive.html

ode to veeck
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
that choice should be obvious even to the flubsessed

Rohan
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I voted for Buehrles perfect game. But it really is a close call.

I saw that game, and Kerry Wood's stuff was nearly untouchable. I'm talking curve balls at neck level that break to the ground and still catch the strike zone untouchable. It was probably one of the single most nasty pitching outings that we'll see in our generation.

Buehrle did exactly what he always does, gets hitters to ground out. That being said, if this team didn't have a fantastic defensive game, this perfect game may not have happened. The question is which pitching performance was the most impressive - not which team effort was the most successful.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Done. Perfect games don't come along often. I can't believe how wide a margin Wood is winning by.

white sox bill
07-24-2009, 03:47 PM
ChicagoNow blogs have posted a poll in the Kaps Corner blog asking which performance was more impressive,

Kerry Wood's 20K 1 H 0BB

or

BurlyMon's perfect game

So far the flubbie faithful have Wood out in front. I think we can change that after all, so far they only have 125 votes...

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/2009/07/kerry-woods-20-strikeout-game-vs-mark-buehrles-perfect-game-which-was-more-impressive.html

I'm on it Sarge, er I mean Voodoo

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
The margin just got a lot closer. Nice job. :cheers: 54% to 45%

DeadMoney
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Done. Perfect games don't come along often. I can't believe how wide a margin Wood is winning by.

Well, three guys have struck out 20 batters a total of 4 times (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pitchers_who_have_struck_out_18_or_more_ba tters_in_a_nine-inning_MLB_game). And, as all of us now know, a perfect game has been accomplished 18 times (16 in the modern era).

It's really tough to say which one is more difficult to accomplish, but unfortunately history tells us it's 20 K's.

And even though I say that, Buehrle having a perfect game is more impressive than Wood striking out 20 (when taking into considering who accomplished the feat).

voodoochile
07-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm on it Sarge, er I mean Voodoo

Technically my last rank was Lieutenant for one spectacular night of trolling on the ESPN Toons board back in 2000. The original General Sonny promoted me personally...:D:

FloridaTigers
07-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Speaking as an outsider, so don't burn me at the stake. Perfect games have happened 18, 19 times in professional history? 20 strikeout games have only happened four times. Not to take away from what Mark did, perfect games will always be remembered. However, 20 strikeout games don't happen as often

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Just voted for Buehrle. It's still really close.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Buehrle's now leading. It looks like you can't vote more than once.

FielderJones
07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I clicked on the Baseball Reference link (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199805060.shtml) in the article. Look at some of those Houston Astros batting averages. Some of those guys are automatic outs. Wood got to pitch against a pitcher twice, and one time he bunted with one out.

Not saying 20 Ks isn't impressive, but Mark had a much tougher batting order to go through.

I got a good laugh at the Wood game attendance.

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
That is an assinie poll to begin with. How do you even compare the two? Typical whiny cub fan.

Boondock Saint
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
The existence of this poll is the very picture of bitterness. It's almost like they're saying, "Yeah, Mark Buehrle just made history, but check out what this Cub did more than ten years ago!"

edit: of course, I voted.

mzh
07-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Buehrle now leading by 13%!

ShoelessJoeS
07-24-2009, 04:33 PM
The wording of the options is most hilarious...

Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game where he allowed one hit and no walks
Mark Buehrle's perfect game where he had six strikeouts

MB's perfect game seems like less of an accomplishment because he only had 6 K's. :rolleyes:

g0g0
07-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Voted!

wmusox9
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Voted 25 times now MB is up 21%.

MarySwiss
07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Voted!

Foulke You
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I clicked on the Baseball Reference link (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199805060.shtml) in the article. Look at some of those Houston Astros batting averages. Some of those guys are automatic outs. Wood got to pitch against a pitcher twice, and one time he bunted with one out.

Not saying 20 Ks isn't impressive, but Mark had a much tougher batting order to go through.
Absolutely agree Fielder. The Rays have a team obp of .354 which is the highest since 1953. The Rays also rank third in the AL in batting avg. This is the highest hitting ranking of a team that has ever been no hit in the big leagues. Wood's 20K day was impressive but Buehrle's perfect game takes it by a nose.

TDog
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Speaking as an outsider, so don't burn me at the stake. Perfect games have happened 18, 19 times in professional history? 20 strikeout games have only happened four times. Not to take away from what Mark did, perfect games will always be remembered. However, 20 strikeout games don't happen as often

As an outsider, you should see that comparing the two is absolutely ridiculous.

Asking people to rank what was better between two games that Buehrle pitched would be rather silly. Asking to pick between a White Sox perfect game and a game pitched by a Cubs pitcher in the last millennium (not even a current Cubs pitcher) is picking a fight.

Why not compare Wood's game to Randy Johnson's 20-strikeout game, where he had to face a DH? Better yet, why not have a poll comparing Kerry Wood's career to Randy Johnson's. Maybe you could compare Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game to Nolan Ryan's 17-strikeout no-hitter, or his 16-strikeout no-hitter where he walked only two batters.

Maybe if Kerry Wood didn't need to be Kid K, if he didn't need to strike people out to get them out at the beginning of his career he would be the pitcher Randy Johnson or even Mark Buehrle is today.

Petty people and perpetual losers looking for reassurance in their dreary existences ask such questions.

FielderJones
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm not going to get a Movable Type signon just to post one reply on Kap's Corner, but if any of you have one you're free to post this just to irritate Kap and his Kubbie Kool-Aid drinkers.

Let's rank which feat is more impressive as only Cubs fans know how:
Buehrle - 28,036
Wood - 15,758

:tongue:

spawn
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Asking people to rank what was better between two games that Buehrle pitched would be rather silly. Asking to pick between a White Sox perfect game and a game pitched by a Cubs pitcher in the last millennium (not even a current Cubs pitcher) is picking a fight.

Why not compare Wood's game to Randy Johnson's 20-strikeout game, where he had to face a DH? Better yet, why not have a poll comparing Kerry Wood's career to Randy Johnson's. Maybe you could compare Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game to Nolan Ryan's 17-strikeout no-hitter, or his 16-strikeout no-hitter where he walked only two batters.

Maybe if Kerry Wood didn't need to be Kid K, if he didn't need to strike people out to get them out at the beginning of his career he would be the pitcher Randy Johnson or even Mark Buehrle is today.

Petty people and perpetual losers looking for reassurance in their dreary existences ask such questions.
I guess I'm going to take an extremely simplistic view on things. the 20 strikeout game was pretty impressive. However, with the way Wood was dealing that day, Houston still managed 2 baserunners. Retiring everyone you faced without allowing a single baserunner tops 20 K's IMO.

Believe It!
07-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Dude, just humor everyone

ThePopeDonnPall
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
"Strikeouts are boring. Besides that, they're fascist."

Boondock Saint
07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not going to get a Movable Type signon just to post one reply on Kap's Corner, but if any of you have one you're free to post this just to irritate Kap and his Kubbie Kool-Aid drinkers.

:tongue:

Owned.

Johnny Mostil
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Better yet, why not have a poll comparing Kerry Wood's career to Randy Johnson's.

Best of all, compare Kerry Wood's career to Wilbur Wood's!

Kerry to date: 79-64, 3.68 ERA, 47 saves, 1.254 WHIP, 1,445 K

Wilbur career: 164-156, 3.24 ERA, 57 saves, 1.232 WHIP, 1,411 K

I'll take Wilbur.:redneck

Johnny Mostil
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
"Strikeouts are boring. Besides that, they're fascist."

Heh. I was thinking of Crash when I first saw this thread.

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Ah, but therein lies the rub......as a Tigers fan, you really don't have to put up with this crap from the hometown media. So, let's cut through the bull**** and explain what this is really about.

See, the whole point of Kaplan talking about this isn't to make an educated comparison of 20 Ks vs. a perfect game. The whole point is that yesterday was Buehrle's and the White Sox's day in the sun and some of these Cub-loving tools in our media just can't stand the idea that their beloved Cubbies aren't constantly the center of attention.

Buehrle pitches a perfect game? Quick, let's drag Cubs glory back into the spotlight by bringing up Wood's performance from 11 years ago!!!! Kerry Wood! 20 strikeouts!!!! Cubs Woo! Cubs Woo! Let's make this all about the Cubs!

So, in summary, which is "better"? A perfect game or a twen.......WHO GIVES A ****!!!! MARK BUEHRLE PITCHED A FREAKING PERFECT GAME YESTERDAY!!!! **** ABOUT THE CUBS ALREADY!!!!!

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Ah, but therein lies the rub......as a Tigers fan, you really don't have to put up with this crap from the hometown media. So, let's cut through the bull**** and explain what this is really about.

See, the whole point of Kaplan talking about this isn't to make an educated comparison of 20 Ks vs. a perfect game. The whole point is that yesterday was Buehrle's and the White Sox's day in the sun and some of these Cub-loving tools in our media just can't stand the idea that their beloved Cubbies aren't constantly the center of attention.

Buehrle pitches a perfect game? Quick, let's drag Cubs glory back into the spotlight by bringing up Wood's performance from 11 years ago!!!! Kerry Wood! 20 strikeouts!!!! Cubs Woo! Cubs Woo! Let's make this all about the Cubs!

So, in summary, which is "better"? A perfect game or a twen.......WHO GIVES A ****!!!! MARK BUEHRLE PITCHED A FREAKING PERFECT GAME YESTERDAY!!!! **** ABOUT THE CUBS ALREADY!!!!!

:clap:

WhiteSoxFTW
07-24-2009, 05:46 PM
The entire argument is subjective and completely asinine. Kaplan is trust trying to drum up controversy. It's about all you can do when the Cubs are playing so ****ing poorly.

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I got a good laugh at the Wood game attendance.

Wrigley Field, Attendance: 15,758

:lol: Lies, lies!!! All lies! That box score has obviously been tampered with! We all know the Cubs have always sold out all their games! The last time they didn't have a packed house was back in the 1970s.

That is an assinie poll to begin with. How do you even compare the two? Typical whiny cub fan.

BINGO!

The existence of this poll is the very picture of bitterness. It's almost like they're saying, "Yeah, Mark Buehrle just made history, but check out what this Cub did more than ten years ago!"

BINGO!

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Although twenty strikeouts is a RIDICULOUS feat, nothing, I mean nothing beats a perfect game. I'm sorry.

MarySwiss
07-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Well, I'd say you nailed it, Hitmen. A White Sox pitcher threw a perfect game, but it can never just be about the White Sox. Someone in the media always has to figure out some way to make it be about the Cubs, no matter how pathetic the attempt is. I'm kind of surprised that this guy didn't bring up Kenny Holtzman's (sp?) no-hitters; the ones that WGN used to run whenever there was a rainout.

BTW, Phil Rogers had a column today that was "about" Buehrle, but he still just had to do the obligatory "Cubs let Maddux get away" reference. Uh, Phil? What the hell did that have to do with Buehrle's masterpiece?

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 06:44 PM
It's always beautiful whenever we beat Cubs fans...Buehrle's up by 15%!

TDog
07-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Best of all, compare Kerry Wood's career to Wilbur Wood's!

Kerry to date: 79-64, 3.68 ERA, 47 saves, 1.254 WHIP, 1,445 K

Wilbur career: 164-156, 3.24 ERA, 57 saves, 1.232 WHIP, 1,411 K

I'll take Wilbur.:redneck

Since the 20 strikeout game, I've been telling people Kerry Wood would never get as many wins as Wilbur Wood.

I would have added saves to the statement, but saves are easier to come by these days if you're a closer who only pitches one inning at a time and only come in when your team is winning.

Johnny Mostil
07-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Since the 20 strikeout game, I've been telling people Kerry Wood would never get as many wins as Wilbur Wood.

I would have added saves to the statement, but saves are easier to come by these days if you're a closer who only pitches one inning at a time and only come in when your team is winning.

You're right about the easier saves today, which is one reason I was surprised Wilbur had more. I probably shouldn't have been. I'm guessing Kerry will catch him later this year, but maybe not, given how terrible both he and the Tribe have been . . .

Gammons Peter
07-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Kaplan is such a dbag

soxfan43
07-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Can there be something better than perfect? Seems pretty simple to me.

Domeshot17
07-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Strike Outs are Fascist anyway. Ground balls are more Democratic!

Crash Davis votes for Burls

RedPinStripes
07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I can't believe there's even a comparison . That's the only game that made Wood's career. Buehrle has been consistent for 10 years and has accomplished everything any pitcher dreams of. Never been a K guy but ANY team in MLB would have Mark over Kerry any day. Not even close unless you're a baseball dumbass.

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I can't believe there's even a comparison . That's the only game that made Wood's career. Buehrle has been consistent for 10 years and has accomplished everything any pitcher dreams of. Never been a K guy but ANY team in MLB would have Mark over Kerry any day. Not even close unless you're a baseball dumbass.

Well, that's your answer. Consider the source

Brian26
07-24-2009, 08:33 PM

The only thing I can equate this ludicrous poll to would be a comparison of the importance of Sammy Sosa's 1998 Homer #61 (or #62) and Joe Borchard's 508-ft homer in 2004. It's like saying that Borchard's was more important because it traveled farther.

RedPinStripes
07-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Strike Outs are Fascist anyway. Ground balls are more Democratic!

Crash Davis votes for Burls

Well, I get it, but was looking for different wording. Can't go there :)

RedPinStripes
07-24-2009, 08:35 PM
The only thing I can equate this ludicrous poll to would be a comparison of the importance of Sammy Sosa's 1998 Homer #61 (or #62) and Joe Borchard's 508-ft homer in 2004. It's like saying that Borchard's was more important because it traveled farther.

That's good! LOL!

JB98
07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Cubbie faithful just can't stand that Buehrle has two more no-hitters than their beloved "Woody," who was supposedly a threat to toss a no-no every time out. Of course, he never did toss a no-no, but that's irrelevant to Cubbie faithful.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Cubbie faithful just can't stand that Buehrle has two more no-hitters than their beloved "Woody," who was supposedly a threat to toss a no-no every time out. Of course, he never did toss a no-no, but that's irrelevant to Cubbie faithful.

Give Wood some credit. Every simulated game he pitched was perfect.

guillensdisciple
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Best post ever.

Dick Allen
07-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Dumbass Kaplan comparing two different types of pitchers. Wood is a strikeout pitcher who found limited amounts of success in between stints on the DL. MB is a quick worker who doesn't need to throw an inordinate amount of pitches to get people out. Wood's 20-strikeout game was the epitome of a performance for the type of pitcher that he is, but MB's perfect game is the epitome of a pitching performance period. And let's compare their respective bodies of work throughout their careers including postseason. There IS no comparison. As has been repeated, just another nugget from the brain-dead Cubbie-loving media.

TommyJohn
07-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Why does it even matter? They're both great accomplishments in their own right.

I do love how some in the media (Ofman, asswipe Bernstein) had to piss on the parade by babbling about how Wood's game was "more impressive." Even that chicagonow blog run by *bleep* got into the act with their poll. Now just think about that. Sox fans are constantly ridiculed for being "obsessed" with the Cubs, yet not one White Sox accomplishment can go by without some media members referencing the Cubs. Who's obsessed? And the Wood game happened 11 years ago. Stop living in the past and move on with your life.

One more thing. If a Sox fan had called Boers and Bernstein in the afterglow of Zambrano's no-hitter and said that Buehrle's no-hitter from the year before was "more impressive" because he faced fewer batters than Zambrano, what would the reaction of Mr. Bernstein have been? He is, after all, much smarter than all of us Neanderthal knuckleheads, right?

I posted the above in another thread, I'll restate it here. And there is no bigger fool in the Chicago sports media than Kaplan. He's a clown. Like one poster stated earlier, this is about nothing-it is simply picking a fight. I just wish one of his fellow media members would call him on it, but they don't, for some reason.

WhiteSox1989
07-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Listening to Boers and Bernstein yesterday made me wants to punch a wall.

It's pointless. And Mark's game was FAR more impressive.

Dick Allen
07-25-2009, 10:41 AM
What I don't understand is that Bernstein is (allegedly) a Sox fan. It's one thing for the Cubbie-loving media to dredge this up. I guess Bernstein figures he's just too smart for everybody, regardless of who he roots for.

WhiteSox1989
07-25-2009, 10:45 AM
The wording of the options is most hilarious...

Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game where he allowed one hit and no walks
Mark Buehrle's perfect game where he had six strikeouts

MB's perfect game seems like less of an accomplishment because he only had 6 K's. :rolleyes:

Actually I was at lunch yesterday at work and heard some guy say this. His buddy mentioned the game to him and the other guy's response was "Yeah, he only had something like 6 strike outs though."

DumpJerry
07-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Wood was a rookie when he appeared in that game. It was probably the first time Houston saw him.

In other words, it was just like a typical outing for a pitcher the Sox have never seen before.:redneck

Burls gets the vote. Tampa has seen him before and their lineup this year is full o' studs.

ode to veeck
07-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Burly Mon still holding the lead in this really stupid poll.

Nicely done Sox Army

TDog
07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Actually I was at lunch yesterday at work and heard some guy say this. His buddy mentioned the game to him and the other guy's response was "Yeah, he only had something like 6 strike outs though."

On NPR this morning, a sports commentator said he liked that Mark Buehrle's no-hitter was so Democratic. It made the game better for the fans and a real team effort, he said.

I am old enough to remember Kenny Holtzman's no-hitter in 1969, which was supposed to punctuate the greatness of the Cubs, who were running away with the NL East in the first year of divisional play in baseball. Eight games over the Mets, who had never finished higher than ninth place, and Holtzman pitches a no-hitter against the West-leading Braves, who would probably just concede to the Cubs' greatness come NLCS time.

My point here isn't that the Cubs then went into a tailspin, losing 16 games in the standings over the next six weeks to those lowly Mets. My point is that all the Cubs euphoria in Chicago, comparable in my lifetime only to 1984 and 2003 pre-collapses, ignored one aspect of Kenny Holtzman's achievement.

He struck out no one.

SI1020
07-25-2009, 12:48 PM
On NPR this morning, a sports commentator said he liked that Mark Buehrle's no-hitter was so Democratic. It made the game better for the fans and a real team effort, he said.

I am old enough to remember Kenny Holtzman's no-hitter in 1969, which was supposed to punctuate the greatness of the Cubs, who were running away with the NL East in the first year of divisional play in baseball. Eight games over the Mets, who had never finished higher than ninth place, and Holtzman pitches a no-hitter against the West-leading Braves, who would probably just concede to the Cubs' greatness come NLCS time.

My point here isn't that the Cubs then went into a tailspin, losing 16 games in the standings over the next six weeks to those lowly Mets. My point is that all the Cubs euphoria in Chicago, comparable in my lifetime only to 1984 and 2003 pre-collapses, ignored one aspect of Kenny Holtzman's achievement.

He struck out no one. Hank Aaron hit a home run ball late in the game that the famous Wrigley Field wind blew back in the playing field. Billy Williams made the catch against the ivy in the deepest part of left center field. Brickhouse could barely contain himself at the conclusion of the game, but as you said the Cubs were about do a major el foldo.

Madscout
07-25-2009, 02:34 PM
A lot of people voted Cubs just because "they couldn't get the ball out of the infield". I guess that just comes down to which approach to pitching is better: throwing nasty stuff so the hitters can't see straight or doing your job, throwing strikes, and keeping the ball off the big part of the bat. I vote the later, and because MB doesn't have the stuff that Wood had, and that he throws only 88 max, it makes it more impressive, because he has to locate every ball well, where Wood doesn't have to, and he almost did.

fram40
07-25-2009, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=RedPinStripes;2299477]I can't believe there's even a comparison . That's the only game that made Wood's career. QUOTE]

The game that typified Wood's career was game 7 of 2003 NLCS - he choked away the lead

Of course they have to compare their heroes and trash MB. it is only natural But in this case - the comparison is so one-sided I almost feel sorry for Cubdumb. Kerry Wood is the epitome of the past 101 years. Over-hyped and overrated - injury prone, no championships and he has never reached his alleged potential. Hasn't even come close. He probably has more trips to the DL than seasons pitched.

Mark Buerhle is the opposite - under-hyped and under-rated. He has a World Series Championship, a no-hitter, and now a perfect game. Mark has out-performed his potential and has been a better pitcher than Wood. Yes he has thrown fewer strikeouts - by any statistical measure. Big deal - Buerhle has won more than 14 games a few times.

For better or worse - Buerhle and Wood have been the faces of their teams for the last ten years or so. And each has been the most enduringly popular player on each team. So yes, they have to compare the two players and their achievements.

20 strikeouts against a crappy NL team is quite impressive. Especially when you factor in the rain and cold and the team from Texas.

A perfect game against one of the best teams in the league in beautiful sunshine is more impressive.

soxfanreggie
07-25-2009, 04:18 PM
55-45 in favor of perfection. Wood gave up a hit, Burls did not...I'm going with "Mr. Perfect" and I am not talking about Curt Hennig :D:

central44
07-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Wood strikes guys out, Buehrle knows how to locate his pitches so hitters get themselves out. Two completley opposite ways of going about their business. It's not fair to criticize Buehrle for not striking out a ton of hitters because that's just not what he does.

The idea of a perfect game serves as kind of a neutral benchmark. If you manage to get to that point, obviously you're really effective in the way you handle your business, regardless of how you do it. Buehrle did it. Wood didn't. It kind of reminds me of the NFL, where everyone decided the Patriots were the best team ever until they lost the Superbowl. Now they don't even belong in the discussion, even though they were dominant during the season. If you don't win a Superbowl, you're not the best team ever--the same way that if you don't throw a perfect game, your achievement is not more impressive than someone who did.

It is despicable though. Everyone talks about how Greg Maddux is the best pitcher they've ever seen because of his control, and his ability to get people out without strikouts. Buehrle is the exact same way, threw a perfect game, and people are nitpicking that he didn't strike out enough hitters? Its like a double standard.

Sox
07-25-2009, 09:38 PM
55-44 in favor of Mark. :cool:

jamokes
07-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Dave Kaplan is a tool. Ican't listen to him on the radio at all....lame, very lame.

BleacherBandit
07-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Voodoo, I'm sorry that all those Cubs fans are acting like tools on Kaplan's blog because you "misused" the word "penultimate". Anybody who uses a "mistake" like that as evidence that Kerry Wood's performance is more impressive than Buehrle's is an idiot.

Why oh why did David Kaplan have to open this ridiculous can of worms?

RedPinStripes
07-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Well, that's your answer. Consider the source

I'm trying to figure out which way your sarcasm is in your post. It's either for the dope Cubs fans depending on one game or we're on the same page.

RedPinStripes
07-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Bores and that snobby prick he teams with actually had a good point in the beginning of the show. The Sox had possibly their wost defense out there.

1st year guy at 1b , ss, cf Castro 1st time catching Mark, then Wise to replace Pods (Better). Rookie at 2b , 3b , Broke down Dye in cf and Quentin is no gold glover. Only great defensman out there was Buehrle.

This might be the best pitched game ever. ******* bernstien actually said this.

Dan H
07-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Wood was absolutely lights out that game. However, Buerhle has been there for the Sox year in and year out for a decade now. Mark not only has two no-hitters, he has been a pitcher that could relied upon to keep his team in games time after time. Wood was talent wasted and mishandled.

Cub fans say they don't care what the Sox do but they get awful jealous any time the Sox do something real special whether it is a no-hitter or hitting four homers in a row. I wish they would all just go away and take those stupid vines with them.

MarySwiss
07-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Voodoo, I'm sorry that all those Cubs fans are acting like tools on Kaplan's blog because you "misused" the word "penultimate". Anybody who uses a "mistake" like that as evidence that Kerry Wood's performance is more impressive than Buehrle's is an idiot.

Wow, I just went back and read the later comments. Nasty little Cubbie fans! Wonder how many of those geniuses had to look up "penultimate" before they launched their snide little attacks?

And IMO, the "ultimate" would be 27 straight strikeouts in Game Four of the World Series if you already had a three-game lead. Probably won't happen soon. :cool:

voodoochile
07-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow, I just went back and read the later comments. Nasty little Cubbie fans! Wonder how many of those geniuses had to look up "penultimate" before they launched their snide little attacks?

And IMO, the "ultimate" would be 27 straight strikeouts in Game Four of the World Series if you already had a three-game lead. Probably won't happen soon. :cool:

I always thought the word meant second best or second from the top. I never thought it meant best because obviously that is what ultimate means. I was trying to set a trap actually with the WS win and save being the ultimate top of Buehrle's (or any pitcher's) career.

Hoisted by my own petard as it were...:redface:

I don't really care what a bunch of dumbasses think anyway. If they want to hammer me for misusing the word as a defense for their idiocy, so be it...

Jpgr91
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
The whole arguement is kind of silly. Both games were amazing accomplishments and special in their own right. Statisticly, a 20k game is more rare than a perfect game, being in the "strikeout era" kind of skews that stat. There is allways a chance that someone can get more than 20k in a game, but you can never do better than a perfect game.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Where does it say that rarer = better?

Jpgr91
07-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Where does it say that rarer = better?

It does not say that, I was saying that. What is or is not better is just a matter of opinion, that's why I said the whole argument of which is better is kind of silly. The scarcity of both events does need to be taken into account when comparing performances I would think.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-26-2009, 01:21 PM
It does not say that, I was saying that. What is or is not better is just a matter of opinion, that's why I said the whole argument of which is better is kind of silly. The scarcity of both events does need to be taken into account when comparing performances I would think.

yes sir I'm backing you up....

TommyJohn
07-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Why oh why did David Kaplan have to open this ridiculous can of worms?Because he's an assclown who can't stand to see the White Sox do something like that and get attention.

SBSoxFan
07-26-2009, 03:06 PM

On a somewhat related note, on 670 AM the day after Buehrle's perfecto, Mully and Hanley had Milt Pappas on. Why? Because he almost pitched a perfect game for the Cubs? All the guy did was bitch about the umpire because he cost Pappas a perfect game. Let him go have his whine fest on 720, that's the Cubs' station anyway.

Mully and Hanley have been a breath of fresh air for morning sports radio in Chicago, but after that useless interview, I may never listen to 670 again other than for a Sox game.

TommyJohn
07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
On a somewhat related note, on 670 AM the day after Buehrle's perfecto, Mully and Hanley had Milt Pappas on. Why? Because he almost pitched a perfect game for the Cubs? All the guy did was bitch about the umpire because he cost Pappas a perfect game. Let him go have his whine fest on 720, that's the Cubs' station anyway.

Mully and Hanley have been a breath of fresh air for morning sports radio in Chicago, but after that useless interview, I may never listen to 670 again other than for a Sox game.
I didn't see anything wrong with that, he is the last Chicago pitcher to come that close. Charlie Robertson is dead. It would be great to hear from Billy Pierce, who also lost a perfecto with two out in the 9th. Has anyone contacted him?

Probably not. After all, Pappas got his no-hitter, Pierce did not. Therefore, Pappas's game was more impressive.

slavko
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Bores and that snobby prick he teams with actually had a good point in the beginning of the show. The Sox had possibly their wost defense out there.

1st year guy at 1b , ss, cf Castro 1st time catching Mark, then Wise to replace Pods (Better). Rookie at 2b , 3b , Broke down Dye in cf and Quentin is no gold glover. Only great defensman out there was Buehrle.

This might be the best pitched game ever. ******* bernstien actually said this.

What do you really think of the guy? Actually, there was exactly one hard play, so who was playing defense mattered very little.

slavko
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Because he's an assclown who can't stand to see the White Sox do something like that and get attention.

Because he "analyzes" everything in terms of his Cubbie obsession. And what you said too.

SoxGirl4Life
07-26-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm trying to figure out which way your sarcasm is in your post. It's either for the dope Cubs fans depending on one game or we're on the same page.

We're on the same page

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I still want to know what Cubs fans are smoking. I'd rather not allow any runners on base than strikeout 20 batters. Shouldn't a pitcher's ultimate goal always be to minimize the number of base runners they allow?

MarySwiss
07-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I still want to know what Cubs fans are smoking. I'd rather not allow any runners on base than strikeout 20 batters. Shouldn't a pitcher's ultimate goal always be to minimize the number of base runners they allow?

One would think! :smile:

TommyJohn
07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
It's nothing more than jerkoffs trying to minimize the accomplishment out of jealousy. If a Cub pitcher pitched a perfect game and Sox fans tried to minimize it, they'd be laughed at and dissed as "obsessed" with the Cubs.

SBSoxFan
07-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with that, he is the last Chicago pitcher to come that close. Charlie Robertson is dead. It would be great to hear from Billy Pierce, who also lost a perfecto with two out in the 9th. Has anyone contacted him?

Probably not. After all, Pappas got his no-hitter, Pierce did not. Therefore, Pappas's game was more impressive.

Who cares if he's a Chicago pitcher? He wasn't a Sox pitcher. It's like they put him on the radio so he could say one more time how the umpire screwed him out of his perfect game. They should have just put Santo on with him so they each could have whined.