PDA

View Full Version : How Many White Sox No Hitters and/or Perfect Games Have You Seen In Your Lifetime?

Thome25
07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
How many White Sox no hitters have you seen since you first became a fan? I doubt anyone here will answer that they saw a perfect game besides Buehrle's.......the last one happened in 1922.

Since I became a fan, I saw Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter in 1991, Buehrle's in 2007 and Buehrle's yesterday.

How about you?

anewman35
07-24-2009, 08:12 AM
How many White Sox no hitters have you seen since you first became a fan? I doubt anyone here will answer that they saw a perfect game besides Buehrle's.......the last one happened in 1922.

Since I became a fan, I saw Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter in 1991, Buehrle's in 2007 and Buehrle's yesterday.

How about you?

Same ones. I also saw Melido Perez's rain-shortened one in 1990, which was a no-hitter at the time, but later on they changed the offiicial definition to make only 9+ inning no-hitters count.

TomBradley72
07-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Only one in person, and that was the Andy Hawkins/Sox win no hitter.

Including TV...the Blue Moon Odom/Francisco Barrios combo no hitter, Joe Cowley no hitter come to mind.

roylestillman
07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
See below.

Thome25
07-24-2009, 09:20 AM
See below.

Didn't you watch Alvarez's no-no in 1991? You were after all, a fan back then.

Cangelosi CF
07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I was at Andy Hawkins' no-hitter loss in 1990. Saw myself and my friends on This Week In Baseball the next week.

watched Alvarez's no hitter on tv.

DumpJerry
07-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Three.

Burt Hooten of the Cubs on my 10th birthday over the Phillies (4/16/72)
Andy Hawkins
Buehrle version 1.0.

Sold my tickets for yesterday's game in March.:whiner:

I'm still two up on Stoney.:D:

Cat Thief
07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
I seen Jack Morris no hit us back in 1984 and I was there in 07 for Mark's.

Huisj
07-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I remember watching Alvarez's no-hitter on TV when I was a kid. I was in the car with my dad for at least part of Hawkin's lost no-hitter against the Sox.

For both of Buehrle's, I was at school sitting in front of a computer doing work with a gameday window open.

voodoochile
07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the first I've seen. I didn't see Mark's first no-no - wasn't even aware it happened until I logged on to WSI that night after work.

I honestly cannot recall if I watched the last few innings of the Alvarez no-no or maybe the whole thing on TV.

Soxman219
07-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Two. Both of Buehrle's no hitters. Went to yesterday's!

DumpJerry
07-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm still pissed about the Alvarez one. I was at my g/f's place. Watched the First Inning. Got on the train and bus to my parents' place on the other side of town. Got to my parents' place and the Doorman was beaming. The game had just ended and I missed most of it.:angry:

spawn
07-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Two. Both of Buehrle's no hitters.
Same here.

Woofer
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I see no one else besides (Tom Bradley)mentioned Joe Cowley and his no hitter from 1986? I was at the Andy Hawkins game in 1990, and at Buehrles 2007 no-no. Also was watching on TV for the Wilson Alvarez no-no in 1991.

TDog
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM
.... I didn't see Mark's first no-no - wasn't even aware it happened until I logged on to WSI that night after work. ....

I had the same experience. I got home from a night class, called up the scores and saw Mark Buehrle had pitched a no-hitter.

I didn't see yesterday's perfect game, but for the ninth inning when ESPN picked it up. I followed it on Gameday, though.

I listened to the Joe Cowley no-hitter on Angels radio, not knowing that it would be the last major league game Cowley would win. Giving up a bases-loaded sacrifice fly -- a hard line drive -- to Reggie Jackson and securing the no-hitter with a doubleplay after a walk, it wasn't a particularly well-pitched no-hitter.

I wasn't watching the Sox the night of the Francisco Barrios-Blue Moon Odom thing. The places I lived in Arizona and California didn't have WGN on their cable systems, so I missed Wilson Alvarez, which was before you could follow games on the Internet. I was still living in Texas for the Joe Horlen no-hitter.

I never considered Andy Hawkins loss to the Sox to pitch a no-hitter because I've seen other pitchers before and since pitch eight no-hit innings without getting credit for a no-hitter. Even Cowley made it through nine.

I did see the Jack Morris no-hitter because that was on the NBC Saturday Game of the Week.

I saw the end of the two Kenny Holtzman's first no-hitter in 1969. It looked like fans were running out onto the field and mobbing him as Jack Brickhouse's voice was cracking with the screams "it's a no-hitter; it's a no-hitter." But I was only 12. It was probably just his teammates. I saw the end of the Milt Pappas no-hitter, which was a perfect game until two outs in the ninth. He had a 2-2 count on pinch-hitter Larry Stahl, but the next two borderline pitches were called balls. Pappas got Gary Jestadt for the no-hitter, but he became the first major league pitcher to take a perfect game into the 27th out before losing it.

I was ecstatic to see Mark Buehrle not become the second.

Woofer
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I believe Joe Cowley had 8 walks IIRC.

roylestillman
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Didn't you watch Alvarez's no-no in 1991? You were after all, a fan back then.

I don't even think I saw that one on TV.

Came real close to being in attendance for another one up in Milwaukee when Dennis Lamp took one into ninth in 1981. Robin Yount hit a double off him and got booed by the Brewer fans.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Two. Both of Buehrle's no hitters. Went to yesterday's!
I went to Buehrle's last no-hitter, but not yesterday's PERFECT GAME! Those are the only two. I was a fan back in '91, but I think that game was on cable, so I couldn't watch it.

TDog
07-24-2009, 01:04 PM
I believe Joe Cowley had 8 walks IIRC.

That sounds about right. He walked the bases loaded with one out in the fifth or six inning to bring up Reggie Jackson who hit the crap out of the ball for a run-scoring out, according to the Angels announcers.

When you don't have to retire 27 batters, it's easier to pitch a no-hitter. Cowley's might be the only no hitter that ended with a doubleplay. He only had to retire two hitters in the ninth.

Mark Buehrle, of course, only retired 26 batters in his first no-hitter. But the hitter he walked, he pitcked off. So while he retired only 26 hitters, he retired a runner defesively.

Burt Hooten walked eight man in his no-hitter for the Cubs. I don't know if that is a record, though.

Orta 4-6-3
07-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I've seen several on TV, but as far as witnessing in person:

Jack Morris vs the Sox, April '84
Wilson Alvarez vs Baltimore, July '91
Mark Buehrle vs Texas, April '07

Medford Bobby
07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
In person at the Hawkins no-hitter.

However I remember listing to the Odom/Hamilton/etc no hitter on the radio as it was a late west coast game in Oakland, so I don't remember if those games were all on TV...or if my Mom did not have a TV set at her apartment back in 1976??:scratch:

LITTLE NELL
07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
In person: 0
On TV: Sad Sam Jones (Cubs) 1955
Don Larsen (Yankees WS) 1956
On Radio: Bob Keegan (Sox) 1957
Billy Pierce near perfect game 1958, I cried when Ed Fitzgerald doubled with 2 out in the 9th.
On TV: Don Cardwell (Cubs) 1960
Ken Holtzman (Cubs) 1969)
Burt Hooten (Cubs)1972
Milt Pappas (Cubs) 1972
Joe Cowley(Sox) 1986
Wilson Alvarez (Sox) 1991
Mark Buerhle (Sox) 2009

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I was only two when Alvarez threw his no-no, but I well remember both of Buehrle's games.

Johnny Mostil
07-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I never considered Andy Hawkins loss to the Sox to pitch a no-hitter because I've seen other pitchers before and since pitch eight no-hit innings without getting credit for a no-hitter. Even Cowley made it through nine.

So how many hits did Hawkins give up that day?

Medford Bobby
07-24-2009, 06:34 PM
My Dad turned down some free tickets to the Bob Keegan no-hit game......:angry:

TheVulture
07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
The only game I've been to in Baltimore was Alvarez's no hitter. Also attended Jack Morris's 1984 game at Comiskey.

TDog
07-24-2009, 06:45 PM
So how many hits did Hawkins give up that day?

He didn't pitch nine innings. Stan Bahnsen would have a couple of no-hitters if he only had to pitch eight innings. As would Steve Barbar, and that only scratches the surface of the B's.

In fact, in 1967, Steve Barbar pitched 8.2 innings of no-hit baseball against the Tigers, got Yanked by Earl Weaver in favor of Stu Miller, who got the ground ball, but the throw from Aparicio was dropped at second by Bellanger to score the go-ahead run before the next hitter grounded into a forceout.

Steve Barber pitched 8.2 no-hit innings on April 30, 1967, gave up no hits and half as many runs as Hawkins in a game where the opposing team won without getting any hits against his relief, and no one cares that he doesn't get credit for a no-hitter.

Aside from White Sox fans, some Yankees fans and members of Hawkins' extended family, there aren't many people who credit Andy Hawkins with a no-hitter either.

Johnny Mostil
07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
He didn't pitch nine innings. Stan Bahnsen would have a couple of no-hitters if he only had to pitch eight innings. As would Steve Barbar, and that only scratches the surface of the B's.

In fact, in 1967, Steve Barbar pitched 8.2 innings of no-hit baseball against the Tigers, got Yanked by Earl Weaver in favor of Stu Miller, who got the ground ball, but the throw from Aparicio was dropped at second by Bellanger to score the go-ahead run before the next hitter grounded into a forceout.

Steve Barber pitched 8.2 no-hit innings on April 30, 1967, gave up no hits and half as many runs as Hawkins in a game where the opposing team won without getting any hits against his relief, and no one cares that he doesn't get credit for a no-hitter.

Aside from White Sox fans, some Yankees fans and members of Hawkins' extended family, there aren't many people who credit Andy Hawkins with a no-hitter either.

I didn't ask if he pitched nine innings. But as long as you bring it up, please tell me whether Hawkins pitched a complete game. If so, why do you call it that, given, as you noted, he didn't pitch nine innings? If not, then, please, tell me who relieved Hawkins for the Yankees.

Back to the "no-hitter": if it wasn't it wasn't a no-hitter, what was it? A one-hitter? A two-hitter? A twelve-hitter?

The distinction is silly and means nothing to anybody besides Fay Vincent and a few misguided "purists."

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I was born in 1989, so I was at least alive for Alverez's No-No, but clearly do not remember any of it, hell, I don't even remember the strike, lol. I've only watched Buehrle's No-No and Perfecto on t.v.

Soxaholic
07-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I didn't ask if he pitched nine innings. But as long as you bring it up, please tell me whether Hawkins pitched a complete game. If so, why do you call it that, given, as you noted, he didn't pitch nine innings? If not, then, please, tell me who relieved Hawkins for the Yankees.

Back to the "no-hitter": if it wasn't it wasn't a no-hitter, what was it? A one-hitter? A two-hitter? A twelve-hitter?

The distinction is silly and means nothing to anybody besides Fay Vincent and a few misguided "purists."

The Sox had a 3-0 lead, I believe, going into the 9th inning. The Yankees didn't score, so there was no bottom of the 9th. Hawkins pitched 8 innnings without giving up a hit, but due to errors and walks, the Sox won the game.

WhiteSox1989
07-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I have seen two. Both were Mark Buehrle's. And that is why I love him.

Thome25
07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I have seen two. Both were Mark Buehrle's. And that is why I love him.

Sounds like you have some really strong feelings for Mr. Buehrle huh?!:tongue:

WhiteSox1989
07-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you have some really strong feelings for Mr. Buehrle huh?!:tongue:
I really really do! :D: I not only like him as a pitcher, but I like him for his "off the field demeanor" as well.

TDog
07-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Hawkins never had official credit for a no-hitter, just as Melido Perez who pitched a five-inning shutout/complete, never pitched a game recognized by major league baseball as a no-hitter. Baseball keeps a separate list of shortened no-hitters that have never been recognized on the same level. Dean Chance pitched one no-hitter, but he pitched two complete games in which he allowed no hits. The five-inning rain-shortened no-hitter didn't count as a no-hitter.

From 1901, major league baseball credited pitchers with no-hitters only if they pitched nine no-hit innings, win or lose, whether they gave up a hit in extra innings. In 1917, Cubs pitcher Hippo Vaughn and Reds pitcher Fred Toney were both credited with no-hitters after pitching nine scoreless innings in the ultimate pitching duel. Vaughn gave up two hits in the 10th and lost the game to Toney, who retired the side in the 10th.

Ken Brett would have pitched a no-hitter against the Angels in 1976 had Jorge Orta fielded a routine ground ball that was scored (incredibly by all accounts) a hit with two outs in the ninth, although the game was scoreless and he would give up a single to Bill Melton in the bottom of the 10th after the White Sox scored the only run in the game. Of course, Harvey Haddix was credited with a perfect game, which he pitched for 12 innings before there was an error a sacrifice, an intentional walk and a home run that was later ruled a game-ending double.

Vincent took away Hippo Vaughn's no-hitter. Mourn for the Hippo if you wish. He took away Haddix's perfect game. If the White Sox hadn't put Orta at third in 1976, Vincent would have taken away Ken Brett's no-hitter

But Vincent didn't take away Andy Hawkins' no-hitter. He was never credited with one.

ChiSox89
07-25-2009, 01:03 PM
I was at Buehrle's Perfect game. I got the tickets for free too from a friend. It was awesome.

GlassSox
07-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Buehrle 2007