PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best White Sox lineup?

NLaloosh
07-24-2009, 06:53 AM
I was thinking the other day about the Sox lineup when Quentin came back.

Podsednink
Ramirez
Dye
Thome
Konerko
A.J.
Quentin
Getz
Beckham

And, I started to think that I cannot recall the Sox ever having a better overall lineup than they do right now. I love it!

I've been following the Sox since 1970 and this is my favorite lineup top to bottom.

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Any other time I started thinking that in the past, the team started tanking.

Specifically, I remember the early 2006 lineup being hailed as one of the best...not a weak spot in it, expect for maybe BA. But he's going to hit about .250 and the other 8 hitters more than make up for that.

I also remember back in 1992 when the Sox were touted as having the "dream" infield. Thomas, Sax, Guillen, Ventura....All-Stars at all four positions! That sounded good on paper, but Sax turned out to be finished the moment he put on a Sox uniform and Ozzie had a season ending injury in May.

So, no thanks. I'll answer that question after they've had extended success. The lineup certainly looks encouraging, but I want to see them get the job done against the big boys of the AL.

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 12:42 PM
No, I liked 2005 with Thomas at DH.

UofCSoxFan
07-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I still would flip Beckham and Getz. Getz then acts as a second leadoff hitter.

For those that prefer 2005, let's keep in mind that really wasn't that good of an offensive team. We could manufacture runs but Pods wasn't as good as he's playing now, Alexei is better than Iguchi, Konerko and Dye are about the same, Thomas was hurt/declining and Carl Everett wasn't nearly as good as Thome at DH (he has a near .400 on base percentage), Rowand didn't hit for much power (much rather have Quinten), Crede had more power than Beckham but Beckham brings more speed/gap power, and average, AJ is about the same, and Getz is a much more consistant than Uribe.

All in all we're pretty much better or the same at every spot in the order this year.

Rockabilly
07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
83 Sox lineup was the best

With Law, Cruz, Fisk, Kittle, Bull, Baines in the lineup

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
For those that prefer 2005, let's keep in mind that really wasn't that good of an offensive team. We could manufacture runs but Pods wasn't as good as he's playing now, Alexei is better than Iguchi, Konerko and Dye are about the same, Thomas was hurt/declining and Carl Everett wasn't nearly as good as Thome at DH (he has a near .400 on base percentage), Rowand didn't hit for much power (much rather have Quinten), Crede had more power than Beckham but Beckham brings more speed/gap power, and average, AJ is about the same, and Getz is a much more consistant than Uribe.

Well, does the thread mean greatest offensive team, or best team on paper? Because I think that Podsednik's playing this year is kind of an intangable. Otherwise, I think that having Frank Thomas playing on your team is always better on paper. That makes 2005 my favorite lineup (from the beggining of the year), and it's a contender for one of the best.