PDA

View Full Version : Octavio Dotel

KRS1
07-24-2009, 01:21 AM
What are your thought on trading him now? He looks like a good bet to get us type-A FA compensation should we just keep him and offer arb, although with this financial climate he very well could accept it (likely, IMO). Do you think we could get anything substantial for him with the type-A marker, or do you think we're better off keeping him around for the teams success and just hoping he turns down arbitration?

TheVulture
07-24-2009, 01:24 AM
:scratch:I don't think we should be unloading relievers whilst in first place in the 2nd half of the season. We're going to be needing all the arms we can get our hands on.

october23sp
07-24-2009, 01:31 AM
:scratch:I don't think we should be unloading relievers whilst in first place in the 2nd half of the season. We're going to be needing all the arms we can get our hands on.

Especially one of our better relievers IMO, I like him when we get into jams, good at getting out of situations with little or no damage.

KRS1
07-24-2009, 01:34 AM
I've never been a fan, so I guess it's too easy for me to say hell yes if we could manage to pry something good from a team desperate for a pen arm like him.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:37 AM
sometimes I love Octavio and sometimes he really fraustrates me. But he is usually solid, so I say if u can get a really good player in return do it, but dont make a deal just to make a deal.

oeo
07-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Trading any reliever in the middle of a division race isn't very smart. The more relief pitching, the better, if you ask me. Just take a look at what happened to the bullpen down the stretch last year. If anything, Kenny should be looking to add someone.

And count me as one of the few supporters of Octavio. He's inconsistent, but he's been pretty solid overall in his time here. I'd take him back for another year if need be, although Kenny likely views Tony Pena as his replacement.

I've never been a fan, so I guess it's too easy for me to say hell yes if we could manage to pry something good from a team desperate for a pen arm like him.

Are we that desperate to upgrade elsewhere while risking a major screw up in the pen? Keep everyone in the pen, make it stronger if you can. I don't think the Tigers bullpen will hold up down the stretch, we need to make sure ours can.

TomBradley72
07-24-2009, 06:45 AM
It's a really bad idea.

NLaloosh
07-24-2009, 07:02 AM
I don't see where the Sox can afford to trade any pitching right now. They need to be upgrading the pitching if anything.

hawkjt
07-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Never have enough options out of the bullpen...relievers are like women..never know what you will get day to day...just have to hope you have a few guys going well down the stretch..so you need to retain guys that even might get in a groove the last 70 games. Keep him.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I hope the Sox keep him and sign him to a two year deal.

He's a strikeout pitcher and there are times when you need one of those plus you never have enough quality pitching as PHG says.

Lip

pythons007
07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Heck, keep him because he a reliable RP and if he can net us a high draft pick give him arbitration. If he accepts we have a good arm in the pen again. All those options are worth pursuing in a pennant race.

Trading him away would be the worst decision.

russ99
07-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Had Pena shown anything up to now, I'd say take a look around...
But for now, Dotel is needed.

I'm still steamed that Kenny gave up Allen for Pena but let's see how things work out before calling that trade a dud.