PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Perfect! 7/23 Postgame Thread Part II

FarWestChicago
07-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Continue.

:moonwalk:

WhiteSox1989
07-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I have watched the clip of the catch and last out 49058309458 times and get chills each time.

GoGoCrede
07-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Nice to see Buehrle get so much love from ESPN. A good chunk of tonight's show was dedicated to him, of course. I didn't watch the whole thing, but I trust Wise got the web gem...right?!

I love that the 500th post in the thread was about Neutral Milk Hotel. To answer the question, there is not a new album out. I wish.

I wonder if they'll send a picture to the season ticket holders like they did for his first no-hitter? Just makes me want to be a season ticket holder even more.

Someone mentioned in the first thread that their favorite part was Wise looking shocked when he made the catch. It was adorable. Kudos to him.

soltrain21
07-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice to see Buehrle get so much love from ESPN. A good chunk of tonight's show was dedicated to him, of course. I didn't watch the whole thing, but I trust Wise got the web gem...right?!

I love that the 500th post in the thread was about Neutral Milk Hotel. To answer the question, there is not a new album out. I wish.

I wonder if they'll send a picture to the season ticket holders like they did for his first no-hitter? Just makes me want to be a season ticket holder even more.

Someone mentioned in the first thread that their favorite part was Wise looking shocked when he made the catch. It was adorable. Kudos to him.

NMH went crazy after hearing everyone tell him how much his music meant to them. He ended up trying to record every sound ever, or something.

Although I think he played not that long ago somewhere, or made an appearance or something. Vague.

johnnyg83
07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Been forever ... Holland, 1945 is one of the all-timers ...

And ... MB rules!

hi im skot
07-23-2009, 11:35 PM
NMH went crazy after hearing everyone tell him how much his music meant to them. He ended up trying to record every sound ever, or something.

Although I think he played not that long ago somewhere, or made an appearance or something. Vague.

Jeff Mangum played "Engine" at the Elephant 6 Holiday Tour stop at the Bottom Lounge last fall.

Folks have mentioned Buehrle's interview with MLB Network (empty stadium, in street clothes, etc.). Has this been posted online anywhere?

GoGoCrede
07-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Jeff Mangum played "Engine" at the Elephant 6 Holiday Tour stop at the Bottom Lounge last fall.

Folks have mentioned Buehrle's interview with MLB Network (empty stadium, in street clothes, etc.). Has this been posted online anywhere?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5700369

Nice shirt, Burls.

johnnyg83
07-23-2009, 11:37 PM
They showed him in the clubhouse talking to president with his wife and baby next to him on the couch.

soltrain21
07-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Nice shirt, Burls.

Dapper.

Chrisaway
07-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Funny thing. I was at Chris Young's near perfect game last year in Milwaukee and the only hit was a home run by who else but Gabe Kapler. The difference, the Padres didn't have "The" Dewayne Wise.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2009, 11:42 PM
The top three came from tonight's game, and the "top" play was a combo of Wise's catch and the final out for MARK BUEHRLE'S PERFECT GAME!!!

BigP50
07-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I love when a Sox player actually gets some ESPN love

hi im skot
07-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Nice shirt, Burls.

Thanks.

I think I wore that same shirt to a junior high dance.

akingamongstmen
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Hawk really did nail it with his calls late in the game, didn't he? I know that he can be polarizing at times, but I couldn't imagine anybody doing it better:

"YES YES YES YES YES! HISTORY!"

What an unforgetable day! It's a good day to be a Sox fan!

BigP50
07-23-2009, 11:49 PM
I texted my grandpa after it happened and the reply I got was

"I MISSED IT!!! I DIDN'T KNOW THE GAME WAS ON!"

GoGoCrede
07-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks.

I think I wore that same shirt to a junior high dance.

I know this phrase is cliche, but I seriously almost spit my water out reading this. Thanks. :D: He's rocking that collar, isn't he?

You can see Buehrle trying to hold the laughter in after hearing Hawk's call.

I loved it when they showed the Sox dugout after that last out, jumping over the railing and whooping for joy. Love player reaction shots. The Rays dugout was pretty depressing to see. OH WELL!

hi im skot
07-23-2009, 11:53 PM
The Wise interview with MLB Network is great, too.

Wise has pissed me off to no end this season, but he certainly comes off as a pretty decent dude who's playing hard.

As many people have said, Wise has earned himself a free pass for the rest of the season.

I'm glad he got to be a part of the history today.

hi im skot
07-23-2009, 11:54 PM
I know this phrase is cliche, but I seriously almost spit my water out reading this. Thanks. :D: He's rocking that collar, isn't he?

:tiphat:

GoGoCrede
07-23-2009, 11:56 PM
From a Sox/Cubs twitter, I thought this was really cool:

Siren at Billy Goat reserved for great Cub moments was sounded today to honor Buehrle. I (Cubs guy) still am in awe of how great that was.

http://twitter.com/talkchibaseball

october23sp
07-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Well, I had to explain the significance of this to my girlfriend over 50 times today and she still only remembers Gordon Beckhams name and Carlos Quentins.

twinsuck
07-23-2009, 11:57 PM
I texted my grandpa after it happened and the reply I got was

"I MISSED IT!!! I DIDN'T KNOW THE GAME WAS ON!"
lol

twinsuck
07-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, I had to explain the significance of this to my girlfriend over 50 times today and she still only remembers Gordon Beckhams name and Carlos Quentins.
....ugh I would get a new gf. That's if I was a boy and liked girls. :?:

october23sp
07-24-2009, 12:00 AM
According to ESPN and the Elias sports bureau, this is the highest ranking hitting team to ever be a victim of a perfect game. I don't know what exact stats were used so take it for what it's worth.

hi im skot
07-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Well, to be fair, they're both handsome dudes.

october23sp
07-24-2009, 12:01 AM
....ugh I would get a new gf. That's if I was a boy and liked girls. :?:

No, it's rare here when a girl doesn't promise she is going to marry Joe Mauer.:rolleyes:

She's a Sox fan, she has my old Ordonez jersey.:cool:

johnnyg83
07-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Watching SportsCenter and when he kisses his wife and baby I got a little choked up.

Bravo, sir! Bravo! Let's sign him to a lifetime services contract!

johnnyg83
07-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Whitesox just the third team with two perfect games.

october23sp
07-24-2009, 12:11 AM
My favorite clip of the whole day is the Phillies reaction to the Dewayne Wise catch, did anyone else see this?

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 12:11 AM
According to ESPN and the Elias sports bureau, this is the highest ranking hitting team to ever be a victim of a perfect game. I don't know what exact stats were used so take it for what it's worth.
They looked at the amount of runs the team who lost the perfect game had scored in comparison with the rest of the league. Tampa's league ranking in runs scored was higher than any other loser in perfect games.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:12 AM
lol

It was great cuz he was home the whole day

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 12:23 AM

It's also the first time someone pitched a perfect game against the reigning league champions since Don Larson did it against the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1956 World Series.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:29 AM
anyone still in shock?

october23sp
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
anyone still in shock?

I just think it's amazing how things can change in a day. Every new thread is about Buehrle, it's weird to turn to almost any channel and see MY favorite team everywhere.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:32 AM
I just think it's amazing how things can change in a day. Every new thread is about Buehrle, it's weird to turn to almost any channel and see MY favorite team everywhere.

I love it, good to see the White Sox getting some props, I mean Baseball Tonight was pretty much dedicated to MB

october23sp
07-24-2009, 12:34 AM
I love it, good to see the White Sox getting some props, I mean Baseball Tonight was pretty much dedicated to MB

As it should have been, should be to anyone who throws a perfect game. There's not many and it's getting harder and harder to throw one.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:36 AM
As it should have been, should be to anyone who throws a perfect game. There's not many and it's getting harder and harder to throw one.

and its cool that D Wise is getting so much attention after all the Mod edit: DO NOT attempt to get around the language filters he's been through

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 12:36 AM
anyone still in shock?
I can't go to bed just yet.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:37 AM

I had to do summer reading for school but I couldn't because that PERFECT GAME is all that is going through my mind.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
I had to do summer reading for school but I couldn't because that PERFECT GAME is all that is going through my mind.
Hmmm, what are you reading?

JermaineDye05
07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm still speechless.

I heard Hawk on the radio and he said that all the Rays were at the railing of the dugout and tipped their caps to Buehrle before he went back into the clubhouse. Now that's classy right there. Did anyone get a picture of that by any chance?

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Hmmm, what are you reading?

The Natural

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 12:49 AM
The Natural
Screw Roy Hobbs. We saw the real Natural today!

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Screw Roy Hobbs. We saw the real Natural today!

:cool:

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Does anybody recall what you were thinking when that ball came off the bat of Kapler in the 9th. My reactions went from:

Initial Contact: Where's this gonna land?

to

Mid-Flight: Oh crap, this could be anything from a double to a HR

to

Descent: This may go over...

to

Initial catch: Is that a white blur in the mitt of the motion of a man who has just collided with a wall? And if so will he hang on to it?

to

Wise's tumble: He held on to it! He held on to it!

to

Hawk's call: Hawk must have realized his reaction should have been louder, so he decided to cut of Steve Stone mid-sentence.

I love this game.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
My reaction was like:

That balls hit deep, Is Wise gonna catch it, He jumps, GRAB IT, YES!!!!!!!

october23sp
07-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Honestly, when you watch Wise's catch in slow motion, it looks like he is showboating, but in real time it's obvious that it slips out of his glove. He was looking to see if he caught it and, in doing so, the ball slipped out.

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 01:07 AM
I just stared for a second or two seeing if Wise could hang onto it. It didn't look like a sure thing until he stood up.

Baron
07-24-2009, 01:09 AM

Its almost as bad as when the Bears got Cutler.Except I plan on getting some sleep.I couldnt sleep that day.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Honestly, when you watch Wise's catch in slow motion, it looks like he is showboating, but in real time it's obvious that it slips out of his glove. He was looking to see if he caught it and, in doing so, the ball slipped out.

The ump that was closest to it said that if he would have dropped it he would have called the runner safe, how long does the ball have to be in the glove?

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Its almost as bad as when the Bears got Cutler.Except I plan on getting some sleep.I couldnt sleep that day.
Oh, this is bigger than the Cutler trade for me...I got plenty of good sleep that night. The last time I just didn't want to go to bed was during this year's NHL playoffs (of course, you could understand why due to my undying love for the Blackhawks).

TheVulture

Couldn't have been timed any better, right after the POTUS Sox jacket at the All-Star game. That's probably the best run of PR the Sox have ever received.

chisoxfanatic
The ump that was closest to it said that if he would have dropped it he would have called the runner safe, how long does the ball have to be in the glove?
The fielder just has to have COMPLETE control of the ball.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Really, this is the stuff of movies. A struggling player, eager to prove himself, ends up salvaging the perfect game. Another struggling player hits a grand slam to back up his pitcher. And a pitcher and catcher who hadn't worked together much (at all?) end up working together to get the perfect game.

I'd go see this movie.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Really, this is the stuff of movies. A struggling player, eager to prove himself, ends up salvaging the perfect game. Another struggling player hits a grand slam to back up his pitcher. And a pitcher and catcher who hadn't worked together much (at all?) end up working together to get the perfect game.

I'd go see this movie.

u should produce it

i'd watch

SOX LA Mikey
file:///Users/torch/Desktop/BUEHRLE.jpg
Congratulations Mark Buehrle
on Your PERFECT GAME pitching for
the White Sox 7/23/09

I expect to see something like this NEXT time
I visit the Baseball Hall of Fame!

http://www.facebook.com/WhiteSox?ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=2622293&id=707356882&ref=mf

Still can't figure how to upload photos here, so this is a link to my photo on facebook.

chisoxfanatic

I'd go see this movie.
I'm sure you're with me on this one, but I'd love for the next one to be Gavin.

Nellie_Fox
The fielder just has to have COMPLETE control of the ball.Which, on a leaping catch, includes coming down to a landing and holding on to it until you reach into the glove to get it out.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Which, on a leaping catch, includes coming down to a landing and holding on to it until you reach into the glove to get it out.

alright, thanks.

Baron
Oh, this is bigger than the Cutler trade for me...I got plenty of good sleep that night. The last time I just didn't want to go to bed was during this year's NHL playoffs (of course, you could understand why due to my undying love for the Blackhawks).

Lol I understand .....im a HUGE Bears and football fan so that was a very big day for me.

october23sp

I'd go see this movie.

The best stories are saved for real life. I know it's sort of a cliche, but Mark Buehrle is truly an every man. He doesn't look like the guy that has 2 no-hitters one of them being a perfect game.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm sure you're with me on this one, but I'd love for the next one to be Gavin.

I would be beside myself, absolutely beside myself. Get it done, Gavin! Christ, just the thought of it...:bandance:

october23sp
07-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Lol I understand .....im a HUGE Bears fan so that was a very big day for me.

What if Cutler sucks as a Bear? Don't answer, I'm just teasing, I'm a Vikings fan.

BigP50
What if Cutler sucks as a Bear? Don't answer, I'm just teasing, I'm a Vikings fan.

its all about the Packers son

chisoxfanatic
So, is anyone else wearing any Buehrle clothing tomorrow? I know for a fact that I'm wearing my Buehrle t-shirt. I'm glad I finally did the laundry last week.

thomas35forever
07-24-2009, 01:19 AM
So, is anyone else wearing any Buehrle clothing tomorrow? I know for a fact that I'm wearing my Buehrle t-shirt. I'm glad I finally did the laundry last week.
If only I had that jersey! They're so damn expensive though!

october23sp
07-24-2009, 01:20 AM

Wearing my Sox hockey jersey, I don't care how hot it is out.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Lol I understand .....im a HUGE Bears fan so that was a very big day for me.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I was elated about it; but, the Hawks are head-and-shoulders my #1 team in sports. The Bears are my #2; but, this Buehrle PERFECT GAME ranks higher, I guess, because it happened during an actual game instead of a transaction made by management.
its all about the Packers son
My god, where to start. :club:

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:22 AM

My MB56 shirt used to be my "lucky charm" then one game i got so mad I just ripped it in half. Ill just wear the Aj tomorrow

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 01:23 AM
My MB56 shirt used to be my "lucky charm" then one game i got so mad I just ripped it in half. Ill just wear the Aj tomorrow
But AJ didn't even play during Mark Buehrle's PERFECT GAME!!!

I guess that'll teach you a lesson or two about anger management.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:25 AM
But AJ didn't even play during Mark Buehrle's PERFECT GAME!!!

I guess that'll teach you a lesson or two about anger management.

I could wear my Crede......wait not on the team.

Only other one I have is TCQ, and yea, that was like my favorite shirt :(:

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 01:26 AM
I could wear my Crede......wait not on the team.

Only other one I have is TCQ, and yea, that was like my favorite shirt :(:

Hasn't stopped me from wearing my Crede shirt. :cool:

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Hasn't stopped me from wearing my Crede shirt. :cool:

haha, I usually wear it under my jersey during basketball games tho.

october23sp
07-24-2009, 01:28 AM
I have a lucky charm shirt too. It's my 7th grade football team shirt from that year. I realized I was wearing it at a couple big moments, notably Graffanino's error, then I next wore it for game 2 of the ALCS, wearing it for Game 2 of the World Series, wasn't wearing it game 3 of World Series and put it on right before the fifth inning, wore it last year under my football uniform when the Tigers and Sox played to force game 163.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 01:30 AM
If only I had that jersey! They're so damn expensive though!
Yea, I know they are. I bought my Konerko authentic for over $300. Add the two patches that are on the sleeves (WS and WS Champs), and that thing in total cost me about $350!

Buehrle definitely would be my next jersey; but, I'd probably get a replica or one of those jerseys made for females (no, not a pink one, but the ones that are a little more petite and seem to be more reasonably priced).

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:31 AM
MY MB56 shirt led the Sox to a 14-0 record until the day that I ripped it :(: plus I noticed that good things just kept happening whil I was wearing.

johnnyg83
07-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Drafted in the 38th round ... a HR, a World Series ring, multiple ALL-STAR appearances, two no hitters and a Perfect Game .. baseball I love you. You are the consummate American game.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Drafted in the 38th round ... a HR, a World Series ring, multiple ALL-STAR appearances, two no hitters and a Perfect Game .. baseball I love you. You are the consummate American game.

the way he handles himself, he is the perfect example of what a baseball player should be like.

doublem23
07-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Buehrle definitely would be my next jersey; but, I'd probably get a replica or one of those jerseys made for females (no, not a pink one, but the ones that are a little more petite and seem to be more reasonably priced).

I've heard those don't fit quite right. Ms. Doub wanted a Sox jersey and we ended up settling on getting her a Male Youth Large. It fits her well and actually looks like a baseball jersey.

Go to Grandstand and check the way the women's jerseys fit before you plunk down some cash on them.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 01:58 AM
I've heard those don't fit quite right. Ms. Doub wanted a Sox jersey and we ended up settling on getting her a Male Youth Large. It fits her well and actually looks like a baseball jersey.

Go to Grandstand and check the way the women's jerseys fit before you plunk down some cash on them.
Was there a price difference between the two jerseys?

You know, I just realized that we never heard Hawk say "You can cancel the postgame show!" I wonder why...:wink:

doublem23
07-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Was there a price difference between the two jerseys?

You know, I just realized that we never heard Hawk say "You can cancel the postgame show!" I wonder why...:wink:

I can't remember how much the women's jerseys cost, once she tried on the kids' large that was that. The jersey plus the customization ended up costing around $150 plus tax at Grandstand.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
so im flipping through my Ipod and trying to figure out which song makes me think ok MB today and I came up with HEART OF A CHAMPION by Nelly

WhiteSox1989
07-24-2009, 06:11 AM
The reaction in the Phillies clubhouse is awesome.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-24-2009, 07:11 AM
You gotta love Carl.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/3751380097_64d45f2f45_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28450386@N03/3751380097/)

spawn
07-24-2009, 08:06 AM

I'd go see this movie.
It's kinda been made already. If you haven't seen it, watch "For the Love of the Game". Kevin Costner plays a pitcher approaching retirement, and he flirts with a perfect game. An outfielder makes an HR robbing catch. The movie isn't exaclty as things played out yesterday though, so maybe a remake can be made using MB. :tongue:

BoysMom3
07-24-2009, 09:14 AM
You gotta love Carl.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/3751380097_64d45f2f45_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28450386@N03/3751380097/)

That. Is. Great. Thanks for posting it, RedHead!!! Love it!!!!

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
You gotta love Carl.

This is the most beautiful thing ever. Kudos, Carl, you've done it again.

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Here are perfect game "firsts" from yesterday:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/mark-buehrle-tidbits-from-elias-sports-bureau.html

Interesting that there has never been a grand slam hit in a perfect game before.

BoysMom3
07-24-2009, 01:16 PM
This is really cool - I just got back from our local Dairy Queen. One of Ben Zobrist's first cousins was there, along with the husband of another first cousin. I'm decked out in my Sox gear today (they already know I'm a Sox fan,) and I went up to talk to them. They got all animated right away saying what a great game, what a great accomplishment, etc. They're lifelong Cards fans, but of course now, they're more about the Rays. They said as the game progressed they knew the Rays weren't going to win, and they were totally cheering for Buehrle. They went on to say what a rare thing it was because he also has a no-hitter and a World Series save and how he was up there with the best of 'em. Just a fun little encounter. :smile: