PDA

View Full Version : Does this make Buehrle a HOFer?

jabrch
07-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Discuss...

DSpivack
07-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Nope.

Dibbs
07-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I think he needs to finish this contract plus another ten years of 15+ wins to be considered for the hall.

thomas35forever
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
He's got a long way to go. Let's just be happy about what he did today.

sullythered
07-23-2009, 11:49 PM
The thread title and poll question are different. Thread title says does this make Buehrle a hall of famer, then the poll is will he make the hall. Two different questions. I think Burls has a pretty good chance at huge longevity, and if he does that, he could make it. I don't think these two accomplishments, while historic, will cement a spot.

voodoochile
07-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Because he has 2 no no's including the perfect today and a WS win and save he probably won't need as many wins as you might otherwise expect. If he can get to 220-230 he should get in. It's a question of whether he will stick around long enough to do it.

jabrch
I think he needs to finish this contract plus another ten years of 15+ wins to be considered for the hall.

I'd be shocked if that happens. I can't see him pitching 12 more years, and winning 185+ more games.

gosox3072
He could retire after the end of this year and he would be a hall of famer. What else does he have to accomplish? Maybe a cy young? I think a ring, no hitter, and a perfect game gets you in.

gobears1987
07-23-2009, 11:51 PM
He still needs more wins. If he plays out this contract and one more 4-5 year contract, then he'll have over 200 wins. If Buehrle has that, he's in with his other accomplishments.

tacosalbarojas
07-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Agree that he needs more wins. But also he's a lot closer to the Hall than most of the MLB's gen pop. Not only that, MB is now only the sixth pitcher in MLB history with a no-hitter and a perfect game. The others - Young, Joss, Johnson, Koufax, and Bunning are all in the Hall.

gobears1987
07-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Here's another point, there is a good chance this isn't his last no-hitter. He's had two or three other close calls. He's a few pitches away from having not just 3 no hitters, but three perfect games at this point in his career. He'll get at least one more no-no.

johnnyg83
07-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Buehrls could pitch another ten years ... a la Glavine. Glavine won 166 games after he was 30.

LongLiveFisk
07-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Buehrls could pitch another ten years ... a la Glavine. Glavine won 166 games after he was 30.

But he doesn't want to; that's the problem. I'll be happy if he has another successful five.

But you never know about the retirement thing. He might pull a Brett Favre. :dunno:

esbrechtel
07-24-2009, 12:39 AM
because he has 2 no no's including the perfect today and a ws win and save he probably won't need as many wins as you might otherwise expect. If he can get to 220-230 he should get in. It's a question of whether he will stick around long enough to do it.

+1

kevingrt
07-24-2009, 12:46 AM
He has a great chance to get to 250 wins or so in his career. If he can get around there and continue with a low ERA and being mostly consistent with 200+ innings he has to be in because he would be one of the most consistent #1 starters during the era. Add to the fact that he has never been mentioned in a roids debate and he gets along with every media member he meets he would be a lock.

But he has talked about in the past not pitching much longer then his contract so I do not really know if a Hall of Fame bid is a goal of his. But I hope a 2009 World Series is a goal of his.

HomeFish
07-24-2009, 12:48 AM
He is not a HoF'er and probably won't be unless he improves as he ages.

johnnyg83
07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
But he doesn't want to; that's the problem. I'll be happy if he has another successful five.

But you never know about the retirement thing. He might pull a Brett Favre. :dunno:

I know. I've heard him. Things change though. Get a good young team that wins (and I think we have that possibility in the next few years) and he may want to be a part of it and be more of a legendary White Sox.

Hanging it up always sounds good until you do it.

TheVulture
07-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Name a guy with 2 no-no's and a perfecto?

Cy Young, Jim Bunning, Sandy Koufax, Randy Johnson...

and Mark-mother****ing-Buehrle.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Seeing how 300 wins pretty much automatically gets you into the HOF, and how Buehrle only has 132 wins, he's got a ways to go. However, since he is a good post-season starter, has a world series ring, has two no-hitter, and is a all around nice guy, he'll probably be safe with ~230-260, which he can do.

ode to veeck
07-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Here's another point, there is a good chance this isn't his last no-hitter. He's had two or three other close calls. He's a few pitches away from having not just 3 no hitters, but three perfect games at this point in his career. He'll get at least one more no-no.

Like the short list of only 6 current and future (Johnson) HOFers that threw both a no no and perfection, there's only 5 HOFers have more than 2: Ryan, Koufax, Feller, Corcoran, and Cy Young. If Burly Mon throw's another no no, he'd most likely be a shoe in. Burly's only 30 ... maybe the idea will help keep him pitching a few more years - he can still hit the deer blinds in the offseason.

ode to veeck
07-24-2009, 05:05 AM

you mean the miracle's over?

ode to veeck
07-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Seeing how 300 wins pretty much automatically gets you into the HOF, and how Buehrle only has 132 wins, he's got a ways to go. However, since he is a good post-season starter, has a world series ring, has two no-hitter, and is a all around nice guy, he'll probably be safe with ~230-260, which he can do.

the perfection and the no no will make the wins bar a lot lower, Senator Jim Bunning got in one one perfecto and 220ish wins

hawkjt
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
the perfection and the no no will make the wins bar a lot lower, Senator Jim Bunning got in one one perfecto and 220ish wins

Will it get MB into the Senate? He would be much better than Bunning.
If Mark wins another 100 games over the rest of his career, he should be in.
He leads all pitchers in wins and innings the last 8 years, and if continues that ..he would have to be considered the dominant pitcher of this decade,imo. Other guys get hurt...Maddux and Burls do not.

Chez
07-24-2009, 10:46 AM
He needs 250 career wins to even be considered. The fact that neither Kaat nor Blyleven are in with 280+ should tell you something.

Procol Harum
07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
He needs 250 career wins to even be considered. The fact that neither Kaat nor Blyleven are in with 280+ should tell you something.

The difference is that today 17 is the new 20, and by the time Buehrle becomes eligible there will be a new generation of voters for the HOF who would have grown up with pitch counts, 5-man rotations, and 6-inning starts and redefined the criteria for greatness in starting pitchers.

That said, I think 250 would be the minimum he'd need and at his current pace that would be pretty hard to come by in the next seven years--I'd have to rank him in that subset of ballplayers Dan Bernstein has dubbed "the very good for a long time", but not HOF worthy.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Can we put to rest the stupid "Buehrle is not a true #1 starter" propaganda?

soxfanreggie
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
If he can keep pitching like he has this year, he has a good shot at the Cy Young. A Cy Young and more than five more years pitching with some more All-Star seasons and he's well on his way to consideration for it. I just don't know if I see him pitching long enough to make it, and I'm not sure if he would be motivated to long enough.

I can only be selfish as a Sox fan in hoping that Mark stays on the Southside for many more years. I hope they're willing to break their contract "standards" with him to keep him here with a nice 5 or 6 year deal.

soxfanreggie
07-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I think that makes him the durable pitcher of the decade, but there are many other pitchers out there that could be considered "most dominant".

35th and Shields
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
If Buehrle goes out and pitches a two hit shutout yesterday are we even having this disscusion? No, he needs to do more.

Perfect games are very special and I think Mark could be in the HOF one day but he's going to have to get about 240 or 250 to get in........or maybe a few more perfect games :tongue:

Red Barchetta
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Name a guy with 2 no-no's and a perfecto?

Cy Young, Jim Bunning, Sandy Koufax, Randy Johnson...

and Mark-mother****ing-Buehrle.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

That is impressive and if you add a WS ring/victory to that list it goes down to three; Young, Koufax and Buehrle. That's it!

However, IMO, those three things alone do not qualify you for the HOF. You could be a great pitcher during one lucky season and accomplish this. Mark did all three in 4.5 seasons. He needs more wins to be in the HOF.

ode to veeck
07-24-2009, 05:13 PM

neither is Tommy John with similar wins, but the perfecto and the no no could really lower that bar to close to 200Ws

sox1970
07-24-2009, 05:15 PM
He's not going to the Hall because he doesn't want to play that long.

But he's secured a retired number and a statue.

aryzner
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Needs more to be considered for HOF.

But I am thinking his number will eventually be retired by the Sox. That's not too crazy is it?

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Maybe if he keeps on going.

4 points
07-25-2009, 07:00 AM
After reading the 1st choice in the poll, I have come to the conclusion that someone never heard of Sandy Koufax :scratch::scratch::whiner::whiner:

Eddo144
07-25-2009, 10:45 AM
After reading the 1st choice in the poll, I have come to the conclusion that someone never heard of Sandy Koufax :scratch::scratch::whiner::whiner:
Or Randy Johnson, Jim Bunning, Addie Joss, and Cy Young.

ode to veeck
07-25-2009, 11:39 AM

Or Randy Johnson, Jim Bunning, Addie Joss, and Cy Young.

that's the point, its a very very short list of some of the very best guys ever to stand on the mound