PDA

View Full Version : When did you start to realize it?

thomas35forever
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
My heart started pounding during the fifth inning.

JB98
07-23-2009, 07:36 PM
My heart started pounding during the fifth inning.

When he was through seven, I figured he had a shot. I never take it seriously until a guy gets into the eighth.

SoxFan1979
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
6th inning I felt he was going to get the no no but perfect game woooooo!

Soxman219
07-23-2009, 07:45 PM
7th inning

BRDSR
07-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I noticed after the 5th...I got a little excited after the 6th. I didn't get anything done at work from the end of the 7th until I left.

cbone
07-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Going into the 7th for me. 9 outs, he can do this..............:gulp:

VeeckAsInWreck
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
For me it was the 8th inning. I was listening at work on the radio and after that 8th inning, I was telling everyone about it.

That 9th inning was one of the most exciting innings I can remember since 2005 (El Duque's 6th in Boston and the 9th in Houston during Game 4)

After that last out I was running around telling everyone that he'd done it.

What a day! :bandance:

LITTLE NELL
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Going into the 7th for me. 9 outs, he can do this..............:gulp:
Same with me.

kevingrt
07-23-2009, 07:58 PM
3rd inning I called my biggest Sox fan friend (Soxtalk kid) and told him this could be something special

5th inning I called my other friend who is a huge Sox fan

7th inning I was pacing

(Bottom 7 I go to work)

8th inning I called my mom and dad and anyone I knew had an interest in baseball

9th inning I'm pacing at work pissing my pants watching the game as customers stare in awe at the amazement of my devotion and obsession

End of the 9th I go nuts

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
After the 5th when Hawk said, "That is 15 up, 15 down!"

BigP50
07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
after the 4th, I just got this feeling

mccoydp
07-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Seventh inning, for sure.

BigP50
07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I had a really bad feeling when Longoria and Pena came up to bat.

Jim Shorts
07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
When Farmer said "and Buehrle's perfect through six"

pdimas
07-23-2009, 08:32 PM
after the 4th, I just got this feeling

Ditto. I was at the game and there was a buzz in the stands from the 6th inning on. People were already starting to be very vocal and cheered on outs from the 6th and on. The fans were really into it. It was really something special to behold. Even Farmio said that it almost felt like a playoff atmosphere.

pdimas
07-23-2009, 08:34 PM
One of my buddies was telling me a story then midway through looks back at the scoreboard then begins to tell me something so I look at him wink, smile and asked him to please go on and finish the story :smile:. He came this close to breaking the no-no code of omerta :tongue:.

Kogs35
07-23-2009, 08:34 PM
after the 3rd

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-23-2009, 08:37 PM
After my co-worker called my boss and told him "Mark Buehrle pitched a perfect game." I knew the Sox were winning, as I get text message updates, but I had no idea that Buehrle was pitching a perfect game until the game was over.

I was half-elated, half-infuriated. Elated for obvious reasons, and infuriated because I missed it live because of stupid work.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-23-2009, 08:41 PM
After my co-worker called my boss and told him "Mark Buehrle pitched a perfect game." I knew the Sox were winning, as I get text message updates, but I had no idea that Buehrle was pitching a perfect game until the game was over.

I was half-elated, half-infuriated. Elated for obvious reasons, and infuriated because I missed it live because of stupid work.

I was at work today too but had the luxury of listening on the radio. However for his No-hitter in 2007 I was at work and nowhere near a radio. I didn't know about it until my phone got flooded with texts telling me about the no-hitter. I too felt like you where I was happy for Mark but upset that I missed it because of work.

Still though, even if you watch the replay it is still exciting.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I was at work today too but had the luxury of listening on the radio. However for his No-hitter in 2007 I was at work and nowhere near a radio. I didn't know about it until my phone got flooded with texts telling me about the no-hitter. I too felt like you where I was happy for Mark but upset that I missed it because of work.

Still though, even if you watch the replay it is still exciting.

Believe me, if I had an avenue of watching/listening to the game and finding out what was going on, I'd probably have faked sick around the 5th inning:D:

I have the DVR set for 2 A.M. on CSN, and will watch it the first chance I get.

The no-hitter, I missed because of class.

gobears1987
07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
4th inning, I even posted in the gameday thread that I just hit record on my DVR

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=3300

Huisj
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
In the 5th inning, I noticed it and thought "wouldn't it be crazy if. . . ", but didn't really take it all that seriously.

After the 6th inning I starting getting pretty distracted at work.

Going into the 8th I was glued to the computer.

BubblingCalderon
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
After Upton went one pitch one out in the 1st I thought about it. In the 2nd after 6 up 6 down I thought No hitter... But I always do that... I didn't take my thoughts seriously untill after 7.

soxfanreggie
07-23-2009, 09:27 PM
5th inning when I realized he was perfect, I knew if he made it through the line-up twice-just that feeling he would make it a third time.

CWS44
07-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I heard the first two innings on the radio while I was running errands at lunch time, and was all excited about Fields' grand slam. Went back to the office and periodically checked the score on the website. In the 6th, I thought, "wow, no hitter going" so I took out my radio. DJ and Farmer were dropping hints, so I opened up Gameday and looked at all of the Rays at bats, inning by inning, then my stomach got all tied up in knots and I was jittery. I couldn't concentrate on work at all, and I was too afraid to tell anyone what was going on. Once the game ended, people found out fast, the work phone and cell phone were ringing, text message alerts going off... what a great day!

eastchicagosoxfan
07-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I saw the Rays hadn't gotten a hit after two.

I came back to the game after four and saw that the Rays were still hitless.

After the sixth, the Rays were being no hit. I was glued to my PC.

For the 9th, my partner and I (he's a classy Cub fan) turned on the TV in our office. In 10 years it was first time it was ever on for something other than work (sans 9-11).

HomeFish
07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
I was at the game and suspected it during the 5th. When the last out of the 5th inning was recorded, I glanced at the scoreboard and it was confirmed.

My friend, who was sitting next to me, noticed it the next inning and said something out loud. I sat in silence.

HomeFish
07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
For those at home, did ESPN turn to it?

chisox616
07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I didn't even get to watch it till the 9th. Was working on the Deck outside and my dad ran down and grabbed me when it came on MLB Network...

...we don't get CSN in MO obviously. Wow that was awesome though, I'm so glad I at least got to see the last three outs.

OldRomanPizza
07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
For those at home, did ESPN turn to it?

Yes....Hawk was heard on ESPN! :redneck:redneck

I watched most of this one, being that I spent most of the day waiting to hear back from an auto shop.

I tuned in during the bottom of the second and saw the Fields grand slam. When Buehrle got the three guys out in the third, I was like....wow, great way to start the game.

After 5 I was thinking of Danks' effort against the Red Sox last year, where he was perfect though 5, I want to say.

During the 6th and 7th I was more curious as to how long he could go before he walked someone or somebody got a it.

Once he got the final out in the 7th I started getting nervous, and more to the point, I started almost hating the fact that I am about to invest HUGE energy into something that could possibly rip my heart out. Buehrle is by far my favorite White Sox pitcher of all time, and perhaps even my favorite player. To see him get a perfect game in addition to the no hitter in addition to the World Series ring would just be fantastic, for lack of a better word. Plus, this is yet another thing to hold above out Cub fans friends. :tongue:

So it was after 7 innings where this great anxiety hit me, as I knew how much sheer happiness the feat would bring to me, and I knew how once you realize that fact, if it doesn't happen, it feels just as bad as a loss in a big game.

I still expected someone (Zobrist in particular) to break it up in the 8th, but when he got through that, I felt it was going to be his day with history.

Like everyone, I thought he lost it on the first batter in the 9th, and then I feared the magnitude of that play was going to cause Buehrle to lose focus on the next batter. I felt horrible on 3-1 but somehow he pulled it off. After that it was just a formality!! I was definitely just as intense during the final inning today as I was during all the big games back in 05.

So, on a getaway day in July 2009, that little kid in all of us gets to come out once again and say "this is why I follow sports and this is why I am a White Sox fan".

Today was the first time watching the Sox where I felt I was watching a living legend get born, and he wears #56 for our Sox.:smile:

voodoochile
07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I was kind of aware of it all along. I definitely checked the box score after 3 to see if I'd missed a walk and to check on Mark's pitch count.

I remember thinking, "Nice first inning, very sharp" after the top of the first, but I've seen those before and it hasn't turned into a perfect game or really anything spectacular other than a nice win or even a loss.

I wasn't really nervous at all, I followed my usual routine. I was just kind of lounging on the couch and had "The Man from Snowy River" on AMC while I watched the game on my laptop. As per usual, I sat up for the ninth preparing to stand if the game got to two outs and two strikes. I never got the chance, but when the final groundball left the bat, I could feel the emotion welling up inside me and I completely lost it after PK caught the throw. Memory of a lifetime I tell you.

voodoochile
07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
One of my buddies was telling me a story then midway through looks back at the scoreboard then begins to tell me something so I look at him wink, smile and asked him to please go on and finish the story :smile:. He came this close to breaking the no-no code of omerta :tongue:.

That code got stomped and trampled on in the game day thread. Gotta love Sox fans...

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I could feel the emotion welling up inside me and I completely lost it after PK caught the throw. Memory of a lifetime I tell you.

However, your memory of a lifetime would be a wrong memory.

Josh Fields was at first today :tongue:

voodoochile
07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
However, your memory of a lifetime would be a wrong memory.

Josh Fields was at first today :tongue:

LOL! Yeah, but it won't be the final out I'll remember. Thanks for putting it straight though. You'd think I'd remember that the guy who hit the grand slam was in the game...:redface:

TornLabrum
07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Here are my thoughts after the Rays' ABs:
1st inning: I noticed he had good stuff.
2nd inning: I was thinking, "He's got really good stuff."
3rd inning: "Hmmm...Wouldn't it be cool if..."
5th inning: I turned to the guy sitting next to me and said, "Now it gets interesting." At this point I was thinking at least no-hitter and was allowing the idea of a perfect game to creep into my head.
After the 6th inning, I began counting down the batters left that Buehrle had to face.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-23-2009, 10:34 PM
LOL! Yeah, but it won't be the final out I'll remember. Thanks for putting it straight though. You'd think I'd remember that the guy who hit the grand slam was in the game...:redface:

It's all good....like I said, I didn't even know that there was a perfect game going on until after the fact. So I missed all of the build-up :(:

Sadly, I caught a grand total of 0 minutes of both his no-no and his perfect game combined as they happened. Both times, I never knew what happened until the game was over. What luck, huh?

tebman
07-23-2009, 10:38 PM
For me it was after the 4th. My son and I were at the game today -- it was funny, too, because this was the 13th game I had to pick when I bought my Ozzie Plan 13-game package back in December. I picked it up as kind of a blowoff, thinking that since it was a day game I might let somebody else use the tickets.

We got to the park and got stuck in a long, slow line on Stewart Street next to the railroad viaduct off Pershing. The parking lot crew had things gummed up and were painfully slow getting cars in. We got on the concourse just as the national anthem was playing and I was annoyed. But then the game began and Buehrle was his usual efficient self, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, in the first couple of innings.

After the 4th I looked at my scorecard and realized how tidy it was and thought, nah, he couldn't do it again...could he? Could he? Then the 5th ane 6th passed and everybody around us gave knowing looks to each other.

After the 7th I knew somehow that he was going to do it. Just watching him put away the Rays without breaking a sweat, I felt as comfortable with Buehrle on the mound as I would riding on a plane with an experienced pilot in the cockpit. In the 8th everybody seemed to be breathing together and the excitement grew. Not tension, just excitement.

In the 9th I watched Wise make the catch off the wall as if in a dream. It was somehow not real and I found myself staring at the umpire in center with his fist up before I could say anything. There was no going back after that. It was just a matter of a few more pitches, and Buehrle did what he had to do just as he's done so many times before.

What a great feeling. After I sleep it off I'll remember more details. God, I love baseball.

FielderJones
07-23-2009, 10:52 PM
At work, I had CBS Sportsline in one tab and the gamethread in another. After the 4th I thought that Buehrle had been making it look almost effortless. After the 5th I started thinking he might have a chance. After the 6th I decided that if he got through the 7th, I was going to go down to the Exchequer and catch the last two innings. When he finished the 7th, I walked to the elevator and did just that. I sat down at the bar and ordered a beer, the first adult beverage I've had during working hours in about 20 years; I was that nervous. The bar got really loud when Mark finished the 8th. In the 9th, I was a little nervous to see Wise inserted in center, and pleasantly surprised and thrilled to see him take a good route and catch that possible home run. When Alexei made that throw and the bar exploded, it was one fine day to be a Sox fan.

WhiteSox1989
07-23-2009, 10:54 PM
In the Gamethread, I said I wouldn't get excited until he got past the 7th.

But truthfully, my heart was pounding since the 5th.

As the innings went on-and I know this sounds lame-but towards when the 8th hit I was literally shaking. People were sending me texts, and I just ignored every single one of them. I wouldn't move or talk to anyone.

My dad and I were watching it in separate rooms, as soon as the Fields caught the ball I immediately went to go pee, and then went to see my dad and he was so freaking happy. I don't think I have seen him that happy in a long time.

twinsuck
07-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I when I started listening to it on the radio driving home from work, it was the 5th inning.

soltrain21
07-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi I'm Skot looked over at me in the first inning and said that it looks like Mark brought his A-game.

Once he got out of the sixth is when I thought it could happen.

WisSoxFan
07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
I had the last day of basketball camp today. It was supposed to go until 3:30, but I told the kids yesteray we were going to finish up at 3:00 just because it was the last day and it's been a long two weeks. When I got to my car to head to the golf course (about a five minute ride) the Sox were just finishing up in the bottom of the 8th and Farmio says something along the lines of "come on back for the 9th. You never know when you might see something special." And I'm thinking "why would he be so excited about the prospect of the Rays scoring 6 in the 9th" and then it hit me that MB might have a no-no going. I didn't know what the Rays line-up was so I had no idea it was a perfect game until Farmer said it after the last out. In fact he never said it was a no hitter, but I had figured that out just by the roar of the crowd and the excitement in Farmer and DJ's voices. I listened to the last two out in the golf course parking lot not knowing they had the game on in the clubhouse. I should have guessed. Even though we are in SW Wisconsin there are a bunch of Sox fans at our course. I only heard four outs for the entire game and it still gave me chills. I blame Beurhle for my ****ty round of golf. :redface:

voodoochile
07-23-2009, 11:03 PM
In the Gamethread, I said I wouldn't get excited until he got past the 7th.

But truthfully, my heart was pounding since the 5th.

As the innings went on-and I know this sounds lame-but towards when the 8th hit I was literally shaking. People were sending me texts, and I just ignored every single one of them. I wouldn't move or talk to anyone.

My dad and I were watching it in separate rooms, as soon as the Fields caught the ball I immediately went to go pee, and then went to see my dad and he was so freaking happy. I don't think I have seen him that happy in a long time.

I went back and read the gamethread afterwards. Your posts were absolutely killing me...:D:

DSpivack
07-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Friend called me saying the Sox were up 5-0 in the 8th [he was leaving work, checked the score on his phone]. Didn't even know it was a day game today, but I was home [just got home from Comcast and had connected a new cable box to the tv] so turned it on, was the bottom of the 8th at that point. Watched the 9th, called back the friend, who had no idea that it was more than a shutout. I only saw 3 outs, but what a half-inning that was. I'll have to watch the replay or download it later.

WhiteSox1989
07-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I went back and read the gamethread afterwards. Your posts were absolutely killing me...:D:
Dude, I really had to pee!! But I absolutely could not move.

soxgirl617
07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I was lucky enough to be at the game today! Absolutely unbelievable! My friend was keeping score, and at the end of the 4th he said, with emphasis, "Mark hasn't walked anyone yet". I knew what he was getting at. After the 5th inning, I thought "this might happen". It got more and more exciting each inning, and after the 6th the excitement was palpable in the stands. It got to the point where I didn't care if the Sox got a hit, just to get the inning over and move back to Mark on the mound! (Never thought I'd say that!)

By the 8th, and into the 9th, it was almost surreal. Except for the 2005 playoffs, I've never been so excited and happy at a baseball game. I also love that all my baseball fan friends, whether Cub, Sox, or other, get how exicting, important, and rare this day was. Fantastic!

ChiSoxGirl
07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I had a feeling in the sixth. I texted my uncle in San Diego and my friend in Florida (who has Buehrle on his fantasy team) and said, "FYI, Buehrle's doing something incredible through six. Check it out of you can...." My uncle called me after the eighth and said he went driving around on lunch so he could hear the game on his XM. My friend in Florida got the Sun Sports feed, so he got to see it!

esbrechtel
07-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I noticed after the 5th...I got a little excited after the 6th. I didn't get anything done at work from the end of the 7th until I left.

same here...

cheezheadsoxfan
07-23-2009, 11:39 PM
I was having a garage sale and had the radio on but couldn't go in the house to the TV. I texted a friend to ask how Buehrle looked and he says "KICKASS" and I start thinking ...could it be?

8th inning I'm trying to shut down the garage sale, this guy is trying to buy something, I'm telling him take it because I have to get back in the house because Burls is pitching a perfect game. He was foreign born so I don't think he quite got the significance. :redneck

What I wonderful day.:bandance:

soltrain21
07-23-2009, 11:42 PM
In the seventh I decided to call my brother and he goes, "Don't worry, buddy. I got it on."

I followed up with, "Okay, that's cool. Well - I'm here."

oeo
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
The kid behind me mentioned something about a no-hitter in the second inning, so I was watching closely from then on. I didn't really start getting the butterflies until about the fifth.

hi im skot
07-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi I'm Skot looked over at me in the first inning and said that it looks like Mark brought his A-game.

Once he got out of the sixth is when I thought it could happen.

Guilty.

Of course, I didn't expect it to be his A++++++ game.

jshanahanjr
07-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I felt it in the 5th inning. I was lucky enough to be there today along with Mark's first no hitter, so I knew he would do it again. It was awesome! Mark has pitched some great games in the last 9 seasons. The ones that stand out are the 1 hitter in 2001 vs. TB, 2004 1 hitter vs. the Tribe, 2005 Opening Day, 2005 vs. the M's, 2005 ALCS, 2005 Game 3 save, 2007 no-hitter, and the Perfect Game. Does anybody else have any memories of Mark?

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Damn, how have so many people been to both Buehrle no-hitters? :o:

That's luck, not only for Buehrle, but for you guys.

I've only witnessed them on TV.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Damn, how have so many people been to both Buehrle no-hitters? :o:

That's luck, not only for Buehrle, but for you guys.

I've only witnessed them on TV.

I think some of these same people have also been to the blackout game and at least one playoff game. Some people have all the luck. :tongue: I can't complain, because being at the blackout game was beyond my wildest dreams.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I think some of these same people have also been to the blackout game and at least one playoff game. Some people have all the luck. :tongue: I can't complain, because being at the blackout game was beyond my wildest dreams.
I agree! My only "better" moment than attending the Blackout game was attending ALCS Game 2.

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:06 AM
The most memorable game ive been to is when Jim Thome got his 2,000th hit.

stockonline2
07-24-2009, 01:47 AM
I called my dad after the 8th inning was completed and he answered "Don't you say a word!"

I attended a game with my dad early in Buehrle's career where he was no-hitting the Devil Rays pretty late in the game - I wasn't aware of the superstition and mentioned it. The hitter at bat immediately laced out a single.

You can be sure I never mentioned the words "no hitter" until the 27th out today. :D:

BigP50
07-24-2009, 01:50 AM
after Hawk told us to call people I called my sister who is Boston right now and she replied

" I dont care"

lol

Boondock Saint
07-24-2009, 03:20 AM
I texted all my Sox fan buddies after the fifth, "Mark Buehrle is looking very special through five innings." After the eighth, all my buddies got the text, "Mark Buehrle is three outs away from making history."