PDA

View Full Version : Matt Holliday to the Cards...

JermaineDye05
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
At least that's what Stoney's twitter is reporting:

it looks like the st Louis Cardinals will make a deal for oaklands Matt Holliday. The asking price is former 1st round draft Brett Wallace

this is only what I got from Twitter so nothing official which is why this is in "what's the score?"

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true though. That's some pretty good protection for Albert with Holliday and Derosa.

DirtySox
07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
That was the rumor that was floating around earlier today. I do think the Cards need Pujols protection but I'm not sure Holliday is worth Wallace. I was looking forward to the kid's debut with the Cards. :(:

I suppose one has to take into consideration the potential draft picks the Cards will get if he walks.

russ99
07-23-2009, 08:53 PM
That was the rumor that was floating around earlier today. I do think the Cards need Pujols protection but I'm not sure Holliday is worth Wallace. I was looking forward to the kid's debut with the Cards. :(:

I suppose one has to take into consideration the potential draft picks the Cards will get if he walks.

Plus Holliday's having an awful year. Seems too much to give up in terms of talent and salary, especially since he's a almost definitely a rental with Boras representing him.

GAsoxfan
07-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Plus Holliday's having an awful year. Seems too much to give up in terms of talent and salary, especially since he's a almost definitely a rental with Boras representing him.

Awful year? He's batting .287 with a .379 OBP in a new league. The power is down, but it's in line with his career road splits, so people should have expected that.

I'm not sure what other prospects would be included, but if it's basically a one for one (with maybe a couple mid-level guys) I'll take the guy with a top 35 OBP (in the majors, not just the AL) any day of the week.

mzh
07-23-2009, 11:14 PM

Holliday is having an "awful" year in easily the worse hitter's park in baseball. After moving from the best in baseball to the worst, I'm not surprised his number took a big hit. He should be right at home in St. Louis.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-24-2009, 02:20 AM
Pujols, Holliday, Ludwick, DeRosa, Molina, and Rasmus make this a very solid offense.

With Molina behind the plate and the acquisition of a great defensive shortstop in Julio Lugo, these guys are getting very serious.

Their rotation isn't too shabby with Carpenter and Wainwright at the top.

And oh yeah, they have a manager and a pitching coach that can take any average joe and turn them into reliable/productive pitchers.

chisox616
07-24-2009, 03:03 AM
Pujols, Holliday, Ludwick, DeRosa, Molina, and Rasmus make this a very solid offense.

With Molina behind the plate and the acquisition of a great defensive shortstop in Julio Lugo, these guys are getting very serious.

Their rotation isn't too shabby with Carpenter and Wainwright at the top.

And oh yeah, they have a manager and a pitching coach that can take any average joe and turn them into reliable/productive pitchers.

...Julio Lugo is a great defensive shortstop? Didn't he have half of the Red Sox errors in the small period he played for them this year? And like 15 last year in another shortened season? The Cards got him for versatility, I guess. Hopefully Julio being terrible with the Red Sox was all caused by him going from such a small market team to a huge one, and he just needs a fresh start.

Anyways. Giving up Wallace is not worth a couple months of Holliday. Especially with how average he has been...Maybe he's just an NL hitter and would thrive upon his return to the league?

jabrch
07-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Anyways. Giving up Wallace is not worth a couple months of Holliday. Especially with how average he has been...Maybe he's just an NL hitter and would thrive upon his return to the league?

If it gets you into the post season and it gets you a shot at more....given you'd get two draft picks in compensation for Holliday, why is it not worth it?

Wallace is still just a prospect...a good one...but a prospect.