PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle Statue?

Qdiddy
07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey Sox fans,

Not to jump the gun here, but does anyone else think that this basically guarantee's Mark Buehrle a statue with all the other greats? I always had a feeling that even without today's perfect game the Sox would retire his jersey just because how beloved he is within the organization. But does this guarantee it?

Chime in...Do you think he now deserves his own statue?

Thanks in advance, and GO SOX!!! Congrats MB!!!!

whitem0nkey
07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Statue??

were renaming the freakin team!

the Chicago Buehrles'

:gulp:

hawkjt
07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
They usually do the statute thing for Sox HOFers,right? So there ya go.

Burls is going to win over 200 games in a Sox uni...which will result in #56 being retired,a statute in Left field, and a plaque in Cooperstown.

mrfourni
07-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Burls is going to win over 200 games in a Sox uni...which will result in #56 being retired,a statute in Left field, and a plaque in Cooperstown.

Baines isn't and probably never will be in the HOF.

I hope you're right on your second point though.

travelinman89
07-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Neither Minoso, Baines, or Pierce are Hall Of Famers.

BigP50
07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I thought that I have seen all the statues live but I just realized ive never seen the Pierce one.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
It would be funny if the statue had him with a bat in his hand watching the ball sail over the wall in reference to his home run in Milwaukee. :redneck

I'd have to go to the game if they ever did unveil a Buehrle statue.

LITTLE NELL
07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
If he stays with the Sox yes, but say he signs with the Cards as a free agent; thats another matter.

BigP50
07-23-2009, 07:24 PM
It would be funny if the statue had him with a bat in his hand watching the ball sail over the wall in reference to his home run in Milwaukee. :redneck

I'd have to go to the game if they ever did unveil a Buehrle statue.

I was at the game when they did the Harold statue, that was cool.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I would think so, but I would wait for his career to be over before even entertaining the idea.

thomas35forever
07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
We'll see how the rest of his career pans out, but at this point, I'd say his chances are pretty good.

BleacherBandit
07-23-2009, 08:10 PM
If he spends the rest of his career here or goes another five years, he'll end up getting a statue.

bridgeportcopper
07-23-2009, 09:04 PM

200 wins will not get you in Cooperstown..... and as far as how long he has to remain a Sox player to get a statue, Fisk played I believe 12 or 13 years here, Buehrle already in 10th and I venture to say has had a much greater impact here than Pudge did (World championship, 4 all-star appearances as a Sox player, no-hitter, perfect game). No Pudge-led team even won a playoff series.

Zisk77
07-23-2009, 09:36 PM
200 wins will not get you in Cooperstown..... and as far as how long he has to remain a Sox player to get a statue, Fisk played I believe 12 or 13 years here, Buehrle already in 10th and I venture to say has had a much greater impact here than Pudge did (World championship, 4 all-star appearances as a Sox player, no-hitter, perfect game). No Pudge-led team even won a playoff series.

200 wins might as very few of today's pitchers will even acheive that. If beurhle doesn't retire after this contract he could conceivably win 300 with his mechanics and unreliance (is that a word?) on velocity.

soxfanreggie
07-23-2009, 09:57 PM
If he doesn't retire, he has a chance. If he retires like he's said he might do, I doubt it. A Cy Young Awards would be a nice crown jewel on top of a stellar career with several All-Star appearances. Today's performance was one of those Cy Young-type memorable moments where voters will think back to. 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA has him as one of the top pitchers in contention for the award so far.

BigP50
07-23-2009, 09:59 PM
I'd go crazy if MB got the CY Young award

Woofer
07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I think that Buehrle has a great chance of having his number retired and having a statue in his honor. Of course, he is going to keep putting up Buehrle type numbers. I wonder if he will be offered or accept a contract extension?

tacosalbarojas
07-23-2009, 10:15 PM
as long as he doesn't tank the rest of his career, it's a pretty good chance we'll see the Buehrle statue somewhere on the concourse. I honestly don't think he necessarily needs to reach certain goals in number of wins or even finish his career here...although the more wins the better, and hopefully he will end his career here.