PDA

View Full Version : Matt Holliday traded to Cardinals

DirtySox
07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Olney says a 50-50 chance this deal gets done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4350887

I like the Cards and really like Brett Wallace, though it remains to be seen if he can stay at 3rd. I still think Holliday is overrated, but St. Louis really seems to need a bat.

WhiteSox1989
07-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Uh.

WhiteSox1989
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I hate doing this, but I'll say it. It's Halladay.

DirtySox
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM

Huh? This is about Matt Holliday not Roy Halladay.

JohnTucker0814
07-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Wrong... it's the Oakland outfielder, hence the comment about the Cards needing a hitter.

WhiteSox1989
07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
haha now I feel dumb, didn't even read the article.

Continue..

DirtySox
07-24-2009, 11:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4353256

Deal is close. Supposedly Wallace, Shane Peterson, and Clayton Mortensen for Holliday.

soltrain21
07-24-2009, 11:45 AM
This is a steep price for the Cardinals. I thought they really were high on Wallace.

DirtySox
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Deal is now very close.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/2820575176

jabrch
07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
That vaults them into the status of favorite in the NL Central.

DirtySox
07-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Deal is done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4353256

If a mod would like to change the title of this thread to indicate that, feel free.

Rockabilly
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Congrats to the Cards!! Hope this trade helps them win the NL Central

DirtySox
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I still think the price is rather steep, but I really like Wallace. Looking forward to seeing Holliday in Red though.

cleanwsox
07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for keeping him for the series vs the Twins though.

DSpivack
07-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I still think the price is rather steep, but I really like Wallace. Looking forward to seeing Holliday in Red though.

Yeah, as a mild Cards fan I'm rather dissapointed, but glad they got a bat. I don't know that much about Wallace, but not really a Holliday fan.

cws05champ
07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, that is a steep price, but that combo of Pujols, Holliday and a surging Ludwig will be pretty good.

soltrain21
07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
They gave up a ton.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for keeping him for the series vs the Twins though.

My thoughts exactly.

Jerko
07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
haha now I feel dumb, didn't even read the article.

Continue..

you're grounded.

I must admit I thought the same thing first as well. :redface:

TheOldRoman
07-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Could we change the title to "Matt Holliday traded to Cardinals"?

That would avoid confusion of 1) who the hell is Wallace and why is his name lsited first; 2) What team was Wallace on; and 3)Do they mean Holliday or Halladay?

WhiteSoxFTW
07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Look out NL Central (and especially the Cubs) the Cards just got Matt Holliday. Add that to a guy Cubs fans may have heard of, Mark DeRosa :wink:, coming off the DL and the Cardinals are a force to be reckoned with.

thedudeabides
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
They gave up a ton.

I don't think so. It was fair value. Wallace is far from a can't miss. He's going to get on base and looks to be a pretty good hitter, but his defense at 3b is poor. He's most likely going to be a 1b/DH. And if that's the case he's going to have to start showing he can hit for power, and so far that's questionable.

Dibbs
07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I think the Cardinals got ripped off on this deal. Wallace is supposed to be a huge stud. Hopefully they retain Holliday after this year.

soltrain21
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't think so. It was fair value. Wallace is far from a can't miss. He's going to get on base and looks to be a pretty good hitter, but his defense at 3b is poor. He's most likely going to be a 1b/DH. And if that's the case he's going to have to start showing he can hit for power, and so far that's questionable.

They are getting him for less than half a year. They gave up a lot for a rental player.

thedudeabides
07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
They are getting him for less than half a year. They gave up a lot for a rental player.

They can resign him or get two compensatory draft picks. I'm not saying they didn't give up a lot, but I don't think Wallace is a sure thing. He has shown very little power and he's going to most likely be a 1b/dh in a pitchers park. I think the Cardinals did a good job of selling high on him.

The other two are middle of the road prospects.

Foulke You
07-24-2009, 06:05 PM
The Cards have been unusually aggressive with trades this year. First DeRosa and now Matt Holliday. They have been content in years past to just make a minor move and call it a day. I wonder if this is to appease Pujols? Pujols, Holliday, and Ludwick certainly makes a formidable middle of the order. The Cards needed a bat and they got a good one.

Also, did anyone really think Beane was going to keep Matt Holliday the whole year? I think he signs these guys just so he can trade them for prospects. I'm sure he isn't done trading yet. Orlando Cabrera is probably next.

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Wow, that is a steep price, but that combo of Pujols, Holliday and a surging Ludwig will be pretty good.

I believe you meant Ryan Ludwick .

But as a drummer,there's nothing I love more than a vintage
1960's keystone badge Ludwig drum set.:D:

MeteorsSox4367
07-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Good move for the Cardinals. Just wondering which number Holliday will wear since No. 5 is already taken by this Pujols guy.

BleacherBandit
07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I believe you meant Ryan Ludwick .

But as a drummer,there's nothing I love more than a vintage
1960's keystone badge Ludwig drum set.:D:
http://photos.upi.com/story/t/89f23c9f19f89bcb3521484f43a1f846/Ryan-Ludwick-out-with-hamstring-injury.jpg = http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/09/beethoven_hairclub.jpg

California Sox
07-24-2009, 09:02 PM

Was a crazy steep price. For that much they could have gotten Tony Pena.

ChiSoxGirl
07-24-2009, 11:06 PM
The price does seem steep, but I gotta hand it to St. Louis... they're really doing everything they can to better their ballclub- first DeRosa and now Holliday. Anything that keeps you-know-who outta first! :wink:

tony1972
07-24-2009, 11:28 PM
The price does seem steep, but I gotta hand it to St. Louis... they're really doing everything they can to better their ballclub- first DeRosa and now Holliday. Anything that keeps you-know-who outta first! :wink:

The Brewers?:cool: that's mean..my aunt is from Milwaukee!

ChiSoxGirl
07-24-2009, 11:48 PM

Nice. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Where's your co-worker (I seem to recall her name being Karen) from? We've missed all of your ramblings about her. :cool:

It's too bad there are only three more games between the Cards and Cubs, although it's great that those games are at Busch. And now the A's are a little weaker for the last five games we have against them.

South Side Irish
07-25-2009, 12:45 PM
A few thoughts, as a Cards/Sox fan:

1. Brett Wallace is a lot to give up, though remember he's likely not an MLB 3B. Or at least one TLR wants. He makes Josh Fields look like Joe Crede. Too slow for the OF and blocked by AP at 1B. DH or 1B is his best fit.

2. I'm willing to bet that one of (if not both) Holliday or DeRosa resign with the Cardinals. They seem to have some luck wooing guys like this brought over in trades, dating back to McGwire in '97. And even if they leave, comp picks are nice.

3. The last 3 years (including the WS in '06) have been - offensively speaking - pathetic for the cards. They've done nothing but hope for comebacks from injured players (Glaus, Rolen, Edmonds, Ludwick, Ankiel) good seasons from retreads (Greene, Miles, Kennedy) and a bevy of minor league talent (young and old) with borderline big league skills (Thurston, Duncan and on and on and on). They really had to do this, as they've already wasted 2.5 years of AP in his prime. I'm shocked it's gone one this long, and even more shocked the numbers he put up with nothing around him, save one season from Luddy. AP has to be surrounded with solid players if the Cards don't just expect to "do anything," but keep this generation's best hitter in STL.

All things considered, it was a trade that had to happen, even with some risk. Though, the risk of not doing so was even higher, I think.

soxfanreggie
07-25-2009, 03:50 PM
I gave this trade some thought and came up with this:

Good for the Cardinals that they went out there and sought a potential stud player (yes, he hasn't been playing that well lately) who could offer Pujols some protection. He's another player that can immensely help you win a playoff series with his bat. The A"s are a team that are going to get a guy in there and once he hits it big, trade him for someone else. They are rarely going to make "the move" to get a big superstar, and seem more content, in always acquiring future stars until they become big and they trade them too.

Sometimes you have to give up someone with a high ceiling to make things happen now. You can't always be "building for the future" because the future is always a season away. I wouldn't "mortgage the farm" just to get a player like Holiday, but I would be willing to give up a decent prospect if it will mean a serious shot at winning the division, with an also decent chance to sign him longer-term.