PDA

View Full Version : Jim Parque Confesses To HGH Use

Madvora
07-23-2009, 06:54 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/1681419,CST-SPT-parque23.article

Madvora
07-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Really good article.
While steroids or HGH weren't technically banned by baseball, they weren't really "allowed" either. According to baseball rules you could pretty much take anything. However, he knew he was taking illegal drugs. This discrepancy is something that people knew about baseball for a while.

It's good to hear someone come clean on this and tell their side of the story. I was just thinking about how there's been complete silence from Sammy Sosa since the article came out on him.

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Cowley will be on with Mully & Hanley at 7:40 a.m., and Parque is scheduled to be on with M&H at 8:00 a.m.

I should note that Jim chose to use PEDs after he was relased by the White Sox in 2002. He did it to provide for his family because he feared that if he were out of baseball, he would not have been able to do that. I think Jim made the wrong choce. He asks us the readers what each of us would have done if we were in his position. Jim Parque has never struck me as a dumb guy, in spite of the poor choice he made here. I think his intelligence would have helped him make it in the real world after baseball, and that did eventually happen after his career ended with the Rays.

What Parque did was very wrong, but how he has now addressed the error of his ways is the right thing to do. Have see seen Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, or anyone else associated with PEDs come clean and use that error to influence others not to use PEDs?

jabrch
07-23-2009, 07:27 AM
He must have been using it wrong.

hawkjt
07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Cowley told a funny story on how normal sized Parque is :

When Parque was early in his career, still single, he gets out of a porsche with a young lady in LA and some fans thought he was ''short round'' from the Indiana Jones movie and called out to him...:D:

Yes, Parque is smarter than your average ballplayer,probably, and the whole fighting to recover from injury is a tougher call. A guy called in to Mully show who was in the NFL for 4 years and said he took HGH for two years to recover from injuries and 7 years after he retired ,he still would do it and has no health issues.

DrCrawdad
07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Very thoughtful column by Parque. Years ago here I started a thread about Parque as he was taking potshots at the Sox. His comments in the Sun Times helped me to understand his comments and I see that Jim's a classy guy. Best wishes to Butter, I mean Jim Parque.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Echoing Viva's comment regarding Parque before it gets warped by some:

"At the end of 2002, I was still unable to break a pane of glass with my fastball. With my career in jeopardy, I turned to performance-enhancing drugs."

This was AFTER his days with the White Sox.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Parque on the Score.

ewokpelts
07-23-2009, 08:09 AM
BS.

He DENIES steriod use after the mitchell report came out to not just the sun-times, but also to a seattle paper.

But he claims to have freely told kids at his baseball academy a year before the report came out? a report that he refused to speak to, by the way.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2004071148_parquemitchell14.html

Obviously, baseball is tainted," he said. "It is coming out that it's tainted to some extent. But I was drug-tested for two years after writing those checks and I never failed a drug test. I'm telling you the truth because there's nothing for me to hide."

Madvora
07-23-2009, 08:15 AM
BS.

He DENIES steriod use after the mitchell report came out to not just the sun-times, but also to a seattle paper.

But he claims to have freely told kids at his baseball academy a year before the report came out? a report that he refused to speak to, by the way.

Wow, nice find. Feel like calling in to the Score about this?

cws05champ
07-23-2009, 08:16 AM
That actually brought a tear to my eye. Any one of us that has a family and the pressures of being the only, or main bread winner can sympathize with his plight. I have a lot of respect for him to come out and admit his wrong doings....it takes a strong character to do so.

I think HGH has really got a bad public rap because it has been lumped in with steroids which transform you. HGH under doctor administered care can be a really beneficial to heal injuries, but HGH alone will not make you a better baseball player. They had a doctor on XM radio baseball channel awhile back and he basically said that people's perception will change about HGH as more studies are done and it becomes more mainstream to treat everyone's injuries/ailments.

ewokpelts
07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow, nice find. Feel like calling in to the Score about this?cute. i actualy found this looking for info on his baseball academy.

I dont doubt he's doing the right thing by coming clean now. But dont try and tell me you're open about this when you denied it to more than one paper.

ewokpelts
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
That actually brought a tear to my eye. Any one of us that has a family and the pressures of being the only, or main bread winner can sympathize with his plight. I have a lot of respect for him to come out and admit his wrong doings....it takes a strong character to do so.

I think HGH has really got a bad public rap because it has been lumped in with steroids which transform you. HGH under doctor administered care can be a really beneficial to heal injuries, but HGH alone will not make you a better baseball player. They had a doctor on XM radio baseball channel awhile back and he basically said that people's perception will change about HGH as more studies are done and it becomes more mainstream to treat everyone's injuries/ailments.correct, HGH under proper supervision and administation is good.

what jim parque was doing was not. and illegal

Madvora
07-23-2009, 08:25 AM
cute. i actualy found this looking for info on his baseball academy.

I dont doubt he's doing the right thing by coming clean now. But dont try and tell me you're open about this when you denied it to more than one paper.
Right after you posted that, they started asking him about the Mitchell Report. I was hoping that they'd be taking calls, but to have Parque taking calls would be expecting a little much. I would like to hear what he'd have to say about his initial denial. Obviously he was caught off guard when first called and his first reaction was to deny any wrong doing, but I wonder if he'd admit to that since this article has come out.

cws05champ
07-23-2009, 08:25 AM
correct, HGH under proper supervision and administation is good.

what jim parque was doing was not. and illegal
True, my point is that perception of HGH in the future(not now) will change as more information on it's benefits becomes available.

He did not transform himself using steroids though...

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Coop on the Score.

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
cute. i actualy found this looking for info on his baseball academy.

Parque would be the first to admit to you this. I think he is truly contrite about what he did and his subsequent cover-up of it.

spawn
07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Parque would be the first to admit to you this. I think he is truly contrite about what he did and his subsequent cover-up of it.
I'm sure the initial reaction is to cover up and deny. I think it takes real courage to come forward and admit it. Hear that Barry? Sammy? Mark? Parque has absolutely nothing to gain by admitting this as he's not exactly HOF material.

Cangelosi CF
07-23-2009, 08:42 AM
don't judge lest ye be judged.

very good article. I always enjoyed his columns in the Sun-Times. Didn't Jerry Manuel make him stop writing those? Or was it KW?

thedudeabides
07-23-2009, 08:44 AM

I think HGH has really got a bad public rap because it has been lumped in with steroids which transform you. HGH under doctor administered care can be a really beneficial to heal injuries, but HGH alone will not make you a better baseball player. They had a doctor on XM radio baseball channel awhile back and he basically said that people's perception will change about HGH as more studies are done and it becomes more mainstream to treat everyone's injuries/ailments.

The same thing can be said about steroids. It is used for medical treatment much more frequently than HGH.

Chez
07-23-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm sure the initial reaction is to cover up and deny. I think it takes real courage to come forward and admit it. Hear that Barry? Sammy? Mark? Parque has absolutely nothing to gain by admitting this as he's not exactly HOF material.

I couldn't agree more. Good story. Best of luck to Parque.

35th&Shields
07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Really good article.
While steroids or HGH weren't technically banned by baseball, they weren't really "allowed" either. According to baseball rules you could pretty much take anything. However, he knew he was taking illegal drugs. This discrepancy is something that people knew about baseball for a while.

Wrong. Mitchell Report, pg. 18:

"There is a widespread misconception that the use of steroids and other performance enhancing substances, such as human growth hormone, was not prohibited in Major League Baseball before the inclusion of the joint drug program in the 2002 Basic Agreement. In fact, as early as 1991 baseballís drug policy expressly prohibited the use of ďall illegal drugs and
controlled substances, including steroids or prescription drugs for which the individual Ö does not have a prescription.Ē53 Even before then, however, the use of any prescription drug without a valid prescription was prohibited in baseball, and even earlier under federal law. In 1971, baseballís drug policy required compliance with federal, state, and local drug laws and directed baseballís athletic trainers that anabolic steroids should only be provided to players under a physicianís guidance." Mitchell Report, pg. 18.

http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf

thegooch
07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
The best part is his apology to Kenny. Don't mess with Kenny.

white sox bill
07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I did see a few holes in Jim's story. Maybe I'll shoot him a letter:

Dear Jim
I have a few questions, forgive me if I missed the answers in your lengthy letter. Why are you coming clean now? Your career has been over for years and you were not by any means famous. Just wondering. Second, you most likely received fakes. Real GH has to be reconstituted meaning Bacteriostatic water must be injected into the vial to provide the mix. GH always comes in a vial with what looks like baking soda in the bottom. If it was liquefied when you received it, it was a counterfeit and your gains were an illusion. Which also leads into third point--it takes at very least 3 months to see any benefit from GH. You claim you were on for a short time. I doubt any effect was realized during that time. And those elephant syringes? Most GH should be injected via small diabetic needle no more than 1/2" in length. And last, GH is worthless without any AAS IF your goals were to gain strength and/or size. If you had done your due diligence on this you would have known this.

But you did the noble thing and fessed up. This great Country is all about redemption. Best of luck to you and maybe I'll catch you fly fishing sometime.

Madvora
07-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Wrong. Mitchell Report, pg. 18:

"There is a widespread misconception that the use of steroids and other performance enhancing substances, such as human growth hormone, was not prohibited in Major League Baseball before the inclusion of the joint drug program in the 2002 Basic Agreement. In fact, as early as 1991 baseball’s drug policy expressly prohibited the use of “all illegal drugs and
controlled substances, including steroids or prescription drugs for which the individual … does not have a prescription.”53 Even before then, however, the use of any prescription drug without a valid prescription was prohibited in baseball, and even earlier under federal law. In 1971, baseball’s drug policy required compliance with federal, state, and local drug laws and directed baseball’s athletic trainers that anabolic steroids should only be provided to players under a physician’s guidance." Mitchell Report, pg. 18.

http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf
You're right. I guess I just got sidetracked by Parque saying in his article that HGH wasn't banned by MLB.
What I was thinking of was that even though these were technically "banned" it really doesn't amount to anything if you have no testing and no punishment.

Madvora
07-23-2009, 09:10 AM

Dear Jim
I have a few questions, forgive me if I missed the answers in your lengthy letter. Why are you coming clean now? Your career has been over for years and you were not by any means famous. Just wondering. Second, you most likely received fakes. Real GH has to be reconstituted meaning Bacteriostatic water must be injected into the vial to provide the mix. GH always comes in a vial with what looks like baking soda in the bottom. If it was liquefied when you received it, it was a counterfeit and your gains were an illusion. Which also leads into third point--it takes at very least 3 months to see any benefit from GH. You claim you were on for a short time. I doubt any effect was realized during that time. And those elephant syringes? Most GH should be injected via small diabetic needle no more than 1/2" in length. And last, GH is worthless without any AAS IF your goals were to gain strength and/or size. If you had done your due diligence on this you would have known this.

But you did the noble thing and fessed up. This great Country is all about redemption. Best of luck to you and maybe I'll catch you fly fishing sometime.
Barry is that you?

DickAllen72
07-23-2009, 09:26 AM
BS.

HGH is not a steroid. When he used HGH it was not banned. He took it to recover from an injury.

BTW baseball doesn't test for HGH so he wouldn't fail any drug test baseball administered.

ode to veeck
07-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I liked the apology to KW for how he behaved after coming back. I still can't believe Ozzie put him into that game in Oakland when the Sox had a decent lead and the guy could barely hit BP speeds.

HGH is much different than anabolid steroids, both in terms of risks as well as effects, if using bioidentical version, as well as in general (not MLB) legality vs explicit illegality these days (& those days) of the PED steroids in particular (even though non-prescription HGH never FDA approved).

WhiteSoxFTW
07-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Dear Jim

Very interesting.

35th&Shields
07-23-2009, 10:54 AM
HGH is not a steroid. When he used HGH it was not banned. He took it to recover from an injury.

BTW baseball doesn't test for HGH so he wouldn't fail any drug test baseball administered.

Sigh. Please read my post above re: Mitchell Report and HGH. Parque got HGH through the mail. His use of it was illegal then and is illegal now.

PatK
07-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Doesn't matter if the did test, as currently, there are no accurate or reliable tests for HGH out there.

mzh
07-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I still can't believe Ozzie put him into that game in Oakland when the Sox had a decent lead and the guy could barely hit BP speeds.

Ozzie must have had a lot of pull, being able to change pitchers for the White Sox while third base coaching the Florida Marlins :tongue:

Zisk77
07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
The same thing can be said about steroids. It is used for medical treatment much more frequently than HGH.

Yes steroids are widely used for medical treatment. They are vastly different from the anabolic steroids players are abusing. Cholesterol is a steroid for example. It is neither banned nor will make you buff...see Bartolo Colon for for a visual.:redneck

SoxSpeed22
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Human growth hormone (HGH) is naturally produced in the human body. That is why they need blood testing to find excessive amounts. I can't be surprised that Parque used HGH to recover from arm injuries. He's not the first person to do it. It was an act of desperation to save his career.

thedudeabides
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Yes steroids are widely used for medical treatment. They are vastly different from the anabolic steroids players are abusing. Cholesterol is a steroid for example. It is neither banned nor will make you buff...see Bartolo Colon for for a visual.:redneck

True. Although, anabolic steroids are prescribed by doctors for things like anemia, osteoporosis, and late developing puberty. Much in the same way athletes are using HGH in higher levels, and for different reasons than its intended purposes.

A few people have said that HGH doesn't help in size, and that's incorrect. It is why you have seen large gains in muscle mass and drop in body fat in some of these abusers. More so than steroids. It also increases bone and skull density. For example, Barry Bonds head grew from a 7 1/8 to a 7 1/2, and his shoe size went from a size 10 to a 13, all in his late 30's! :o:

thomas35forever
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Saw the confession this morning and Jim obviously put a lot of thought into it. It was nice to see him come clean about everything and not be a major douche on the issue (a la Bonds, Palmeiro, Giambi, Sosa, etc.). If only every player who ever took HGH could truthfully tell their side of the story. This here is a story about a man trying to both save the only thing he's ever known and put food on the table for his family. I know every story's not like that, but it can help us, the fans, from just labeling users "cheaters." Classy move on Jim's part.

TheVulture
07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
However, he knew he was taking illegal drugs.

HGH is not a controlled substance according to federal scheduling. The distribution of HGH is illegal, but possession and usage is not. In the state of Illinois, its use is a felony, but Illinois is one of only a few states in which that is the case.

1908<2005
07-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Saw the confession this morning and Jim obviously put a lot of thought into it. It was nice to see him come clean about everything and not be a major douche on the issue (a la Bonds, Palmeiro, Giambi, Sosa, etc.). If only every player who ever took HGH could truthfully tell their side of the story. This here is a story about a man trying to both save the only thing he's ever known and put food on the table for his family. I know every story's not like that, but it can help us, the fans, from just labeling users "cheaters." Classy move on Jim's part.

Couldn't have picked a better day to come clean. He goes from 2nd page news to 8th page news.

A. Cavatica
07-23-2009, 08:59 PM
He must have been using it wrong.

LOL. That was exactly my reaction.

kitekrazy
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
don't judge lest ye be judged.

This is one of the most mindless quotes ever. Where did you get it?