PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7/22 Sox Gut Out A Winner Postgame Thread...

gf2020
07-22-2009, 11:01 PM
That was some clutch three strike hitting right there.

soxnut1018
07-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Dan Wheeler is AWESOME! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

HomeFish
My faith in this team is back. It will probably be dashed to pieces against the Yankee rocks soon, but it'll be with me for the next 12 hours at least.

BadBobbyJenks
What is everyone still catching their breath?

tsoxman
Nice comeback form both last night and a 3 run deficit tonight.

BringBackBlkJack
Impressive debut by Torres. Minus a couple of mistakes he was stellar.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

BigP50
07-22-2009, 11:03 PM
1 game back

oeo
We gift-wrapped the game last night, they gift-wrapped it tonight. Thank you, Bartlett and Upton. :D:

gobears1987
I'd like to see Torres pitch with a better zone. The zone was consistent, but one that squeezed pitchers. I don't think he gives up the gopher balls if he had a normal zone, a lot of his balls would be strikes as he kept the ball low.

Madscout
:winner

SoxFan1979
Great to get some 2 out offense. Good outing for the rookie and Thorton made interesting in the end but he was in command. 1 game back........
SOX WIN YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

NDSox12
This series has taken a few years off my life. Tonight felt like a little redemption for last night. We caught some breaks and took advantage of them.

gf2020
07-22-2009, 11:04 PM
What efforts by Richard and Torres on consecutive days as showdowns with the Tigers and Twins near.

GlassSox
Excellent come back and Pods goes deep!

BigP50
Player of the game: BJ Upton

WhiteSox1989
I love the White Sox.

October26
07-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Nice pitching performance by Carlos Torres; DJ Carrasco gets the win; Sox bats woke up late in the game and Matt Thornton did his job. Sox win! Sox win! Yippeeeee :)

DirtySox
What is everyone still catching their breath?

I was getting a beer.

Thatguyoverthere
This win makes me feel much better about last night. Yesterday we should have won, today they probably should have. It evened out. Good start from Torres too. I'll take that every time from a spot starter.

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Serious question, can announcers be fined for dwelling on a call and calling out the umpire?

Tragg
07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Very nice.

How did the starter look?

soxnut1018
07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Serious question, can announcers be fined for dwelling on a call and calling out the umpire?

Hawk would have no money left.

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:08 PM

He usually doesn't say that the sox lost because of (name of umpire).

Thatguyoverthere
07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Thornton had a huge two-inning save. Absolutely gutsy performance by him, especially getting Longoria to end it.

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
What a gutsy win. Tampa is a good team. One of the best in baseball and the Sox put a rookie on the mound against a real good pitcher in Shields and managed to keep it close enough to pull out the victory late.

What an effort all around.

4 games over, 1 game back Buehrle on the mound tomorrow. Hopefully the Sox can keep Kazmir in his funk and get to their highwater mark for the season.

:soxwin:

:)

The Immigrant
07-22-2009, 11:10 PM

Hawk's had a "talking to" about that very issue this season. He's toned it down quite a bit.

Great win tonight.

Kogs35

neither would dwayne stats

Red Barchetta

I watched the game through the local Rays TV feed. Man are the announcers crying about that call. They brought up AJ's interference call from last year and would not stop.

Our boy Dwayne Staats (sp?) was bitchin' a fit! :D:

Nelfox02
07-22-2009, 11:12 PM
This really lessens the sting of last night. If you looked at this series before game 1, after seeing that Danks was scratched and digesting the pitching match ups, you feel that if you take 2 of the 3 and set up with your ace facing a struggling Kazmir to win the series you have done well. We really needed this game, a win tomorrow and you carry big momentum to D-Town for a huge series......could be tied for first before game 1 on Friday :bandance:

Harry Potter
07-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I watched the game through the local Rays TV feed. Man are the announcers crying about that call. They brought up AJ's interference call from last year and would not stop.

Our boy Dwayne Staats (sp?) was bitchin' a fit! :D:

What call? (I missed most of the game :(: )

DirtySox
I would be very happy if this team could get over that 4 game over .500 hump.

october23sp
This really lessens the sting of last night. If you looked at this series before game 1, after seeing that Danks was scratched and digesting the pitching match ups, you feel that if you take 2 of the 3 and set up with your ace facing a struggling Kazmir to win the series you have done well. We really needed this game, a win tomorrow and you carry big momentum to D-Town for a huge series......could be tied for first before game 1 on Friday :bandance:

We share the same birthday.

Nelfox02
07-22-2009, 11:14 PM
What call? (I missed most of the game :(: )

very close to third strike to cuban missile before he hit the triple

mccoydp
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
What more needs to be said? Good game, and a good pick-me-up after last night.

Take the series tomorrow.

:winner

Nelfox02
07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
We share the same birthday.

2005 was a an B day bash to remember......hope I see the Sox playing a few more games on our Birthday

Harry Potter

Thank you.

october23sp
Why is everyone saying they should have won this game? I only saw one bad call and we still needed 2 hits to make it really hurt.

SOXfnNlansing
07-22-2009, 11:17 PM
SWEET VICTORY TONIGHT :bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:18 PM

Even closer to ball 3 in fact that's what it was...:D:

:moonwalk:

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
SWEET VICTORY TONIGHT :bandance::bandance::bandance:

ti0ej7pOF30

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Why is everyone saying they should have won this game? I only saw one bad call and we still needed 2 hits to make it really hurt.

Anybody saying that is clueless. I mean completely, utterly, absolutely, clueless about anything having to do with baseball...

DirtySox
07-22-2009, 11:22 PM
This thread is rather lifeless. :(:

Shoeless
In the shadow of Jermaine Dye, the Pods resurgence, and Gordon's rising star is the good year Alexei is putting together. Solid offensive performance, and the defense may just be coming around

BadBobbyJenks
Very nice.

How did the starter look?

Stuff didn't wow you but he keeps the ball down and breaking ball looked like it had some nice bite at times. I was impressed.

BadBobbyJenks
07-22-2009, 11:24 PM
The strikezone was thigh high and above all night. That 2-2 pitch to Alexei is strike 3 most nights, but not for Diaz tonight. He was consistent with it so there is really nothing to complain about.

DirtySox
In the shadow of Jermaine Dye, the Pods resurgence, and Gordon's rising star is the good year Alexei is putting together. Solid offensive performance, and the defense may just be coming around

Indeed. The adjustments he's made after the horrific start is very commendable. I love the fact that he now walks every now and then.

dakotasox
Anybody saying that is clueless. I mean completely, utterly, absolutely, clueless about anything having to do with baseball...
Why? TB should have lead 3-1 heading to the 8th.

gobears1987
07-22-2009, 11:25 PM
The strikezone was thigh high and above all night. That 2-2 pitch to Alexei is strike 3 most nights, but not for Diaz tonight. He was consistent with it so there is really nothing to complain about.
Yep, that same pitch was called a ball all night for Torres. I don't mind the zone so long as it is consistent, and it was.

october23sp

Sarcasm saying my statement was clueless or non-sarcasm?

BTW, I can take sarcasm, I'm just saying from my point of view this game could be ours and we took it.

JB98
Great win tonight! This comeback makes up for pissing away the ballgame last night. Three one-run games in this series, and the Sox are more than holding their own against a very good Tampa Bay team that would probably be in first place if it were in a different division.

Torres did a real nice job. I wasn't overly impressed by his stuff, but I was very impressed by his results. Solid, solid effort on his part.

Baron
Stuff didn't wow you but he keeps the ball down and breaking ball looked like it had some nice bite at times. I was impressed.

Thats good so maybe he will get another shot? I missed most of the game untill the last few innings.Matt played well.

The Immigrant
07-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Thats good so maybe he will get another shot? I missed most of the game untill the last few innings.Matt played well.

He'll probably be sent down on Friday to make room for Colon.

The Immigrant
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM

There's not much to complain about. Just like Bobby Jenks, our mods need a night off once in a while.

voodoochile

The haters went to bed a while ago. They've got no reason to party, the Sox won...

Baron
He'll probably be sent down on Friday to make room for Colon.

Dang.....forgot Colon needed to be brought up for the double header

gobears1987
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I expect him to be sent down if for no other reason than to open up the slot for Colon on Friday, but Torres will pitch in the majors again. The ump called a high zone so Torres couldn't keep his stuff as low as he'd like since what normally would pass for a low strike was a called a ball. He's the perfect pitcher for our park, probably better than Peavy (fly ball pitcher) would be at USCF.

Brian26
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM

No Clouds here to muck it up tonight.

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Why? TB should have lead 3-1 heading to the 8th.

No... no they shouldn't have and nothing you can say can prove that point. I thought the pitch was low and as others have pointed out, the strike zone was higher than that all night. It was a consistent call. Like it or not, call it a strike or not. It wasn't, period.

Even so, the Rays then gave up a triple and a single to relinquish the lead. The Sox capitalized the Rays wilted. That's baseball.

cws05champ
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
That was strike three...but the ump missed the call, it happens. The Rays announcers should blame BJ Upton for misplaying TCM's drive. That's what coast them the game.

Gotta feel good when you have two rookies go up against one of the best teams in the league and you get 14 IP, 4ER combined over two games.

Thornton for closer!!!

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
The haters went to bed a while ago. They've got no reason to party, the Sox won...

Did you say Party?

t66uuDdpwaU

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Sarcasm saying my statement was clueless or non-sarcasm?

BTW, I can take sarcasm, I'm just saying from my point of view this game could be ours and we took it.

No sarcasm intended in the slightest...

Cuck the Fubs
07-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Damn nice bounceback!!!!

Take the series tomorrow Mark!

PeteWard
07-22-2009, 11:33 PM
This has been a great series--very exciting and so evenly matched it should be a split, but MB will be on tomorrow and a 5-2 homestand would be nice.

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:34 PM
No... no they shouldn't have and nothing you can say can prove that point. I thought the pitch was low and as others have pointed out, the strike zone was higher than that all night. It was a consistent call. Like it or not, call it a strike or not. It wasn't, period.

Even so, the Rays then gave up a triple and a single to relinquish the lead. The Sox capitalized the Rays wilted. That's baseball.

Especially a balls and strikes call, and any other announce team would mention the ****ty played ball in CF as the reason for the loss. But the classy TB announcers don't look at that.

JB98
07-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Especially a balls and strikes call, and any other announce team would mention the ****ty played ball in CF as the reason for the loss. But the classy TB announcers don't look at that.

Well, **** 'em if they can't take a joke. That borderline call will get no mention in my winning TBGR tonight! :bandance:

gobears1987
07-22-2009, 11:36 PM
The fact that Alexei took that pitch only shows how smart he was during that AB. It was late in the game and he saw what that ump was consistently calling as a ball or strike all night and took a pitch that I think he swings at any other night. After all, Alexei isn't exactly known for taking a pitch that is anywhere near the zone. That just shows he had his head in this game.

dakotasox
07-22-2009, 11:36 PM

OK, the call was a ball. But the pitch was in the zone and it wasn't even close. No one is complaining, just being realistic that we caught a huge break.

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:37 PM
My post count goes way up when I have extra innings. I just looked at the stats I have like 500 this month.:o:

russ99
07-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Whoo hoo! I'll take that win. Plus Pods got a rare homer.

The kid pitched very well. I'm glad we have more options than broken down Colon and Freddie.

gobears1987
07-22-2009, 11:39 PM
OK, the call was a ball. But the pitch was in the zone and it wasn't even close. No one is complaining, just being realistic that we caught a huge break.
With a normal zone it's a ball, but what you're ignoring is that this ump was consistently calling a high zone. Read through the game thread's commentary on the first 3 innings and you will see numerous statements about the "high zone" being called by this ump and how strikes at the knees thrown by Torres were called balls all night. It should've been a strike, but this ump consistently squeezed both sides and called anything at the knees a ball.

angiew
07-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I watched the Tampa announcers too on MLB Extra Innings. Damn what a bunch of babies! They not only bitched forever about the call, they then insisted we were getting "home scoring" by calling the hit a triple. Jeez I HATE whining announcers....and yes, that includes Hawk when he does it. But I say bitch all ya want now Rays, cause we kicked your ass!! WooHoo!!!!!:bandance:

DirtySox
07-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Scouts from the Orioles, Braves, and D-Backs were in attendance tonight. Speculate?

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I watched the Tampa announcers too on MLB Extra Innings. Damn what a bunch of babies! They not only bitched forever about the call, they then insisted we were getting "home scoring" by calling the hit a triple. Jeez I HATE whining announcers....and yes, that includes Hawk when he does it. But I say bitch all ya want now Rays, cause we kicked your ass!! WooHoo!!!!!:bandance:

The thing that bothers me is that they insist the game was lost because of that play. The one announcer kind of kept it in perspective by saying it happens all the time but this was magnified.

The other one went on an idiotic rant. Hawk does it too, but I love Hawk, I'm also biased.

thomas35forever
07-22-2009, 11:43 PM
A great game. After we lost the game we should've won, the exact opposite happens tonight. Glad I got to catch my breath after the final out. Just a game back on Detroit. Let's head to Detoilet tied for first on getaway day.

BigP50
07-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Scouts from the Orioles, Braves, and D-Backs were in attendance tonight. Speculate?

any of those teams need a closer?

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
My faith in this team is back. It will probably be dashed to pieces against the Yankee rocks soon, but it'll be with me for the next 12 hours at least.

Yankees ain't got **** on us.

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2009, 11:46 PM
That was a nice one to go to, and perfect temperature!

That was a gutsy performance in the 7th. Thanks to Bradford for being unable to pitch! Great clutch hitting by TCM and Dye, and outstanding pitching by Torres for his first game!

Shoeless
07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
any of those teams need a closer?

With this team's performance as of late, who is expendable via trade on our roster? Dye? Jenks?

HomeFish
Yankees ain't got **** on us.

You don't want to play the Yankees in the second half of the season. April is when you want them on your schedule.

Yankees are a hot first place team.

dakotasox
With a normal zone it's a ball, but what you're ignoring is that this ump was consistently calling a high zone. Read through the game thread's commentary on the first 3 innings and you will see numerous statements about the "high zone" being called by this ump and how strikes at the knees thrown by Torres were called balls all night. It should've been a strike, but this ump consistently squeezed both sides and called anything at the knees a ball.
It was a for the most part a high strike zone. But the first pitch to Alexei was the same height and it was called a strike so it wasn't as "consistent" as you say it was.

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
With this team's performance as of late, who is expendable via trade on our roster? Dye? Jenks?

Actually, considering they are now 18-9 in their last 27 games, I would hope they would be buyers if anything...

Noneck
07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I wonder how Wills saw this game.

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
You don't want to play the Yankees in the second half of the season. April is when you want them on your schedule.

We're a hot second place team.

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:50 PM

As opposed to the Sox who are a hot soon to be first place team?

Thatguyoverthere
07-22-2009, 11:52 PM

Yankees are a hot first place team.We always play the Yankees tough and we should do well in that launching pad of a stadium up there with our lineup. I'm not too worried about our games with them. I'm more concerned with the Red Sox.

october23sp
07-22-2009, 11:52 PM
As opposed to the Sox who are a hot soon to be first place team?

I'm unsure why people think we can't beat baseballs elite when we are amoung it. Our start was absolutly horrid and we have turned it around 360 degrees I mean 180 degrees.

Woofer
07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Tomorrows game will be huge. Here's to Buehrle having an ace type of performance.:gulp:

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Tomorrows game will be huge. Here's to Buehrle having an ace type of performance.:gulp:

I'm hoping the Sox can jack up Kazmir. He's got a 6.6 ERA with a 1.75 WHIP and a .295 BAA. Lunch time, boys...

kevingrt
07-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Taking six out of eight versus the Devil Rays would be one hell of an accomplishment.

Here's to Burly getting it done tomorrow.

hawkjt
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM
The Yanks are hot..I hope they cool off before they come to Soxpark next week.
The swing of fortunes tonite in about a half hour stretch was so sweet!
I happened to flip over to the Detroit/Mariners game just as Branyan hit his bomb.
Then later I came back in a break and caught Aardsma taking care of the tigers in the 9th. It was one of the most dominating closings I have seen this year. Aardsma like struck out the side on 10 pitches,I think. If he has control like that all the time,he is tough.

Tonites game was like found money. We will gladly take it. Two game swing in a matter of minutes and the Sox will go into Detroit on their heels.
Torres gave us what he had and that was good enough...and the Beckham walk,Pods scratching,and a misstep by Upton...then JD doing his thing...what a ride!
I am very grateful that Thornton handled that 9th.
These two teams could meet again in the playoffs. They are good but they do not scare me. Sheilds is tough on the Sox and they needed a break to beat him.
Our pitching has been good cept for the 9th. Now, tomorrow is time to breakthru to the next level. On paper,we had no shot tonite, tomorrow looks good, thats baseball. The Rays and Sox were tied for the best records in the AL since 6/20 coming into this series and it is close. I think the Rays are going to have a good second half just like the Sox.

This could be a fun but bumpy ride the last 10 weeks.

Craig Grebeck
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM
We always play the Yankees tough and we should do well in that launching pad of a stadium up there with our lineup. I'm not too worried about our games with them. I'm more concerned with the Red Sox.
Not lately.

JB98
07-23-2009, 12:10 AM
The Sox last won a season series from the Yanks in 2003, although they did split six games in 2005.

The Sox went 2-5 against New York last season.

HomeFish
07-23-2009, 12:15 AM
The 2000-2003 White Sox had the Yankees number for sure. But it is now 2009.

jabrch
07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
The Sox last won a season series from the Yanks in 2003, although they did split six games in 2005.

The Sox went 2-5 against New York last season.

While that is true, this is the worst the Yanks have been in a long time. Their OF is Damon, Garndiner and Swisher with Matsui at DH. ARod has had a great July - but we usually do a nice job against him. He's a career .263/.338/.465 hitter against us as compared to .304/.389/.577 overall.

What does all this mean? NOTHING. They come to Chicago next week for four games and we will have a good chance of coming away with a split. A small chance of winning the series and a small chance of losing it. I'll take that.

Tragg
07-23-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm more worried about our 2 trips to Seattle. We really suck there.

EuroSox35
07-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Can't overstate how big this win was, and a lot of guys came up big to make it happen. Especially coming off what happened last night. Nice job boys

Whitesoxfan23
07-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Great win tonight! Good to see our Sox bounce back!

BigP50
07-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Can't overstate how big this win was, and a lot of guys came up big to make it happen. Especially coming off what happened last night. Nice job boys

and going into a series where the opponet leads us by 1 game, as of now.

GoGoCrede
07-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Really impressed by Torres. He showed poise, and didn't lose his head even when he loaded the bases or gave up a HR. If he keeps it up and so does Richard, we will have a nice problem on our hands.

Ditto Thornton. Can't say enough about how valuable he is. He, too, showed poise.

2009 White Sox, we're with you all the way.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2009, 01:03 AM
The two biggest moments of the game:

1. Bradford not being able to get a single pitch in before being yanked.
2. Upton misplaying that liner by TCM.

Rohan
07-23-2009, 01:07 AM
After hearing Carlos Torres' interview after the game, I am really excited for him. He seems like he's got a fantastic attitude, and he's got the stuff to work with.

07-23-2009, 01:07 AM
The two biggest moments of the game:

1. Bradford not being able to get a single pitch in before being yanked.
2. Upton misplaying that liner by TCM.

#1 is the biggest moment of the game. I hated the bradford Alexei matchup. A couple of those nasty sliders and TCM is sitting 0-2. I was much more confident with Wheeler on the mound

HomeFish
07-23-2009, 01:08 AM
While that is true, this is the worst the Yanks have been in a long time. Their OF is Damon, Garndiner and Swisher with Matsui at DH. ARod has had a great July - but we usually do a nice job against him. He's a career .263/.338/.465 hitter against us as compared to .304/.389/.577 overall.

What does all this mean? NOTHING. They come to Chicago next week for four games and we will have a good chance of coming away with a split. A small chance of winning the series and a small chance of losing it. I'll take that.

The Yankees are in first place right now. They are not the '99 or even the 2003 Yankees, for sure, but they are probably better than the Yankees team that missed the postseason entirely last year.

JB98
07-23-2009, 01:14 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Quentin played all nine innings tonight. There was no Wise sighting, not even for defensive purposes in the ninth.

SBSoxFan
07-23-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm hoping the Sox can jack up Kazmir. He's got a 6.6 ERA with a 1.75 WHIP and a .295 BAA. Lunch time, boys...

I think I saw a stat during Kazmir's last start that he is something like 3-14 against the AL Central.

In contrast, Buehrle is 14-1 in twenty home starts since the 2008 all-star break.

BadBobbyJenks
07-23-2009, 01:51 AM
I think I saw a stat during Kazmir's last start that he is something like 3-14 against the AL Central.

In contrast, Buehrle is 14-1 in twenty home starts since the 2008 all-star break.

I looked it up and Kazmir is 9-13 all time vs the AL Central. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7292/splits;_ylt=Aox.cUrJvyXPS0ky6ekGYY.FCLcF?year=care er&type=Pitching)
Buehrle is 7-2 with a 4.23 era vs the Rays.

I shall be at the game with my betting ticket in hand. :praying:

BigP50
07-23-2009, 02:03 AM
I wanted to go to the game but couldn't find anyone else to go with me :(:

guillensdisciple
07-23-2009, 02:04 AM
I love it when the White Sox win!

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Just got back from the game, I took a mule back home :redneck

Anyways, what a game. This is one of those games we had no business winning when all odds were against us because of the pitching matchup. But the guys hung in there and Torres held his own. Very proud of the kid. I did find it odd that he exclusively pitches from the stretch :scratch:. I guess he wants to show that he is good to go right into the bullpen. It's rare to see a SP do this. Shows this kid has confidence being that many pitchers claim that they lose velocity from the stretch.

Alexei's 3bagger was one of those plays that when the ball leaves the bat you start saying "oh no, oh no" and then you go "hell yes." The crowd reaction was priceless.

Get the series win guys!

chaotic8512
07-23-2009, 02:47 AM
On a complete sidenote, isn't it just a little funny that Tampa Bay's announcers are Dewayne and Brian Anderson? And God, did they whine... don't pay attention to the fact that on Alexei's eventual triple, Upton started out a step or two forward before going back.

A few thoughts:
- VERY, VERY impressed with Torres! Did way better than I could have imagined.
- I hope TCQ starts to settle in at the plate soon... seems like everytime he's up there, he's trying to hit a 5-run HR. Once he relaxes, look out. That may be just his overly intense nature, though... what do you guys think?
- Glad Bobby got the night off. While yesterday frustrated me, there were plenty of other reasons we lost that game. After Ozzie publicly defending him, I am confident he'll be back immediately.
- Thornton did very well in place of Bobby, especially considering the rarity of him going 2 innings. (Ironically, the last time he did this was when he went 2 innings against TB in Game 4 of the playoffs last year.) It really shows how versatile and dependable he can be, something this bullpen sorely needs right now.

hawkjt
07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
All I want to see is Carlos back out there today after that hard run to the stands to grab that foul ball...I really like that how he is looking physically so far and staying in all nine innings has to be a good sign. He will hit. He always has...and his presence in that 7 spot is already being felt,I believe.
Now, if we could get Big Jim rolling again...look out..two big guys they have to pitch around surrounded by guys who are hot...love it.

Detroit has to face Washburn today...he has been very tough lately. French for the Tigers has been good lately also..glad the Sox do not face him.
This weekend pitching matchups are mysterious at this point.
Jose vs Verlander?,Bart vs ? ,Gavin vs? and Richard? vs Porcello?
This is a grab bag starting pitching series for both sides..but I like not facing Gallarraga and French.

thedudeabides
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
All I want to see is Carlos back out there today after that hard run to the stands to grab that foul ball...I really like that how he is looking physically so far and staying in all nine innings has to be a good sign. He will hit. He always has...and his presence in that 7 spot is already being felt,I believe.
Now, if we could get Big Jim rolling again...look out..two big guys they have to pitch around surrounded by guys who are hot...love it.

Detroit has to face Washburn today...he has been very tough lately. French for the Tigers has been good lately also..glad the Sox do not face him.
This weekend pitching matchups are mysterious at this point.
Jose vs Verlander?,Bart vs ? ,Gavin vs? and Richard? vs Porcello?
This is a grab bag starting pitching series for both sides..but I like not facing Gallarraga and French.

I'd be surprised if he is in the outfield today. It's a day game, following a night game, with a double header looming tomorrow. They may give big Jim a day off and DH Carlos today, but I would be very surprised if he's patrolling left field.

spawn
07-23-2009, 10:10 AM
I'd be surprised if he is in the outfield today. It's a day game, following a night game, with a double header looming tomorrow. They may give big Jim a day off and DH Carlos today, but I would be very surprised if he's patrolling left field.
He's in the lineup and playing left today (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113848).

thedudeabides
07-23-2009, 10:43 AM
He's in the lineup and playing left today (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113848).

Add that to my growing list of awesome predictions. :D:

TDog
07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Anyways, what a game. This is one of those games we had no business winning when all odds were against us because of the pitching matchup. ...

Actually, Torres didn't look as good against the Rays last night as Gio Gonzalez looked against the Blue Jays in his major league debut last year. Gonzalez then got hammered against the Sox and has looked even worse this year. You can't judge a pitcher by his first start, as promising as that start may be.

Rays fans might be whining that they can't hit pitchers they have never seen before, if they weren't whining about balls and strikes.

I wouldn't say the Sox had no business winning the game. They usually hit Shields well, a lot better than they did last night. Shields beat the Sox for the only Rays win in St. Petersburg this year, but he was losing 5-2 before Matt Thornton surrendered a grand slam in the 6-5 Sox loss. The White Sox are better than the Rays this year and should have won all seven games played so far. I thought the Sox had a shot at a sweep in this series, and could end up with a split. The Rays are a team that were swept in a four game series at Cleveland, and had a 10-run lead at one point in the series opener. They have a bullpen that has imploded more times than the Sox relievers have lost it this year. Last night, Maddon probably made the right move to bring in Bradford, but Bradford apparently made the wrong move while warming up. That certainly helped, but things are what they are.

That Ramirez didn't strike out because the umpire wasn't consistently calling the low is not a cause for Rays fans to whine or Sox fans to diminish the win. If the umpire had been calling the low strike, maybe Torres has "better control" and doesn't have to work up in the strike zone. Maybe he doesn't give up two home runs.

In the game thread, I posted that I thought Guillen wanted to use Thornton for a two-inning save, and he did. It means he probably won't be available today, but whoever the Sox bring into the game, hopefully to protect a lead, will scare people. Fans don't like it when the other team "makes it interesting" (for that matter, many Sox fans were upset with Nathan's inning in the All-Star Game before it turned out to be scoreless) but the Sox made things plenty interesting against the Rays pitching and defense after the first two hitters went down last night.

The Rays are one of only two AL teams this season to lose a game after leading by 10 runs. I believe they are the only team to lose after leading by eight runs after seven innings. Things are tough all over for bullpens.

I think the Sox are a better team than the Rays. I believed that last year. It's unfortunate their rotation wasn't set going into the series. But this year, this week, I would be disappointed if the Sox don't take three of four from the Rays.