PDA

View Full Version : Walk-Off Wins?

infohawk
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I can't think of one single game this year where the Sox walked the other team off in the ninth. I was somewhat hopeful last night after A.J. reached with a single. After all, it seems that most teams have a few walk-off games each year, and I figured that we were due!

Can any of you think of any walk-off wins for the Sox this year? If not, how about ninth inning comebacks on the road? It just seems like the Sox should have had at least ONE by now!

gobears1987
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Well I attended a walk-off win against the Tigers in June. It was the Thursday day game. The Sox loaded the bases with no outs in a tie game and Pods singled through the right side of the infield to end it.

Dick Allen
07-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Saturday game against the Lovable Losers at the Cell - Beckham GW hit.

GoGoCrede
07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
I was at the game where Pods walked the Dodgers off. But that went about 13 innings. It was a fun day at the ballpark. It was also the game where some of the '59 players were honored on the field. I was honored to be among the likes of Billy Pierce.

JB98
07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
The Sox have had a few walk-off wins, but I don't believe they've had one yet where they were trailing in the ninth and stole a game from somebody. All the walk-offs have been in games where the Sox either led or were tied going into the ninth.

You're gonna blow some games during the course of the year. Each time it happens, somebody always says, "Well, you're going to steal some wins in the late innings, too." Unfortunately, the Sox haven't been able to come back on anybody's closer all year. The closest they came was that game against Detroit where Wise was thrown out at the plate. The Sox did rally for the tie, but unfortunately they lost in 10 innings.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Is it true they have not come back and win from a deficit from the 7th inning or later?

35th and Shields
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
The Sox have had a few walk-off wins, but I don't believe they've had one yet where they were trailing in the ninth and stole a game from somebody. All the walk-offs have been in games where the Sox either led or were tied going into the ninth.

You're gonna blow some games during the course of the year. Each time it happens, somebody always says, "Well, you're going to steal some wins in the late innings, too." Unfortunately, the Sox haven't been able to come back on anybody's closer all year. The closest they came was that game against Detroit where Wise was thrown out at the plate. The Sox did rally for the tie, but unfortunately they lost in 10 innings.

That was a tough one. Went from a great game to one of the hardest losses to bear this year.

MushMouth
07-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Is it true they have not come back and win from a deficit from the 7th inning or later?

On the postgame last night, they said we were 0-36 when trailing past the 7th inning.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Twice this year the Sox have trailed in the 7th inning or later and won the game. Both against Kansas City, once in the 7th, once in the 8th.

Lip

JB98
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Twice this year the Sox have trailed in the 7th inning or later and won the game. Both against Kansas City, once in the 7th, once in the 8th.

Lip

The one in the eighth was Opening Day, IIRC.

I've been trying to think of any games where the Sox have gotten to the opposition's closer. Other than that one game where they tied the score against Rodney and lost in 10, I don't think there are any.

07-22-2009, 03:41 PM
We are 0-39 when trailing after the 8th

dakotasox
07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
The Sox were losing to the Cubs in the 8th the day of Beckham's walk-off. Ramirez tied it in the 8th with a single to left.

spawn
07-22-2009, 04:15 PM
We are 0-39 when trailing after the 8th
Doesn't "trailing after the 8th" just mean trailing going into the 9th inning and extras? I'm sure there are a LOT of teams that have pretty poor records when they are trailing going into the 9th inning.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Dakota is correct, it's three times this year they won when trailing in the 7th or later.

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Spawn:

You are correct on all counts. If a team can win say three games when trailing in the 9th inning or later that's considered very, very good.

Lip

JB98
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Doesn't "trailing after the 8th" just mean trailing going into the 9th inning and extras? I'm sure there are a LOT of teams that have pretty poor records when they are trailing going into the 9th inning.

Oh, yeah, everybody sucks when they are trailing after eight.

Sox with the lead after eight: 42-2
Sox when trailing after eight: 0-39

Hopefully, the Sox win a couple ballgames in the ninth along the way to make up for the two they've dropped.

tsoxman
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
That was a tough one. Went from a great game to one of the hardest losses to bear this year.

Playing a good team and up by only a run in the ninth...it happens. IMO, the Pirate loss when they had two outs nobody on in the ninth was worse.

TDog
07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
I can't think of one single game this year where the Sox walked the other team off in the ninth. ...

That's OK. A lot of people can't remember how good Bobby Jenks is.