PDA

View Full Version : Orioles moving Spring Training to Sarasota

Fenway
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Looks like Ed Smith Stadium will live on

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090722/ARTICLE/907221048/2055/NEWS?Title=Orioles-deal-is-said-to-be-close

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
All winter long a lot of us in SW Florida were hoping the BoSox would move up to Sarasota and take a lot of their obnoxious fans with them.
Now I have to worry that the Lovable Losers might come to Naples.
P.S. White Sox should have never left Sarasota.

Fenway
07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
The Flubs may leave Yo Yo Ma Park?

soxfanreggie
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
My family will be getting tickets for this (huge baseball fans, know people who work for the stadium), so I will hopefully be able to get a good scouting report on the Orioles for us. It isn't White Sox baseball, but at least it's baseball! I am sure I will see more of the Tigers (Lakeland), Pirates (Bradenton), and Orioles (Sarasota) than I would normally like to see, but it's a chance to go out and watch a game I love for a cheaper price.

Nell, I agree with you, but the city wasn't willing to do what it took to keep them here. They were willing to bend over backwards for the Red Sox, but they couldn't get anything done. I think they realized how important the Spring Training would be for the economy and how they could still get state help (up to $7.5 million) to upgrade the facility. From what it seemed, everyone but the City Council was onboard with this from the beginning.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
All winter long a lot of us in SW Florida were hoping the BoSox would move up to Sarasota and take a lot of their obnoxious fans with them.

I agree.

So much more to do in Florida than AZ.

I have no interest in going to AZ, ever.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-22-2009, 02:58 PM

I agree. Sarasota is a great city to visit. My grandparents lived in Bradenton for 25+ years and I still have some family in Sarasota on one of the islands.

Edit: Though, I do have family in Phoenix, too...and I will be going to spring training next year!

Viva Medias B's
07-22-2009, 03:21 PM
The Orioles would be leaving Fort Lauderdale which they moved to in 1996 after the Yankees left there for Tampa. If I am up to date on the situation in Fort Lauderdale, the land that Fort Lauderdale Stadium (along with nearby Lockhart Stadium, a facility for soccer and football) sits on is controlled by the nearby executive airport. The Orioles or some other entity had been paying the airport an annual rent to use the place, but the airport wanted the land for an expansion. Hence, the airport jacked up the rent so high that the Orioles had to seek a new ST venue.

DSpivack
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
The Orioles would be leaving Fort Lauderdale which they moved to in 1996 after the Yankees left there for Tampa. If I am up to date on the situation in Fort Lauderdale, the land that Fort Lauderdale Stadium (along with nearby Lockhart Stadium, a facility for soccer and football) sits on is controlled by the nearby executive airport. The Orioles or some other entity had been paying the airport an annual rent to use the place, but the airport wanted the land for an expansion. Hence, the airport jacked up the rent so high that the Orioles had to seek a new ST venue.

Friend of mine from FTL said as much, he was reading a story in the Sun Sentinel [South FL paper].

The only spring training game I've ever been to was an Orioles-Cardinals game there, I want to say in the spring of 2004.

roylestillman
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
The Flubs may leave Yo Yo Ma Park?

There was all sorts of saber rattling by the Cubs this Spring about a new lease deal at The Big Ho, including threats to move to FL. I suspect its nothing more than that to get improvements to their facilities in Mesa.

SaltyPretzel
07-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree.

So much more to do in Florida than AZ.

I never understood why teams prefer Arizona over Florida. Teams don't get a good read of their pitching staff in the desert air.

AZChiSoxFan
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Thanks. One less person on the roads that I don't have to deal with.

So glad the Good Guys moved ST to AZ. :bandance:

AZChiSoxFan
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
I never understood why teams prefer Arizona over Florida. Teams don't get a good read of their pitching staff in the desert air.

Fewer rainouts.

AZChiSoxFan
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
There was all sorts of saber rattling by the Cubs this Spring about a new lease deal at The Big Ho, including threats to move to FL. I suspect its nothing more than that to get improvements to their facilities in Mesa.

ummm, the Flubs want Mesa to build them a whole new facility, not just improvements to HoHoKam. This should be interesting to follow. HoHoKam is < 15 years old, IIRC. But seeing new facilities like Camelback Ranch and the one the Reds and Tribe will share has made the Flubs realize that they want a new one as well. Mesa is in a tough spot as they are desperate to keep them but are upset about the fact that < 15 years ago, they built them a new one. The Maricopa County fund that was used to build many of these new ST complexes either no longer exists or is simply empty (I forget which). Finally, Mesa is now is the same financial position as most govt entities these days, which means they have no money for a new one. Like I said, this could get very interesting.

MarySwiss
07-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I can't comment on Florida as I've never been there and have no burning desire to go there (although I do find it amusing that people who have never been to Arizona apparently know that there's more to do in Florida).

But like AZChiSoxFan, I am very happy to have the Sox in Arizona. Gives me an opportunity to see current and future players and also to meet up with fellow WSI'ers, like Manders, Spawn, Mr and Mrs. AZChiSoxFan, Ode (briefly, in a Tucson eatery parking lot a couple of years ago) and others.

And although I'd be fine with the Losers hauling anchor, I doubt that'll happen; Mesa will pony up somehow.

EDit: Whoops, almost forgot. Anyone have a reason why Sox fans should care where the Orioles train?

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I can't comment on Florida as I've never been there and have no burning desire to go there (although I do find it amusing that people who have never been to Arizona apparently know that there's more to do in Florida).

But like AZChiSoxFan, I am very happy to have the Sox in Arizona. Gives me an opportunity to see current and future players and also to meet up with fellow WSI'ers, like Manders, Spawn, Mr and Mrs. AZChiSoxFan, Ode (briefly, in a Tucson eatery parking lot a couple of years ago) and others.

And although I'd be fine with the Losers hauling anchor, I doubt that'll happen; Mesa will pony up somehow.

EDit: Whoops, almost forgot. Anyone have a reason why Sox fans should care where the Orioles train?
The thread was under Talking Baseball so its appropiate to talk about the Os moving to Sarasota.
I've been to Arizona and live in Florida and trust me there is lot more to do in the Sunshine State.
A few examples.
You can swim in the Atlantic and the Gulf on the same day besides watching the sun rise on the Atlantic and set on the Gulf.
Cape Kennedy
Tampa and Ybor City
Orlando is the theme park capitol of the USA.
Great sightseeing on South Beach.
Great Golf.
Golf Hall of Fame
Great Fishing.
Great college football teams.
Lots of pro sports, Rays, Marlins, Dolphins, Bucs, Lightning, Panthers to name a few.
The Everglades
St. Augustine, oldest city in the U.S.
Key West(one visit is enough)
Easy access to Cruises
Alligator sightings daily, sometimes in your pool or lanai.
I'm sure I can come up with some more but thats it for now.

MarySwiss
07-22-2009, 07:14 PM
The thread was under Talking Baseball so its appropiate to talk about the Os moving to Sarasota.
I've been to Arizona and live in Florida and trust me there is lot more to do in the Sunshine State.
A few examples.
You can swim in the Atlantic and the Gulf on the same day besides watching the sun rise on the Atlantic and set on the Gulf.
Cape Kennedy
Tampa and Ybor City
Orlando is the theme park capitol of the USA.
Great sightseeing on South Beach.
Great Golf.
Golf Hall of Fame
Great Fishing.
Great college football teams.
Lots of pro sports, Rays, Marlins, Dolphins, Bucs, Lightning, Panthers to name a few.
The Everglades
St. Augustine, oldest city in the U.S.
Key West(one visit is enough)
Easy access to Cruises
Alligator sightings daily, sometimes in your pool or lanai.
I'm sure I can come up with some more but thats it for now.

Who said it wasn't? My comment was why should Sox fans care?

I have no intention of getting into a "Florida vs. Arizona" debate. I have neither the time or the inclination.

So just a few quick points: You may have heard of the Grand Canyon; easy drive to San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and the Arizona High Country if it gets too hot in the Valley. Rumor has it that we also have a golf course or two. And you haven't lived until you've seen an Arizona sunrise/sunset. And I could also come up with more.

Finally, I'll see your alligator and raise you a rattlesnake. :D:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I have a cousin in Tampa and a standing invite to visit him. But I prefer hot and dry to hot and humid--but that's just me. :cool:

BTW, truth or dare: how often have you swum in the Atlantic and the Gulf on the same day?

TDog
07-22-2009, 07:16 PM

If you know how to evaluate pitching talent, there is no problem with training in Arizona. You shouldn't be basing many pitching decisions on how well people do in spring training anyway. There are as many bad reads on pitching talent coming out of Florida as there are coming out of Arizona.

I used to live in Arizona and I have visited Florida spring training facilities. The March weather is much more consistent in Arizona. I didn't like Florida in general, and I don't see why any team that doesn't play on the East Coast would train there.

Most teams seem to be coming around to the idea of training in Arizona. Unfortunately, all the teams are clustering around Phoenix, though.

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Who said it wasn't? My comment was why should Sox fans care?

I have no intention of getting into a "Florida vs. Arizona" debate. I have neither the time or the inclination.

So just a few quick points: You may have heard of the Grand Canyon; easy drive to San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and the Arizona High Country if it gets too hot in the Valley. Rumor has it that we also have a golf course or two. And you haven't lived until you've seen an Arizona sunrise/sunset. And I could also come up with more.

Finally, I'll see your alligator and raise you a rattlesnake. :D:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I have a cousin in Tampa and a standing invite to visit him. But I prefer hot and dry to hot and humid--but that's just me. :cool:

BTW, truth or dare: how often have you swum in the Atlantic and the Gulf on the same day?
To tell you the truth I can't swim a lick,but I said you can do it. I have seen the sunrise on the Atlantic and the set on the Gulf many times.
The Grand Canyon is awesome but the other places are not quick drives.
I can be in Tampa or Miami in 2 hours, and Orlando in 3.
PS We also have rattlesnakes, had one on my stoop one AM.

soxfanreggie
07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I care because they'll be games I'm going to for two reasons: to enjoy watching some baseball with my Dad and any friends that come, as well as being able to scout out teams that we'll play during the year.