PDA

View Full Version : Time to insert Beckham 2nd in the order?

seventyseven
07-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Don't see why not. Alexei's numbers are fine, but is more productive as an RBI guy. Beckham is now hitting close to .300 and can take a walk and bunt. No need to protect him any longer batting 7-9th.

Pods
Beckham
Dye
Thome
Konerko
TCQ
AJP
Alexei
Getz

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd leave well enough alone. Beckham is an RBI guy too.

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2009, 11:36 AM
The hitting's been ok, so I don't think anything needs to be changed.

ChicagoHoosier
07-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I love having Beckham's bat in the bottom of the order.

DumpJerry
07-22-2009, 11:37 AM
No.

dakotasox
07-22-2009, 11:39 AM
It finally happened, I actually agree with voodoo.

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:41 AM
It finally happened, I actually agree with voodoo.

Well after 30K+ posts you throw enough crap at the wall, something is bound to stick...:D:

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Just to elaborate a bit...

Beckham is posting a 1.075 OPS with 19 RBI in 35 AB with runners in scoring position.

He's also posting a 1.213 OPS with 8 RBI in 16 chances with scoring position and 2 outs.

Right now he's almost my first choice to be batting with runners in scoring position. If you want to move him anywhere, move him to third and move all the sluggers down one.

Moses_Scurry
07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I like the idea and the lineup. I don't mind things the way they are either. I don't think you can go wrong either way, so why change it?

PatK
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I love having Beckham's bat in the bottom of the order.

Same here.

hawkjt
07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Gordo is locked in for almost a month...don't change a thing.

oeo
07-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Don't fix what's not broken, and remember that Beckham is still learning a new position. Keep the pressure off, at least this year.

What we should be shuffling around to find something that works is the bullpen, not the lineup.

cws05champ
07-22-2009, 12:28 PM
The Sox have ruined this kid by bringing him up so soon!!

Seriously, what a stroke of luck that we had that 8th overall pick and the Reds did not take him at 7th instead of Yonder Alonso. Looks like good scouting to go along with some luck in the draft. They made the right choice with this one!!!

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
With an OPS over .800 now, and this after a horrible start .... 3 hole is where he eventually should slide into.

I see Gordon as a Mauer type 3 hole hitter. Lots of Doubles and high average.

I say in a few weeks if Gordon stays hot:

Pods
Alexei
Beckham
Dye
Thome
Konerko
Quentin
AJ
Getz

Crazy thing is that I still think Gordon is not anywhere close to hitting the ball square yet. He is not 100% in the zone. The AL will have to watch out when this time comes.

tstrike2000
07-22-2009, 12:54 PM
No, just need to bullpen to calm down a little and we'll be good.

DumpJerry
07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
With an OPS over .800 now, and this after a horrible start .... 3 hole is where he eventually should slide into.

I see Gordon as a Mauer type 3 hole hitter. Lots of Doubles and high average.

I say in a few weeks if Gordon stays hot:

Pods
Alexei
Beckham
Dye
Thome
Konerko
Quentin
AJ
Getz

Crazy thing is that I still think Gordon is not anywhere close to hitting the ball square yet. He is not 100% in the zone. The AL will have to watch out when this time comes.
No.

sox1970
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
It's a tough call. He makes the bottom of the order better, but Beckham batting 9th seems ridiculous. We'll look back at that and laugh someday.

I don't look at Pierzynski as a great hitter or a big RBI guy. I'd rather see AJ and Getz bat 8-9. Quentin and Beckham should be 6-7.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Considering the bottom of the order has been hitting just fine I'd say leave it alone....

Zisk77
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
i read an article the other day where Ozzie said that both Getz and Beckham are suited for the top of the order while alexei was better suited down in the order, However, he felt it was too early to put that much pressure on the rookies right now.

FWIW i think Getz would be the better choice in the 2 spot.

FielderJones
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM
i read an article the other day where Ozzie said that both Getz and Beckham are suited for the top of the order while alexei was better suited down in the order, However, he felt it was too early to put that much pressure on the rookies right now.

I think Ozzie is right to keep pressure off the rookies. Right now, the league has not adjusted to Beckham (and somewhat to Getz). Let the rookies continue to gain confidence that they can flourish at the MLB level. At some point, the league is going to make an adjustment. It would be bad for Beckham to be batting 2 or 3 when that happens.

GAsoxfan
07-22-2009, 01:41 PM

I like the line-up as currently constructed for the remainder of this year. I agree that eventually Getz would be a solid #2 hitter, with Beckham batting third. Hopefully the other Danks can slide into the leadoff spot in 2011.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
No.

You're right.
Beckham sucks.

FielderJones
07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Hopefully the other Danks can slide into the leadoff spot in 2011.

Did you mean to put that in deep pink?

DumpJerry
07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
You're right.
Beckham sucks.
I never said that and you know it.

gobears1987
07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah 23 RBIs in 142 ABs is pretty damn good for the bottom of the order. I wouldn't mind seeing the switch, but I also wouldn't mind seeing things stay as they are.

Lillian
07-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Beckham in the number 2 hole is probably where he would be most productive, but it is reasonable to try to avoid giving him too much responsibility. It might be where he eventually ends up hitting.
He'll hit to right field when pitched away, and that would be great for the hit and run.
His OBP is much higher than Alexei's and he has a better eye.
It's scary to imagine how he might hit batting in front of Dye, Thome, Konerko, and Quentin!!!!!!

BadBobbyJenks
07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Beckham looks like he is going to be the 2 hitter for the next decade, I am fine with the switch anytime Ozzie decides to do it. Alexei is not a 2 hole hitter unless you are playing a video game.

ShoelessJoeS
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

sullythered
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Beckham looks like he is going to be the 2 hitter for the next decade, I am fine with the switch anytime Ozzie decides to do it. Alexei is not a 2 hole hitter unless you are playing a video game.
He looks more like a 3 hitter for the next decade, to me.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
He looks more like a 3 hitter for the next decade, to me.

You and I are about the only two.

voodoochile
07-22-2009, 03:20 PM
You and I are about the only two.

*Cough* *Cough*

Post #8...

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Just to elaborate a bit...

Beckham is posting a 1.075 OPS with 19 RBI in 35 AB with runners in scoring position.

He's also posting a 1.213 OPS with 8 RBI in 16 chances with scoring position and 2 outs.

Right now he's almost my first choice to be batting with runners in scoring position. If you want to move him anywhere, move him to third and move all the sluggers down one.

My bad Voodo. I missed that.

The OPS numbers are sick for a guy who was swinging a metal bat just about a year ago.

He might cap out at 20 HRs per season, but he can hit 50+ doubles easily.

JB98
07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I think Beckham and Getz have been doing a terrific job of turning the lineup over, in addition to producing their fair share of runs. I'd leave it alone.

Next year, I think, the Sox will move Beckham up in the lineup.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I think Beckham and Getz have been doing a terrific job of turning the lineup over, in addition to producing their fair share of runs. I'd leave it alone.

Next year, I think, the Sox will move Beckham up in the lineup.

Getz has started to make me a believer with his bat lately. His glove, a different story.

JB98
07-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Getz has started to make me a believer with his bat lately. His glove, a different story.

On this, you and I have rare agreement. Getz has made significant strides at the plate.

Defensively, he's pretty good at turning the DP, but below par in other areas.

Madscout
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
No reason to screw with a good thing. Keep Gordo where he is.

wmusox9
07-22-2009, 05:56 PM
It's nice not to cringe when our 7-8-9 batters appear on the due up at the bottom of the screen after an inning.
Our current bottom third of the order really makes me forget about those days of Betemit - Miller - Lillibridge. I say leave it alone.

Dibbs
07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I would say keep him where he is for the this year. I would like to see him moved into the three spot eventually. He could put up huge RBI numbers with his ability to drive the ball. I think he could hit 25+ HRs too.

Bernstein and Holmes were on the score the other day saying Beckham isn't that great, and shouldn't be considered untouchable because he isn't a 40+ homer guy. Kind of like Joe Mauer shouldn't be untouchable because he doesn't hit 40+ HRs too, right? Those guys are idiots.

thomas35forever
07-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Hitting Beckham second would put too much pressure on him. The last thing we need right now is for our rookie to crack.

GAsoxfan
07-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Did you mean to put that in deep pink?

Oops. Yeah, I picked the wrong color.

slavko
07-22-2009, 06:49 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

New edition:If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

TDog
07-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Don't see why not. Alexei's numbers are fine, but is more productive as an RBI guy. Beckham is now hitting close to .300 and can take a walk and bunt. No need to protect him any longer batting 7-9th.

Pods
Beckham
Dye
Thome
Konerko
TCQ
AJP
Alexei
Getz

Ramirez is a better hitter than Beckham. If Podsednik gets on base in front of Ramirez, Ramirez will see more fastballs, and that should help the offense.

Beckham is doing very well at the bottom of the order. Because he's a rookie, I expect pitchers will adjust to him, and they might focus more on adjusting to him if he hits higher in the order. That's hypothetical, of course, but I've seen a lot of hitters who hit much better at the bottom of the order.

I simply don't see a reason to move Beckham from the lower third of the order. With Konerko, Pierzyinski and Getz getting on in front of Beckham, he seems to be in a good position to do some damage.

BadBobbyJenks
07-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Ramirez is a better hitter than Beckham. If Podsednik gets on base in front of Ramirez, Ramirez will see more fastballs, and that should help the offense.

I disagree with this thought, I think Beckham is already showing he is a better hitter than Ramirez. He is also a better fit in the two hole.

Rohan
07-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Pods
Beckham
Dye
Thome
Konerko
TCQ
AJP
Alexei
Getz

How many good bunts have you counted?

TDog
07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I disagree with this thought, I think Beckham is already showing he is a better hitter than Ramirez. He is also a better fit in the two hole.

Both Ramirez and Beckham seem to be very good hitters. Ramirez seems to be a better fastball hitter. Beckham seems better at handling breaking balls. There are good reasons why Ramirez is hitting No. 2, behind Posdednik, and I haven't seen any arguments in this thread that will convince Guillen to drop him to the bottom of the order to put more pressure on the rookie.

TomBradley72
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I would definitely move Beckham to the #2 slot...I don't see any evidence that he can't handle the pressure, etc.

Put Ramirez down in the order where he can be the free swinging RBI guy...Beckham has the inside out swing and ability to get a bunt down that makes him a better natural fit of #2...it's a force fit with Ramirez there.

Mohoney
07-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Hitting Beckham second would put too much pressure on him. The last thing we need right now is for our rookie to crack.
For the record, I would leave Beckham alone. Don't mess with something that isn't broken. However, if the offense goes ice cold at some point, I can see an argument for putting Beckham #2.

If the guy in your sig keeps getting on base like this, is it possible that sandwiching Beckham between Pods and Dye could actually result in less pressure because of better pitches to hit?

I'd love to see Beckham get some flat fastballs to crush when the opposing pitcher has to go from the stretch.