PDA

View Full Version : Comeback Player of the Year

Moses_Scurry
07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
:pods:

I got this thing in the bag!

:walnuts

*ahem*

Who are the main candidates from other teams?

illinibk
07-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Russell Branyan has been having a phenomenal year. Hard to look past his accomplishments either .278/23/52

Madvora
07-21-2009, 12:09 PM
PK is not really coming back from anything other than sucking last year. Do they count that? I don't know how this award works.

bigdommer
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Not sure, but it is usually given to someone who was good, fell off the map (poor performance, injury, PED's), and rebounded with a stellar year.

Branyan was never good, so I would cross him off. Pods and PK would be on my list. Other names: Todd Helton, Torii Hunter, Zack Greinke (but he was good last year, awesome this year), Jason Marquis, Justin Verlander.

I realize some are NL guys.

07-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Konerko posted similar bad numbers in 2003 and he won the award after having a good 2004. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year_ Award

Can he do that twice? Can you "comeback" again?

How about we award wallnuts "Streaky Player of the Decade" award.

slavko
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd like to see Scotty Dangerous figure out how to comeback on a flyball.

mzh
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Konerko posted similar bad numbers in 2003 and he won the award after having a good 2004. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year_ Award

Can he do that twice? Can you "comeback" again?

How about we award wallnuts "Streaky Player of the Decade" award.

Andres Galarraga, Brett Saberhagen, Norm Cash, Boog Powell, and Rick Sutcliffe all won the award twice.

White Sox to win the award: Eric Soderholm (1977), Bo Jackson (1993), Frank Thomas (2000), Paul Konerko (2004), and Jim Thome (2006)

07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
For AL consideration I would say that it is between Pods and Branyan. With Inge a distant third (as much as I dislike him) but I think an All-Star selection does help ones chances in the writers minds. The case for Branyan is that he is someone who came up with potential then never really panned out until he caught on in the right system. As for the poster who stated that Branyan should be scratched because he was never good, look at last years finalists Josh Hamilton was never good and he finished second. I think Pods has a legit shot if he keeps up what he is doing and would love for him to get it.

**I think they merged it into one award for both AL & NL a few years ago so Pods would have some serious competition in Jason Marquis

mzh
07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
**I think they merged it into one award for both AL & NL a few years ago so Pods would have some serious competition in Jason Marquis

No, It's still AL and NL awards. Cliff Lee and Brad Lidge won last year, remember?

areilly
07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know who would be a more logical recipient than Pods. Paulie was hurt, but Pods was entirely out of baseball.

Marquis might be most improved, but he's been pretty lousy since 2006.

TDog
07-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Comeback player of the year, more than any other is a feel-good award that often has to do with the story behind the statistics, even since it was officially sanctioned a few years ago. Carlos May blows off a thumb, and six months later he's back to hitting home runs and he should have been recognized as the Sporting News Comeback Player of the Year just one season after he is named The Sporting News Rookie of the Year. Actually, he was recognized despite having similar stats -- with fewer home runs -- than the season he was coming back from. Instead it went to Clyde "Skeeter" Wright, who pitched a no-hitter and won 22 games a season after winning only one. It would be five years before he would father Jaret Wright, so that wasn't a factor in the vote.

Bo Jackson did win the award with the White Sox when he came back to help them achieve greatness after looked like his career was done, not because he answered his country's call to military service, but because he made the mistake of pursuing a football career.

I have forgotten the player and the season, but a writer asked him if he thought he should get the Comeback of the Year award, and he replied that they give those awards to people who have something to come back from. So it may be with Russell Branyan.

There has always been something almost Shakespearean in this award -- the harder the fall, the greater the rise, the better the story. Scott Podsednik was a World Series hero who because of his poor play found himself out of a job during a severe recession. He returns to his old team, which seems to be meandering aimlessly through the season and provides them with the spark they need to become a contender.

Someone may have a better, more compelling story. The season hasn't played out yet. But Scott Podsednik seems to be the comeback player on the White Sox.

eriqjaffe
07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
If Contreras puts together a good second half, he may garner some consideration as well.

TDog
07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
If Contreras puts together a good second half, he may garner some consideration as well.

That's an interesting thought. And if Quentin has a great second half, if a rehabbing starter comes back and becomes an automatic starter in the 1983 White Sox sense, you could consider the White Sox the comeback team, even though they won the division in 2008 after coming back from oblivion in 2007.

Madvora
07-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Carlos May blows off a thumb, and six months later he's back to hitting home runs
I'm too young to have seen Carlos May play, but how did this actually work? Did he get a prosthetic thumb or something? Did it really get "blown off?" I can't imagine being a capable major league hitter without a thumb.

ode to veeck
07-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm too young to have seen Carlos May play, but how did this actually work? Did he get a prosthetic thumb or something? Did it really get "blown off?" I can't imagine being a capable major league hitter without a thumb.

He lost the top half of his thumb while on reserve duty. He was still a good hitter after he recovered and returned with part of the thumb, but he had started out as totally phenomenal.

ode to veeck
07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
If Contreras puts together a good second half, he may garner some consideration as well.\

Not if Pods completes the year he's already having; he's been a bona fide leadoff star all season, and the key to the Sox offense.

bigdommer
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
For AL consideration I would say that it is between Pods and Branyan. With Inge a distant third (as much as I dislike him) but I think an All-Star selection does help ones chances in the writers minds. The case for Branyan is that he is someone who came up with potential then never really panned out until he caught on in the right system. As for the poster who stated that Branyan should be scratched because he was never good, look at last years finalists Josh Hamilton was never good and he finished second. I think Pods has a legit shot if he keeps up what he is doing and would love for him to get it.

I said that about Branyan never being good. Hamilton was never good, but he was a "can't miss" prospect who was out of baseball with severe drug issues. Branyan was a flawed prospect who is now batting behind Ichiro getting tons of fastballs. Nevertheless, Branyan is on my short list.

Personally, I think Pods would make the most sense, as the guy was pretty much an afterthought and out of the game, and now he is a leadoff catalysts for a potential playoff team that was dead in the water. I think Verlander has bounced back nicely (1.5 lower ERA, a chance to double his wins and cut his losses in half). However, it would be tough to give it to a guy who is 26 years old.

BigP50
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
\

Not if Pods completes the year he's already having; he's been a bona fide leadoff star all season, and the key to the Sox offense.

but horrible on D (aka last night) juts kidding but that was pretty bad, I have no idea how he thought that was out it was barely half way up the wall. But Scotty Pods was like 3-3 with a walk and 2 runs.

Scotty is da man

4 points
07-27-2009, 06:11 AM
You heard it here 1st, Verlander hands down.:whiner:

Boondock Saint
07-27-2009, 08:50 AM
You heard it here 1st, Verlander hands down.:whiner:

*yawn*

Justin Verlander just sucked for a year. That isn't a comeback as much as it is bouncing back. Scott Podsednik spent a sizable portion of the last four seasons injured and ineffective.

Pods wins by a country mile.

parlaycard
07-27-2009, 09:26 AM
*yawn*

Justin Verlander just sucked for a year. That isn't a comeback as much as it is bouncing back. Scott Podsednik spent a sizable portion of the last four seasons injured and ineffective.

Pods wins by a country mile.

Could you please explain to me the difference between coming back and bouncing back? Im joking, because there is no difference.

The Sox fans need to take the Hawk bias out. Verlander is the easy winner here. Podsednik is playing well, and hes a great story. But he isnt what the media is looking for as far as a guy to vote for. He doesnt hit a lot of home runs, he isnt a flashy player. You dont see him on sportscenter much, etc.

Verlander's stats 2008 11-17 ERA 4.84 WHIP 1.40 108 ER 163 K's 87 BB 39.3% QS
2009 11-5 ERA 3.12 WHIP 1.19 48 ER 159 K's 43 BB 66.6% QS

This is a pretty amazing comback based strictly on his numbers. Based on these numbers, Podsednik has about a zero percent chance of winning the award. Unless they open up the voting to the fans.

I like Podsdenik, and I understand the Sox would be quite a bit worse if it werent for him, but he is having a good year, not a great year. Verlander will be a strong Cy Young candidate.

Lastly, let me nip this in the bud before someone starts a thread. Podsednik is not an MVP candidate.

Boondock Saint
07-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Could you please explain to me the difference between coming back and bouncing back? Im joking, because there is no difference.

The Sox fans need to take the Hawk bias out. Verlander is the easy winner here. Podsednik is playing well, and hes a great story. But he isnt what the media is looking for as far as a guy to vote for. He doesnt hit a lot of home runs, he isnt a flashy player. You dont see him on sportscenter much, etc.

Verlander's stats 2008 11-17 ERA 4.84 WHIP 1.40 108 ER 163 K's 87 BB 39.3% QS
2009 11-5 ERA 3.12 WHIP 1.19 48 ER 159 K's 43 BB 66.6% QS

This is a pretty amazing comback based strictly on his numbers. Based on these numbers, Podsednik has about a zero percent chance of winning the award. Unless they open up the voting to the fans.

I like Podsdenik, and I understand the Sox would be quite a bit worse if it werent for him, but he is having a good year, not a great year. Verlander will be a strong Cy Young candidate.

Lastly, let me nip this in the bud before someone starts a thread. Podsednik is not an MVP candidate.

What I'm saying is that Verlander just had one bad season. He's having an outstanding season now, but it's kind of just a return to his typical stats when he's on top of his game. Scott Podsednik was all but out of baseball before Kenny Williams picked him up. He'd been let go by the Rockies, and nobody else wanted him. I just think that Pods' story is more along the lines of "comeback" than Verlander's.

Domeshot17
07-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Russell Branyan has a shot, although I can't remember if he ever had a good season