PDA

View Full Version : Jason Marquis has won 12 games

Madscout
07-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Only in the NL West.

PKalltheway
07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't look now, but the NL West and the AL East are the only two divisions with three 50-win teams right now. The NL West isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. The NL Wild Card could possibly come out of that division this year, too.

BleacherBandit
07-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Only in the NL West.

So what. I think he would have produced for the Cubs this season. They're idiots.

slavko
07-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Do you think he'll be left off the playoff roster this time? He has gotten some serious disrespect at playoff time in the past.

Foulke You
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Don't look now, but the NL West and the AL East are the only two divisions with three 50-win teams right now. The NL West isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. The NL Wild Card could possibly come out of that division this year, too.Please tell me you aren't comparing the NL West to the AL East. The mighty Giants have Benjie Molina batting clean up and Juan Uribe batting 3rd at times this year.

Madscout
07-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't look now, but the NL West and the AL East are the only two divisions with three 50-win teams right now. The NL West isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. The NL Wild Card could possibly come out of that division this year, too.

Yes, but look at the bottom of that division. The padres and dbacks are just horrible. The Rox are nothing special, and the Giants are mediocre at best.

Just because the Dodgers look legit doesn't say that the division is great.

Craig Grebeck
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Yes, but look at the bottom of that division. The padres and dbacks are just horrible. The Rox are nothing special, and the Giants are mediocre at best.

Just because the Dodgers look legit doesn't say that the division is great.
Please. The Giants have elite pitching.

Madscout
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM

So they do.

But as someone else pointed out, Uribe has batted 3rd for them. Name a AL team where that would be the case.

Craig Grebeck
07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
So they do.

But as someone else pointed out, Uribe has batted 3rd for them. Name a AL team where that would be the case.
Same game. Name an AL team with that pitching.

Madscout
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Same game. Name an AL team with that pitching.

Good point. I would say the Blue Jays and Mariners are close, if you go by straight ERA.

However, I will say this is a chicken or the egg deal, is the pitching good because the hitters suck, or do the hitters suck because the pitching is good. In which case, we know what Uribe can do in the AL. We don't know what Lincecum and Cain can do with a season in the AL, though I am not dumb enough to suggest that they would be too much worse.

schmitty9800
07-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Marquis has done well against some good teams...2 wins vs. LAD, 1 win vs. STL, 1 win vs. PHI...

He's been a bit lucky this season and his HR/FB rate is probably unsustainable, but if the price isn't high I wouldn't mind seeing him at the Cell.

TDog
07-21-2009, 02:51 PM

The Giants really have a very good team, and it is all about the ptiching. I expect them to be the NL wild card, only because I don't expect them to catch the Dodgers. And last year, the Giants were a bad team with good pitching. Adding Randy Johnson has helped. And Zito isn't as bad this year as he was last year. Sanchez seems to be maturing. Brian Wilson is a very good closer. He has four blown saves, but he is still better than most of the closers in the league.

The Giants are last in on-base percentage. Their cleanup hitter is hitting in the .260s and has an on-base percentage in the .270s, I believe. He also makes Paul Konerko look like Carl Crawford on the bases. But they have a couple of good young hitters that are emerging. Pablo Sandoval probably should have made the All-Star team. Nate Schierholz is looking very good, too.

Just because a team has Rowand leading off and Uribe batting third. I thought Crede should have signed with the Giants (of course, Crede already knows a lot of pitchers in the AL Central, and the Twins figured to be a more comfortable transition), but if Crede were playing third, Sandoval might not have been given a chance to play as much as he has.

Madscout
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Marquis has done well against some good teams...2 wins vs. LAD, 1 win vs. STL, 1 win vs. PHI...

He's been a bit lucky this season and his HR/FB rate is probably unsustainable, but if the price isn't high I wouldn't mind seeing him at the Cell.

God help us.

PKalltheway
07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Please tell me you aren't comparing the NL West to the AL East. The mighty Giants have Benjie Molina batting clean up and Juan Uribe batting 3rd at times this year.
Just look it up. The standings speak for themselves. I'm not trying to say that the NL West has the same amount of talent that the AL East has. I'm just trying to say that the NL West isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Otherwise, they wouldn't have three 50-win teams at this point. That has mostly been because of solid pitching.

Medford Bobby
07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
The Rockies are in the playoffs if the season ended today as a wild card team...amazing!!:scratch:

Madscout
07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Just look it up. The standings speak for themselves. I'm not trying to say that the NL West has the same amount of talent that the AL East has. I'm just trying to say that the NL West isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Otherwise, they wouldn't have three 50-win teams at this point. That has mostly been because of solid pitching.

False. There is no way, NO WAY, you can call the pitching in CO solid.

DSpivack
07-21-2009, 11:15 PM

Their pen is bad, but their starters have been both good and healthy.

PKalltheway
07-21-2009, 11:49 PM
How else have they been contending? How else are they leading the Wild Card right now. Their team ERA is 4.26, which puts them at 14th in the majors, and they are 8th in the NL. Considering that they play their home games in Coors Field, I'd venture to say that's pretty solid. The stats don't lie.

If the Rockies had **** pitching, they wouldn't be contending right now. They would be just like most of their teams in franchise history, sans 1995 and 2007.

manders_01
07-22-2009, 12:03 AM
I realize I have some serious Rockies bias but really??? :?: I'm not getting the not giving the Rockies their due. They have certainly earned it. In May, they weren't even remotely close to being a playoff team, never mind a winning team. Since Tracy's promotion, they have turned it around in a huge way. Well over .500 and dare I write it :duck:, they have a better record than the Sox (and before the discussion of the Sox playing harder teams comes up, in my opinion, the Rox opponents since June 1st are nothing to scoff at).

Madscout
07-22-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm sorry. I have seen plenty of Rox games being in Breckenridge, and all I see is pitchers falling behind in counts and batters letting them off the hook. I saw more 2-0 counts in that game last night then I ever see in AL games, and I know you can't do that in the AL or you will be destroyed.

captainclutch24
07-22-2009, 03:44 AM
The NL West is a better division this year than it has been in recent years but it is only the fourth best division ahead of both central divisions. AL Central is probably the weakest division in baseball. Ranking the Divisions I would say

1. AL East
2. AL West
3. NL East
4. NL West
5. NL Central
6. AL Central

Madscout
07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
The NL West is a better division this year than it has been in recent years but it is only the fourth best division ahead of both central divisions. AL Central is probably the weakest division in baseball. Ranking the Divisions I would say

1. AL East
2. AL West
3. NL East
4. NL West
5. NL Central
6. AL Central

It has already been pointed out that the AL Central had its way with the NL Central. I put no NL Division top to bottom in front of any AL division. No way no how. If you took the Indians and put them in the NL, they would be ahead of both teams who are currently in 4 and 5th (or 5th and 6th) place.
1. AL East
2. AL West
3. AL Central
4. NL East
5. NL West
6. NL Central

PKalltheway
07-23-2009, 01:20 AM
If you took the Indians and put them in the NL, they would be ahead of both teams who are currently in 4 and 5th (or 5th and 6th) place.

Yeah, the Indians and their sparkling 5-13 record in interleague this season would be sooo much better than their NL opponents....the Indians have struggled more in interleague in the last three seasons (2007, 2008 and 2009) than any of their AL counterparts by far going 20-34 against the Senior Circuit.