PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Torres called up - will start Wednesday

Sockinchisox
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Torres was scratched form his start tonight, and a Sox source says he will be promoted. I'm putting this here because it's still a rumor but it's probably likely.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/carlos-torres-could-be-headed-to-white-sox-from-triplea-charlotte.html

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Torres was scratched form his start tonight, and a Sox source says he will be promoted. I'm putting this here because it's still a rumor but it's probably likely.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/carlos-torres-could-be-headed-to-white-sox-from-triplea-charlotte.html

I would want Charlie Hough to pull out the old spikes from the garage and pitch Tuesday in place of Richard.

Bring this kid up!!!

DumpJerry
07-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Instead of Big Bart or Sweaty perhaps?

I know, they secretly converted him into a CFer.

DirtySox
07-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Interesting. His stuff looked good in the AAA All-Star Game. He has a nice tight curveball.

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Who goes down :scratch:

Fields?

DirtySox
07-21-2009, 12:59 AM

Fields?

Poreda? Who knows.

oeo
07-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Poreda? Who knows.

That's what I say. It appears Poreda needs to be pitching more, he's completely lost his control. Move Richard into his role, let Poreda start down there.

SephClone89
07-21-2009, 01:09 AM

Fields?

While he's not great by any span of the imagination, you absolutely cannot demote Fields.

SoxNation05
07-21-2009, 01:56 AM
While he's not great by any span of the imagination, you absolutely cannot demote Fields.
Not disagreeing, but may I ask why?

Sockinchisox
07-21-2009, 02:10 AM
Not disagreeing, but may I ask why?

He's our only back up at first.

HebrewHammer
07-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Is Carlos Torres Spanish for Josh Stewart?

I forgot what it was like to not have a 5th starter. It's been what? 4 years of reasonably adequate 5th starters? I guarantee Carlos won't be the last zombie we trot out after Buerhle, Danks, Floyd and Contreras have pitched.

Let's see, Richard, Colon and now Torres. This 5th starter monster has 3 heads. That's not nearly enough.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-21-2009, 04:39 AM
It's nice to see him get a chance. I hope Richard is the odd man out. Let Poreda start and use Torres out of the pen. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing him start either.

white sox bill
07-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Let's see, Richard, Colon and now Torres. This 5th starter monster has 3 heads. That's not nearly enough.

Don't forget about me :garcia:

jabrch
07-21-2009, 07:26 AM
It's nice to see him get a chance. I hope Richard is the odd man out. Let Poreda start and use Torres out of the pen. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing him start either.

Richard would be good to move back to the pen. He's pretty solid the first time through a lineup.

The Immigrant
07-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Torres will be long relief insurance for Richard and Colon. If both of them crap out, he might get a shot at starting.

hawkjt
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Torres will be long relief insurance for Richard and Colon. If both of them crap out, he might get a shot at starting.

Makes sense...so Poreda is the obvious candidate to go down until we identify the 5th guy? Clay,Bart,Freddy, or Torres..please someone be the guy.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Does Torres have better stuff than the soft-tossing Wes Whisler?

Chez
07-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Richard would be good to move back to the pen. He's pretty solid the first time through a lineup.

Completely agree.

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
is this official yet?

Sockinchisox
07-21-2009, 12:05 PM
is this official yet?

Nope, still a rumor, wait till tonight's game I suppose.

Sockinchisox
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Gonzales says it's official, Torres called up to back-up Richard for tonight, Poreda to Charlotte.

http://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/2759856320

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Gonzales says it's official, Torres called up to back-up Richard for tonight, Poreda to Charlotte.

http://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/2759856320

I think it only makes sense to pull the move today. TB does not have a scouting report on Torres. He is up here, he should start. Richard should go to the pen as the 2nd lefty imediately.

oeo
07-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it only makes sense to pull the move today. TB does not have a scouting report on Torres. He is up here, he should start. Richard should go to the pen as the 2nd lefty imediately.

At the same time, the Rays are only 15-19 against left-handed starters. Richard might be able to pull off a solid 5 or 6 tonight.

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2009, 12:35 PM
At the same time, the Rays are only 15-19 against left-handed starters. Richard might be able to pull off a solid 5 or 6 tonight.

Richard's wildness is what scares me. Walk + Walk then a 3 run shot. And we know the Rays can hit them out. Also his throwing to 1B leaves a ton to be desired especially with a very fast team. I'm upton and Crawford, I'm bunting all 4 times up.

Chez
07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Not sure I understand the timing. If Torres is being called up to start in Detroit on Friday, they should wait until Friday to make the move! Now the Sox are an arm short in the bullpen for the rest of the Tampa series. This only makes sense if Torres is replacing Poreda in the bullpen and someone else, like Colon, is getting the start on Friday.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Not sure I understand the timing. If Torres is being called up to start in Detroit on Friday, they should wait until Friday to make the move! Now the Sox are an arm short in the bullpen for the rest of the Tampa series. This only makes sense if Torres is replacing Poreda in the bullpen and someone else, like Colon, is getting the start on Friday.

They had said that Colon would start on Friday as long as his knee is okay.

As for Torres, he's there to pick up the pieces if Richard falls apart as usual after 4 innings. If that is the case and Torres comes in and pitches well, I think he earns the fifth starter slot and Richard goes to the pen.

thedudeabides
07-21-2009, 12:52 PM

He's stretched out and ready to go. If Richard can't make it out of the first couple of innings he can come in. Then, they can reset the rotation to pitch him Saturday. I don't know what happens to the roster when Colon is activated. Somebody else has to go.

hawkjt
07-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Ya think Coop,Ozzie and Kenny have not covered all the options and possibilities? I suspect they have a plan with this move.

I would guess that Torres is insurance against either Richard or Colon blowing up early...might mean using DJ too much to be long man on friday,or even using Torres tonite in the long role and bringing Poreda back by the weekend...many possibilities here.

Chez
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Ya think Coop,Ozzie and Kenny have not covered all the options and possibilities? I suspect they have a plan with this move.

I would guess that Torres is insurance against either Richard or Colon blowing up early...might mean using DJ too much to be long man on friday,or even using Torres tonite in the long role and bringing Poreda back by the weekend...many possibilities here.

Unless another pitcher goes on the DL, I don't think Poreda is eligible to return this weekend. And if Colon starts Friday, someone has to be sent down (Richard? Torres?). But, as you said, I'm sure KW, Ozzie and Coop have got a plan. It's just not readily apparent to me.

cws05champ
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Unless another pitcher goes on the DL, I don't think Poreda is eligible to return this weekend. And if Colon starts Friday, someone has to be sent down (Richard? Torres?). But, as you said, I'm sure KW, Ozzie and Coop have got a plan. It's just not readily apparent to me.

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1900000/TDK-Joker-the-joker-1958918-320-264.gif
Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

ohthosechisox
07-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Joe Cowley is now saying that Torres is starting in place of Danks on Wednesday.
https://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/2764693492

:o:

Baron
07-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Bad Finger...What is exactly wrong with his finger

LauraJ14
07-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Bad Finger...What is exactly wrong with his finger

Tribune says Danks has a blister on his left index finger and should miss one start.

JermaineDye05
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Yikes that's the last person I'd like to see miss a start aside from Buehrle. However with Danks' track record against the Rays, this is a big loss.

thomas35forever
07-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Too bad about Danks, but I'd like to see what Torres can do.

russ99
07-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Too bad about Danks, but I'd like to see what Torres can do.

Excellent. Torres has earned a call-up, and we need other options than Colon and Garcia.

But hey, If Kenny wants to make a deal to add a starter, that would be OK too...

DrCrawdad
07-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Is Carlos Torres Spanish for Josh Stewart?

I forgot what it was like to not have a 5th starter. It's been what? 4 years of reasonably adequate 5th starters? I guarantee Carlos won't be the last zombie we trot out after Buerhle, Danks, Floyd and Contreras have pitched.

Oh man, I remember when I was pining for Felix Diaz (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/diazfe01.shtml). That's just another example of why I don't evaluate baseball talent for a living.

Baron
07-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Is anyone else excited to see Torres play tomorrow? Im pretty excited have heard good things about him

BigP50
07-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Is anyone else excited to see Torres play tomorrow? Im pretty excited have heard good things about him

I am, I really like watchin rookie pitchers. You can kind of tell if the player will help u in da future.

JB98
07-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Excited isn't the right word. Intrigued would be the proper word choice to describe my feelings about the Torres start.

DirtySox
07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Has it been mentioned that the Orioles and Braves have been scouting this series? Jim Fregosi Special Assistant to Braves GM was there tonight.

Edit: Meant to post this in the postgame thread.

BigP50
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
I think the word might even be nervous just for the fact that he will be pitching against an excellent lineup.

DumpJerry
07-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Has it been mentioned that the Orioles and Braves have been scouting this series? Jim Fregosi Special Assistant to Braves GM was there tonight.

Edit: Meant to post this in the postgame thread.
They're checking out Carl Crawford.

soxinem1
07-22-2009, 11:58 AM

I just wonder if he's a right-handed clone of Arnie Munoz. After all, you have to wonder about the prospects of a 27 year-old guy who has never even been a regular starter in the minors.

Iron Dragon2
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
CRAP!!!! This is the first game we're going to since 2005, and we could have seen Danks pitch. Now we get to see some AAA call-up instead. Yippie.

BigP50
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
CRAP!!!! This is the first game we're going to since 2005, and we could have seen Danks pitch. Now we get to see some AAA call-up instead. Yippie.

dont think of it in a negative way, think that you might see this kids first win in the majors! yea!!!!

Iron Dragon2
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
dont think of it in a negative way, think that you might see this kids first win in the majors! yea!!!!

I would love to think that. However, I'm a Sox fan, and am very familiar with 5th starter call-up recent history.

Hoping for the best. Also hoping the Rays score less than 10.

wilburaga
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Let's hope Carlos does a tad better in his starting debut than one Arnaldo Munoz. What a waste of Juanny Boy's career RBI day.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B06190MON2004.htm

W

DSpivack
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Let's hope Carlos does a tad better in his starting debut than one Arnaldo Munoz. What a waste of Juanny Boy's career RBI day.

W

Wow, I don't even remember the Sox ever playing in Montreal. Guess there's a reason why I don't.

Rohan
07-22-2009, 05:09 PM

W

Remember Felix Diaz's debut against the Cubbies? He shut em down.

Mendoza Line
07-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Wow, I don't even remember the Sox ever playing in Montreal. Guess there's a reason why I don't.

I remember that game vividly. After the Sox were down by 11, they came back from a commercial break and Hawk said "We have 'em right where we want 'em!" That was hilarious. The fact that we nearly won that game was amazing.