PDA

View Full Version : Good first impressions

A. Cavatica
07-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Name the Sox players who made a very strong first impression on you, regardless of whether they lived up to it later.

Mine: Carlos Lee.

mzh
07-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Chris Getz. Way to start a career :D:

dakotasox
07-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Keith Foulke

Bobby Thigpen
07-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Frank Thomas
Sammy Sosa
Jon Rauch

Noneck
07-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Francisco Carlos

WhiteSoxOnly
07-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Salome Barojas

Britt Burns
07-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Beside the obvious ones-Frank, Robin, Magglio-after watching them but a few times I was convinced that Matt Merullo and Warren Newsome were going to be good players. Ooops.

Huisj
07-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Bob Howry. He had some gutsy performances throwing gas out of the pen against Cleveland back when the Indians totally owned the Sox in '98.

cards press box
07-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Francisco Carlos

Is this the same Cisco Carlos who shut out the Tigers 4-0 in the 2nd game of a Sunday doubleheader on September 10, 1967 after Joel Horlen no-hit the Tigers in Game 1? I can still remember listening to the last couple of innings of Horlen's no-hitter with my brother on the front porch or our house. What a game!

I'll throw out two players who made a strong first impression with me: Britt Burns and Ray Durham.

Noneck
07-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Is this the same Cisco Carlos who shut out the Tigers 4-0 in the 2nd game of a Sunday doubleheader on September 10, 1967 after Joel Horlen no-hit the Tigers in Game 1? I can still remember listening to the last couple of innings of Horlen's no-hitter with my brother on the front porch or our house. What a game!

Yes, The Cisco Kid

soxfanreggie
07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Bobby Thigpen

Goodman6
07-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Tommie Agee - ROY - 1966. He hit a 2-run homer off of Dean Chance on opening day, 1966 to tie the game and then the Sox went on to win the game 3 - 2 in 14 innings.

Rohan
07-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Brian Anderson

And Willie Hair!

michned
07-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Kevin Bell. It may have been Harry just completely hyping him up to help Bill Veeck out.

TDog
07-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Pablo Torreabla in the second game of the 1978 season, came into the game in relief of Ron Schueler who had relieved Francisco Barrios. I was freezing my butt off in Old Comiskey and didn't even know Torreabla was on the team. I missed the news that the White Sox sent Steve Renko to Oakland for him at the eve of the season. The Red Sox were beating the White Sox 5-2 in the sixth. Torreabla pitched 3.2 innings, giving up just one hit. The Sox came back with four runs in the eighth to take the . Torreabla walked Rick Burleson with two out in the ninth and was pulled for closer Lerrin LaGrow, who got Jim Rice with a fly out to Ralph Garr in left for the save. Torreabla did pitch a complete game shutout in May, but overall, it wasn't a very good season for him, and his major league career was over after three games in 1979.

Wilson Alvarez, of course, pitched a no-hitter in his first White Sox start. Miguel Olivo and Carlos Lee homered in their first major league at bats for the White Sox. Bob Christian and Wil Cordero homered in their first White Sox at bats. Paul Edmonson pitched a complete-game two hitter against the Angels in his major league debut for the White Sox.

Dave Gallager got two hits, including a triple in three at bats in his first game with the White Sox in 1989. But he made a good first impression on me a month earlier, when I talked with him while he was working out as a minor leaguer in Arizona. He was a really nice guy.

waldo_the_wolf
07-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Joe Borchard. When he homered in his first game, I thought he'd be great. That didn't exactly happen. Although, if not for him, the Sox wouldn't have Matt Thornton.

tsoxman
07-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Mike Cameron.

LITTLE NELL
07-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Luis Aparicio*
Floyd Robinson
Pete Ward
Gary Peters*
Tommy Agee*
Harold Baines
Ozzie Guillen*
Robin Ventura
Black Jack
Frank Thomas
Mags

4 of them won Rookie of the Year honors*
All but Ozzie and Ward were products of the Sox farm system

eastchicagosoxfan
07-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Ron Kittle

Madvora
07-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Shingo Takatsu
Tadahito Iguchi
Bobby Jenks

Goodman6
07-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Luis Aparicio*
Floyd Robinson
Pete Ward
Gary Peters*
Tommy Agee*
Harold Baines
Ozzie Guillen*
Robin Ventura
Black Jack
Frank Thomas
Mags

Don't like to correct you Little Nell as that is not my M.O., but Tommie Agee was actually a product of the Cleveland Indians farm system. He spent only 1 year in the Sox farm system. He was acquired in a 3-way deal in January, 1965 between the Sox, Cleveland and K.C. In that deal, the Sox acquired Agee, Tommy John and Johnny Romano.

MISoxfan
07-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Miguel Olivo

Iwritecode
07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Billy Koch the day he refused to sign a ball for a guy wearing a Cubs jersey at Soxfest. :D:

Law11
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Daryl Boston. I kind of remember his first game with a few triples.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Lyle Muton and Jeff Liefer.

I saw those two guys without even taking a swing and I thought damn these guys look like ballplayers. Muton was as tall as the Big Hurt too. And he sucked.

seventyseven
07-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Craig Wilson

eriqjaffe
07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Billy Koch the day he refused to sign a ball for a guy wearing a Cubs jersey at Soxfest. :D:Who the heck would wear a Cubs jersey to Soxfest in the first place? :loco:

Domeshot17
07-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Danks

I also thought Mike Sirotka was going to be insanely awesome, but I guess that had more to do with shoulder problems

Chez
07-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Francisco Carlos

I saw him throw a gem against Boston in '67 -- my first Sox game.

peelwonder
07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Russ Morman

Rocky Soprano
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Miguel Olivo
Brandon McCarthy
Brian Anderson

Moses_Scurry
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I was a big John Snyder fan when he opened a season with a 1.something ERA over his first 5 or 6 starts. I want to say it was 1999, but it could have been '98. IIRC he was included in the the trade with the devil himself, Jaime Navarro to get Jose Valentin and Cal Eldred from the Brewers.

PaleHoser
07-20-2009, 10:47 AM
You beat me to Jon Snyder.

I'll add Jason Bere, since I haven't seen him listed yet. Started his career 24-7 before the wheels came off.

HomeFish
07-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Willie Harris. He hit two doubles in his first game as a White Sock. July 26, 2002 against the KC Royals.

HomeFish
07-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Also, among non Sox players, Alex Rios. The first time the Sox played him, Rooney and Farmer just could not shut up about how incredible Alex Rios was, and declared that he would be the next big star in the AL.

gobears1987
07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I'd say Beckham and Danks made great first impressions. Danks went toe to toe with Santana and only made that one mistake in his Major League debut. Sadly that mistake pitch ended up being a 3 run homer. That was probably the coldest game I've ever been to.

Iwritecode
07-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Who the heck would wear a Cubs jersey to Soxfest in the first place? :loco:

The same ones that come to Sox games with them on while the Sox are playing another AL team.

I don't understand it either... :scratch:

mantis1212
07-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Juan Uribe- can't believe no one mentioned him yet.

First couple months of being on the team I remember him hitting over .400, forcing Ozzie to start him over Willie Harris when he was penciled in as a backup.

HomeFish
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
At some point in 2004, Uribe and Willie were batting #1 and #2 in the lineup, both hitting over .400.

LITTLE NELL
07-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Don't like to correct you Little Nell as that is not my M.O., but Tommie Agee was actually a product of the Cleveland Indians farm system. He spent only 1 year in the Sox farm system. He was acquired in a 3-way deal in January, 1965 between the Sox, Cleveland and K.C. In that deal, the Sox acquired Agee, Tommy John and Johnny Romano.
I stand corrected, old timers disease may be setting in.

asindc
07-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Carlos Quentin. Early last year when the Sox came to Baltimore, if I recall correctly, he hit two HRs that game, and almost hit a third out. Two Cleveland fans were sitting in front of me and after the 2nd HR they asked what we gave up to get him. When I told them an A-ball 1st baseman they said, "Why can't our GM make deals like that?"

thomas35forever
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Bobby Jenks. In his first appearance (a non-save situation), he retired the side in order. The rest, as they say, is history.

ajismyhero
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Charlie Haegar!! I still miss him. He pitched in the Triple A Allstar game this year.

DumpJerry
07-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Carlos Quentin. Early last year when the Sox came to Baltimore, if I recall correctly, he hit two HRs that game, and almost hit a third out. Two Cleveland fans were sitting in front of me and after the 2nd HR they asked what we gave up to get him. When I told them an A-ball 1st baseman they said, "Why can't our GM make deals like that?"
Because he was too busy shining in Executive of the Year 2005 plaque.

SOXfnNlansing
07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
you beat me to jon snyder.

I'll add jason bere, since i haven't seen him listed yet. Started his career 24-7 before the wheels came off.

+1

SOXfnNlansing
07-20-2009, 04:31 PM

I was in the Virgin Islands watching that Sunday night game vs Angels when Carlos single handedly won that game. I was at a bar with mostly East coast fans and they all said he looks like a steal. The Phillies' fans were praising Floyd also.

wassagstdu
07-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Luis Aparicio*
Floyd Robinson
Pete Ward
Gary Peters*
Tommy Agee*
Harold Baines
Ozzie Guillen*
Robin Ventura
Black Jack
Frank Thomas
Mags

Definitely Luis Aparicio. But didn't Floyd Robinson go 0-for-a whole bunch when he came up. I remember day after day my dad saying he should be sent back down and I said he would be a great hitter. I knew because the Sox wouldn't bring up a player as bad as he looked.

RustyKuntz
07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
The milkman, Herbert Perry. I believe he homered in his first at bat with the Sox.

areilly
07-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I had high hopes for Ryan Sweeney when he went 2-for-3 his first full game, but those hopes were quickly dashed when he went 0-for-6 the very next day.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Russ Morman

Ditto.

slavko
07-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Russ Morman

I may have been at his first game. A fine Sunday afternoon, Greg Walker went to the DL, Morman came up. To be young(er) again.

JB98
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
I'd also have to say Carlos Quentin. When he was acquired, I thought it was a worthless trade. Then, I watched a spring training game on television in March of 2008. Quentin homered twice, once to the opposite field. I thought, "They got a find a spot for this guy."

At the time, we were having one of the epic "Anderson vs. Owens" threads here at WSI. I posted and said that I thought Quentin should play. Daver got mad at me and told me to go start a Carlos Quentin thread. :smile:

JimmyJoe
07-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Dan Pasqua

TDog
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
The milkman, Herbert Perry. I believe he homered in his first at bat with the Sox.

No. He hit a line drive to pitcher Buddy Groom pinch-hitting for Mark Johnson in his first at bat for the Sox. Carlos Lee was doubled off third to end the inning to preserve the Orioles' 12-5 lead.

Perry homered in his next at bat, the next night against Sidney Ponson.

Over By There
07-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Some worthy nominees in this thread. First one that came to mind to me was Mike Cameron.

chisoxfanatic
07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Name the Sox players who made a very strong first impression on you, regardless of whether they lived up to it later.

Mine: Carlos Lee.
I'm going with you on that one! He's the only Sox player to have a HR in his first ML plate appearance. That alone was enough to make me a bit excited about him. He happens to be one of my 5 favorite Sox players all-time.

LongLiveFisk
07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
:pudge......

As I recall, this man came in with a lot of fanfare and delivered right away, putting a good hurtin' on his old team at Fenway. (I'm sure Fenway himself can give you the details. :cool:)

russ99
07-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I'll go with Lance Johnson. I thought he'd be another Rickey.... oops. But One-dog had a nice career with us.

And Carlos Lee's a close second. Can't remember a Sox player before or since who after a few weeks on the team I'd put his number in my hat.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Gary Peters - 1963.

He thought he was going to get cut by the team in May (in those days you could carry three more guys the first month) instead he gets an emergency start in K.C...gets the win AND hits a home run to boot. He'd go on to win 19 games and win co-rookie of the year.

19 wins and he didn't get his first start until May 6th...that's impressive.

May 6, 1963 - Making an emergency start in Kansas City, Sox pitcher Gary Peters hits the first of his 19 career home runs. It comes in the 3rd inning off Ted Bowsfield. Peters would toss eight innings allowing one run in the Sox 5 - 1 win. It was the first win in 1963 for Gary, who’d go on to collect 19 of them and win Co-Rookie Of The Year honors with teammate Pete Ward. Peters is also the franchise leader in most home runs hit by a pitcher with 15, three more then Jack Harshman.

and of course the first major league game I ever saw in person:

July 15, 1963 - Sox pitcher Gary Peters, on his way towards being named Co-Rookie Of The Year, throws a one hitter in beating the Orioles 4 - 0. Future Hall Of Fame pitcher Robin Roberts gets the start for Baltimore and gets that team’s only hit. J.C. Martin and Tommy McCraw blast two run home runs for the Sox. Peters would strike out thirteen.

Lip

SoxyStu
07-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Frank Thomas
Sammy Sosa
Jon Rauch

These two, for me, came immediately to mind for differing reasons.

Frank - such a big man who intuitively knew his k zone. What discipline.

Sosa - not so much for his swing/offense, but goddamn, before each game he would let one loose from deep right field and hit home plate on the fly. My jaw dropped.

I enjoyed those teams in the early 90s as a teenager. Cigars often whisk me away to the nostalgia of these years.

Sam Spade
07-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Did no one mention Josh Fields?

Ron Karkovice
07-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Did no one mention Josh Fields?

Awkwardddd...

Sam Spade
07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
He hit a bomb in the first at bat. Its about first impressions, not if they were right.

Lately, he sucks. He was incredibly awful tonight.

rowand33
07-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Rowand. I thought he was going to be a superstar (before it was trendy to).
Uribe
Rauch
Takatsu
Haeger (I LOVED Charlie Haeger. I'm pretty sure I thought he should start 2007 as the 5th starter over Danks)

HomeFish
07-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm going with you on that one! He's the only Sox player to have a HR in his first ML plate appearance. That alone was enough to make me a bit excited about him. He happens to be one of my 5 favorite Sox players all-time.

I believe Miguel Olivo also did that.

Sam Spade
07-21-2009, 12:09 AM
And Josh Fields!!!!1

They are the only three.

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Scott Schoeneweis is another guy I want to mention.

He took the mound for us in his first game when we traded for him at KC and he was popping 95 mph with ease. Even Hawk was like "wow."

After that he sucked.

chisoxfanatic
07-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Olivo did not homer in his first plate appearance. He drew a walk.

Sam Spade
07-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Olivo did not homer in his first plate appearance. He drew a walk.
Ha. Fair enough. Still, it seems like first at bat is more important. If a pitcher gives you nothing to hit, its out of your hands.

Madscout
07-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Brandon McCarthy

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Danks
Quentin
Olivo
Ordonez
And of course Jose Paniagua

fram40
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Sosa - not so much for his swing/offense, but goddamn, before each game he would let one loose from deep right field and hit home plate on the fly.

But he was trying to hit the cut-off man :redneck

TommyJohn
07-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Jack McDowell
Joe Crede
Frank Thomas

However, I also thought that Tim Hullett and Joel Skinner would be stars. I loved Ron Blomberg on Opening Day of 1978, then spent the rest of the year wondering what happened to him-he seemed to disappear.

A. Cavatica
07-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Danks
Quentin
Olivo
Ordonez
And of course Jose Paniagua

Paniagua is the top of my list for bad first impressions, but I didn't want to start a negative thread.

I agree with most of the posts so far. I'm puzzled by the poster (posters?) who said Robin Ventura, though. Wasn't he 0-for-30 or something at the start of his career?

guillen4life13
07-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Successes: They did their job for at least one season to really help the team:
:burly
Need I say more?
:cotts:
Was a touted prospect. Came up and wasn't great but showed promise. Then, of course, 2005 happened.
:jon
Came up as the youngest player in the majors. That alone makes him something to be excited about. Didn't end up being great, but whether it was luck or skill, his 2005 was just awesome.

"Failures" (as in they didn't come close to meeting expectations or hopes): This will be funny, but if you remember, these guys were pretty good in the first appearances or first few...

:rock
Was aaight for the Sox but once he started relieving, he was decent.
:olivo
Hit a homer in his first AB, could run and throw out runners. I remember he was touted as a catcher who could hit for avg and power, steal you 25 bases and had an arm second to only Ivan Rodriguez at the time.
:wright
The fifth starter fiasco... Dan Wright had awesome stuff and he seemed like if he could get his control in check, he could absolutely dominate.
:rauch
Top prospect in what was rated as the top farm system in the league. Got injured and didn't end up being Randy Johnson meets Tom Glavine as I hoped he would. But I was young with unrealistic expectations.

And I couldn't find pictures, but Josh Stewart is up there. Gary Glover also... even if the stats don't show it, if Gary Glover isn't pitching in 2001, the Sox don't break .500.

I've only really been a big fan since 2000. Before that, I didn't follow baseball at all, so my experience is limited.