PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Garcia to throw Monday.

JermaineDye05
07-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-20-white-sox-bits-chicago-jul20,0,7569046.story)

Looks like Freddy is finally starting to make his way back.

Chicken Dinner
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Is Garland next? :(:

GoGoCrede
07-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Best of luck to him. I'm curious to see how this goes. Rooting for you, Freddy.

Tragg
07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
So he could be with the club in, what, a month if all goes well?

Good luck, Freddie. You sure were a money pitcher for us.

Soxman219
07-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Bring the band back together!

BigP50
07-19-2009, 08:24 PM
where's Orlando Hernandez?

:bandance:

spongyfungy
07-19-2009, 08:40 PM

I think he just got released by the Rangers a few days ago

bring on the sweaty one!

kevingrt
07-19-2009, 08:43 PM

At least no one has gone to CF yet.

But I'll go out there and say where is 2005 Neal Cotts?

gobears1987
07-19-2009, 09:06 PM
At least no one has gone to CF yet.

Is Rowand available?

Harry Potter
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
But I'll go out there and say where is 2005 Neal Cotts?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113247

parlaycard
07-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Politte?

twentywontowin
07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
I know everyone has been saying how he is done, but I think Freddy has at least two more good seasons left in him. He's gone through a ton of rehab, and at age 33 his body is more than capable of recovering.

The thing is, he doesn't need to overpower batters. He needs to throw a good amount of off-speed garbage. I think with an 85-88mph fastball and an arsenal of pitches, he can find success again at the big level.

Let's see how this plays out. If he comes back strong in the minors, I'm all for the call up. When it comes to tough games down the stretch and you need a big game pitcher, Garcia is the man.

JB98
07-19-2009, 09:51 PM
I know everyone has been saying how he is done, but I think Freddy has at least two more good seasons left in him. He's gone through a ton of rehab, and at age 33 his body is more than capable of recovering.

The thing is, he doesn't need to overpower batters. He needs to throw a good amount of off-speed garbage. I think with an 85-88mph fastball and an arsenal of pitches, he can find success again at the big level.

Let's see how this plays out. If he comes back strong in the minors, I'm all for the call up. When it comes to tough games down the stretch and you need a big game pitcher, Garcia is the man.

One thing is for sure, Freddy is a tough competitor when the stakes are high. That said, any contributions he makes will be a bonus in my book.

DumpJerry
07-19-2009, 10:02 PM
I guess Big Bart is not doing as well as expected......

Domeshot17
07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
YES! Why get a starting pitcher in a pennant race when we can have 2 retreads and a 2nd year pitcher who cant get past the 5th inning!

mzh
07-19-2009, 10:43 PM

I don't get why people are saying that he is done at all. He is only 33 years old, that's plenty of time to have a few more good seasons. In the mean time, lets trade Jenks and bring back Shingo!

Foulke You
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm pulling for Freddy. He was one of my favorites. He also just might have enough pitching moxy to get by without his velocity. I'm wondering if the Sox would consider using Freddy to beef up the bullpen if there is no spot in the rotation for him? Carrasco has logged a ton of innings this year. It might not hurt to have another guy in that pen who can go long if you need him to.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm wondering if the Sox would consider using Freddy to beef up the bullpen if there is no spot in the rotation for him? Carrasco has logged a ton of innings this year. It might not hurt to have another guy in that pen who can go long if you need him to.

I seemed to remember that Freddy often would have a rough first inning (not always give up runs, but have to throw lot of pitches and face a lot of batters), but then would have an easier time starting in the second inning. It's like he needed some time to work up a good sweat. Unless my memory is faulty, or he has changed, a relief role might not be the best use for him.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Lest we forget -

Billy Koch and Jaime Navarro. :D:

Foulke You
07-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I seemed to remember that Freddy often would have a rough first inning (not always give up runs, but have to throw lot of pitches and face a lot of batters), but then would have an easier time starting in the second inning. It's like he needed some time to work up a good sweat. Unless my memory is faulty, or he has changed, a relief role might not be the best use for him.
It is true that he did struggle a bit in the 1st innings of ballgames so it could be a concern. I'm probably biased because he was one of my favorite players but if I'm in a pennant race, I'd feel a lot better handing the ball to "Big Game" Freddy Garcia in a tough middle innings situation than Poreda or Pena right now. I'm not knocking Poreda but he needs more seasoning before he can be trusted for some big outs. I just don't know enough about Pena to know if he can be trusted yet. The good news is that when rosters expand in September, the Sox can toy with the idea of using Freddy as an extra arm in that pen if they want to. You can never have too much pitching depth especially in September.

I'm thinking Freddy will have to re-invent himself as more of a junkball pitcher so who knows if he would still have the same type of struggles in his first inning of work? If we see Freddy this year, I'm expecting to see the guy we saw in the "play-in" game against Detroit last year rather than the 2005 World Series version of Freddy. Lots of slow moving breaking pitches and sinkers to get hitters out.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
It is true that he did struggle a bit in the 1st innings of ballgames so it could be a concern. I'm probably biased because he was one of my favorite players but if I'm in a pennant race, I'd feel a lot better handing the ball to "Big Game" Freddy Garcia in a tough middle innings situation than Poreda or Pena right now. I'm not knocking Poreda but he needs more seasoning before he can be trusted for some big outs. I just don't know enough about Pena to know if he can be trusted yet. The good news is that when rosters expand in September, the Sox can toy with the idea of using Freddy as an extra arm in that pen if they want to. You can never have too much pitching depth especially in September.

I'm thinking Freddy will have to re-invent himself as more of a junkball pitcher so who knows if he would still have the same type of struggles in his first inning of work? If we see Freddy this year, I'm expecting to see the guy we saw in the "play-in" game against Detroit last year rather than the 2005 World Series version of Freddy. Lots of slow moving breaking pitches and sinkers to get hitters out.

I'd like to see him have a few successful starts in Charlotte. If he does, I'd consider putting him in Richards' place in the rotation.

MetroPD
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
In the mean time, lets trade Jenks and bring back Shingo!
The Gong has been silent for far too long!!! Bring on the frisbee!

TomBradley72
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
One of the things fans/media always seem to forget is the length of time and the variation by player it takes to recover from surgery. We may get lucky and catch Garcia right at a point ( a few months later than the Mets) when he is truly prepared to recover from his shoulder surgery.

Gutsy guy who had his best seasons with the White Sox and Ozzie...

Rohan
07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
zomg is gavin going to give up #34 to freddy!?

oeo
07-21-2009, 11:21 PM
YES! Why get a starting pitcher in a pennant race when we can have 2 retreads and a 2nd year pitcher who cant get past the 5th inning!

You have to have some kind of back up plan if things don't go as planned. I highly doubt Kenny is just going to sit on his hands.

Domeshot17
07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
You have to have some kind of back up plan if things don't go as planned. I highly doubt Kenny is just going to sit on his hands.

Richard looked good yesterday, but to me relying on him freddy and fatolo to fill the 5th spot while you get up and down performances from Jose and Danks battles blisters is sitting on your hands. We are not in a position where we can punt every 5th game, we are lucky to be in the division we are, and right now, every game matters.

slavko
07-22-2009, 10:28 AM
As long as we are playing the facetious "bring back 2005" game here, I'm pining for Hermie and his giant unmentionables. He could close for my team anytime.

Foulke You
07-22-2009, 05:05 PM
As long as we are playing the facetious "bring back 2005" game here, I'm pining for Hermie and his giant unmentionables. He could close for my team anytime.
Dustin Hermanson was fantastic that year. It's too bad his back gave out on him or he could still be pitching.

WSox597
07-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Javy is in Atlanta now, no doubt doing his thing.

Speaking of not getting past the 5th inning, that is.