PDA

View Full Version : What's With The "Jenks Jinx" When It Comes To The Orioles?

Thome25
07-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I live in MD.......I almost always catch the White Sox when they play the Orioles. It seems to me like the last 3-4 times Jenks tried to close things out VS Baltimore, he's had BIG problems.

The local (Baltimore) broadcast last night even went over something called the "Jenks Jinx" when he pitches against the Orioles. They said that the O's have his number and after today's game, I'm startiing to think that they do.

I'm NOT complaining.....I'm extremely happy about today's win I'm just genuinely curious why Jenks seems to have so much trouble against the O's.

Also, did anyone notice the look on Jenks' face after the game ended and during the post-game handshakes? He almost looked like he was in tears.

Craig Grebeck
07-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I live in MD.......I almost always catch the White Sox when they play the Orioles. It seems to me like the last 3-4 times Jenks tried to close things out VS Baltimore, he's had BIG problems.

The local (Baltimore) broadcast last night even went over something called the "Jenks Jinx" when he pitches against the Orioles. They said that the O's have his number and after today's game, I'm startiing to think that they do.

I'm NOT complaining.....I'm extremely happy about today's win I'm just genuinely curious why Jenks seems to have so much trouble against the O's.

Also, did anyone notice the look on Jenks' face after the game ended and during the post-game handshakes? He almost looked like he was in tears.
Why are people so hesitant to complain? Jenks pitched like dog**** and it has been duly noted. I don't think he's a poor pitcher by any means, but we should at least consider why he's been struggling a bit.

Brian26
07-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Jenks must be channeling the negative energy of Salome Barojas from the '83 playoffs.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Is it possible that the Orioles have picked up on him unintentionally tipping pitches? For example, before he throws a fastball, does he lick his fingers and touch the back of his cap more (or less) than when he throws the curve?

SBSoxFan
07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Jenks usually does pitch poorly against Baltimore. They showed his stats against Baltimore when he came in and he was something like 2-2 with a 7.23 ERA. Despite that, he did have 6 saves, now 7 against them. I think it's a combination of poor location and poor pitch selection. For example, the pitch Roberts singled on was a bad choice.

I'm glad it's only Baltimore. I'm not the least bit concerned with Jenks against any other team.

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Some teams just have a guy's number. There really is no explanation for it.

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2009, 07:59 PM
why are people so hesitant to complain? Jenks pitched like dog**** and it has been duly noted. I don't think he's a poor pitcher by any means, but we should at least consider why he's been struggling a bit.

A) 3.48 1.10 .230 21 saves
B) 3.13 1.14 .233 27 saves
C) 2.37 0.89 .215 24 saves

Just curious which one is pitching like a dog **** closer?

drewcifer
07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Is it possible that the Orioles have picked up on him unintentionally tipping pitches? For example, before he throws a fastball, does he lick his fingers and touch the back of his cap more (or less) than when he throws the curve?

Yes, the Orioles and their stellar record, and team of 26 year olds have performed that kind of analysis on a White Sox closer succesfully.

I'm not the least bit concerned with Jenks against any other team.

I am. His periphs go down and down every year. Screws are coming loose.

He's a 4 ERA closer with a low WHIP and no walks. Know what that means?

People are hitting the **** out of him!

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
He's a 4 ERA closer with a low WHIP and no walks. Now what that means? People are hitting the **** out of him.

Really a .230 BA is hitting the **** out of him?

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, the Orioles and their stellar record, and team of 26 year olds have performed that kind of analysis on a White Sox closer succesfully.

If the Orioles played in any NL division or the AL Central, they would be over .500 and probably near the top of the standings. Their record against the AL East and West is bad, but they did quite well during interleague play and against the AL Central.

drewcifer
07-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Really a .230 BA is hitting the **** out of him?

It's not great. And keep in mind you're talking about a reliever role where average is PROJECTED. ****ing Linebrink was walking around with 2 ERA also.

When he sucks, he sucks.

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2009, 08:10 PM
It's not great.

So we have gone from getting the **** out of him to not great. Just trying to follow. Mariano's is .215 and Paplebon's is .225 by the way.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM
So we have gone from getting the **** out of him to not great. Just trying to follow. Mariano's is .215 and Paplebon's is .225 by the way.

Now those are some nice closer numbers.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM

It's a myth. It's an annoying one too just like the Metrodome nonesense to go along with the "pitchers we haven't seen."

Pitch the ball, hit ball, catch the ball.

drewcifer
07-18-2009, 08:16 PM
It's a myth. It's an annoying one too just like the Metrodome nonesense to go along with the "pitchers we haven't seen."

No, our closer came in and **** 2 runs and 3 hits (all earned), but he has a great OBA so you're an idiot. :rolleyes:

Mod Edit: Wow a twofer - personal attack and a language violation. This time you are banned for two weeks. And again, it has nothing to do with your opinions on Bobby Jenks...

drewcifer
07-18-2009, 08:17 PM
now those are some nice closer numbers.

lol

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
No, our closer came in and **** 2 runs and 3 hits (all earned), but he has a great OBA so you're an idiot. :rolleyes:

Don't call me an idiot. I am not defending Jenks. I think he has sucked lately. It doesn't take the Orioles for me to determine that. That's what my point is.

Marqhead
07-18-2009, 09:40 PM

I just saw this highlight. Jenks definitely looked overly frustrated. The clip I saw he was yelling into his mitt, and then he violently whipped out his dip and threw it at the ground.

I think he's just angry at himself because he hasn't been pitching particularly well lately. I'm glad to see he holds himself to a high standard.

Patrick134
07-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I just saw this highlight. Jenks definitely looked overly frustrated. The clip I saw he was yelling into his mitt, and then he violently whipped out his dip and threw it at the ground.

I think he's just angry at himself because he hasn't been pitching particularly well lately. I'm glad to see he holds himself to a high standard.

Amen, he's an awesome competitor, and a great closer.

thedudeabides
07-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Why are people so hesitant to complain? Jenks pitched like dog**** and it has been duly noted. I don't think he's a poor pitcher by any means, but we should at least consider why he's been struggling a bit.

I don't see anyone hesitating to complain. I think he has been underused the last month. He seems a bit out of rhythm. He's at his best when he is getting regular work.

As far as him struggling against Baltimore, it's probably coincidence or just a bit mental. I haven't checked the numbers to see if it's the same guys beating him.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Meanwhile, Joe Nathan has almost 24 innings of not allowing a run.

That's "greatness" right there.

JB98
07-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Jenks has trouble getting Brian Roberts out. That's why he struggles against the Orioles.

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Jenks has trouble getting Brian Roberts out. That's why he struggles against the Orioles.

Melvin Mora has 5 hits in 7 ABs v. Jenks.

Craig Grebeck
07-19-2009, 09:24 AM
A) 3.48 1.10 .230 21 saves
B) 3.13 1.14 .233 27 saves
C) 2.37 0.89 .215 24 saves

Just curious which one is pitching like a dog **** closer?
I don't really think it could be any more clear that I meant yesterday.

kittle42
07-19-2009, 10:12 AM

By the way, we had never seen Bergen, but I'm sure people and their biased memories will forget that one the next time a rookie pitches well against the Sox.

Marqhead
07-19-2009, 10:29 AM
By the way, we had never seen Bergen, but I'm sure people and their biased memories will forget that one the next time a rookie pitches well against the Sox.

His first start this year...

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=29204

Lip Man 1
07-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Love:

It's not a myth when you lose 11 of 13 nor when ten guys that you've never seen before have beaten you. (and many of them have bad records against the rest of the league...)

That's not an opinion, that's what the record shows.

Lip

kittle42
07-19-2009, 10:47 AM
His first start this year...

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=29204

I meant Berken. I guess I went with a combo of the two!

Marqhead
07-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I meant Berken. I guess I went with a combo of the two!

Gotcha. I had forgotten who pitched Friday, but I knew we had been beat by Bergesen.

oeo
07-19-2009, 11:44 AM

I think it's pretty simple: bad command. It doesn't look like he's hurting or anything, just a slump.

LoveYourSuit
07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Love:

It's not a myth when you lose 11 of 13 nor when ten guys that you've never seen before have beaten you. (and many of them have bad records against the rest of the league...)

That's not an opinion, that's what the record shows.

Lip

Yes Lip.

Someone on the score a few weeks back came up with the stats that EVERYONE around baseball struggles against pitchers they see for the first time. Not just the Sox. Everyone.

Same goes for the Metrodome. The Sox went 6-3 when they won the Championship in 2005. We can win there and play good at that park. Lately we have struggled there but maybe perhaps is because we have not been that good and the Twins have been good? Prior to us losing 2 of 3 there last weekend, the Yankees had just got done spanking those clowns 3 straight there for a sweep at the Dome. Good teams find ways to win. Period.

JC456
07-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Melvin Mora has 5 hits in 7 ABs v. Jenks.
Melvin Mora has a career against all Sox Pitchers as do several others in the league. i.e Vernon Wells, Mark Teahan, Mike Sweeney, Joe Maur, Jason Morneau, Michael Cuddyer, Torey Hunter and on and on...

I'm still trying to figure out why Cooper gets so much credit.

Pitchers come in and can't throw strikes. They act like they're afraid to throw to the hitters. They also seem to use the fastball way to frequently. How about a change up or slider once in a while. That to me was Jenks problem on Saturday.

I bet if someone had the time to look it up the Sox lead off walk stat for that player scoring is higher than the entire league.

hi im skot
07-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Melvin Mora has a career against all Sox Pitchers as do several others in the league. i.e Vernon Wells, Mark Teahan, Mike Sweeney, Joe Maur, Jason Morneau, Michael Cuddyer, Torey Hunter and on and on...

You realize that the majority of the players you named have great career numbers period, right?

asindc
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why Cooper gets so much credit.

Pitchers come in and can't throw strikes. They act like they're afraid to throw to the hitters. They also seem to use the fastball way to frequently. How about a change up or slider once in a while. That to me was Jenks problem on Saturday.

I bet if someone had the time to look it up the Sox lead off walk stat for that player scoring is higher than the entire league.

Jose Contreras
Jon Garland
Gavin Floyd
Bobby Jenks
Estaban Loiaza
Duston Hermanson
Neil Cotts
Cliff Politte

All of these pitchers have pitched significantly better playing for the Sox than anywhere else they have played. That's why Cooper is consistently praised. Or are you forgetting about the good results these pitchers have produced while playing here?

As for BBJ, I think it's a case of the O's having a couple of guys that just have his number, like Mora and Roberts (who I think is batting over .450 against him). By contrast, he seems to pitch exceptionally well against Detroit. If you listen to retired pitchers, they sometimes talk about the hitters and teams they always had problems with, no matter the hitter's or team's overall numbers.

It happens. I'm just upset about it because it makes it more likely that BBJ will struggle when I see the Sox play in Baltimore.

gobears1987
07-20-2009, 01:51 PM
You realize that the majority of the players you named have great career numbers period, right?
Ding! Mauer and Morneau kill everyone and heck we held Mauer in check last week. If he had made a claim that Lew Ford made a career against the Sox, then he'd be right.

That's what I hate when people list Sox killers. They end up listing great hitters who do well against us and everyone else in the league. Grady Sizemore is not a Sox killer. Travis Hafner is not a Sox killer. Justin Morneau is not a Sox killer. They are great hitters who kill just about every team. It would be like calling Thome a Sox killer when he was on the Tribe. A true Sox killer is someone like the previously mentioned Lew Ford.

gobears1987
07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Jose Contreras
Jon Garland
Gavin Floyd
Bobby Jenks
Estaban Loiaza
Duston Hermanson
Neil Cotts
Cliff Politte

You forgot one of the biggest ones: Matt Thornton. There were probably 25+ teams that wouldn't touch him and Coop fixed him.

asindc
07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
You forgot one of the biggest ones: Matt Thornton. There were probably 25+ teams that wouldn't touch him and Coop fixed him.

Good call. I knew I was leaving someone off the list.

TDog
07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Jenks must be channeling the negative energy of Salome Barojas from the '83 playoffs.

You struck a nerve.

They didn't really have playoffs in 1983. There was the League Championship Series to determine who would get to the World Series. No one with any respect for baseball would ever call the World Series "the playoffs," just as no one with any respect for the NFL would call the Super Bowl "the playoffs." Anyway, I reluctantly had to go into work after Tito Landrum hit his home run off Britt Burns and say Barojas coming in.

I was in my car, listenting to the radio (didn't have the ALCS on the radio where I lived) and the announcer played the Police song King of Pain for White Sox fans as the Orioles had taken a 3-0 lead.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Love:

Again in fact a number of these guys who have made the Sox offense look totally impotent this season (to use one example) are getting beat up pretty good by the rest of the league.

How is that explained?

Just one of those things?....I'd buy that if they weren't doing it so often. It seems to me to be way above what you'd expect the law of averages to be no?

And the record at the Metrodome has gotten worse every season since 2005 - 6-3, 5-5, 4-5, 1-8 the last four complete seasons...plus you had the record at the Dome of 7-21 from 2001 through 2003, plus of course you had the ten game losing streak in Oakland and the current ten game losing streak at Toronto. Those just don't ad up to me considering the Sox have been a pretty good team for a decade, we're not talking the Pirates, Royals or Nationals here are we?

I submit that in the Dome or against pitchers they've never seen before the Sox start to press mentally, it effects them physically and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. (Granted these are big league players but they are also human beings and subject to the same issues as you or I)

Lip

JC456
07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Yes I do. But if you look at their stats against White Sox pitching their stats are well above their career numbers by average.