19 SBs, #7 in MLB
.876 OPS, #1 in MLB

The Immigrant
07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Fire Greg Walker! :tongue:

BigP50
07-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Fire Greg Walker! :tongue:

now there are gonna be a bunch of give Walker a pay raise threads, haha.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:02 PM
now there are gonna be a bunch of give Walker a pay raise threads, haha.

Walker should get credit here. Getz, Beckham, & Alexei have turned things around nicely.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 07:22 PM
But we still have 1 guy that Greg can't fix!

TDog
07-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Outs on the bases actually boost your team batting average. Everyone gets three outs in an inning. In a nine inning game, a team is going to get 24 or 27 outs.

Every doubleplay, every caught stealing every sacrifice hit or sacrifice fly, every runner picked off or thrown out at a base is one out that isn't made at the plate.

So if you want to get excited about team batting average, cool your anger over the runners getting thrown out on the bases or hitting into doubleplays. It's even possible to get six straight hits and not score, though I've never seen it done.

Wins, of course, mean more than averages.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Outs on the bases actually boost your team batting average. Everyone gets three outs in an inning. In a nine inning game, a team is going to get 24 or 27 outs.

Every doubleplay, every caught stealing every sacrifice hit or sacrifice fly, every runner picked off or thrown out at a base is one out that isn't made at the plate.

So if you want to get excited about team batting average, cool your anger over the runners getting thrown out on the bases or hitting into doubleplays. It's even possible to get six straight hits and not score, though I've never seen it done.

:whatever:

SOXfnNlansing
07-18-2009, 07:53 PM

:scratch:

slavko
07-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Unfire Greg Walker!

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 08:07 PM

You are on fire today but you better slow down, you are gonna blow alot of minds if you keep dropping big picture gems on those hell bent on analyzing and hating on every single pitch that the Sox don't knock into the seats. Oh no that's right, home runs suck too. If the Sox aren't grinding their way to 10 run wins each and every game, all is lost...

TDog
07-18-2009, 08:14 PM
:scratch:

If the White Sox don't have two runners thrown out at the plate, if Podsednik grounds out to second (the fundamental way to get a runner from second over to third with none out) instead of sacrificing, their team batting average for the game falls from .333 to .305.

I think it's great the Sox are hitting better. I knew they would hit better. I have always liked Greg Walker as a hitting coach. But you don't win because of your averages. The 1930 Phillies hit .315 as a team for the season. They finished in last place, 50 games below .500 and 40 games out of first.

Averages are simply not as important as winning. I'm happy to see the White Sox are winning, although many seem to be upset that the Sox only won by one run.

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Some interesting stats for team batting over the past 30 days:

Hitting .300 as a team, leading all of MLB as a team
151 runs scored, #2 in AL and all of MLB
54 doubles, #2 in AL, 4th in MLB
39 HRs, #1 in MLB
19 SBs, #7 in MLB
.876 OPS, #1 in MLB

That's impressive. Lets hope it keeps up for the rest of the season.

TomBradley72
07-18-2009, 08:23 PM

The point of the thread was broader than just batting average. WSox are #2 in runs scored in the same time period....a pretty good indication of their ability to score runs in their current configuration.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I think the presence of a running game has helped the offense. The Sox have three legitimate stolen base threats in Pods, Alexei and Getz, and all three of them can take the extra base. Pitchers and defenses have to adjust to them, and thus the hitters are getting more meatballs and more holes in the defense.

Demps2
07-18-2009, 08:55 PM
The Sox have a lot of streaky hitters. Look at some of the stats they throw up on the screen (ie Dye hitting .420 for the last few weeks). While I hope they keep this up, to expect .300 the rest of this year is probably unrealistic. If they can hit .270 with good power numbers they'll be okay.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I am thrilled to see that. If Carlos comes back healthy, we will get a huge boost. Of course, there is a lot of season left, and we know this Sox offense all too well. At times they look like the 27 Yankees, and at other times they look like the 2009 Charlotte Knights. Hopefully they can keep this up.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I am thrilled to see that. If Carlos comes back healthy, we will get a huge boost. Of course, there is a lot of season left, and we know this Sox offense all too well. At times they look like the 27 Yankees, and at other times they look like the 2009 Charlotte Knights. Hopefully they can keep this up.

I just hope it goes on long enough to bury the Tigers and Twins and build a big lead in the division, so that when it inevitably subsides their Halladay-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks rotation can carry them them far in the postseason.
:D:

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2009, 09:13 PM

Wow.
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/042/c/5/Smashing_Me_by_BuzzKillingtonplz.jpg

twinsuck
07-18-2009, 09:53 PM
:D: nice!!

TDog
07-18-2009, 10:32 PM
The point of the thread was broader than just batting average. WSox are #2 in runs scored in the same time period....a pretty good indication of their ability to score runs in their current configuration.

I don't have any problems with the offense. I didn't have any problem with the offense in May (you could look at my posting record, although I can't imagine anyone having so much time on their hands that they would do such a thing). When people were saying this team was headed for 90-plus losses because they couldn't hit with runners in scoring position, I argued that that would improve as the season progressed. I have no problems with the starting pitching or the bullpen. I disagree with some of Guillen's moves, whether they work out or not, but I have no problem with Guillen and his coaching staff. I wasn't predicting the end of the world as we know it when the Sox only won one game in Minnesota last weekend.

I knew the Sox would hit and score runs. I knew they wouldn't be shut down today after scoring in double-digits Friday night as some people insist they always do.

I just think people here have a tendency to overreact to statistics.

MISoxfan
07-19-2009, 02:55 AM
I can't believe anyone is trying to put a negative spin on this.

TDog
07-19-2009, 03:24 AM
I can't believe anyone is trying to put a negative spin on this.

I haven't been trying to put a negative spin on this. I'm just trying to put things in perspective. In game threads during the last month, when players have been thrown out on the bases, I've noted that it would help improve the team batting average to placate some of the whining about the offense. Of course, teal was implied, and other posters responded that they didn't care.

I was defending the Sox offense when they people were complaining about the number of times the team was being shut out. I see no reason to stop defending Sox hitters now that the stats back me up.

Even if a couple of the stats are inflated.

MisterB
07-19-2009, 06:25 AM
I think it's great the Sox are hitting better. I knew they would hit better. I have always liked Greg Walker as a hitting coach. But you don't win because of your averages. The 1930 Phillies hit .315 as a team for the season. They finished in last place, 50 games below .500 and 40 games out of first.

Just for context's sake, the N.L. as a league hit .303 that year.

Their pitching staff was also a run and a half worse than any other team in the league.

SOXfnNlansing
07-19-2009, 10:39 AM
I guess there are posters on here who can find holes in a Sox 14 game winning streak too. The beef in April and May was the Sox weren't hitting. Now they are hitting and piling up some wins. This is the 4th home series in a row we've won.

07-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Just for context's sake, the N.L. as a league hit .303 that year.

Their pitching staff was also a run and a half worse than any other team in the league.

How's he supposed to get his irrational points across when you keep putting it into context?

Red Barchetta
07-19-2009, 10:43 AM

I agree. With the resurgance of Pods, I almost forgot about Quentin, however by keeping Pods in the lineup and moving him to CF, we're basically replaced Wise/Anderson with Quentin in the lineup which is a huge upgrade!

I think our offense will be fine. On any given day, any of the starting 9 hitters can carry this team. The pitching and defense will be the key to the second half.

cws05champ
07-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Walker should get credit here. Getz, Beckham, & Alexei have turned things around nicely.
Walker shouldn't get the credit as he shouldn't have received all the blame for the down period. Alexei is a slow starter, you could see Beckham was going to hit even when his avg was down. Getz has turned it around and if that because Walker, great. I was one of the many that was calling for his firing, not because he wasn't doing his job, but the team needed a boost of some sort.

TDog
07-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Walker shouldn't get the credit as he shouldn't have received all the blame for the down period. Alexei is a slow starter, you could see Beckham was going to hit even when his avg was down. Getz has turned it around and if that because Walker, great. I was one of the many that was calling for his firing, not because he wasn't doing his job, but the team needed a boost of some sort.

And yet, they got the boost without firing Walker.

There was nothing irrational about my insisting the White Sox shouldn't fire Walker when the team had a low batting average, and there is nothing irrational about my points in this thread. I found the endless posts insisting Walker must be sacked every time the Sox went a couple innings without getting a hit to be quite irrational, just as the people insisting there is a Jenks problem, or a bullpen problem in general, are being irrational.

People overreact to things here at WSI. And if they don't win today, there will no doubt be people irrationally predicting disaster, no matter how well the team is hitting.

TomBradley72
07-19-2009, 12:51 PM

While they've been at the top of the league in the all the categories I mentioned...they are 8th in the AL in grounding in to double plays, middle of the pack in stolen base percentage over the past 30 days, middle of the pack in sacrifice flies, they are 3rd in sacrifice hits...so they might rely on that more than the typical team.

oeo
07-19-2009, 12:55 PM

Beckham turned things around from what, exactly? He played bad for about a week. Getz has attributed his recent success to talking to Pods of all people. Alexei, it appears, just can't play in cold weather.

PhillipsBubba
07-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Podsednik, Beckham and Getz have energized the batting order...not to mention the resurgence of Alexei Ramirez.